Magen David Ambulance Dispatch: “Is it an Arab or a Jew?”

I don't even see why genetics should be an issue here in the first place, which is why I don't even bother bringing it up in conversation. A disputed piece of land is conquered by various ethnicities over a period of many centuries. Eventually it falls into the hands of Turkey, and then finally to Britain after Turkey's ill-advised decision to enter WWI. Britain promises to divide the land between Jews and Jordanians, and both sides agree to it (circa 1920). Jews, having an unbroken cultural connection to the land spanning thousands of years, never having given up any claims on it in the first place, find themselves in the middle of a massacre with nowhere else to go, and end up migrating onto lands available for reclamation and usage.

Ever since then, the Arabs have done more than just question the legitimacy of Israel's current borders- they've questioned the Jewish people's very right to have any sort of lands of their own in the region, on top of questioning their very right to exist as a people. The more this kind of hardline threat to Israelis continues, the more it drives Israelis to respond in a similar fashion when Arabs are on the receiving end of the oppression. That's why you have cases like this, where it may or may not have been a case of racist discrimination, but you have the Arabs suspecting racism because that's been their past experience.
Please show one example of an arab question the right of the jews to exist as a people. and yes the question the right for a jewish state in lands that haven't had a legal jewish majority in 2000 years but general land ownership they aren't against.

Hey Bhagwan. 2000 years ago was when they were mythically exiled. The Jewish religion is 5000 years old. The Ashkenazim did not even exist as a population there before 2000 years

actually the jewish calander records 5000 years but the faith isn't that old.

And?

This says nothing about the origin of the founding populations, only that the populations of Jews outside Israel, like those in the Ashkenaz, were founded by a few people, and founded independently, it does nothing to contradict the idea of a common origin seperated from the founding by up to a thousand years.

Meanwhile, we have the Merneptah stele from 1200 BC which mentions israel, and the Mesha stele from 1000 BC which mentions YHWH.

it should be noted that the Merneptah stele doesn't mention Israel as being a state/country but merely a people.

Present your studies again, Sam. Your link has little to do with your argument - as usual - although it does underscore your usual trolling that Jews = Nazis. Also, make sure your references prove that the Palestinians were there since Neolithic times.

Finally, it really isn't proper to hate me for being a migrant. I certainly didn't despise you because you were.

Interesting point here, and I'll see if I can track a link down when I have time, but as I understand it, the Phillistines, who ultimately intermarried with with the tribesof Canaan to become the Palestinians, may have been Mycenean in origin (or possibly the sea people).

Interesting point here, and I'll see if I can track a link down when I have time, but as I understand it, the Phillistines, who ultimately intermarried with with the tribesof Canaan to become the Palestinians, may have been Mycenean in origin (or possibly the sea people).

The only problem with that theory is the language. you would expect to see a decent greek/indoeuropean language influence which to my knowledge you don't. given hebrew and arabic both being semitic languages it seems logical to assume that both groups have simliar orgins. the bronze age migrations from the arabian pennisula.

That used to mean the same thing.

You'd have a point expect the Egpytians specifally mentioned in that stele the other groups of caanon as countries so clearly your mistaken. Their has always been a difference between a people and a state. while most states in early times were single ethnicity states they understood a difference between the political entity of a state and a people. look at persia which destroyed many a state but made a point of incorporating the people into its empire. if we take you idea as a reality how would this happen because they would have viewed the state as still existing and a potential threat?

it should be noted that the Merneptah stele doesn't mention Israel as being a state/country but merely a people.

Bzzzt.
It specifical mentions them as a nomadic tribe - kind of like the Bedouin.
And your dismissive "Merely a people" - are you saying that the Bedouin don't have their own cultural identity?

Besides which, go back and re-read what I actually said.

That used to mean the same thing.

Actually, in this instance the egyptians denote the difference between a tribe and a country with seperate heiroglyphs. In the instance of the Merneptah Stele, places like Ashkelon were given the determanitive of a foreign country.

And?

This says nothing about the origin of the founding populations, only that the populations of Jews outside Israel, like those in the Ashkenaz, were founded by a few people, and founded independently, it does nothing to contradict the idea of a common origin seperated from the founding by up to a thousand years.

Meanwhile, we have the Merneptah stele from 1200 BC which mentions israel, and the Mesha stele from 1000 BC which mentions YHWH.

And so? What do the Ashkenazi have to do with Israel, besides their claim that they do? I already indicated that the Palestinians who were the original Jews were Christianised and later, Arabised.

The Ashkenazi on the other hand are obviously Europeans

"Subsequent analyses have
confirmed a substantial sharing of Y-chromosome haplotypes
among different Jewish communities and also between
Jewish and non-Jewish Near Eastern populations
(Hammer et al. 2000; Nebel et al. 2000)."

When you have time, read those papers. The origin of the women is murky at best, with lots of logarithmic analysis of a very tiny sample size to find maybe one mutation in one woman that might be linked to a similar mutation somewhere in the near East

lol

Meanwhile here is something to keep in mind:

Skeletons found at Masada by Yigael Yadin between 1963 and 1965 and later given a state burial by the Israeli government were not those of Jewish patriots but Roman soldiers, says Joseph Zias of Jerusalem's Rockefeller Museum.

The claim that the skeletons were those of the Jewish fighters who defended Masada against the Romans in A.D. 70 has long been questioned. Yadin's photographs of the remains in situ seem to show far fewer than the 25 skeletons officially reported. Furthermore, Yadin confirmed in 1982 that pig bones were found with the human ones. Since the zealots of Masada would not have buried their dead with the bones of an unclean animal, some scholars suggested that the remains were those of Christians who inhabited Masada in Byzantine times.

The bones are not available for examination, so Zias carbon-dated textiles found with them. The tests date the burial site to the time of the Jewish revolt, but Zias notes that Romans sacrificed pigs at burials. He concludes that the skeletons may well be the remains of soldiers from the Roman garrison that occupied Masada after the Jewish rebellion was surpressed. Zias says that Yadin had doubts about the identification of the skeletons, but that pressure from Israeli political leaders to connect the bones with the Masada legend led him to acquiesce to the state funeral.

http://www.archaeology.org/9711/newsbriefs/masada.html

Politics and science don't make for good bedfellows. Or are the Jews descended from pigs? :eek:

Last edited:
Bzzzt.
It specifical mentions them as a nomadic tribe - kind of like the Bedouin.
And your dismissive "Merely a people" - are you saying that the Bedouin don't have their own cultural identity?

Besides which, go back and re-read what I actually said.

but the in the greater scope of the argument is connecting a genetic/cultural entity to a political entity. and the mention wasn't so much to countermand your point but to preempt the arguments from some of our more rabid pro Israel supporters from using the information in a way that is not in line with its actual signifigance. ie. trying to push the idea of a jewish political entity out side of a time frame general understood by archeologists and historians.

And so? What do the Ashkenazi have to do with Israel, besides their claim that they do? I already indicated that the Palestinians who were the original Jews were Christianised and later, Arabised.

The Ashkenazi on the other hand are obviously Europeans

When you have time, read those papers. The origin of the women is murky at best, with lots of logarithmic analysis of a very tiny sample size to find maybe one mutation in one woman that might be linked to a similar mutation somewhere in the near East

lol

Meanwhile here is something to keep in mind:

http://www.archaeology.org/9711/newsbriefs/masada.html

Politics and science don't make for good bedfellows. Or are the Jews descended from pigs? :eek:

They couldn't arabize they were already arab/protoarab people. and any jewish population will have genetic links to the levant and arab people considering their origins are similar.

The only problem with that theory is the language. you would expect to see a decent greek/indoeuropean language influence which to my knowledge you don't. given hebrew and arabic both being semitic languages it seems logical to assume that both groups have simliar orgins. the bronze age migrations from the arabian pennisula.

El wrongo againo.
Firstly, you're ignoring the presence of Late Helladic IIIC pottery in the region, which evolves into Phillistine pottery.
Not to mention, if we invoke the bible as a source, the number of non semitic loan words attributed to the Phillistines:
Seranim, argaz, padi, Goliath, Ahish, Phicol.

And ignores the possibility that through intermarriage, and for convenience, they may have adopted one of the Cannanite languages.

but the in the greater scope of the argument is connecting a genetic/cultural entity to a political entity. and the mention wasn't so much to countermand your point but to preempt the arguments from some of our more rabid pro Israel supporters from using the information in a way that is not in line with its actual signifigance. ie. trying to push the idea of a jewish political entity out side of a time frame general understood by archeologists and historians.

As ooposed to our more rabid pro palestine supporters making untruthful or unrepresentative claims?

As ooposed to our more rabid pro palestine supporters making untruthful or unrepresentative claims?

Feel free to point out even one. :rolleyes:

The papers are all there and so is the raw data, gene homologues fall clearly and nicely into patterns which show relationships/

You just have to avoid all the hasbara that pads the analysis and look only at the facts.

This is clearly a woman of Polish origin.

livni.jpg

You don't need brain surgery to see that

Moreover she is an atheist, so all the gobbledygook from mythology is irrelevant.

El wrongo againo.
Firstly, you're ignoring the presence of Late Helladic IIIC pottery in the region, which evolves into Phillistine pottery.
which could be and is probably more likely an indication of trade. the phonecians were known as traders. I mean roman goods have been found in china that doesn't mean rome conquered parts of china.
Not to mention, if we invoke the bible as a source, the number of non semitic loan words attributed to the Phillistines:
Seranim, argaz, padi, Goliath, Ahish, Phicol.
I am loathe to accept a religious document as evidence.

And ignores the possibility that through intermarriage, and for convenience, they may have adopted one of the Cannanite languages.

perhaps but cultural exchange is never one way. If the phillistines were the orgins of the palestinians you would see some evidence is language culture genetics of a connection which i just don't see. I mean a couple of words that seem greek in origin is hardly proof considering the phonecians had a fair amount of interaction with the early greek peoples having a few greeks words in the only surviving contemporary semitic language isn't surprising.

Feel free to point out even one. :rolleyes:

The papers are all there and so is the raw data, gene homologues fall clearly and nicely into patterns which show relationships/

You just have to avoid all the hasbara that pads the analysis and look only at the facts.

This is clearly a woman of Polish origin.

livni.jpg

You don't need brain surgery to see that

Moreover she is an atheist, so all the gobbledygook from mythology is irrelevant.

um SAM slavic people have dark hair and eyes

As oposed to our more rabid pro palestine supporters making untruthful or unrepresentative claims?

I have found that the pro palestinian people generalally tend to be closer to the facts though in such a debate as one like the conflict in palestine facts generally fall by the wayside.

So do Arabs.

Where do blond blue eyed Jews come from?

Her parents just migrated 60 years ago, whats the Polish demographic?

Back