Objective Morality and Atheism

Good and bad are moral statements. Atheists do not believe in morality. Its a subjective notion imposed by religious notions of right and wrong.
I'm an atheist, and I believe in morality. I believe in a pragmatic morality constructed from rational analysis of social norms, and an ideal morality that is logically constructed from necessary axioms.

Does God teach you morals, or do your parents ?
You are mistaking atheism for some sort of life-guide; it isn't. Atheism is just not believing in any gods, period.

No SAM, religion just incorporated morals, it didn't invent them. People did, for practical reasons.
Morality is mostly just common sense. I find it disturbing that you think people cannot come up with them without belief in a skydaddy.

Check the social norms of any society. Check the notions of right and wrong. Check the legal systems and their basis. When they say a country is based on Judeo-Christian values, there is a reason why its so defined.

I'm an atheist, and I believe in morality. I believe in a pragmatic morality constructed from rational analysis of social norms, and an ideal morality that is logically constructed from necessary axioms.

None of which has anything to do with atheism. Your adoption of social norms and other beliefs from theistic societies with religious values of right and wrong is not something your atheism is involved in.

Yes, but you made your point in the first bit. That was my point as well.

There is no "objective" morality. Saying something is good or bad is based on notions of right and wrong. These are not present in atheism. They are from religion and societies based on these religions.

Moral rules also do not follow from the existence of God, only from the religious traditions of man, which aren't any better than atheistic or secular moral traditions such as secular humanism or Democracy. Can anyone explain how morality requires a supernatural dictator, instead of human judgment to determine?

Moral rules also do not follow from the existence of God, only from the religious traditions of man, which aren't any better than atheistic or secular moral traditions such as secular humanism or Democracy.

Atheist "traditions" have nothing to do with democracy. Check out any self defined atheist society.

This is exactly the point, and it renders morality, although not entirely useless, still a meaningless human construct as anything can be said to be moral.

Morality is not objective, but neither is it arbitrary. It follows from compassion and analysis about what is best for society and individual happiness.

Morality is not objective, but neither is it arbitrary. It follows from compassion and analysis about what is best for society and individual happiness.

Morality has very little to do with individual or social happiness. Much of it involves suppressing the natural instincts or disciplining them for collective benefits of a defined majority of the population. Or at least, the powerful elite, though the latter systems tend to be more short lasting.

People that take their moral rules from religion have no place trying to define it. For the religious, morality is dictated from a higher authority, which they may not question.

You'll find that most religious people are more flexible in their attitudes and hence have more inclusive societies. Atheists in known history have built exclusive intolerant societies.

Sam,

Atheists do not believe in morality.
This is nonsense, but certainly an idea actively and violently promoted by Islamic bigotry and intolerance. Atheism does not promote a moral code; it is simply a disbelief in gods. Atheists as thinking people on the other hand whilst disbelieving in gods may well follow a moral code or may not. Some may well follow moral standards higher than any theist. What you cannot do is classify ALL atheists the same way. Your statement is false and dishonest.

Its a subjective notion imposed by religious notions of right and wrong.
That is an incredibly limited and narrow view. Morality is a code of conduct determined, by society, philosophy, religion, or individual conscience. Religions do NOT have a monopoly on what is moral or not. It is their arrogant closed mindedness that makes them thin this way.

So this statement:

"Being a good person doesn't require God"

is manifestly false.
Only if viewed from someone who is narrow minded, bigoted, and cannot see anything beyond their own religious indoctrination.

What is good or evil in the absence of God? Nothing. Its all human behaviour.
The only thing we have that has true value is life. Morality when viewed in its purest form simply says anything that promotes life is good and anything that detracts from life is bad. Whether gods exist or not is irrelevant to this truth.

Objectively speaking, nothing is good or bad, its belief that makes it good or bad.
Nonsense, death is bad, life is good. These are objective facts.

That flexibility is a requirement of living, which happens in spite of religion's inflexibility. Yet we complain when people decide to embody the rigid requirements of religion and call them fundamentalists. To live morally means being flexible, which means using your own judgment, not following rules from a book.

I assume you are talking about communism again, which is based on certain political principles, not atheism.

based on certain political principles, not atheism.

Yeah, right, because when the political principles are anything from a dictatorship to a democracy, being a Muslim leader is irrelevant to their practice of the politics.

Regardless, history is proof that the flexibility which is a requirement of living, is not possible with atheists at the helm. They lack the basic requirements that convey that flexibility.

None of which has anything to do with atheism. Your adoption of social norms and other beliefs from theistic societies with religious values of right and wrong is not something your atheism is involved in.

Of course they don't have anything to do with atheism. Neither do they have anything to do with theism.

Of course they don't have anything to do with atheism. Neither do they have anything to do with theism.

So an atheist in a Judeo-Christian society has similar moral values to an atheist from a Muslim society, a communist society or a Hindu society?

You have proven no such thing. Atheists do not presume to follow a strict moral code.

Oh? Which one do they presume to follow? Whats the common factor I should look for between an atheist from a Jewish society and a communist one?

sam,

Check the social norms of any society. Check the notions of right and wrong. Check the legal systems and their basis. When they say a country is based on Judeo-Christian values, there is a reason why its so defined.
And where such values were determined in ancient times to be relevant to the societies of those times based on reason. Adding "and God commands these things" doesn't detract from the underlying human created moral codes that for most peope are commons sense.

The existence or non-existence of a God is irrelevant to current moral values.

So an atheist in a Judeo-Christian society has similar moral values to an atheist from a Muslim society, a communist society or a Hindu society?
Not necessarily. What's your point? Do you think that I speak for all atheists?

The existence or non-existence of a God is irrelevant to current moral values.

Because now atheists no longer believe that moral beliefs supercede biological urges in civilised society?

Because now atheists no longer believe that moral beliefs supercede biological urges in civilised society?
Counterexample:
Speaking for myself, I do believe that moral reasoning supercedes biological urges.

Oh? Which one do they presume to follow? Whats the common factor I should look for between an atheist from a Jewish society and a communist one?
There is no common factor, they do not conform to any basic assumptions beside the non-existence of a God or other supernatural forces.

Back