Is it wrong to kill an animal?

It was swimming in my head...

The fact is that if every human on earth were a vegetarian, we'd all be dead because there is hardly enought plant matter to sustain every human... Meat is like a condensed, refined version of plant matter. Its made so we can function at a better level....

Remember SeaQuest? All beef was outlawed due to the high CH4 production of cows. One of the characters secretly grilled a burger in his cabin...

Originally posted by Tristan
It was swimming in my head...

The fact is that if every human on earth were a vegetarian, we'd all be dead because there is hardly enought plant matter to sustain every human... Meat is like a condensed, refined version of plant matter. Its made so we can function at a better level....

Remember SeaQuest? All beef was outlawed due to the high CH4 production of cows. One of the characters secretly grilled a burger in his cabin...

I've actually heard something very opposite but i can't source that, something i learnt in geography i think...

I hear that the the plants used to feed cattle throughout their lives would provide more food for more people than the final produce of beef.

I'm sure I'll be able to find some sort of source.. and if i do, I'll post it up.

Average idiot philosophy "I can drive a car, I can shoot a gun I can buy beer... I'm the king of the beasts!!!" Like i said, there is something unsettling about people having access to guns when they didn't invent or make them it just makes everything so unfair and we are the most cowardly creatures on the planet.

I always believe the Samurai to be very honorable because they never had to just point and shoot. I want a Katana....But back to the subject...Animals....

brocolli's right to life

so, if you think that killing a living creature in any circumstance is wrong, i would take it that you think that all life is equally valid or important. now of course i'm wondering what "all life" means. I'm betting a shinny penny that when push comes to shove it really just means some animals.

obsiously this does not include plants. as vegitarians eat them all the time. what's the diff? if it's capacity to suffer then we can kill animals with out suffering. so then what's the diff between i very stout piece of brocoli and a shrimp or something? why is killing an animal more wrong than those poor defenseless plants.

Re: brocolli's right to life

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
so, if you think that killing a living creature in any circumstance is wrong, i would take it that you think that all life is equally valid or important. now of course i'm wondering what "all life" means. I'm betting a shinny penny that when push comes to shove it really just means some animals.

obsiously this does not include plants. as vegitarians eat them all the time. what's the diff? if it's capacity to suffer then we can kill animals with out suffering. so then what's the diff between i very stout piece of brocoli and a shrimp or something? why is killing an animal more wrong than those poor defenseless plants.

This is a toughie coz ppl can go on and on about how a plant is no different to an animal.

But I think that plants are different to animals. I don't believe that plants suffer such a thing as pain, I don't think plant even think.

You could say, 'How do you know?'

Well, does it look like plants think? I'm not a pro botanist but I've been led to believe that plants act on sensory reflexes more than anything. If you were to chop a branch off a tree, the tree doesn't wail or pull away in pain... it just starts growing from the stump again.

To tell you the truth, I am not even convinced that what I've just said is even accurate, and I'm willing to discuss it further, but perhaps in another thread, one specific to plants, this is about animals.

Dudeyhead:
Simple. You claim it's immoral, I ask if you can prove that it's immoral.

Show me evidence, or I'm going to have that italian sausage in my 'fridge. I'm feeling all bulemic.

How could you find evidence that anything is immoral? You couldn't, as far as we know it is just as morally sound to eat a mars bar as it is to eat a new born baby alive.

ok... so u can't proove it but i thought that I'd already posted some pretty decent arguments/rebuttals....
have u read all the post in this thread?

ok... so u can't proove it but i thought that I'd already posted some pretty decent arguments/rebuttals....

Your arguments are "how would you feel if you were butchered and made into steak?". That's stupid.

IMO it is wrong to torture an animal. That is why I oppose vivisection and religious ritual torture of animals. But to kill it? Why not. Animals also kill other animals. And man is just an other animal in the food chain, so why would he act differently by defending him self or in his search for proteins?

I'm a hunter and injoy the same feeling like our pre- human ancestors. Its not the killing that thrills me but hunting efforts, sometimes danger and above all the most tasteful and healthy flesh there is- the flash of the wild animal.
I'm also a preservationist so I don't kill rare species.

Your arguments are "how would you feel if you were butchered and made into steak?". That's stupid.

No they're not. My arguments have mainly been based on the fact that humans have advanced brains and cognition and should be using them.

And what's so stupid about 'how would you feel if you were butchered and made into steak'?

And why did u call me Mr.Fish before?

------------------------
Weiser_Dub, great site:D

------------------------
IMO it is wrong to torture an animal. That is why I oppose vivisection and religious ritual torture of animals. But to kill it? Why not. Animals also kill other animals. And man is just an other animal in the food chain, so why would he act differently by defending him self or in his search for proteins?

I'm a hunter and injoy the same feeling like our pre- human ancestors. Its not the killing that thrills me but hunting efforts, sometimes danger and above all the most tasteful and healthy flesh there is- the flash of the wild animal.
I'm also a preservationist so I don't kill rare species.

Do you think that hunting an animals isn't torture? And opposing vivisection and then stating that you are a hunter has got to be one of the most insane things I've ever seen! At least vivisection has a possibility of leading to some sort of societal gain. Hunting just ends up in death and the hunter increasing his/her ego.
I don't know of much religious ritual torture happening these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did still happen.

It's already been stated that humans cannot be classified as a normal animal. We are smarter than them, so don't compare us to animals. I've said it already but I'll say it again, animals kill other animals for food because they can't comprehend an alternative. Humans can. And on top of that, we are totally capable of going through with it.

I'm also a preservationist so I don't kill rare species
*Clap*.

I personally wouldn't hunt because I'm not a primitive wild man or starving, but I agree hunting isn't torture or any where near as bad as torture.
Societal gain? Please:rolleyes: I can't think of a less important cause.

Originally posted by Dr Lou Natic
I personally wouldn't hunt because I'm not a primitive wild man or starving, but I agree hunting isn't torture or any where near as bad as torture.

I don't know a great deal about hunting besides the fact that the aim is to kill, but does an animal know that its being hunted?
If it does, then woulnd't that be psychological torture?

Societal gain? Please:rolleyes: I can't think of a less important cause.

Would you rather see an animal die because someone is bored or because its death could mean hundred of people can be saved? I still don't, and never will aprove of vivisection.

We'll after you mentioned all that long term stuff, I've really been thinking about it. What exactly do you mean when you say you can't think of a less important cause?

I've said it before but I'll put it to you like this:
Hundreds of people get saved- millions more animals get killed than if they weren't saved.
Fairly obvious.
I don't know why everyone thinks they want to cure diseases, stop war and put an end to world hunger, how many people have to be on this planet before you notice how overpopulated it is?
Forget important, societal gain is a very bad thing.

Back