Life After Death but Without God

Artists usually want to express something when they make an artwork.
What did God want to express with the universe ?

In my belief it's Gods' way of exploring he/she self thru the multiplicity of trillions upon trillions of events/places occurring at any one given point in time. I look at all of us as being tiny bits of the greater whole (God). A belief,yes, considered new age or paganistic by many people today in the media or by fundamentalist religous people who view God as being a separate entity apart from creation. They do use those terms like new age in a derogatory manner of course because to them it amounts to "false religion".

Buddhists believe in life after death even though they don't believe in god. But generally if you don't belive in god, if you are an atheist, you also don't believe in souls because they are similar to god.

But the existence of souls is no more strange than the existence of our "physical" bodies. Matter can exist in different states, like solid, gas, plasma. Matter can exist in infinite different states and there are many states that are invisible for us, and there are whole worlds and galaxies composed of such substance.

All ancient traditions teach us that we have several layers of bodies: physical body, soul and spirit for example (Christianity). Other teachings call them astral and ethereal body. Ancient people were spiritually more advanced than us, and they could see these things.

Last edited:
In my belief it's Gods' way of exploring he/she self thru the multiplicity of trillions upon trillions of events/places occurring at any one given point in time. I look at all of us as being tiny bits of the greater whole (God). A belief,yes, considered new age or paganistic by many people today in the media or by fundamentalist religous people who view God as being a separate entity apart from creation. They do use those terms like new age in a derogatory manner of course because to them it amounts to "false religion".

On what grounds did you arrive at that belief ?

Buddhists believe in life after death even though they don't believe in god. But generally if you don't belive in god, if you are an atheist, you also don't believe in souls because they are similar to god.

But the existence of souls is no more strange than the existence of our "physical" bodies. Matter can exist in different states, like solid, gas, plasma. Matter can exist in infinite different states and there are many states that are invisible for us, and there are whole worlds and galaxies composed of such substance.

All ancient traditions teach us that we have several layers of bodies: physical body, soul and spirit for example (Christianity). Other teachings call them astral and ethereal body. Ancient people were spiritually more advanced than us, and they could see these things.

I despair

to me this raises serioous questions about why one would insist on a life after death without god

And those questions are what? And why serious? You make it sound like it totally couldn't happen. It's no more unrealistic than believing God's waiting for you. In fact it's a less complicated afterlife which should promote a less complicated Earthbound existence, Fewer worries, less time wasted, less reliance on imaginary gods....it's a more purer existence, an honest human existence where we get to behave like we should be behaving with the intelligence we were born with.

Psycho,

verytime I listen to afterlife stories I'll bet that 99% of them contain references to a soul, spirit, God and Heaven.

How many of you would just be comfortable with an afterlife where none of that exists? Can you be an atheist and harbor a belief in the afterlife?
The problem I see is "what would I be?"

Without a living brain I would not have -

1. Any memory.
2. Any ability to think.
3. Any ability to experience emotions.
4. Any identity.
5. Any ability to communicate with others.

All of that equates to "nothing".

So if something survived my physical death it would appear to have no value.

If it was material. Obviously in order for there to be an afterlife, there must be an existence of something that transcends the material we are made of, that we posess.

If it was material. Obviously in order for there to be an afterlife, there must be an existence of something that transcends the material we are made of, that we posess.

If I knew I'd tell you. Why worry about it?

I've used the word 'imagination' a couple of times in the course of this thread and if anything I've tried to show that's all it takes.

I think that once you start wondering about a life after this one then you can get really messed up by adding other factors like gods, heavens and other assorted nonsensical imaginative ideas.

Psycho,

The problem I see is "what would I be?"

Without a living brain I would not have -

1. Any memory.
2. Any ability to think.
3. Any ability to experience emotions.
4. Any identity.
5. Any ability to communicate with others.

All of that equates to "nothing".

So if something survived my physical death it would appear to have no value.

I agree and for me, like you, it is very easy to come to this conclusion. Like I told Norsefire, I'm letting my imagination do the talking.

I'm going to hate myself for going somewhat off topic here because I'm having fun with this. However I cannot deny that life, the process by which matter becomes animated and is then endowed with many wonderful things, goes on whether I'm here or not. What I mean by that is life doesn't die in a sense that it just disappears forever, at least to my knowledge. Perhaps it can and will some day. I'm imagining life as some kind of field that encompasses the entire width and breadth of the universe or even multiverses. You just can't cut it off and get rid of it because like energy it can't be destroyed. A life field, virtually undetectable, waiting to manifest itself as a life form somewhere. Ok I've gone as far off topic as I wish, Sorry.

Because I don't want to die.

However your life field idea is very possible.

I don't either but I also realize it can't consume my life, make me something I'm not. I have a brain and I use it for other things. Of course I have an imagination like anyone else and it is fun to use with an occasional good practical idea coming from it.

My Life Field hypothesis is purely imaginative, I can't prove it, endorse it, live by it or, and this is most important, have faith in it. But who knows, on some other world that might be the religion of choice.

Norsefire,

Not necessarily; it's very possible we have a soul.
How do you quantify this possibility? What do we have that points to something immaterial being able to exist?

Norse,

Yes OK, and my point is still that even if this immaterial thing exists what nature could it have when all the material components that make us who we are no longer exist?

And those questions are what? And why serious?
basically "what is it exactly abou the presence of god that makes the notion of an after life reprehensible"?

You make it sound like it totally couldn't happen. It's no more unrealistic than believing God's waiting for you.
what is it specifically about the presence of god that makes it more unrealistic?

In fact it's a less complicated afterlife which should promote a less complicated Earthbound existence, Fewer worries, less time wasted,
not sure how god is conmplicating all these bureaucratic issues of the next life

less reliance on imaginary gods....
even a real god enables less reliance on imaginary ones
:eek:

it's a more purer existence, an honest human existence where we get to behave like we should be behaving with the intelligence we were born with.
human intelligence ... purer, honest existence?
I guess those parts of the world that aren't abounding with these intrinsic qualities can blame it all on god too, eh?

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
to me this raises serioous questions about why one would insist on a life after death without god

basically "what is it exactly abou the presence of god that makes the notion of an after life reprehensible"?

I don't have to die to find the notion of God reprehensible, this life will do. The idea of God, and thanks for reminding everyone that that's all it is, has been hammered to death in this forum. Need I go on?

what is it specifically about the presence of god that makes it more unrealistic?

God is noticeably absent here, so we shouldn't expect a god in the afterlife.

not sure how god is conmplicating all these bureaucratic issues of the next life

It's not God that's complicating things LG.

even a real god enables less reliance on imaginary ones

After the countless religions man has concocted since he could concoct, you're absolutely certain that yours is not imaginary? Even that takes some imagination.

human intelligence ... purer, honest existence?
I guess those parts of the world that aren't abounding with these intrinsic qualities can blame it all on god too, eh?

I don't blame God for one damn thing.

I didn't find those questions serious at all. Even an atheist can't rule God out completely but I don't think you personally can rule out any life where no God exists even though there is a chance, albeit slight by your standards.

The same chance should be given for the notion that there is an afterlife sans God. You should start preparing for that possibility. Where are we at: no afterlife & oblivion, afterlife with a god(s), afterlife with no God. The most serious question is why do believers find an afterlife with no god reprehensible?

The fact is you do not have a clue. Oh sure, you have your texts. Sacred as they may be, they are toothless against this one line....we simply do not know with absolute certainty.

I have not read a single book on an afterlife without God yet it is just as reasonable to assume that is the case as to the volumes of text written to support your religion's ideas. IOW it is a waste of time and effort to worry about it or convince others. It snowballs into a lot of worthless drivel which you are an expert on. Sorry but religious philosophy is a gigantic wasted endeavor and I sincerely hope that if there is an afterlife, that you cease this nonsense and do something worthwhile on the next plane.

Last edited:
Psychotic episode

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic
to me this raises serioous questions about why one would insist on a life after death without god ”

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic
basically "what is it exactly abou the presence of god that makes the notion of an after life reprehensible"? ”

I don't have to die to find the notion of God reprehensible, this life will do. The idea of God, and thanks for reminding everyone that that's all it is, has been hammered to death in this forum. Need I go on?
I wasn't aware that the arguments against god had drawn such a unanimous conclusion

“ what is it specifically about the presence of god that makes it more unrealistic? ”

God is noticeably absent here, so we shouldn't expect a god in the afterlife.
up until quite recently atoms were noticeably absent also

“ not sure how god is conmplicating all these bureaucratic issues of the next life ”

It's not God that's complicating things LG.
really?

“ even a real god enables less reliance on imaginary ones ”

After the countless religions man has concocted since he could concoct, you're absolutely certain that yours is not imaginary? Even that takes some imagination.
countless concocted religions?
sure you're not just imagining that?

“ human intelligence ... purer, honest existence?
I guess those parts of the world that aren't abounding with these intrinsic qualities can blame it all on god too, eh? ”

I don't blame God for one damn thing.
must be the pure, honest intelligent humans then, eh?
:p

I didn't find those questions serious at all. Even an atheist can't rule God out completely but I don't think you personally can rule out any life where no God exists even though there is a chance, albeit slight by your standards.

The same chance should be given for the notion that there is an afterlife sans God. You should start preparing for that possibility.
how do you propose that one prepares for it?

Where are we at: no afterlife & oblivion, afterlife with a god(s), afterlife with no God. The most serious question is why do believers find an afterlife with no god reprehensible?
try and talk about the third (or even the first) option philosophically and see how far you get

The fact is you do not have a clue.
I'm not sure how you arrived at that "fact"

Oh sure, you have your texts. Sacred as they may be, they are toothless against this one line....we simply do not know with absolute certainty.
that's your party line because you've never bothered to apply the texts

I have not read a single book on an afterlife without God yet it is just as reasonable to assume that is the case as to the volumes of text written to support your religion's ideas.
a brief examination of philsophy and its history tends to indicate otherwise

IOW it is a waste of time and effort to worry about it or convince others.
sure
I mean the real value lies in convincing others that there is nothing but oblivion after death

:rolleyes:

It snowballs into a lot of worthless drivel which you are an expert on. Sorry but religious philosophy is a gigantic wasted endeavor
funny how you meander from confessing that there is no absolute certainty and then come out with these wonders of logic ....

and I sincerely hope that if there is an afterlife, that you cease this nonsense and do something worthwhile on the next plane.
your sincerity is duly noted
:D

your sincerity is duly noted:D

I only have your well-being in mind.:D

Life after death without a god is just as viable an alternative as one with. You're living in that plane right now, all you need do is accept it. Give up all that you know about whatever god fearing religion you believe in because life is passing you by. You are only interesting to others who can't grasp the no god concept. No amount of books written by humans is enough to go on.

Back