Pathological Skepticsm.

candy said:
Spontaneous healing has been documented many times in medical records.
Only a pathological skeptic would deny this reality.

I believe you, because when I cut myself fixing up my house, I stop bleeding in a very short time, and my body heals itself over time. What is there to be skeptical about in the bodies natural process of healing? The healing, is by definition, 'spontaneous' because I do not have to initiate it, it does that itself.

Mr Anonymous said:
Well, Like Martin Luther King, I too have a dream..... ;)

ahh perhaps you misunderstood

"hah! so we have gone down this road several times!" was in reference to earthers and their periodic space fads (which you mention....spielberg and clinton)

phlogistician said:
I believe you, because when I cut myself fixing up my house, I stop bleeding in a very short time, and my body heals itself over time. What is there to be skeptical about in the bodies natural process of healing? The healing, is by definition, 'spontaneous' because I do not have to initiate it, it does that itself.

On an old (I believe defunct) television show called Unsolved Mysteries, there was a story of a young woman who very suddenly came down with an extremely rare condition that causes intense pain throughout the nervous system. Basically your whole body is in pain, and even being on the maximum dosage of morphine, she was still uncomfortable.

This was a very rare disorder, and according to what the doctors and the literature had told the mother of this young woman, the chances of any type of recovery were extremely low, almost unheard of.

The mother recounts that she had gotten a very strong impression, like the notion had been implanted in her mind, that in her words "they were going to see a miracle." She had this very strong feeling that there was going to be a complete recovery, and that it was going to be more or less divine in nature, basically a religious miracle.

I think she had somehow organized a large prayer circle of sorts, and though I forget all the details, the "miracle" did happen, and the girl recovered spontaneously.

The cause of that particular condition (I do not remember its name) are unknown, and a spontaneous recovery of that nature would most definitely be considered statistically miraculous. Unless by some slim chance she had been misdiagnosed, but what other condition would cause those symptoms and disappear without being known, I personally couldn't say.
Maybe it was just a coincidence that the mother had the premonition that a miracle would occur?

I believe candy was referring to instances like this, where the odds of any type of recovery are extremely slim, not cutting your finger and witnessing the "miracles" of blood clotting and wound healing!

Giambattista said:
On an old (I believe defunct) television show called Unsolved Mysteries,

Woah, must be true if it was featured on a sensationalist TV show!

I believe candy was referring to instances like this, where the odds of any type of recovery are extremely slim, not cutting your finger and witnessing the "miracles" of blood clotting and wound healing!

Instances like what? Fabrication and hearsay?

Gustav said:
ahh perhaps you misunderstood

"hah! so we have gone down this road several times!" was in reference to earthers and their periodic space fads (which you mention....spielberg and clinton)

Ah, that'd probably be where the "2 in the am" would be coming into the rest of it - late, not reading properly. My bad.

I have known people who have had unexplained healings. Knowing real people who have had experiences is more real to me than any book ever could be. I understand that the televangilist Pat Robertson has a book coming out this month that does document a number of "miracle healings" so if you must read about something to believe it you can check out the book and it's references. Since I do not need to read about it to know it is true I will not be reading the book so would someone let me know if it is any good.

phlogistician said:
Woah, must be true if it was featured on a sensationalist TV show!

Are you even FAMILIAR with that particular show?
Sensationalist? SURE you're familiar with it???

I used to watch that show all the time. 1 hour of unsolved mysteries, including the paranormal. MOST of these mysteries were unsolved crimes, murders, disappearances/kidnappings, and people's searches for lost loved ones/separated family members or friends. Most were very down-to-earth mysteries. The show generally featured no more than one case per show that would have any paranormal aspect to it. The rest were "mundane".

From what I understand of the show just from watching it, and the people they interviewed (it was syndicated on a major television network for years), they did pretty good research, and from the amount of years it ran, I never heard anyone accuse it of fabricating anything.
They helped solve quite a number of hitherto unsolved crimes, and helped people get in touch with their lost friends and family, due to their call-in service for anonymous tips. When they showed re-runs, they would sometimes give an update if a particular case had been solved.

Why would you call that sensational?

phlogistician said:
Instances like what? Fabrication and hearsay?

Are you making a sensational claim that they ALL must be fabrication or hearsay? Is this a fact that you can prove?

I just presented that story as an example of the type of "miraculous" healing Candy was probably referring to. I didn't exactly imply that the miracle had to be supernatural or paranormal.

candy said:
I have known people who have had unexplained healings. Knowing real people who have had experiences is more real to me than any book ever could be. I understand that the televangilist Pat Robertson has a book coming out this month that does document a number of "miracle healings" so if you must read about something to believe it you can check out the book and it's references. Since I do not need to read about it to know it is true I will not be reading the book so would someone let me know if it is any good.

The very fact that Pat Robertson wrote it would ensure that myself, and a number of other people probably won't be reading it! Robertson is less than appealing.

I'm sure there are numerous other books written by persons who are not as offensive, and are probably better as well. ;)

Gustav said:
One theory is that it comes from the "woo-ooo" sound made by a Theramin, the electronic instrument often used in old horror films to emphasize that something strange or mysterious was happening (such as the appearance of a ghost or alien).

Funny instrument! Pretty antiquated, too, as far as electronic instruments.

Ever heard of the Telharmonium? Huge old electronic keyboard instrument from over a hundred years ago. Kind of interesting. Especially since it had a microtonal keyboard (36 keys per octave).

http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/telharmonium/

Giambattista, It's all pearls before swine. I'd love to tell you about a personal experience of a similar nature, but I'm not going to leave myself open to the miracle of consistent scorn, parading as informed opinion on this forum. Let me know if you'd like to know more and I'll pm you. You are searching for truth among the ego driven. The lost souls seek sustenance by sucking hope, joy, and the miracle of discovery, out of the living body of dynamic science. They know nothing of the real "spirit" of science, much less the science of the spirit. Their heads are so far up their own asses they use special braille computers for the willfully blind.

Agitprop said:
Giambattista, It's all pearls before swine. I'd love to tell you about a personal experience of a similar nature, but I'm not going to leave myself open to the miracle of consistent scorn, parading as informed opinion on this forum. Let me know if you'd like to know more and I'll pm you. You are searching for truth among the ego driven. The lost souls seek sustenance by sucking hope, joy, and the miracle of discovery, out of the living body of dynamic science. They know nothing of the real "spirit" of science, much less the science of the spirit. Their heads are so far up their own asses they use special braille computers for the willfully blind.

= you know it doesn't bear scrutiny, and despite being involved, couldn't summon enough evidence to convince anybody.

Are you even familiar with Unsolved Mysteries?

Or did you condemn its corpse without even a proper burial?

Agitprop said:

I would say... hmmm. Yes, in certain ways, you are absolutely right. Some people say "Guilty, until proven innocent!"

By all means, PM me, and tell me your personal experience. I can't guarantee I'll be a 100% taker, but you'll find more sympathy from me than you will from the likes of Phlogistician, or his kind!

Forum-Skeptics would make terrible scientists, real science requires little leaps of faith and a great deal of intuition before compelling evidence or data is actually arrived at. That is something these people are loath to do, although to be fair they are useful at propping up pre-existing 'facts' and theories, not much else though.

heliocentric said:
Forum-Skeptics would make terrible scientists, real science requires little leaps of faith and a great deal of intuition before compelling evidence or data is actually arrived at. That is something these people are loath to do, although to be fair they are useful at propping up pre-existing 'facts' and theories, not much else though.

Yes. Imagination to come up with the theory, but then you have to scientifically prove it.

Giambattista said:
I would say... hmmm. Yes, in certain ways, you are absolutely right. Some people say "Guilty, until proven innocent!"

By all means, PM me, and tell me your personal experience. I can't guarantee I'll be a 100% taker, but you'll find more sympathy from me than you will from the likes of Phlogistician, or his kind!

I sent my story to you in PM form. Please let me know if you recieved it. I'm not looking for sympathy, in this regard. You were to be contacted

Agitprop said:
I sent my story to you in PM form. Please let me know if you recieved it. I'm not looking for sympathy, in this regard. You were to be contacted

Hey! I'll give sympathy where it is due! Like I said, I am much better at dispensing such gifts than that OTHER person you were talking to.

That said, I got your message, and I am going to read it just a little bit later. Don't you worry!

The Devil Inside said:
could i read it, agitprop?

Where do you stand on the paranormal and religious misticism? I'd have to get a sense of where you're at, or I wouldn't bother. If you're an open minded skeptic, that's okay.

Hello. I read your letter.

Certainly bizarre, if it is indeed true. I'd have to know you better if I was to place 100% faith in your story, though!

I've had similar instances occur, but not as weird as that, exactly!

Back