Question Re: towel usage.

Here's the official Yahoo Answer:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080718100043AAGK6iv

And then there is the flushing!

Always flush with the lid down.
According to Charles Gerba, PhD, a professor of microbiology at University of Arizona in Tucson, flushing the toilet with the lid up is not wise. "Polluted water vapor erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl and it can take several hours for these particles to finally settle -- not to mention where," he says. "If you have your toothbrush too close to the toilet, you are brushing your teeth with what's in your toilet." http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/germs-in-bathroom

and on the towels too!! eeeek!!!

if you use a measuring cup for water do you put it back in the cupboard after using it?
Yes. I don't even wash a knife that's only been used to cut bread--well when it's just me anyway.
after dishes isn't the food that is stuck in the strainer clean?
Yes but only briefly. Many of their chemical components start to decay quickly when exposed to air, and they will also attract microorganisms.
have you ever wiped a fork off on your shirt (or jeans) and put it back in the drawer?
Not even when I was living on campus. I'll re-use a water glass without washing it, and as I mentioned I'm not too scared of bread knives since bread doesn't go bad quickly. But I draw the line at just about anything else. And I'm not going to eat with something that has touched my dirty clothes.
Do you wash the bottom of you feet when you take a shower?
Not specifically, at least not during the 75% of the year when I never go barefoot. As someone else pointed out, your feet are standing in running, soapy water. So unless you've been jogging barefoot through a dog park there's probably nothing down there that won't come off with a good soapy rinse.
How about showering itself?
The U.S. Marines have to learn to shower in thirty seconds. That's pretty water-efficient. The infrastructure here in the Washington DC region is abominable and we've had several long power outages. I was able to take a decent shower in one minute to save the hot water. Of course I couldn't do my hair but Marines don't have any.
Or wiping your arse for that matter?
Back home in California my wife has one of those Japanese toilets with the built-in bidet. Quite a luxury. I'm not sure if it uses enough water and warm air to equal the carbon footprint of toilet paper, but it's a lot more comfortable than most brands of TP.

My office building gets a brand of TP called "Heavenly," which is aptly named. I haven't been able to find it anywhere, apparently it's only sold wholesale.
And throw it away? Tsk!
Paper towels are remarkably sturdy. You can throw them in the washer and dryer reuse them a couple of times. They lose their quilting but they're fine for cleaning up spills.

If you ever pull a pair of pants out of the dryer and say, "Oh crap, I left a paper towel in my pocket," don't throw it away!
Always flush with the lid down. According to Charles Gerba, PhD, a professor of microbiology at University of Arizona in Tucson, flushing the toilet with the lid up is not wise. "Polluted water vapor erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl and it can take several hours for these particles to finally settle -- not to mention where," he says. "If you have your toothbrush too close to the toilet, you are brushing your teeth with what's in your toilet."
I am convinced that this is one of the reasons younger people have such screwed up immune systems. They're never given a chance to calibrate themselves against real toxins! So in confusion they attack perfectly healthy foods (allergies), harmless molecules in the air (asthma) and even your own cells (fibromyalgia and other autoimmune disorders).

Have you ever stopped to wonder where wheat allergies came from? Certainly not inherited from one's ancestors: anyone who couldn't eat bread in the Middle Ages would have starved to death before his third birthday. Or peanut allergies? Half the kids I went to school with ate peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. That's all their parents could afford. How about being allergic to dogs? They ran loose all over town, no one could have avoided coming close to one. Or perfume? One of the things that made life pleasant; all women wore it.

When my wife and I were in Mexico, she duct-taped her mouth shut in the shower to avoid getting one drop of water in her system. I rinsed my mouth with the stuff after brushing my teeth. Guess which one of us got dysentery?

When my wife and I were in Mexico, she duct-taped her mouth shut in the shower to avoid getting one drop of water in her system. I rinsed my mouth with the stuff after brushing my teeth. Guess which one of us got dysentery?

Originally posted by Fraggle Rocker

Hmmmm.......but did you swallow?

(I can't believe I just posted that, and to a mod no less, lol....) :)

As a teen, I was a Sunday school teacher, but I outgrew my conditioning.

For a while the JW's and the Mormons were in a rivalry for my affections after I excommunicated from Anglican-hood.

I sold my soul to nature......a pagan solitaire. :D

Hmmmm.......but did you swallow?
Of course not, but still some of those microorganisms would have managed to stay in my mouth when I spat out the water, and they'd find their way into my body. My point is that they were small enough in number that my immune system was able to do its job and create the antibodies for them. Just as happens with the entire population of Mexico and most underdeveloped tropical regions.

Don't we all eat a pound of fecal matter every month, or something like that?

Stop caring about being clean, it's an illusion. Smelling good is enough.

All I can say is ewwww! As one of four children in a family I strongly support the "to each his own towel" movement. Strange to say, I do not wish to wipe myself down with the same towel that has been in someone else's ass crack :eek:

This ^^^

Even as an only child, never shared a towel with anyone.

With two feral children (5.5 year old and a 4 year old), towels are not shared and washed after two days, same for my own towel. Half the time they air dry anyway since they get out of the shower and brush their teeth, by which time their bodies have air dried.. so it's not a huge deal. It's mostly used to dry their hair.

Towels have to dry properly after each use and they have to dry quickly, so they don't start errr growing unwanted stuff on them. In winter sometimes the humidity is high and towels may not dry quickly, I do put out clean ones daily.

Hand towels I wash daily regardless. Two feral children washing hands constantly each time they go to the toilet or play in mud or god knows what else (which they do daily)... nuff said really... Thankfully they have yet to have come down with gastro from home. Eldest only came down with it once when he first started daycare when he was 3 and never since. :D

Don't we all eat a pound of fecal matter every month, or something like that?
Half an ounce a day? That seems like quite an exaggeration. Perhaps people who live in less developed regions, fertilize their food plants with manure, and eat the fruit and vegetables without washing them, can ingest that much or more.

The fecal matter we ingest is more likely to be simply floating around in the air, as a result of the mechanisms already discussed on this thread, whence it settles onto our food and water, or simply gets into our bodies when we breathe. I don't think we get 15 grams of it a day that way.
Stop caring about being clean, it's an illusion. Smelling good is enough.
I don't think there's anything wrong with striving for cleanliness. After all, despite the truth of the assertions on this thread, the spread of many pathogens is facilitated by poor hygiene. Of course it's possible to overdo it, but each culture has its own standards. What constitutes "smelling good" certainly varies wildly from one population to another.

It's one thing to keep your immune system calibrated by introducing it to routine small amounts of environmental pathogens. But it's quite another to be just plain dirty.

Back