No Healthcare for Smokers,Drinkers,Fat,Old..

yeah right ok!!

your so wrong there, the NHS is shit, and full of no good doctors! (not all of the doctors are bad) but the ones who are bad are very bad!! why are people still suffering after 3 years of having an operation that went so wrong they can't even lift they're child,

The NHS is great, I've had excellent treatment from them when I've needed it. Maybe your expectations of what you will get from them are too high, but if you are truly ill, and not some malingerer, you should realise that without them your quality of life would be far worse. No they are not perfect, yes they could be funded more, and I have to question you, have you ever voted for a political party that has said they will increase NHS funding, by increasing taxation? If not, why not?

btw, seems the money spent on your education was wasted, it's their not they're, so stop carping on about the NHS, eh, the doctors studied for seven years to get where they are, if you want the NHS to be better, make it better, become a doctor, nurse, or take some other role., or at least vote for the right party.

Gratitude

You know, the National Health once saved the life of a friend of mine. And apparently the police in Liverpool were very helpful in that instance, too:

Scene: An American student is cracking under the pressure of his financial collapse abroad, and amid an Ecstasy trip that defies his memory. Wandering through the city, he comes to a specific decision.

Student: (to police officer) Excuse me, sir. Um ... where is ... where is there a mental health facility?

Officer: Are you in danger of harming yourself or other people?

Student: Other people are safe.

Officer: I see. Two blocks up, then left. You'll see it on the right after about half a block. Do you require assistance in transit?

Student: I think I can make it.​

He went to the facility, stood in a stairwell, arguing with himself for about three hours. Then he walked into the front office and asked for help. And they did what they could. And after a period of days he was capable of making his way home to the States, where he set about putting his life back together.

A scene like that could never occur in the United States. Neither our police force nor mental health services are prepared for such a proposition. My friend would likely have been arrested and spent those days in a jail cell continuing his implosion.

He is grateful for Her Majesty's assistance, and considers that experience an argument in favor of an American universal health care plan.

The British government is having trouble with its NHS doctors. They're warning patients that they will suffer if the government goes ahead with its plans to force doctors to extend their hours. The British Medical Association (BMA) says there will be a mass exodus of general practitioners if the government changes their contracts and forces them to offer extended surgery hours. If the extended hours go into effect it means that doctors will have to cut down on services offered within normal working hours, which will have a direct affect on patients. Oh, great. Surgery from a doctor who is p!ssed off because the government is forcing him to work overtime.:eek:

The British health secretary has threatened to cut the income of the doctors who refuse to work the extended hours. Oh the beauty of government healthcare. Internal memos within the BMAare urging doctors to quit the NHS. And you think the government really has your best interest at heart?:eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jan/29/gp.reforms?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

The British government is having trouble with its NHS doctors.

Blah blah blah, naysaying and doom-mongering, 'Sandy', but none of it has actually happened yet.

But let's look at some numbers of things that are actually happening;

There are nearly 50 million Americans without health insurance.

18,000 Americans will die this year simply because they're uninsured.

The United States is ranked #37 as a health system by the World Health Organization. (UK#18! GO UK!!!!!), that's one place above Slovenia, but the US has twice the per capita GDP!

Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate and a longer average lifespan than the United States.

Blah blah blah, naysaying and doom-mongering, 'Sandy', but none of it has actually happened yet.

But let's look at some numbers of things that are actually happening;
There are nearly 50 million Americans without health insurance.

18,000 Americans will die this year simply because they're uninsured...

At least 50% of those uninsured are criminal aliens. At least 40% of the rest are Hispanic/new immigrants. At least half of the rest CHOOSE to be uninsured. They don't want to pay for it/are self-insured. Most are only uninsured for a period of less than a year. :rolleyes:

It is NOT the government's job to insure people--especially criminal/new immigrants. :(

Insurance doesn't keep people alive. It pays for their treatment. Sometimes.

http://boortz.com/nuze/200701/01032007.html#insurance

At least 50% of those uninsured are criminal aliens. At least 40% of the rest are Hispanic/new immigrants. At least half of the rest CHOOSE to be uninsured. They don't want to pay for it/are self-insured. Most are only uninsured for a period of less than a year. :rolleyes:

It is NOT the government's job to insure people--especially criminal/new immigrants. :(

Insurance doesn't keep people alive. It pays for their treatment. Sometimes.

http://boortz.com/nuze/200701/01032007.html#insurance

some of the stuff he is saying has been debunked long ago

its funny how in the US people who have got it are aginst universal health care and the politions are too gutless to do something for the people like introducing it. Its a sad inditment of the US system

BTW phlogistician your from the UK arnt you?
In Australia one of our early PM's (sorry frogoten which one) tried to introduce the same system as the NHS. The BMA (the AMA was apart of the BMA at that time) took the federal goverment to court claiming that was conscription and that consription is against the consitution. They one so we are stuck with the most complicated system imaginable (thats why there are the 3 systems, the State run hospital and related services, the Private Hospital system and the federally insured medcare system with private GPs)

We don't want it because we know it sucks. We know anytime the government gets involved in our business, it's an absolute freakin disaster. :(

We don't want it because we know it sucks. We know anytime the government gets involved in our business, it's an absolute freakin disaster. :(

It sucks? So how come France has it, Germany has it, and the UK has it, and they all rank higher than the USA for healthcare?

Oh, and we pay less, and get better service.

You just don't get it, for someone that supposedly understands business, that's madness, we pay less and get more, that is the reality, 'Sandy'.

It sucks? So how come France has it, Germany has it, and the UK has it, and they all rank higher than the USA for healthcare?

Oh, and we pay less, and get better service.

You just don't get it, for someone that supposedly understands business, that's madness, we pay less and get more, that is the reality, 'Sandy'.

lets not forget a lot of those countries have had universal health care for LONGER than we have had our system germany has had universal health care now for almost 130 years

Yeah, and I see so many people running to Europe for their healthcare. Not. :rolleyes:

Who the hell cares what Europe does with their healthcare? Not me. I'm not a liberal living in a liberal country. (Half liberal is bad enough.)

We have the best doctors in the world. We want to keep it that way.

Mad its great that you have books you can look up to check symptoms ect. On the road we have to deal with stuff there and then.
You misunderstood my point. I was saying I had never seen this condition in real life before. I had only ever seen it in books back in school. I knew what it was from my previous education, not by looking it up. I was responding to the guy who said doctors just learn stuff on the job and don't really need any (or at least not that much) education. "On the job" training can not cover the rare but important conditions we occasionally come across.

You misunderstood my point. I was saying I had never seen this condition in real life before. I had only ever seen it in books back in school. I knew what it was from my previous education, not by looking it up. I was responding to the guy who said doctors just learn stuff on the job and don't really need any (or at least not that much) education. "On the job" training can not cover the rare but important conditions we occasionally come across.

Yes, I don't think anyone can seriously argue that classroom medical study is not an integral part of a good medical education. It provides a platfom for your clinical work. And continuing medical education is a never ending story for a good medical professional

Last edited:
What are you basing that on? Sure, they learn on the job, but that learning builds upon the massive base of knowledge acquired in school. About six months ago I saved a guy's life based on something I had never seen except in textbooks back in school. Being a doctor takes more than just "on the job training".
You probably went to a better Med School than USYD.

The comment was a bit sarcastic. You see, here at USYD the guiding principal is - She'll be Right Mate. No worries. That'll be $150,000 please and thank you.

Note: There was a full time lecturer giving a lecture last year, man I wish that had been taped, who continued to write Venous circulation - Venus circulation. Oh, these poor bastards... but hey. MD at the end of yir name sure helps git a job.

:p

Michael

Mad its great that you have books you can look up to check symptoms ect. On the road we have to deal with stuff there and then. If you dont already know it or you cant decribe it to the doctor on the other end of the consult the pt dies. Senior paramedics are well and truly able to dignose and refer A&E cases to the right area. Nurse practioners are able to do likewise. Shirnks can deal with a mental health situation 100 times better than most GP's i have met and im yet to meet a GP that can dignose a muscular condition as well as physio (esspecially after they get there ability to order tests on there own rather than sending the pt back to the GP with a nice letter to get a CT or a MRI)
I'd agree with this - if the person is experienced, worked with someone good who taught them a thing or two and are themselves pretty clever - they will probably do a good job regardless of whether their formal education specifically to get a medical degree.

Roads? Fire departments? The Hoover Dam? NASA? How about you start your own space program?

Back