Our attitude concerning mockery of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon

hah muslims can't even get to an agreement among themselves about the very fundaments of the religion

They don't have to. Thats also a part of the religion. Everyone is free to disagree, since no one knows all the answers. People have written tomes on what Tawheed means to them.

hah muslims can't even get to an agreement among themselves about the very fundaments of the religion

That's what happens when you debate somebody who became a Muslim in the very late portions of her life. It's sad, I know. Your laughter is completely warranted.

Sam, you are a convert to Islam? What religion did you convert form?

She has said before that she didn't care for religion until ~2001. She also doesn't pray five times a day, probably because she's too busy posting one of her ~47 posts here per day.

Duh, don't listen to Kadark. ;)

He means I got religious only after I got interested in the religion. I wasn't religious before.

It's impossible for your 30+ years of non-religious lifestyle to have become accidentally incorporated within your religious lifestyle, right? Haha, you're full of shit.

It's impossible for your 30+ years of non-religious lifestyle to have become accidentally incorporated within your religious lifestyle, right? Haha, you're full of shit.

Yeah, I should take lessons from a born Muslim. Clearly your advantages are many. ;)

Why, you've single handedly upheld the ideals of Islam on this forum. Whatever would we do without you to represent us? :D

Yeah, I should take lessons from a born Muslim. Clearly your advantages are many. ;)

Tell us again why you don't pray five times a day. I'm no scholar, but I'm pretty sure "I was too busy posting 47 posts per day on Sciforums!" is not a reasonable excuse.

Duh, don't listen to Kadark. ;)

He means I got religious only after I got interested in the religion. I wasn't religious before.

I'm glad for you. Islam is a very beautiful religion and Allah taala only chooses the best people of this world to be Muslims (in the real sense, Mu'minoon).

There is no shame in admitting as all of us may be still attempting to find our way to Allah taala. If we were at a lower level yesterday then we are today, we are doing something right.

I hope your work is going well. Sorry if my friend kadark is giving you a rough time, he is a good person in heart. :)

diamond said:
I would have to agree with kadark on this one. Monotheism is the central tenant of Islam.
Is there a devil, or Satan, involved ?
diamond said:
Sorry if my friend kadark is giving you a rough time, he is a good person in heart
You sure ?

yes, we believe in Jinn or Jinnput. They are creations made from smokeless fire. Satan (Shaytan) or Diablos (Iblis) was a Jinn who had been elevated into the ranks of the angels for his good works and piety, but when Adam was created, jealousy resulted in his disobedience and hostility toward God Almighty. Thus, God allowed him respite to test man. He is the tempter, Chapter An-Nas, The People, last chapter of Quran deals with this. Please read it for more information.

There are shayateen, which many have associated with the Christian concept of the devil, but I think they represent the whisperers. The whisperer is a the deceiver or one who spreads dissent and misrepresents the truth. Especially because according to the Quran, Iblis, (who according to tradition, is the Islamic version of the devil) has no power but the power of suggestion into the hearts of people.

you're the one responsible and accountable for what you say or do.
Something like:
You made you're bed, now sleep in it.
The only one you have to blame is yourself.
Etc....

I'd be surprised if you could even find a culture that doesn't take such an opinion.

The idea of not being responsible for other people's beliefs/actions is something that does not come naturally to most people.
Oh, I don’t know. It seems I know many people that take the attitude
“each to their own”
“don’t bother me I won’t bother you”
"you go you're way I'll go mine"
Etc….

Actually, regarding religion, it’s mainly only Xians and Scientologists I see on the corner trying to save the damned. Very very occasionally I might run into a Baha’i or Muslim doing a little prostelyzing.

It all starts with recognizing the oneness of Allah.
Is the Qur'an notion of Oneness fundamentally different than previously held notions (Hindu, Greek, Xian, Buddhist, etc...)

Something like:

The Oneness of the cosmos is articulated through the oneness of the logos. This oneness of the logoes is not a simple unity, but is involved intimately in the flux of existence.

OR
The consequent Oneness of Being was recognized throughout antiquity as a fundamental tenet of the Eleatic school. The Eleatics maintained that the true explanation of things lies in the conception of a universal unity of Being. According to their doctrine, the senses cannot cognize this unity, because their reports are inconsistent; it is by thought alone that we can pass beyond the false appearances of sense and arrive at the knowledge of being, at the fundamental truth that the All is One.

Monotheism is the central tenant of Islam.
Was Mohammad’s idea monotheism different than previous monotheistic theology?

Michael said:
Was Mohammad’s idea monotheism different than previous monotheistic theology?

Would have been very strange if it had. Islam is not a new religion.

Really SAM!?!??

You don't find the Xian notion of God the Father, God the Son, God the Spirit an interesting take on the concept of monotheism? How many times have we heard of water as liquid, water as ice, water as gas yadda yadda yadda.

Surely Hinduism has something interesting to say?

I'm surprised your religion doesn't have a central message, other than 'own it' and 'monotheism'.

I think most Xians would say the central message in their religion is that Jesus died on the X for your sins, accept Jesus into your heart, ask for forgiveness and you will see heaven.

It's a very very powerful message. It's even part of the 12 steps plan for alcoholics. Forgiving someone and being forgiven by someone is a huge part in our lives. Don't you think?

What is the equivalent in Islam?

I think most Xians would say the central message in their religion is that Jesus died on the X for your sins, accept Jesus into your heart, ask for forgiveness and you will see heaven.

It's a very very powerful message. It's even part of the 12 steps plan for alcoholics. Forgiving someone and being forgiven by someone is a huge part in our lives. Don't you think?

What is the equivalent in Islam?

Personally, I disagree with the message. Why should someone else be accountable for my mistakes? To me, thats like saying, well, we hanged this chap here, so you better behave, cos he was hanged for all the stuff you ain't done yet but surely will.

How does that make sense?

Islam is less complicated for me. Everything is one, all religions have their basis in truth and its your responsibility to look out for your speech and actions. You're not accountable for what other people do and while some human failings necessitate latitude that incorporates human desires and reactions, its better to put it behind you and move on. Now thats logical to me.

Is the Qur'an notion of Oneness fundamentally different than previously held notions (Hindu, Greek, Xian, Buddhist, etc...)

Something like:

The Oneness of the cosmos is articulated through the oneness of the logos. This oneness of the logoes is not a simple unity, but is involved intimately in the flux of existence.

OR
The consequent Oneness of Being was recognized throughout antiquity as a fundamental tenet of the Eleatic school. The Eleatics maintained that the true explanation of things lies in the conception of a universal unity of Being. According to their doctrine, the senses cannot cognize this unity, because their reports are inconsistent; it is by thought alone that we can pass beyond the false appearances of sense and arrive at the knowledge of being, at the fundamental truth that the All is One.

Sounds like a very foreign conception of "Oneness" to me; certainly not anything I've come to find within Islam.

Isn't this the part where you storm in saying, "Isn't that a given?" or "I'd be surprised if you could even find a culture that doesn't take such an opinion"? For some reason, when it comes to the central message in Christianity, you call it "a very very powerful message". Do I sense a double-standard here?

Isn't this the part where you storm in saying, "Isn't that a given?" or "I'd be surprised if you could even find a culture that doesn't take such an opinion"? For some reason, when it comes to the central message in Christianity, you call it "a very very powerful message". Do I sense a double-standard here?

I feel the same way, Kadark. There is definately a strong anti-Islam bias here. Some people are hopeless.

I feel the same way, Kadark. There is definately a strong anti-Islam bias here. Some people are hopeless.

I just find it odd how Michael responded to Sam's interpretation of Islam's central message as something that is generally common sense (responsibility for one's actions). However, when the Christian equivalent was discussed, he referred to it (forgiveness) as a "very very powerful message". Clearly, the concept of forgiveness is universal, and has been practiced aeons before Christ saw Earth. Strangely, he didn't feel the need to call it "a given" or a "common part of every culture".

Then again, we are talking about Michael, so it's always helpful to lower our standards. You can't expect much from him.

Why should someone else be accountable for my mistakes? To me, thats like saying, well, we hanged this chap here, so you better behave, cos he was hanged for all the stuff you ain't done yet but surely will.
The Christian doctrine of atonement describes how God becomes man...for the purpose of suffering on the cross in atonement for all men....thus closing the gap between the perfection of God and the imperfection of man.

God cannot suffer, and so has to become man to atone for man.

This idea was vaguely conceived by Paul, not Jesus, and was hammered out into legalistic doctrine by the Catholic church centuries later.

Back