Muslim Morality

Here: I googled Mohammad + Murder and clicked feeling lucky

The odd thing this is from Arab News and starts out "Despite what the enemies of Islam say, particularly nowadays, and what impression some fringe groups of Muslim hard-liners advocate, Islam is a religion of peace, which prefers to live with all communities in an atmosphere of mutual respect and true understanding."
and yet ends with this:
"Abdullah ibn Khatal used to be a Muslim. The Prophet once sent him to collect zakah from people who lived far away. He traveled with another man and a servant of his who was a Muslim. At one stage on the way they stopped. He gave the servant orders to slaughter a big goat and prepare food for him while he himself went to sleep. When he woke up, he discovered that the servant had not done anything. He killed his servant and, fearing the Prophet’s punishment, reverted to idolatry. He also had two slave girls who used to sing for him and for his companions songs full of abuse of the Prophet. The Prophet’s instructions specified that the two slave girls should also be killed. The man was killed as he was actually holding on to the coverings of the Kaaba. Abu Barzah Al-Aslami and Saeed ibn Hurayth Al-Makhzumi killed him along with one of his slave girls. The other managed to flee until someone sought a special pardon for her from the Prophet, which he granted."

IMHO it seems many Muslims naturally except Mohammad asked that some people be killed. It's only you modern sensibility that seems to find the act of Murder distasteful. Back then it was as natural as taking a fourth wife ;)

Actually it was not. Look it up, and just because something is on "Arab News" does not make it credible anymore than something being on any other news channel. I hope you use better reasoning at work.:rolleyes:

This is nothing but a Muslim bashing thread, where are the Moderators?.

Muslim bashing is currently in fashion, to the point that it is no longer recognised as such. It has become so much the norm to consider Muslims as barbarians and terrorists that anything which supports that notion is automatically accepted as fact and no one even cares to find out how much truth is attached to it. OTOH, for the opposite, there are plenty of assumptions and justifications.

Get used to it. I have.:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
as have I, the truth hurts doesn't it.

Are you calling me a barbarian or a terrorist?:rolleyes:

Again, one does not have to look all that hard to find something written by an eminent Islamic scholar: Muhammad ibn Ishaq ibn Yasaris the earliest and most important source of historical information about the life of Muhammad

If anything it says that "Muslims" at the most earliest times didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with Mohammad having people murdered that offended him.

Translation by
Alfred Guillaume

Another was Abdullah Khatal of B. Taym b. Ghalib. He had become a Muslim and the apostle sent him to collect the poor tax in company with one of the Ansar. He had with him a freed slave who served him. (He was a Muslim.) When they halted he ordered the latter to kill a goat for him and prepare some food, and went to sleep. When he woke up the man had done nothing, so he attacked and killed him and apostatized. He had two singing-girls Fartana and her friend who used to sing satirical songs about the apostle, so he ordered that they should be killed with him.

You were quick to accept a second hand story of an alleged event written by an Indian Muslim about the splitting moon. Surely the earliest Islamic Historian has something worthwhile to say on the matter????

Michael

You might be then interested to know that Ishaq's work has not survived and what we know of his work is based on what was culled from it by Hisham and later translated by Guillame. Also Ishaq himself was born in 704, more than 50 years after Muhammed and himself claimed he had no way of verifying his work (as noted by Hisham)
Ibn Ishaq wrote several works, none of which survive. His collection of traditions about the life of Muhammad survives mainly in two sources:

* an edited copy, or recension, of his work by his student al-Bakka'i, as further edited by Abd al-Malik ibn Hisham. Al-Bakka'i's work has perished and only Ibn Hisham's has survived, in copies. (Donner 1998, p. 132)

* an edited copy, or recension, prepared by his student Salama ibn-Fadl al-Ansari. This also has perished, and survives only in the copious extracts to be found in the volumimous historian al-Tabari. (Donner 1998, p. 132)

* fragments of several other recensions. Guillaume lists them on p. xxx of his preface, but regards most of them as so fragmentary as to be of little worth.

I believe in the Indian kings account because his grave is in Oman and his story recorded in Malabar, India; also he renounced his kingdom and travelled to Arabia, something not many Indian kings did at the time.

no I calling the religion of my father and my brothers barbaric.
it's a religion of hate, of oppression and subjugation.
but if you feel the cap fits, then by all means wear it.

Sounds like the hate and oppression transcends religion.:p

The kind that doesn't believe that religious cults and superstitions should get a free pass simply because there are those in society who think it is "disrespectful" to question or publicly criticize them.

Since you're fond of propaganda websites, please allow me to post a few that counter the superstitions of Mohammedanism (aka Islam).

An Atheist's Guide to Mohammedanism

Ibn Warraq: Why I Am Not A Muslim

The Logic of Allah's Existence

The Skeptic's Annotated Koran

An Introduction to Hadith

Islamic Science: Does Islamic literature contain scientific miracles?

Qur'an: A Work of Multiple Hands?

Since you also posted these links in another thread, I'm just going to link my response there over here
http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1435168&postcount=155

This is nothing but a Muslim bashing thread, where are the Moderators?

You people do not realize:

"You people"?

1. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be to him) was a statesman as well as a Prophet, so he was obliged and fully justified in declaring war and dividing up spoils of war

Was he obliged to kill slave girls and murder poetesses also? This seems a bit harsh for god's "Messenger" and all. Why did Mohammed even need an army, if he was god's messenger? Couldn't allah have just protected him? Didn't he want his message spread around?

2. The treaty of Hudaybiya was broken by the Quraish when they raided a pagan bedouin tribe allied to the Muslim state. The chief of Quraish, Abu Sufyan, himself recognized his mistake.

Source? Also, does this then explain the islamic crusade that's been going on for the past 1400 years? The brutal treatment of minorities? Ah, wait: it does, actually: Q 2: 29 "...made to feel oppressed...". Yet, "oppression is worse than slaughter". So why is Mohammed advocating oppressing people, then? Why does the Sura not say "go into the land of the Quraysh" only? Why did he kill all the menfolk of the Quraysh tribe?

4. Obviously, the information you have obtained is heavily biased and has serious flaws. Please reveal the sources (websites) where you obtained this information.

What, you mean the Quran and the Arab website Michael listed? Surely you don't think they're seriously flawed...do you? How about the hadiths? How about the treatment of apostates, DH? You remember that argument, I know.

You might be then interested to know that Ishaq's work has not survived and what we know of his work is based on what was culled from it by Hisham and later translated by Guillame. Also Ishaq himself was born in 704, more than 50 years after Muhammed and himself claimed he had no way of verifying his work (as noted by Hisham)
Other than the fact that the oldest surviving Qur;'an are different than modern day Qur'an, no one even knows who wrote which bit, when it was finished, the name of each person who contributed to what and when, what day it was completed, who said so, who cananized it and on what criteria, etc etc etc...

The same goes for your beleif in the Indian King, you may believe it is true but you can not know it is true. Actually, logic suggests it is not true as no other people recorded the event and it's biased towards a superstitous beleif.

Which is why I was referring to Islamic tradition.

Two questions:

1) Would you say that Islamic tradition throughout the centuries have taken, on the whole, a beleif that at times Mohammad killed people or commanded the people be killed? Or are you saying he carried a sword he never used? He lead from the rear so to speak?

2) Do you Sam believe that Mohammad had killed someone or commanded that someone be killed?

Michael

I wonder why so many Muslims I talk to say yes he killed people. Just flat out say Oh course he killed people he was a courageous hero bla bla bla....

Lastly, I am referring to Islamic tradition. Is there a tradition in Islam that Mohammad killed people or had other people kill people? If so who and under what circumstances?

As for:
Also Ishaq himself was born in 704, more than 50 years after Muhammed and himself claimed he had no way of verifying his work (as noted by Hisham)

Then why read the Qur'an at all?

"The oldest manuscripts of the Quran still in existence date from not earlier than about one hundred years after Muhammad's death." ("Jam' Al-Qur'an", page 153)

Oh BUT Michael Michael Michael - THAT'S completely different!

;)
Michael

(I'm tempted to ask if you believe the story about Mohammad riding magical winged fairy creature ... surely no?!?!?!? :eek: )

Lastly, DH, I asked a question and I provided links - asking a question is not bagging Islam - that is trying to get an answer. Maybe the answer is one you don't like but that's tough - it's still worthwhile to ask the question. So why do you be a dear and answer it?

Other than the fact that the oldest surviving Qur;'an are different than modern day Qur'an, no one even knows who wrote which bit, when it was finished, the name of each person who contributed to what and when, what day it was completed, who said so, who cananized it and on what criteria, etc etc etc...

Since Omar started the tradition of Tahfiz immediately after Muhammed's death, which has continued until today, there is almost nil chances of the oldest surviving Quran being any different from the modern Quran (the only differences are in didactic marks and Tahfiz takes care of that.

The same goes for your beleif in the Indian King, you may believe it is true but you can not know it is true. Actually, logic suggests it is not true as no other people recorded the event and it's biased towards a superstitous beleif.

Quite possibly.
Which is why I was referring to Islamic tradition.

So was I.
Two questions:

1) Would you say that Islamic tradition throughout the centuries have taken, on the whole, a beleif that at times Mohammad killed people or commanded the people be killed? Or are you saying he carried a sword he never used? He lead from the rear so to speak?

I think you need to differentiate between those who actually study the Quran and Hadith and those who merely express unstudied opinions.

Have you ever met an Islamic fiqh scholar or Hafiz who told you that Muhammed had killed anyone?
2) Do you Sam believe that Mohammad had killed someone or commanded that someone be killed?

Of course he did, after all he was the Judge and while he was alive passed legal rulings. I'm sure that in his legal position, he must have put murderers and terrorists to death, if they were not forgiven by their victims (in Islamic law, a victim can either forgive, demand compensation or blood retribution from the Judge)

I wonder why so many Muslims I talk to say yes he killed people. Just flat out say Oh course he killed people he was a courageous hero bla bla bla....

Considering how little the Muslims you meet appear to know about Islam, I'm not at all surprised.

Lastly, I am referring to Islamic tradition. Is there a tradition in Islam that Mohammad killed people or had other people kill people? If so who and under what circumstances?

As for:

Then why read the Qur'an at all?

"The oldest manuscripts of the Quran still in existence date from not earlier than about one hundred years after Muhammad's death." ("Jam' Al-Qur'an", page 153)

Oh BUT Michael Michael Michael - THAT'S completely different!

;)
Michael

(I'm tempted to ask if you believe the story about Mohammad riding magical winged fairy creature ... surely no?!?!?!? :eek: )

Lastly, DH, I asked a question and I provided links - asking a question is not bagging Islam - that is trying to get an answer. Maybe the answer is one you don't like but that's tough - it's still worthwhile to ask the question. So why do you be a dear and answer it?

You're a very poor researcher. The oldest surviving Quran is from 100 years after Mohammed. Know of many 1300 year old books? Only one-third of the Othman Quran has survived, from 17 years after Mohammed's death.

As for tradition, it is collected and cited; however, the older they are the more likely they are to be accurate especially if the citations are beyond reproach. Even the ones that are well cited, if they happen to be later, only give an indication of the accuracy of citation, without that of accuracy of the subject matter. In the interest of allowing all opinions to survive (and for the integrity of later research), the Muslims kept all records with citations as they heard/found them.

Also there are issues with dating old Qurans
A few words of caution concerning the dating of the Qur'anic manuscripts need to be mentioned. It is to be remembered that assigning a date to an undated early Qur'anic manuscript is rarely simple especially in the absence of Wakf marking. There is a tendency to assume that those in large scripts and without vowels are of the earliest date. This assumption, true to some extent, is nevertheless misleading in two respects. It ignores that fact that small as well as large masahif of the Qur'an were among the earliest written and that both types continued to be written thereafter. Though the assumption that manuscripts with the vowels must be considered later than those without is true in some cases, it is not always so, for some very early manuscripts of the Qur'an, originally written without vowels, may well have been voweled later. Furthermore, the first vowel system came into use shortly after the first masahif were written. There are also examples of later masahif which were unvoweled even after 3 centuries after hijra!

Since Omar started the tradition of Tahfiz immediately after Muhammed's death, which has continued until today, there is almost nil chances of the oldest surviving Quran being any different from the modern Quran (the only differences are in didactic marks and Tahfiz takes care of that.

Yes and no. The prior versions were seemingly contradictory.

I think you need to differentiate between those who actually study the Quran and Hadith and those who merely express unstudied opinions.

Have you ever met an Islamic fiqh scholar or Hafiz who told you that Muhammed had killed anyone?

Sam, you make a lot about how little muslims who talk about islam without knowinig about it; invariably when there's a negative impression from their input. You go on about how people really need to understand the Quran: yet these people understand it as well as you do, and better. I'm sure an imam knows the Quran better than you, or a sheikh, or an Ayatollah, even. Are these people not possessed of sufficient authority to understand the Quran? Is no one? There may be scholars that deny it; there are also those that admit it, frankly. Who is right? Who shall we believe? Is the defense of the indefensible rooted in argument from authority? And which authority?

Of course he did, after all he was the Judge and while he was alive passed legal rulings. I'm sure that in his legal position, he must have put murderers and terrorists to death, if they were not forgiven by their victims (in Islamic law, a victim can either forgive, demand compensation or blood retribution from the Judge).

What, he didn't try to pacify and understand the terrorists? Maybe there was some reason for their terror. Maybe they had justified issues. You can't simply round up all the people opposed to Mohammed and kill them for "terrorism" ("spreading mischief in the land").

Well, one actually could, but it wouldn't be too moral.

Yes and no. The prior versions were seemingly contradictory.

Link
Sam, you make a lot about how little muslims who talk about islam without knowinig about it; invariably when there's a negative impression from their input. You go on about how people really need to understand the Quran: yet these people understand it as well as you do, and better. I'm sure an imam knows the Quran better than you, or a sheikh, or an Ayatollah, even. Are these people not possessed of sufficient authority to understand the Quran? Is no one? There may be scholars that deny it; there are also those that admit it, frankly. Who is right? Who shall we believe? Is the defense of the indefensible rooted in argument from authority? And which authority?

Do you believe every imam studies the Quran? That is where you err.
In Saudi Arabia, the boy working in my kitchen would lead the prayer sometimes, effectively making him the imam.

Fiqh scholars are very specific.

What, he didn't try to pacify and understand the terrorists? Maybe there was some reason for their terror. Maybe they had justified issues. You can't simply round up all the people opposed to Mohammed and kill them for "terrorism" ("spreading mischief in the land").

Well, one actually could, but it wouldn't be too moral.

Thats Western law. In Islamic law, for murder, the victim's family has the say. The Judge reviews the evidence and questions the witnesses. If he finds an injustice has been done, he asks the victim's family to forgive the criminal, if they disagrees it moves on to monetary compensation (most people opt for this); only in rare cases is the criminal sentenced to death. If the victim does not agree to the sentence it is not generally passed, unless they are minors. Then an elder from their family can co-opt on their behalf. For terrorists and such, a council of elders would decide on the punishment, not the judge alone. In Muhammed's case he consulted with his wives and companions.

Last edited:
Muhammad was nothing more than an illiterate pedaphile...such an ignorant man...not close to the level of someone like Jesus....man Jesus was great...

Was Jesus literate?

I'm not sure...don't know...but he was certainly smarter than Muhammad...the reason I favor Jesus over Muhammad is because the teachings of Jesus....you know its "love your enemies" vs. "if someone fights you, kill them", "he who is not against us is for us" vs. "all non-believers are infidels", etc.....man I'm not trying to follow the teachings of some ignorant illiterate pedaphile ...

I'm not sure...don't know...but he was certainly smarter than Muhammad...the reason I favor Jesus over Muhammad is because the teachings of Jesus....you know its "love your enemies" vs. "if someone fights you, kill them", "he who is not against us is for us" vs. "all non-believers are infidels", etc.....man I'm not trying to follow the teachings of some ignorant illiterate pedaphile ...

Considering neither he nor any of his associates actually wrote down his accounts, I fail to see how you can say so with such accuracy. Judaism and Islam have the same laws.

And from what I have read over 90% of the people at the time were illiterate. Btw, what did Jesus say about age of marriage ?

Considering neither he nor any of his associates actually wrote down his accounts, I fail to see how you can say so with such accuracy. Judaism and Islam have the same laws.

Yeah Judaism and Islam are like the same...because it's the same God as the in the OT...the same vengeful, evil, jealous God....where as the NT God is the Father Jesus spoke of is the benevolent, kind Father in heaven....yet for some reason the Jews and Muslims hate each other...and the Old Testament (OT) says that "an enemy of the Jews is an enemy of God"...so I guess Hitler and all those Islamic fundamentalists are enemies of God by the words of the OT...

Yeah Judaism and Islam are like the same...because it's the same God as the in the OT...the same vengeful, evil, jealous God....where as the NT God is the Father Jesus spoke of is the benevolent, kind Father in heaven....yet for some reason the Jews and Muslims hate each other...and the Old Testament (OT) says that "an enemy of the Jews is an enemy of God"...so I guess Hitler and all those Islamic fundamentalists are enemies of God by the words of the OT...

Sounds like a hate mongering post. Would Jesus approve?:p

Btw, you do realise that the Bible includes the OT? That Jesus did not reject it?

http://www.greatcom.org/resources/reasons_skeptics/ch_06/default.htm

Sounds like a hate mongering post. Would Jesus approve?:p

Depends...if Jesus agrees it is the truth he would approve...Jesus said lots of harsh things to his people, calling them the generation of vipers (ignorant fools), because they did not understand what he truly taught....and this same generation of vipers exists today...

But he probably wouldn't approve...something about judging, condemning, etc...not being good...

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire" (Matt 5:22)

Depends...if Jesus agrees it is the truth he would approve...Jesus said lots of harsh things to his people, calling them the generation of vipers (ignorant fools), because they did not understand what he truly taught....and this same generation of vipers exists today...

But he probably wouldn't approve...something about judging, condemning, etc...not being good...

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire" (Matt 5:22)

Thats not what the NT says
Jesus believed that the Old Testament was divinely inspired, the veritable Word of God. He said, "The Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35). He referred to Scripture as "the commandment of God" (Matthew 15:3) and as the "Word of God" (Matthew 15:6). He also indicated that it was indestructible: "Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished" (Matthew 5:18). Notice that he mentions even the words and letters!

When dealing with the people of His day, whether it was with the disciples or religious rulers, Jesus constantly referred to the Old Testament: "Have you not read that which was spoken to you by God?" (Matthew 22:31); "Yea; and have you never read, 'Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babes thou hast prepared praise for thyself'?" (Matthew 21:16, citing Psalm 8:2); and "Have you not read what David did?" (Matthew 12:3). Examples could be multiplied to demonstrate that Jesus was conversant with the Old Testament and its content. He quoted from it often and He trusted it totally.

He confirmed many of the accounts in the Old Testament, such as the destruction of Sodom and the death of Lot's wife (Luke 17:29, 32), the murder of Abel by his brother Cain (Luke 11:51), the calling of Moses (Mark 12:26), the manna given in the wilderness (John 6:31-51), the judgment upon Tyre and Sidon (Matthew 1-1:21), and many others.

Back