Is it right to discriminate against tobacco smokers

How do you feel about the status of smokers?

• They are harmless. Leave them alone.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • They need aggressive encouragement to break their addiction.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • We need secondclass citizens to stigmatize. Screw 'em.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I'm a smoker.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
StrangerInAStrangeLa, the world does spin around your sun. There are other people who deserve just as much consideration as you do. Don't be so selfish.

Last edited:
It doesn't produce smoke, but it does produce vaporized nicotine, which means that it makes invisible second-hand "smoking", and so is almost as dangerous as real smoke.

The dangers of smoke inhalation are from partially combusted organic materials, not the nicotine.

What amazes me most is that anti-smokers are quite happily inhaling exhaust fumes and think nothing of it.

There are pretty stringent controls on the emissions from a car, and cars get better complete combustion than cigs. Gas also contains many, many fewer dangerous inorganics, such as heavy metals.

There are pretty stringent controls on the emissions from a car, and cars get better complete combustion than cigs. Gas also contains many, many fewer dangerous inorganics, such as heavy metals.

Roman, car exhaust will kill you quicker than would a lifetime of smoking.

Wow, another dodge... colour me shocked. *turns an interesting shade of violet*

I'm not surprised you didn't respond in the other thread either.

Let us know when you can back up anything you say about secondhand smoke with any facts or info. Right now, all you are doing is parroting bullshit opinion and myths yourself, and you are wasting everyone's time. Repeating ignorant dogma over and over doesn't make it truth. Perhaps you can learn that from Baron Max... he seems to be baby steps ahead of you in that regard.

I smoked for years, and I quit when I decided to have kids. I have nothing against smokers at all, but saying that it doesn't harm people who don't smoke to breathe in your carbon monoxide and other harmful chemicals is really just plain stupid.

My biggest complaint with cigarettes is that on my pack there's a warning that claims smokers die younger.
It doesn't matter how many I smoke, I'm still getting older.
I'm gonna complain to advertising standards..

Wow, another dodge... colour me shocked. *turns an interesting shade of violet*

I'm not surprised you didn't respond in the other thread either.

Let us know when you can back up anything you say about secondhand smoke with any facts or info. Right now, all you are doing is parroting bullshit opinion and myths yourself, and you are wasting everyone's time. Repeating ignorant dogma over and over doesn't make it truth. Perhaps you can learn that from Baron Max... he seems to be baby steps ahead of you in that regard.

I smoked for years, and I quit when I decided to have kids. I have nothing against smokers at all, but saying that it doesn't harm people who don't smoke to breathe in your carbon monoxide and other harmful chemicals is really just plain stupid.

Whatever... You believe what you choose to believe.

You surprised me. Just a bit. I will admit.

That wouldn't work, the tobacco companies would call in all their favours and even then, people would smuggle it around.

Same reason why a global ban on drugs doesn't work.
You're probably right. But what it will accomplish is that far fewer people will smoke. And that it will be the norm, much more so than now, to not smoke.

Governments may accomplish just that through excessive taxation:

Revenues Down Again - http://www.heartland.org viewed 04/05/09 at 11:03 AM EST (citation formatted to keep T happy :rolleyes:)

Conversely, this taxation policy can produce some bizarre implications:

22 Million New Smokers Needed:
- www.heritage.org - viewed 04/05/09 at 11:03 AM EST

[Emphasis mine]

Interesting that governmental policy has managed to create this "unintended consequence": It requires more people to smoke or it fails to generate necessary revenue for health care - i.e. more people will be healthier because they stop smoking because the government tried to pay for health care by taxing the shit out of smokers which causes them to quit smoking and become healthier which reduces the revenue needed to fund medical care to make people healthier... ad infinitum. (I think I managed to lose my own train of thought contemplating this one :p)
I feel that the current way they tax tobacco is just for fattening up the treasury. I don't think it's mainly intended to get smokers to quit at all.
If they want smokers to quit they should raise the taxes on tobacco significantly, not by a few cents each time.

I didn't say it killed you, but it's very uncomfortable, and i hate inhaling exhaust fumes as well, exhaust makes it difficult to breathe, but it doesn't cause me to break into coughing fits, and maybe you like coughing, but I find it really uncomfortable. I can hold my breath when I pass all the people smoking in the courtyard so I don't mind that they smoke, but if I'm in a restaurant or office building I can only hold my breath for so long. The may only bother me because I have developed a conditioned response to cough when I smell it. I guess this is one prejudice I have very little sympathy for.
A lot of things are uncomfortable to different people, but that doesn't mean they should be banned.
Also, what's wrong with designated smokers areas in restaurants ?

You may be right, but I would bet a good sum of money that exhaust fumes are not exactly good for you (understatement).

If I pee in a cup or pee in a stream.. there is still the same amount of piss :rolleyes:

hmm... what does this do??

e0c9db351f.jpg

Back