Influencing children to become heterosexual

Should parents ever try to infulence their children to become heterosexual?

• YES

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • NO

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
Education to me is giving your children the tools to build their happiness, and passing on your values. Sexuality is an important part of both those things, and I would certainly want my children to have a healthy sexuality.

I just realized a problem with this poll... not sure if anyone else noticed. This poll doesn't address the fact if the child is homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual. Either case, I would still answer "no," as I did.

Absane said:
I just realized a problem with this poll... not sure if anyone else noticed. This poll doesn't address the fact if the child is homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual. Either case, I would still answer "no," as I did.
The question is, how would you try to influence a childs sexuality from birth?

The question is, how would you try to influence a childs sexuality from birth?

Good luck to you if you want to try to alter a young person's sexual preferences. I don't think it can be done.

James R said:
Good luck to you if you want to try to alter a young person's sexual preferences. I don't think it can be done.

show 'em a nude picture of angelina jolie then see if they can be gay after that :)

I've gotta be honest, I think it is the parent's job to shape their children. This means that if the child is exposed to something, no matter what, it is the parent's fault for not stepping in and putting their foot down, and if they don't catch it then they're not paying enough attention to their kid. I don't believe homosexuality is a disease, or a mental disability, or a chemical imbalance, I believe it is a life choice. If a parent can't handle their kid making they own decisions in life, then they shouldnt have raised kids in the first place and/or should have maybe taken a stronger roll in shaping their kids.

I don't believe homosexuality is a disease, or a mental disability, or a chemical imbalance, I believe it is a life choice.

Do you believe heterosexuality is a life choice, too?

Were you ever in danger of becoming homosexual? Do you think anything would "convert" you? Could somebody convince you to "turn gay", do you think?

I agree (reading only the second page thus far) James. It must be stupid to convince a child to be gay
IMO

D'ster said:
I have a boy 9 years old and when the issue of sex comes up I do my best to explain to him in a positive manner about the good and bad of a sexual relationship between a man and a women.
But I would never speak with him in a positive manner to consider the option of having a sexual relationship with a man as a equal alternative.
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I couldn't let this pass.

1. Your premises are flawed. You cannot influence someone to become heterosexual or homosexual. The tendency to be gay is innate and not influenced by society or culture.
2. All that attempts to influence sexual orientation can do is to suppress or reinforce such innate tendencies.
3. If the former, suppression, then all you are doing is creating a hostile environment in which the child will find it more difficult to become a mature, fulfilled adult.
4. I can see you are going to have major problems if your boy turns out to be gay. However these problems will pale into insignifcance beside his: a gay who knows his father sees gays as some kind of abomination. Good luck with that.

JoojooSpaceape said:
I've gotta be honest, I think it is the parent's job to shape their children. This means that if the child is exposed to something, no matter what, it is the parent's fault for not stepping in and putting their foot down, and if they don't catch it then they're not paying enough attention to their kid. I don't believe homosexuality is a disease, or a mental disability, or a chemical imbalance, I believe it is a life choice. If a parent can't handle their kid making they own decisions in life, then they shouldnt have raised kids in the first place and/or should have maybe taken a stronger roll in shaping their kids.

WELL SAID....

-MT

JoojooSpaceape said:

If parents could shape their children, all siblings would be alike; the maximum that parents can do is demonstrate their values and mores; it is upto the children to decide whether they reflect their own. As for sexuality, the only way parents contribute is in the attitude towards it; people have repressed sexual feelings or consider sex as "dirty" or "wrong", if their parents have such attitudes or inculcate such attitudes towards sex; also works for healthy attitudes- all this does is define the expression of that child's sexuality in public; it cannot dictate his sexual preference, but it can define his attitude towards it.

Parents who try to shape their children's sexuality generally seem to be far too interested in their children's sex lives. I wonder what causes that interest? Maybe simple jealousy?

Think of it this way: Sit on your smoke break or whenever and listen to a guy talk about what he's going to do about his daughter's boyfriends, discuss what kind of underwear she's allowed, and then realize that the child is still four months from reaching the world. That's twelve, fourteen years of child-panty obsession the poor guy is facing.

tiassa said:
Parents who try to shape their children's sexuality generally seem to be far too interested in their children's sex lives. I wonder what causes that interest? Maybe simple jealousy?

Think of it this way: Sit on your smoke break or whenever and listen to a guy talk about what he's going to do about his daughter's boyfriends, discuss what kind of underwear she's allowed, and then realize that the child is still four months from reaching the world. That's twelve, fourteen years of child-panty obsession the poor guy is facing.

eeew!!

If no one objects to parents being able to inculcate their children (tabula rasa) with their own arbitrary moralities, then it follows ipso facto that there is similarly 'nothing wrong' with them "influencing (or trying to influence) their children to become homosexual/heterosexual" if they also feel that is 'right'.

Can't have a double standard.

Even after someone compleatly tried to change the question, the poll numbers speak for themselfs.

Change:
Influencing children to become heterosexual

Old Question:
Do you think it is OK for parents to try to Influence their children to become heterosexual?

Big difference

tiassa said:

Tell us more of your own world.

Back