In regards to atheism.

There is a movie being promoted on TV titled the young pope.
I would like to see it as so far it seems one will get to see something about the church, the dress seems interesting.
You mean this TV series? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Pope
Meant to be quite good, although haven't watched it myself. Can't say how accurate it is, but I'd think it unlikely to be so.

Another matter for a thread would be their beliefs and practice relating to saints.
Build it, and they shall come! ;)

Didn't the Catholic church have a thing going where you could pay some money to the church and that saved you from going to hell.

Yes

The LAW calls such practices scams

Now they sell holy water in thimble size bottles

Same scam except for the shoelaces

:)

You mean this TV series?
That's it.
Shows how effective the add was on me I thought it was a movie er cinema.
The wiki coverage was interesting ... Notice who is involved in the music?
Bob Dylan but also Jimmy Hendrix.

Its seems a decent production I hope they have some internals of the vatican.

Thanks

Alex

Now they sell holy water in thimble size bottles
Where and how much.
I want a six pack.
I would love to see the look on someone's face when I take it out and praise its benefits, with a straight face.
Damn it I will make up a few of my own except I will call mine fire water out of respect for the other place where the politicians end up.

Alex

Why don't you question Alex on why God isn't? Or ask yourself. I bet your position is not different to Alex's.
My position is that I grew out of belief in gods in the same way that children grow out of belief in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The only reason it takes longer to grow out of belief in gods is that it's still socially acceptable for adults to believe in gods.

Alex is welcome to agree or disagree.

My position is that I grew out of belief in gods in the same way that children grow out of belief in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The only reason it takes longer to grow out of belief in gods is that it's still socially acceptable for adults to believe in gods.

Alex is welcome to agree or disagree.

I understand that.
How could you have believed in something that doesn't exist as far as you're aware.
You lend support to the original meaning of the term 'atheist.

Of course you can protest all you like, with your there's no evidence for God, and you'd be right, but only from your own perspective.

Before you go down the "God Is only subjective", let me remind you that every perspective is subjective.

You said you grew out of belief in God (which corresponds with something I said earlier), and as such, come into this discussion with that as your foundation (presupposition) . This is what Alex does, which is why it is easy to talk to him.

Now notice you somehow feel that you don't have to explain your position, the way you expect me to do mine. You think that you are in a rational position, "I can't see God, therefore God does not exist, to me", so it is up to the theist to explain his position, and if he can't show me God, my position is the correct one. If I am to explain mine you are to explain yours as well.

As normal as it is for you to conclude that there is no evidence for God, it is the same for me with regards God Is. . So although you don't like my answer, they are as correct for me, as yours are for you.

Jan.

Jan, should we believe that you see/experience/know god?

If so, should we then believe anything anyone says? And a follow up, wouldn't that spread all kinds of false beliefs? Because people believe things that are false/non-existent all the time.

It is Easter and this morning I saw a rabbit. (A surprise as I thought they were all dead around here).

In the area I found what looked like little eggs of chocolate.

But I don't think it was the easter bunny or those eggs were really chocolate.

I vaguely recall Sir Bertram Russell addressing if Santa Clause was real in his excellent book "History of Western Philosophy".

My memory denies me the detail but he covered the idea that reality was subjective and we could therefore consider Santa Clause real.

It would seem that god enjoys a reality similar to Santa Clause in so far as if people are able to form a " mind picture" or imagine god then from this approach god can be considered real... And of course it is subjective how else can we view the world.

And so at Christmas we put out stockings so Santa Clause can place gifts in them..Such practice makes Santa Clause more "real" even though it is a daddy or mommy putting those gifts in the stocking, even the daddy or mommy some how hold a mind eye picture of Santa Clause putting the gifts in the stocking.

Yet everyone but the infants will acknowledge Santa does not exist.

I try and apply a similar approach when I attempt to understand religion.

Is god real because he,she or it can be seen in the minds eye of the members of the religion but to a greater or lesser degree members may vary on opinion as to gods existence.

Is the construction of churches similar to the hanging of stockings where the Mommies and daddies are replaced by priests and nuns to add to the reality almost transforming reality to mean existence?

I think for a pragmatist, my classification of myself, I have come further than I deem rational however as an atheist I have a need to somehow rationalise what I see as massive con.

I can't get past that god is promoted to exist it just seems somehow wrong.

I see a parallel between the reality of god and the reality of Santa clause just as I see a parallel between the two as to existence...neither exist.

I think I could say god is real but does not exist in the same way I could say Santa Clause is real but does not exist.

The rabbit I saw certainly did exist but was not the real easter bunny who although also real does not exist.

So we can extend what is real to add anything that can be imagined and ignore the likely hood of its existence.

Unicorns are real...who would have thought that.

Alex

Last edited:
Of course you can protest all you like, with your there's no evidence for God, and you'd be right, but only from your own perspective.
No. You established that you are referring to God's objective existence. Perspective is irrelevant.

Before you go down the "God Is only subjective", let me remind you that every perspective is subjective.
No. You established that you are referring to God's objective existence.

As normal as it is for you to conclude that there is no evidence for God, it is the same for me with regards God Is. . So although you don't like my answer, they are as correct for me, as yours are for you.
Jan.
No. You established that you are referring to God's objective existence.

Back