Is it right to discriminate against tobacco smokers

How do you feel about the status of smokers?

• They are harmless. Leave them alone.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • They need aggressive encouragement to break their addiction.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • We need secondclass citizens to stigmatize. Screw 'em.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I'm a smoker.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Is it right to discriminate against tobacco smokers?
The short answer is yes, of course it's alright.

I finished my beer in my car on the way there. I think the point here is that the situation is becoming silly. Smoking outside is now becoming a crime--all because of a little smoke.

It's still fine here with no talk of change and I don't know any non-smokers who have a problem with smokers being outside in public. :shrug:
Let's face it I dont think they could reasonably pass a law making it illegal when you're in the open(and the OP isn't even suggesting such a thing) few would support it and there's a lot of votes to lose over it. Political suicide but there's always a crackpot. Requiring a doctors note wouldn't pass either, not for buying ciggys, but maybe(just maybe) it was more about supervising and helping those trying to quit?
Let's not go overboard with discrimination cries though or everyone else could have a case about something.

Of course the nanny state doesn't want you to do anything that may harm yourself because that's what nannys are for, and tax on luxuries is always increasing; hell they still consider cars to be luxuries but a high number of people couldn't work without one.
Politicians are always out of touch with the lower classes and tend only towards making rules where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and guess which bracket the politicians almost always fall into. :rolleyes:

They might not whine, because they need the money. Those of us on the outside however, can support legislation to bring their working conditions in line with what we enjoy ourselves.

Like I said, not supporting their right to work in a smoke free environment is a slippery slope towards suspension of ALL health and sfatey in the workplace. Next, people like Baron Max will be saying miners shouldn't expect to survive whilst digging coal, ... and we slip further from civilisation.

I am supporting their right to smoke free work environment, only they themselves don't seem to.
Why would one apply for a job, such as barman, if you can't stand cigarette smoke ? I think such a person must have a loose screw or two.. and then they even have the nerve to complain about it !
There are plenty of other jobs that are smoke free.

I am supporting their right to smoke free work environment, only they themselves don't seem to.
Why would one apply for a job, such as barman, if you can't stand cigarette smoke ? I think such a person must have a loose screw or two.. and then they even have the nerve to complain about it !
There are plenty of other jobs that are smoke free.

Exactly.

Politicians are always out of touch with the lower classes and tend only towards making rules where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and guess which bracket the politicians almost always fall into. :rolleyes:

Very well said. Thank you.

Very well said. Thank you.

No problem, I'm very liberal and very anti-politicians and like I said, there's no way they'd pass any law like you've mentioned. Look what happened with prohibition! I think they should legalise more drugs, if people want to slowly kill themselves on crack or something else then go for it, I only think a persons rights end where they may infringe on others.

Is it right to discriminate against non-smokers ?

Non-smokers don't pollute a restaurant when you are trying to have a nice meal that you are paying good money for.

Non-smokers don't taste like tar when you kiss them. :p

Non-smokers don't turn the ceiling tiles yellow.

Non-smokers don't expose babies to harmful second hand smoke.

Shall I go on?

Non-smokers don't pollute a restaurant when you are trying to have a nice meal that you are paying good money for.

Shall I go on?

There are plenty of smoke free restaurants, and even the ones that allow smoking usually have a smokers section.

Don't kiss smokers if you don't like it :shrug:

You are free to forbid smoking in your own house. If it's your husband that's smoking, you obviously accepted the fact that he smokes.

A sensible smoker doesn't expose babies to tobacco smoke either. Should I list all the other harmful things babies get exposed to by non-smoking parents ?

Is it right to discriminate against non-smokers ?

Yes, of course.

Shall I go on?

I'm still not letting you join our smokers' club.

I'm still not letting you join our smokers' club.

Awwww come onnnnnnn...I'll let you join the Hostile Housewives Club :p

I was married to a smoker for many yrs and honestly it didn't bother me that much. He used to go outside and smoke too, never in the house.

But now that I am with a non smoker, I prefer it. It wouldn't have been mandatory like some non-smokers refuse to be with a smoker. But it is nice not to feel like you are kissing an ashtray. :) I also don't miss the expense of those cartons of cigarettes.

Awwww come onnnnnnn...I'll let you join the Hostile Housewives Club :p

I was married to a smoker for many yrs and honestly it didn't bother me that much. He used to go outside and smoke too, never in the house.

But now that I am with a non smoker, I prefer it. It wouldn't have been mandatory like some non-smokers refuse to be with a smoker. But it is nice not to feel like you are kissing an ashtray. I also don't miss the expense of those cartons of cigarettes.

Hey.. what about my reply ? :(

Roman is a hostile housewife ?? :eek:

Back