Mormon Teachings

How has this thread effected your veiw of the LDS church?

• Veiw the church more favorably

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Less favorably

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • No change

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No more and no less than any other church out there

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
water said:
But with an addition:

You said

"Priesthood authority is necessary for baptism to be recognized by God"

and only LDS have it.

According to you, God recognizes no other authority than that of the LDS.
("To obtain this ultimate degree of salvation, it is necessary to "obey the laws and ordinances of the gospel." (Third Article of Faith) These laws and ordinances are taught in their fulness only by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.")

God may judge the hearts of men, but men need the approval of the LDS to be recognized before God.

There is no way that God would save someone (in full), unless this person is approved by the LDS.

True to an extent; however, God recognizes that non-LDS people have their religious traditions and He will be patient with them when they stick to those traditions.

It's true--only the new and everlasting covenant of celestial marriage as taught and practiced by the LDS Church will be sufficient for exaltation (the highest degree of salvation, wherein we become gods and goddesses). But God is merciful and will work with people who didn't grow up in the LDS faith, leading them (if they will allow it) to the truth.

Also, there are lower degrees of salvation that men can qualify for without Latter-day Saint celestial marriage. But why settle for second or third best? Don't you want a fulness of joy? Well, if you do, then celestial marriage is the only way to get it.

Jenyar said:
I've heard this "sectarian Christianity" argument before, but it's strange strange coming from someone who believes the true church is seen in "the hearts of men, regardless of what denomination they belong to".

See my post above about the traditions of men and how God will work with mercy among those following false traditions. You can be a Christian without having Priesthood authority, and you can be a Christian and still have false ideas.

It's an even worse argument when considering that the LDS church has different factions among themselves as well. Why is there already a Reorganized Church of Latter-Day Saints 170 years into its existence? It seems to be going down the same road as the early church headed by the first apostles (1 Cor. 11:18-19). And that church didn't even have name, it was Christ's body; Christ's church. So to quote you: "True Christians, whatever their denomination is, are of the church of the Lamb of God."

Some information on Mormon denominations and splinter groups: The Mormon Denominations and Groups within the
Latter Day Saint Movement
(The page "is devoted to the study of the history and theology of those groups which can be traced back to the Church of Christ organized by Joseph Smith, Jr. in 1830.")

The mainstream LDS Church does not recoginze the "authority" or validity of the offshoot apostate groups. However, they are still recognized as Christian.

His authority, not man's authority. God's authority is Christ, and it is delegated directly - without any further need for mediation - to each Christian.

False. God's authority is found in the Holy Priesthood and only in it.

There are only "living stones" in the church of the Lamb:
1 Peter 2:4-5
As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.​

Peter was speaking to the saints who held the Priesthood.

You have never been able to show me that Peter, James or John had ever received any authority that had specifically to do with ordinances. It is simpy a neccessary assumption the LDS has to make for their claim to exlcusivity. And despite what you say, exclusivity it is. Because we all know that nobody can ever quote you or Mr. Keller for any authority - because they don't "represent official doctrine", and that will be that. We must simply trust that all Mormons will agree that Christians outside the LDS are part of "the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth" (D&C 1:30). If that is the case, our sacraments without such a priesthood are just as valid as yours with the LDS priesthood, and you have no more earthly authority than any other Christian. If that is not the case, God does indeed show favouritism among His children. And will Mormons believe you, Roger Keller, or the apostle Orson Pratt?
But who in this generation have authority to baptize? None but those who have received authority in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; all other churches are entirely destitute of all authority from God; and any person who receives baptism or the Lord's Supper from their hands will highly offend God; for He looks upon them as the most corrupt of all people. Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'whore of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornication and wickedness. And any person who shall be so wicked as to receive a holy ordinance of the gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent of the unholy and impious act (The Seer, p. 255).

Orson Pratt's The Seer was denounced as containing false doctrine and he was asked to publicly recant it, which he did. True, some of the early LDS leaders spoke vehemently against other Christian religions. Since then, though, we have discovered that we can attract more flies with sugar than with vinegar, so to speak. Be that as it may, however, we still proclaim, as God wishes us to, that we exclusively hold the keys to the holy Priesthood. He Himself restored them through the Prophet Joseph Smith, and He does not excuse Himself.

Besides, your assertions seem contradictory. To quote you:
"Not so. I do think that you need to be baptized by someone holding the Priesthood, but the LDS Church teaches that other Christians are Christians, independent of the fact that they don't have Priesthood authority";
Compare that with "His authority is necessary for an ordinance like baptism to be valid. This authority is found only in the LDS Priesthood."

You don't have to be baptized to be a Christian.

As you know, I was not baptized by an LDS Priest. So I ask you to clarify: is my baptism valid, as you said?

No, it is not valid; however, you are a Christian and I have no doubt that you are of the church of the lamb of God, if your words are any indication of this. I have no doubt that if you are a true believer in Christ, you will eventually accept a valid baptism.

Marlin said:
True to an extent; however, God recognizes that non-LDS people have their religious traditions and He will be patient with them when they stick to those traditions.

It's true--only the new and everlasting covenant of celestial marriage as taught and practiced by the LDS Church will be sufficient for exaltation (the highest degree of salvation, wherein we become gods and goddesses). But God is merciful and will work with people who didn't grow up in the LDS faith, leading them (if they will allow it) to the truth.

Also, there are lower degrees of salvation that men can qualify for without Latter-day Saint celestial marriage. But why settle for second or third best? Don't you want a fulness of joy? Well, if you do, then celestial marriage is the only way to get it.

No man wants me because I am ugly.
God allows it so.
No matter what I do, I will never get full exaltation.

God is just?
God loves me?

water said:
No man wants me because I am ugly.
God allows it so.
No matter what I do, I will never get full exaltation.

God is just?
God loves me?

Everyone gets a decent chance, even if it is in the afterlife rather than in this life. Don't despair, you'll have a fair chance. Otherwise, God wouldn't be just or loving (which He is).

It's true--only the new and everlasting covenant of celestial marriage as taught and practiced by the LDS Church will be sufficient for exaltation (the highest degree of salvation, wherein we become gods and goddesses).
If a temple marriage is necessary for eternal life, why isn't it ever mentioned in the Bible or the Book of Mormon? Jesus taught that there would be no marriages in heaven (Luke 20:34-35). He said nobody will be "taken" (from an unmarried state) or "given" (by parents) in marriage.

You are either saved or you're not. There are no degrees of salvation. Whatever was was lacking for salvation, Christ provided, and whatever is unfit for God's kingdom will be burnt away, even from those who are saved (1 Cor. 3:15). You are speaking of different kingdoms, as if God was somehow less present in one part of his kingdom than another, or as if eternal life he promised could be divided up.
Rev. 21:3-4 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."​
Christ has but one church, one bride: the holy City (Rev. 21:2). She will not be divided up and receive various degrees of love. Righteous acts are gifts, not requirements:
Rev. 19:7 Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)
I would ask you, Marlin: What is required to achieve eternal life in Mormonism? And have you met all of those requirements?

Marlin said:
Everyone gets a decent chance, even if it is in the afterlife rather than in this life. Don't despair, you'll have a fair chance. Otherwise, God wouldn't be just or loving (which He is).

Oh, sure. My chance will be in being a whore to a man of another woman?

Jenyar said:
If a temple marriage is necessary for eternal life, why isn't it ever mentioned in the Bible or the Book of Mormon?

I don't know. Maybe God specifically wanted to restore it through Joseph Smith by modern-day revelation, or maybe the Nephites thought that temple marriages were so commonplace that they didn't need to be mentioned.

Jesus taught that there would be no marriages in heaven (Luke 20:34-35). He said nobody will be "taken" (from an unmarried state) or "given" (by parents) in marriage.

This is LDS doctrine as well. The chance for eternal marriage for time and all eternity is, for the saints of God, one which is only available to them in this life. After the chance has passed and Final Judgment is rendered, there is no further marrying in heaven.

You are either saved or you're not. There are no degrees of salvation.

Mormons disagree with this, obviously.

Whatever was was lacking for salvation, Christ provided, and whatever is unfit for God's kingdom will be burnt away, even from those who are saved (1 Cor. 3:15). You are speaking of different kingdoms, as if God was somehow less present in one part of his kingdom than another, or as if eternal life he promised could be divided up.

Yet that is how it is, according to revealed scripture. God *is* less present in the terrestrial and telestial kingdoms.

Rev. 21:3-4 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."​
Christ has but one church, one bride: the holy City (Rev. 21:2). She will not be divided up and receive various degrees of love. Righteous acts are gifts, not requirements:
Rev. 19:7 Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)

Righteous acts are both required and are gifts.

I would ask you, Marlin: What is required to achieve eternal life in Mormonism? And have you met all of those requirements?

Keep the commandments; be baptized; receive endowments and temple marriage for time and all eternity; endure to the end in faithfulness.

No, I haven't been married yet, so I don't meet all the requirements. Yet. And I don't pretend to be perfect in following the commandments, either. But I have faith that someday I will receive an inheritance in God's kingdom. Whether it will be the celestial kingdom or a lower one, I don't know. I just have to press forward with faith and keep the commandments to the best of my ability, and the grace of Christ will do the rest.

Marlin said:
See my post above about the traditions of men and how God will work with mercy among those following false traditions. You can be a Christian without having Priesthood authority, and you can be a Christian and still have false ideas.
It's God's mercy to those following false traditions that we're talking about. According to Mormons, this includes everyone outside the Mormon church (or Joseph Smith would have joined a church instead of establish one). But in God's eyes, everyone was regarded and convicted as "sinful" (under the moral and legal commandment) in order to be saved by grace alone when they accept Christ. "Let God be true, and every man a liar".

Christians will be identified by the works that are given for them - their "fruit". The vine who enables us to bear that fruit is Christ himself, not any authority on earth. Not even the authorities that were properly established by God himself can make us Christian in that sense.

People might for instance have authority to prophesy in God's name, drive out demons and perform many miracles, and still not be recognized by Christ: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matt. 7:21). And according to Matthew 7, that will does not depend on the authority we inherited. Jesus confirms this again in Matthew 23:
Matt. 23:8-12
"But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.​
vs.
"But why settle for second or third best? Don't you want a fulness of joy?"

Rather settle for no joy at all for the sake of Christ. His kingdom is not about me, it's about everybody else.
The mainstream LDS Church does not recoginze the "authority" or validity of the offshoot apostate groups. However, they are still recognized as Christian.
And how is this different from what you call "sectarian Christianity"?

False. God's authority is found in the Holy Priesthood and only in it.
Rev. 12:10-11
Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
"Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Christ.

For the accuser of our brothers,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down.
They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony
Everyone who has overcome evil has God's authority:
Rev. 2:26
To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations...
Revelation 3:12
Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.
Revelation 3:21
To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.
Revelation 21:7
He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.​
Now you only have to tell me that Christians outside the Mormon church are not eligible for these promises of Jesus. That they have not overcome the world by faith in His blood. That they need any other priesthood but the one Christ holds, to share his throne with Him. Or that any authority but Christ is present in any true Christian, because:
1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
1 John 5:4
for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
1 John 5:5
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.​
Peter was speaking to the saints who held the Priesthood.
In his own words:
"To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood"​
Who are those "sanctified by the work of the Spirit", according to Jesus?
John 17:18-21
As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.​
And we know that Paul did not consider baptism or religious rituals of such significance, even though his express purpose was to spread the sanctifying work of the Spirit:
Rom. 15:16 ...to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles with the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.​
You don't have to be baptized to be a Christian.
Maybe so, but baptism is a sign of becoming a disciple of Christ:
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit​
Yet, why would someone who claims to be "born of the Spirit" (i.e. has proclaimed Jesus as the Christ), not want to be "born of water" in accordance to John 3:5? What kind of a Christian refuses to "pledge of a good conscience toward God"?
No, it is not valid; however, you are a Christian and I have no doubt that you are of the church of the lamb of God, if your words are any indication of this. I have no doubt that if you are a true believer in Christ, you will eventually accept a valid baptism.
Once again, surely you are aware that the Book of Mormon contains no reference to such a practice. And it's supposed to be the restored gospel, containing the "missing" elements of Christianity. It's ironic that the only ancient reference to the practice is in the Bible, mentioned in passing, as something "those people" do.

The validity of any baptism depends only the reality of the death of Jesus, and that's why it also symbolizes his resurrection:
Romans 6:3
"Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."​
The water symbolizes the real baptism that saves us: "not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 3:21). In fact, this is the very point Paul was making in 1 Cor. 15. His argument is that even "they" (those who don't believe in a resurrection, v.12) are trying to save the dead by proxy baptism, "And as for us," he says, "why should we endanger ourselves for merely human reasons, if there is nothing to gain?" (1 Cor. 15:30).

As someone said, "If Paul taught baptism for the dead, it is inexplicable that he would exclude himself from those who practiced the rite".

Last edited:
marlin said:
Yet that is how it is, according to revealed scripture. God *is* less present in the terrestrial and telestial kingdoms.
You ignored my supporting scrpture:
Rev. 21:3-4 "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away".​
If God is somhowe less present in some areas of his kingdom, there is no evidence of it in the Bible, and it certainly has no effect on anyone's experience of the kingdom.

water: Of course there are. And they think me too ugly.
And God wills it so.
M*W: Differences aside, the reason they think you are too ugly is because you think you are too ugly. People emanate what they believe about themselves. If you believe in God, and if you believe you were created in God's image, you should love and respect yourself more. You should start seeing your body as the temple it is. Those men who think you are too ugly are shallow. Not every man in this world is looking for arm candy. There are a lot of lonely men out there that would appreciate you. Their attraction to you will come from your inner being not your physical appearance.

I have no idea how old you are, but I assume you are a mature woman from the tone of your posts. Is it really your perception of your own ugliness, or is it the fear of being alone? That, too, scares men off when, in fact, we really don't need them. Since age 29, I spent the entirety of my adult life alone. I had children I was rearing alone, and frankly I didn't want to bring a men around them. I spent many nights crying myself to sleep, but as I neared 40, I started crying myself awake. No man in his right mind would want a woman with four children. My allegience was to my children and my career. Notice, I did not include myself in that equation. As time went on, I became more confident in my own ability to survive alone, and the loneliness simply went away. No more crying myself to sleep nor crying myself awake. My children are all grown, and my life is finally my own. Don't doubt yourself; honor yourself and the life you have. It's yours. One little thing that helped me through each day was to recite positive affirmations. I created this one:

"I live the life my spirit creates."

Always keep it in the present. The past is gone, and the future is unknown. All we have is right now, and right now this moment, you are beautiful, desirable, confident, loving, glowing, caring and giving. Everything good in the universe is coming your way.

Medicine Woman said:
water: Of course there are. And they think me too ugly.
And God wills it so.
M*W: Differences aside, the reason they think you are too ugly is because you think you are too ugly. People emanate what they believe about themselves. If you believe in God, and if you believe you were created in God's image, you should love and respect yourself more. You should start seeing your body as the temple it is. Those men who think you are too ugly are shallow. Not every man in this world is looking for arm candy. There are a lot of lonely men out there that would appreciate you. Their attraction to you will come from your inner being not your physical appearance.

I have no idea how old you are, but I assume you are a mature woman from the tone of your posts. Is it really your perception of your own ugliness, or is it the fear of being alone? That, too, scares men off when, in fact, we really don't need them. Since age 29, I spent the entirety of my adult life alone. I had children I was rearing alone, and frankly I didn't want to bring a men around them. I spent many nights crying myself to sleep, but as I neared 40, I started crying myself awake. No man in his right mind would want a woman with four children. My allegience was to my children and my career. Notice, I did not include myself in that equation. As time went on, I became more confident in my own ability to survive alone, and the loneliness simply went away. No more crying myself to sleep nor crying myself awake. My children are all grown, and my life is finally my own. Don't doubt yourself; honor yourself and the life you have. It's yours. One little thing that helped me through each day was to recite positive affirmations. I created this one:

"I live the life my spirit creates."

Always keep it in the present. The past is gone, and the future is unknown. All we have is right now, and right now this moment, you are beautiful, desirable, confident, loving, glowing, caring and giving. Everything good in the universe is coming your way.

Medicine Woman, are you possessed by the devil or what?!
You were nice to me, did you just notice that?!

Ok. Then you will never find anyone and you should just get used to that. As a Medusan, you should make sure no one ever gets to look directly upon you either.

Do you have someone to get you groceries?

Back