Our attitude concerning mockery of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon

or did Einstein plagiarize from the people that went before him? According to Michael: yes.
Two things here.

One, Einstein was a brilliant person no doubt. He worked with other people, such as Schrödinger. Whom without such profound insight he would have never achieved what he did.

Two, do we say the Jewish equation e=mc^2? Is this Jewish math? Jewish Science? Because Muslims LOVE to talk about Muslim science. It's a European Dark Age but Muslim Science. Greek mathematics verses Muslims mathematics.

Can you see how stupid it is to say "Muslim Mathematics"? Along with Islamic Golden Age it's part and parcel of "Muslim" indoctrination.

Calculus, Christian Math - how stupid.
Michael

So let me see, if we say Jewish Noble Prize winners, that's wrong?

We say Muslim President for a Muslim president. Whats wrong with that?

We say Islamic country for countries where a majority are Muslims.

We say Islamic science for the science that was practised by the first or early Muslims. Its the defining characteristic of the scientists.

We also say Greek Philosophy, Indian astronomy etc, but Muslims are ethnically diverse, so saying Arab science or Persian science is less informative than saying Islamic science. Its how western historians define it.

Whenever every verse of the Quran was reveealed, it was written down and memorized and this was witnessed by more then a few people. The whole history of the QUran being written down is recorded in the Hadith for one.
You do not know who wrote down which part or when the Quran was finished do you?

Just agree, yes Michael, we really have no clue as to who wrote down what parts and we have absolutely not idea as to the day it was completely let alone the year :)

That's a fact we can all agree to,
Michael

PS: I only mention this as SAM was referring to the "Muslim" citation method.

The citation was developed (or formalised) for Hadith not Quran. It is the Muslim citation, unless you are claiming that the Hadith is not Islamic in origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isnad

You do not know who wrote down which part or when the Quran was finished do you?

Just agree, yes Michael, we really have no clue as to who wrote down what parts and we have absolutely not idea as to the day it was completely let alone the year :)

That's a fact we can all agree to,
Michael

Not really, we've already been through this:

The Qur’an was written down by Muhammad's companions while he was alive, although the prime method of transmission was oral. It was compiled in the time of Abu Bakr, the first caliph, and was standardized in the time of Uthman, the third caliph. The Qur’an in its actual form is generally considered by academic scholars to record the words spoken by Muhammad because the search for variants in Western academia has not yielded any differences of great significance and that historically controversy over the content of the Qur’an has never become a main point. [21][22] Therefore all Muslims, Sunni or Shia use the same Qur’an.

I most certainly do not. Do we also say Shinto Noble Prize winner? I can't recall a Tao Nobel Prizer winner. How about at the Olympics are they Jewish Gold medalist or Israeli? Muslim Shia Gold medalist or Iranian?

We talk about Chinese, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, European, Indian astronomy to specific the place we are talking about. ONLY Muslims would suggest "Islamic" math. I think you'll find the reason is closely linked to "Islamic" Universalism - no need of novel insightful doctrines when we have entire "Islam" Golden Ages now is there?

Post 1141 is an excellent summation.

If you are describing individuals then of course not. However, if the majority of Noble Prize winners were Jewish we would not say "The Jewish Noble Prize"...seeeeeee:shrug:

Because that is the crux of the issue.

Would we say the S.A.M is reaping the benefits of western technology. Computer, t.v, radio, internet etc.

cars, mass transportation and such.

Islamic science does not refer to ALL science, only that which was conducted immediately after the advent of Islam by new Muslims.

I most certainly do not. Do we also say Shinto Noble Prize winner? I can't recall a Tao Nobel Prizer winner. How about at the Olympics are they Jewish Gold medalist or Israeli? Muslim Shia Gold medalist or Iranian?

We talk about Chinese, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, European, Indian astronomy to specific the place we are talking about. ONLY Muslims would suggest "Islamic" math. I think you'll find the reason is closely linked to "Islamic" Universalism - no need of novel insightful doctrines when we have entire "Islam" Golden Ages now is there?

Only you suffer from this confusion, it has been called Islamic science by westerners since the beginning.

In the history of science, Islamic science refers to the science developed under the Islamic civilization between the 8th and 16th centuries, during what is known as the Islamic Golden Age.[

S.A.M.,

You do not know who wrote down which part or when the Quran was finished do you? For all you know it could have been commissioned by a later Caliph who, for you we know, could have proof read the document for personal acceptability. I mean, with no documentation who would know? Oh, I know, someone with another copy, well, that is, unless that copy were burned along with any other copies.

Anyway, SAM, is the oldest Qur'an the same as a modern Qur'an or is is different in places? As an scholar I'm sure you'd know.

Thanks
Michael

S.A.M.,

You do not know who wrote down which part or when the Quran was finished do you? For all you know it could have been commissioned by a later Caliph who, for you we know, could have proof read the document for personal acceptability. I mean, with no documentation who would know? Oh, I know, someone with another copy, well, that is, unless that copy were burned along with any other copies.

Anyway, SAM, is the oldest Qur'an the same as a modern Qur'an or is is different in places? As an scholar I'm sure you'd know.

Thanks
Michael

Why don't you ask a scholar and let me know? Do your own research, anyway you dont like or trust Muslims so anything I say will be more fodder for you. Find out yourself what the variants are and what they mean.

Islamic science does not refer to ALL science, only that which was conducted immediately after the advent of Islam by new Muslims.

Oh ok. It sounds like you are making this up as you go along.

Do you say Christian, Jewish or Atheist science?

We've already been over this. And by this I mean ALL of it.

In regards to the OP, well, Arsalan didn't mind mocking Bush. I know at least one person that thinks/thought he was appointed by God and the fact that the US economy is being flushed down the drain is proof enough of God's love - as He must test His Prophet... isn't one person enough to ban mockery of Junior? (I'm sure there are loads of evangelicals that think similarly anyway).

That aside, if the central message in the Qur'an is that it is a Universal open belief system then I had a couple questions:

What about New Beliefs?

Arsalan said Bahai' faith should be respected but then turned around and said their founder was false. I would like this elaborated on because it seems juxtaposed to the position of Universalism.

I was unclear as to the Muslim stance on CoS and belief in Xenu.

If "Islamic" Universalism accepts all beliefs as legitimate (well maybe) then why delineate people of the book from people not of the book? This also seems counter to "Universalism".

I wonder if there is an Islamic Church of Scientology, you know like the Islamic math and stuff.... :p

Ofcourse, the Greeks did a lot. But the Muslims started a lot as well, without help from the Greeks.

The Greeks, Babylonians and others had already considered early examples of geometric series, quadratic equations, cartesian coordinates, infinitesimal calculus, and even algebra. They didn't go far with these concepts, but they did get an impressively good start on it. Much of that knowledge was lost when the Library of Alexandria got torched but some of it survived and the rest was referred to by other historians of the time.

Just go to the page about Ibn-Haytham then :rolleyes:

The article I was linked to by S.A.M. is in serious dispute. Read the talkbacks, the other editors are furious because the author of the article was directly misquoting texts in order to give the false impression that muslims had invented sliced bread and just about everything else we find useful. For instance, the author claimed Bertrand Russell had credited Islam as the foundation of modern science. Yet someone who actually had Russell's text showed that Russell said the opposite, that their contributions were trivial.

I believe the muslims did many great things to advance pre-Galilean science, but much of it was built on the works of earlier cultures and none of it comes directly out of the Quran. The only thing one could credit to the Quran might be that, in some peoples' personal interpretations, it encourages them to be skeptical and inquisitive, which are certainly prerequisites for being a scientist.

Just as much as we would attribute e=mc2 to anyone except Einstein. Did anyone even bother to read my previous post?

I'm sure you give full and due credit to Einstein. What I'm saying is that I've heard many muslims claiming that $$E=mc^2$$ can be derived from the Quran. Same with the Big Bang theory, evolution, heck I'll bet some scholar's even finding String Theory in there right now. I wonder what value they'll compute for the fine structure constant?

Mountain of evidence for what?

I was asking where the mountain of evidence was for the idea that mountains can be moved. Doesn't such an event happen in the Quran, there's a mountain in some location and whammo, next day the same mountain is in a completely different place? If the Quran itself contained an outline of the scientific method, then muslims would have made efforts to scientifically verify that mountains can be moved, or they would seek geological evidence that it had happened in the past.

That Muslims started and continued science when the rest of the world was hunting witches? That people from all over the world came to learn from Muslims? Have you ever read what academics have to say on this subject? There is a mountain of evidence, but I fear simpletons wont get to see it because it is academic material. Shame really

Actually I admire the works of the muslim scientists, and have even committed to learning some of their unique mathematical proofs. We really do owe them a debt of gratitude from bringing their advances over to Europe and kicking off the Renaissance. That I have no problem with whatsoever, in fact I always wonder why the muslims fell out with their own brilliant revolution and failed to keep up with its developments (remember, the Renaissance came long after the crusades).

What I do have a problem with are the people who claim any actual scientific knowledge as originating from the Quran. Yes it's probably true that the Quran might, in various interpretations, tell its readers to be skeptical and inquisitive. But there are those who seek to credit the Quran itself with direct insights into astronomy, biology, geology, optics and other things that were already discovered or whose groundwork had already been laid out long before. Then there are also those quacks who have attempted to re-translate the Quran to make all kinds of ridiculous claims about the Big Bang, quantum physics, etc. etc.

Heck, even if the Quran, in its correct translation, were to say "the universe is expanding", that can mean a million different things. Now if the Quran were to contain a chapter on tensor calculus and differential geometry and were then to describe the spacetime metric of our universe and the Big Bang as a corollary, with proper ages, stellar masses, velocities and other details, now then I would take the argument seriously.

We are only quoting what the scientists who developed new ways and started stuff that wasnt there before said. I know it may be annoying to you, but thats the reality of it

I'm only annoyed with those who attribute such advances directly to factual claims made in the Quran, because it's an obvious attempt at conversion through false propaganda. It would be like Einstein citing Shakespeare as the source for the idea that masses follow the geodesic equation in curved spacetimes.

We really do owe them a debt of gratitude from bringing their advances over to Europe and kicking off the Renaissance.
What's even more amazing is that they never "kicked off the Renaissance" in the heart of the enlightened "Islamic" empire.

Odd that one.

Then again, the Republic of Venice may have something to do with it as well..........

The Renaissance is the European equivalent of the Islamic Age. Except that Islam brought the renaissance to the Middle East and Europe had to shake out of religion to get there. But still, they never did learn the lesson well, as the colonial age, two world wars and the holocaust amply demonstrate

Back