If you don't believe in evolution, you also can't believe in...

wesmorris said:
As a member of islam, how can you say that? You've spent this entire thread arguing that you think evolution is dumb, giving a ton of evidence as you see it. Are you arguing now that you are not a creationist? Creationists as I understand it, know exactly where they came from.... god or allah.. right? If you claimed you didn't know where you came from, you're surely a liar if you claim to be islamic no? Well, it's that I have no clue how you can claim that you are an islamic creationist and simulataneously claim you don't know where you came from.

First, I'm not a member to anything. Memebership implies an exclusive doctrination, something I'm not part of. God and Allah is a word that we use to describe the word creator...one is German and the other is arabic. There is no myth is the words allah or god, just a language barrier that is prohibiting you from understanding this simple thing.

Second, you must make the distinction that while I know that I indeed exist and was created, I don't know how the creator have fashioned me, nor do I know the detail of what came first the egg or the chicken. I may have been created from one cell, a drop of semen, mud and water, ect....I'd rather not commit myself by theories to something that is so well defined, because that in my view is lying.

wesmorris said:
But you just said you don't know where you came from, then claimed you know it's god. You don't see hypocracy there? How is that humble?

Again, you miss the fine distinction here due to either my lack of ability to articulate or preconcieved ideas in your head that is baricading my information. God is a creator, he's not a male, female, a man with a beard striking thunder bolts, ect... I know that I was created, yet I don't know HOW I was created. It could be by some sort of evolution, but I can't commit to such a defined concept, because I simply don't know. I think it's more humble to claim that you don't know than it is to swear that Evolution holds all the answers.

wesmorris said:
You don't see the hypocracy there eh?

You don't claim to know how we were created, but you [/i]know[/i] god created us? Why one and not the other?

There is no hypocracy here at all. It's very simple, theists acknowledge the fact that they exist, but rather are not too consumed with the detail of how they came to existance. Theists are aware that these is a huge black box that holds the mystery of how we were created, yet we refer to that black box as the creator/god/Allah and don't see a great need to look through the box content in detail inorder to believe that we indeed exist. Hence the famous theistic phrase, god works in mysterious way. This phrase is a testimony that we don't know how things work out. It's a humble accurate statement.

You don't see the hypocracy there eh?
It's not hypocracy. Usually hypocrisy is used to represent a duplicity in a person. Someone who truly believes, no matter how irrational, is not hypocritical but irrational.

You don't claim to know how we were created, but you [/i]know[/i] god created us? Why one and not the other?
Faith. But there's no physical evidence to say that God did not create us, even through evolution.

I agree with Wes on this last bit, and I would also ask that you be specific over who the "we" refers to. I most certainly cannot be included in that. You might by faith, (ergo; complete lack of evidence or worth), conclude that you were created, but don't think that baseless belief sits in all of us.

I can't understand some people, denying evolution which is so readily apparent all around us, and yet prefer to hinge to the idea that something they don't know made us as we are. It's... plainly ludicrous.

SnakeLord said:
and yet prefer to hinge to the idea that something they don't know made us as we are. It's... plainly ludicrous.

Both of us don't know what made us....only you are working off assumptions and conjectures, which might very well be not true. It's clear to me that theists holds the primitive basic simple answers to the problem, while you hold on to complexities, inconsistencies, assumptions. I would say that you are the ludicrous soul who insist on shoving your complexities down our throats.

SnakeLord said:
Your grasp at innocence is charming to say the least, but you're not fooling anyone. Go back and read everything you've written in this thread. It shows a lot more than what you state above.

Oh my god, I mean "oh my creator". Did I just wittness the softer side of Snake? How charming?? This is one of those examples, where mutation have resulted in a benefit. Keep going Snake and you might just make an evolutionist out of me.

SnakeLord said:
Actually white people do have 'freckles', or 'lentigines' and such remains of darker pigment. This helps to show us white folk have an ancestry from darker skinned individuals. I see you agree with this Flores with your statements earlier. However, is this not evolution?

I told you before that I'm having a hard time with the definition of the word evolution. Is evolution a word that you use to describe variation or change? Believe it or not, there is a difference between both terms and both require a datum or guage to measure the change from. Thus, I kindly request that you define your datum from which you measure variation or change.

Flores said:
There is no hypocracy here at all. It's very simple, theists acknowledge the fact that they exist, but rather are not too consumed with the detail of how they came to existance.

Nice and all, but wholly irrelevant. I exist, I'm not a theist. I'm not all that concerned about how I came to be either. Being a theist has noting to do with that. Being a theist is "Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world." I'd say that's a pretty specific believe of how we are created.

Theists are aware that these is a huge black box that holds the mystery of how we were created, yet we refer to that black box as the creator/god/Allah and don't see a great need to look through the box content in detail inorder to believe that we indeed exist.

You are getting all existential on me babe. I'll just say: I don't need to do that either. As a matter of fact, I believe I exist because it is reasonable for me to do so. End of story. How is this relevant?

Oh, and now you're the spokewoman for all theists? PM left you as the spokewoman for islam and now you're upscaling to theists eh? Very bold. :)

Hence the famous theistic phrase, god works in mysterious way.

Yeah, I think that's obvious. Don't you have books that you claim tell you things about this "god" of yours, and you often tout information from those books as relevant?

This phrase is a testimony that we don't know how things work out. It's a humble accurate statement.

LOL. Evolution could be viewed as just as humble, depending on how you look at it. Acknowledgement that "things that don't die, live" and "stuff has a tendency to change over time" is pretty damned basic and humble IMO. That's basically how I see evolution.

Flores said:
I think it's more humble to claim that you don't know than it is to swear that Evolution holds all the answers.
Fine, you prefer "I do not know", above "This seems very likely".

Flores said:
The first creature gene, which is Adam or call him whatever you want, although, Adam, means walking on feet in Arabic, was a perfect stable, unmutated Gene. He was probably black, with much facial and body hair, more bones, more teath, perfect order protien cells, ect...He mated with his perfect partner, and produced many children. Some of the children were solid unmutated and others were slightly mutated exactly in accordance with the statistical laws of how genes should behave. And so on and so forth, the genes got diluted, but it took a very long time, because a perfect gene order takes forever to mutate.
Aside from the obvious contradiction in the last sentence of this quotation, how do you know this to be true? In the same category as to claim evolution to be not very humble, is this not also a theory which a honest and humble person as yourself can not accept to be absolute truth without a lot of convincing evidence?

mouse said:
Fine, you prefer "I do not know", above "This seems very likely".

Aside from the obvious contradiction in the last sentence of this quotation, how do you know this to be true? In the same category as to claim evolution to be not very humble, is this not also a theory which a honest and humble person as yourself can not accept to be absolute truth without a lot of convincing evidence?

I'm offering a personal explanation on a public board without patenting, claiming, theorizing, ect...If you can't tell the difference between individual human thinking and a disciplined cult called evolution, then you are missing a whole lot. If you had anytime to follow my posts in these forums, you'll find out that I'm the number one enemy of conformed conventional thinkers. If you support me right now, you'll find me to be the first person to oppose you.

wesmorris said:
Nice and all, but wholly irrelevant. I exist, I'm not a theist. I'm not all that concerned about how I came to be either. Being a theist has noting to do with that. Being a theist is "Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world." I'd say that's a pretty specific believe of how we are created.

How can that be specific Wes?

Do you call Newton's law of motion specific? Is E=mc2 a specific law, it's worth shit on it's own in application. Can you ever create anything worthwhile using a general law like the F=ma or E=mc2 type? Of course not, you need to get down to the nitty gritty detail, specifics, coefficients, ect...to study something specific, and while we all follow the general laws of physics in the larger sense, we don't know exactly how they apply to us until we fill the specifics.... yet all the details and specifics of this world would never make sense unless you plug it in the right general law.

Flores said:
I'm offering a personal explanation on a public board without patenting, claiming, theorizing, ect...
You are offering a personal explanation on sciforums without a solid base of evidence. You can expect to be questioned about this.

If you can't tell the difference between individual human thinking and a disciplined cult called evolution, then you are missing a whole lot.
I think I can, but I also think that any theory, may it be a personal explanation or a theory embraced by the scientific community, should be viewed with suspicion, until proven not wrong after sharp scrutiny and peer reviewing. Evolution e.g. has been very able to withstand the scrutiny and critics of many who set out to prove it wrong.

mouse said:
I think I can, but I also think that any theory, may it be a personal explanation or a theory embraced by the scientific community, should be viewed with suspicion, until proven not wrong after sharp scrutiny and peer reviewing. Evolution e.g. has been very able to withstand the scrutiny and critics of many who set out to prove it wrong.

Define evolution?

Acutally, forget it....No hope, you are all a bunch of hopeless herded goats.

And don't give me this scrutiny from peer review crap. By definition and training , a peer can't offer a different view. Perhaps it's about time to stop the scientific inbreeding and open up the cult and the discussion to people outside of the peer gang friends circle. You see, those peers keep talking about the same crap all day, that they start believing their own lies.

Both of us don't know what made us...

Sure, but how do you arrive at a "god" type being? Tell me Flores, under this circumstance, why would you deny aliens, fairies, bigfoot, or gases/chemicals? The difference is, that everything we have, we can see and test points in a specific direction, and yet many are more fond of an idea that includes some mystical being that at the same time, nobody can describe or understand. I am unwilling to claim the loch ness monster created all life because there is no precedent for it. The same goes with any kind of entity. I see no basis with which to trust the writings of ancient people anymore than I see a basis with which to trust the original writings of vampires, and can, in total honesty, see no place, need, or evidence to suggest there is some being behind everything.

On the other hand we have everything that we can see, feel, touch, hear, and test to give us answers. These answers are not just written in a book and accepted as truth - they are tested continually, and that is the core difference. One can be tested, one is complete and utter assumption based upon nothing except for lack of answer. In this instance, you can just say anything you want - life was created by a magical toad that rubbed two stones together which made a fully functional human being. No offence, but that is worthless. Here's another example: Mankind were created by the Dinogods. Eventually mankind turned round and killed off their dinogod creators, who's remains can now be found under tonnes of mud.

There might be a god, there might be a giant flying turnip who created the stars and the moon - but without one evidential reason to give worth to this, it is just a baseless assumption that has no weight in the world of truth.

only you are working off assumptions and conjectures, which might very well be not true.

I disagree. We look at the evidence and test what we have to work with. Surely that is the only way with which anyone can come up with answers? Oh, of course we can all jot down any little belief into a book, or come up with 50 billion alternatives - but without any evidence to suggest those alternative, they have no merit.

It's clear to me that theists holds the primitive basic simple answers to the problem

Primitive, yes. I understand fully why ancient people would come up with the beliefs they did, and I cannot fault them for that. I can however, find fault with modern day human doing exactly the same. The reason being that it isn't an answer - it can't be tested, it has no way of verifying as true, and really cannot be seen as anything other than "answer based on lack of knowledge". While some fight to find the answers, to accept when things are flawed or wrong, and realise that they don't know everything - others cling to a completely unsubstantial claim, believing that they have the entirety of planet earths history, hell the entire universes history- all figured out into one small paragraph. That most certainly is primitive.

while you hold on to complexities, inconsistencies, assumptions

Whether you like it or not, things are complex. A wave of a magic wand does not suffice - especially when everything around you suggests different. Of course we're dealing with times long past and as such inconsistencies are par for the course and are quickly eradicated, as are assumptions. Of course the religious assumption is time withstanding, because it is primitive, and suffices for those who don't have the time, energy, or understanding of how things actually work.

I would say that you are the ludicrous soul who insist on shoving your complexities down our throats.

I prefer the term 'person'. Furthermore, I do not insist on shoving anything down your throats, but in a discussion, I will discuss - just as you would. Complexity exists, that's the way it is.

A flower is not just a flower. It's not just a nice looking, nice smelling thing to provide comfort for humanity. There is a whole lot more there than just a flower. While the simple approach is to just appreciate the flower as a "miracle", science dissects the flower, studies it, learns about it.

I told you before that I'm having a hard time with the definition of the word evolution. Is evolution a word that you use to describe variation or change?

I move to Africa and get a nice dark tan from the sun. That is change. When my kids start being born black before they even see the sun, that is evolution.

However, the word 'change' can be used for everything. If my pet dog, Orion, instantly turned into a mouse, you can say he has 'changed'. If the change becomes inheritable - it is evolution.

Of course, there can still be similarities. Check this:

doggy.jpg

This is my pet dog, Orion. Believe it or not, but he is descended from a wolf. From first appearances you would never know such a thing, and yet underneath all of this is an animal so different in some aspects and so similar in others. Typical anti-evolutionists would claim this isn't evolution because Orion does not walk on two legs, or smoke cigars - but that is from their own inability to grasp the whole concept.

A wolf does not give birth to a golden retriever and a golden retriever does not give birth to wolves - but they all come from the same animal. Now, you've seen the multitude of differences between dogs - how hard is it to see that perhaps a fox is also a descendant of the same species, or that a human has originally come from apes? That too is just change... they don't walk upright - but they clearly have a distinction between legs and arms, and so on. There are so many similarities between us, (not just the 98% identical dna), that to refute such an idea, is somewhat silly.

The thing is, this is no way 'kills' your belief in an overall creator god being. You can happily shout that god made life from the rooftops, and it in no way effects evolution- but to claim that god made us as we are right now, has no basis.

We're not nasty bastards trying to drag you through the dirt to 'our side of the fence'. You can believe in a god - nobody ever said you couldn't, and while I personally don't agree with the whole idea just as I don't agree with the idea of leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, you can still believe it while understanding evolution.

Believe it or not, there is a difference between both terms and both require a datum or guage to measure the change from.

Change is an individual thing, evolution is when that change becomes inheritable.

Flores said:
Define evolution?
By definition and training , a peer can't offer a different view.
Thus, asking a medical doctor for a second opinion is utterly useless? I used the word "peer" to imply people who share relatively the same body of knowledge, whether they are agreeing with, or parts of, that knowledge is not implied.

Perhaps it's about time to stop the scientific inbreeding and open up the cult and the discussion to people outside of the peer gang friends circle.
Public fora like sciforums try to do just that.

You see, those peers keep talking about the same crap all day, that they start believing their own lies.
Oh no, there is nothing more exciting for a young scientist to proof the establishment wrong. When you succeed in doing just that, fame and interesting positions are yours until, of course, another bright person comes along and finds a hole in your model.

Beside the fact that Orion is very very cute, the rest of your post is utter nonesense. I don't even know where to start.

SnakeLord said:
Sure, but how do you arrive at a "god" type being? Tell me Flores, under this circumstance, why would you deny aliens, fairies, bigfoot, or gases/chemicals? The difference is, that everything we have, we can see and test points in a specific direction, and yet many are more fond of an idea that includes some mystical being that at the same time, nobody can describe or understand. I am unwilling to claim the loch ness monster created all life because there is no precedent for it. The same goes with any kind of entity. I see no basis with which to trust the writings of ancient people anymore than I see a basis with which to trust the original writings of vampires, and can, in total honesty, see no place, need, or evidence to suggest there is some being behind everything.

Snake, you remind me of a this old air matteress that I had. It had some holes that I used to plug with a tape. It took me ten times the time and energy to blow it, and still it never stayed firm. You are high maintenance dude, I pity your girl friend.

I can't believe you're still likening the concept of god to a loch ness monster?

While it wasn't really the response I was expecting, it's certainly nicer than ignoring me completely. I would ask however, that you be a tad more specific. What exactly do you find nonsense with and why?

I can tell you see fault with my comparison between god, the loch ness monster, and the furry invisible flunkoopunkoo of planet thwobble plop, but I would ask why when they all share something in common: Lack of any supporting evidence. Well, at least the loch ness monster has photographs.

However, all this aside, what problem do you have with the evolutionary part of the post? Do you call it nonsense that the very very cute Orion has not come from a wolf? That his ancestry was not completely different to how he is, and how his offspring will be? If you can acknowledge and accept that over time an animal will mutate, change and adapt, can you not then accept evolution which is when those changes, mutations and adaptations become inheritable?

As further answer to those who expect a missing link, we can look at the dog once more. The dog has more different breeds than any other animal on the planet. From big, heavy dogs like Orion will end up being, to tiny little rat sized dogs. They all share a common ancestor and yet are uniquely diverse and different to each other. Now apply that to our own ancestry, and you'll see you cannot expect there to be one distinct inbetween. Evolution need not be "in yer face", it is subtle, but after such a long amount of time, you can see the diversity that has come around because of it. Just as you can't sit there and deny the ancestry of my dog, you can't deny the ancestry of man. Well, you can, but it would be silly.

Anyway, if you'd like to be a bit more specific over what you have a problem with, do let me know.

Snake, you remind me of a this old air matteress that I had.

You'd like to lie on top of me? I'm honoured...

It took me ten times the time and energy to blow it

ooer.. Keep this clean Flores! Or just pm me or something :D

and still it never stayed firm

I resent the comment! I'm not that old!

You are high maintenance dude, I pity your girl friend.

I'm married Flores, pity my wife instead. Anyway, pity and insult aside, can you be a tad more specific over your grievances?

I can't believe you're still likening the concept of god to a loch ness monster?

What should I liken the concept of god to, other than a claimed being with no supporting evidence, (just like our buddy the loch ness monster)?

Flores:

I don't blame you for thinking as you do. At this stage, you're working from a position of almost complete ignorance regarding evolution. You have come up with a number of very basic, and quite sensible questions about evolution. I am sorry to see people like spuriousmonkey deflecting them rather than answering them. I will attempt to answer some of them below. For the moment, I don't want to get into the issue of whether God exists, because that is a discussion which can be had (and has been had) in other threads. I'd like to try to bring you up to speed a little on the basics of evolution.

This post may be a little disordered, because I will respond to your comments and questions in the order they appear in the thread. However, the first quote I will extract is out of order, because it is fundamental to beginning to understand evolution.

Please do explain how such random selection may have beat the tremendous odds of detrimental mutation results in a very small population.

This is the most common mistake that Creationists make about evolution. They assume that evolution is random. In fact, there are two parts to evolution:

1. The production of variation (through mutation etc.), which is random.
2. Natural selection, which is totally non-random.

Creationist always concentrate on (1) and fail to even understand (2).

The principle of natural selection states that in a population of organisms competing from common resources and breeding rights, those which are better adapted to their environments will be, on average, more likely to survive and ber offspring. This is non-random, because it is determined by the environment. Which animal is better adapted is not a roll of the dice.

If you're looking for something which "guides" evolution, you need not look for God. You need look no further than the environment.

And how does natural selection work exactly? Does nature favors a certain answers?

Yes, obviously. Take a very simple example of two mammals living in a cold climate. Suppose one is much hairier than the other, due to having a gene for hairiness. Which is more likely to survive? Obviously, the hairier one, since it has more chance of keeping warm. Which is more likely to reproduce? Again, obviously the hairy one, because it is more likely to be alive (apart from any other reasons). So, in this case nature (read, the environment) favours hairy animals, and natural selection will lead, on average, to hairier mammals in this environment.

Now take the same two animals and put them in the Sahara desert. Here, natural selection would favour the less hairy animal, for obvious reasons.

Now, ask yourself: what kinds of mammals do we tend to find in cold climates, and what kinds are found in hot climates. Answer: animals in cold climates tend to be hairier, on everage. Just as the theory of evolution predicts.

Can you see how evolution <b>explains</b> what we see, in a way that the primitive explanation "Because God made them that way" doesn't?

Do you think the cave man studied his partener's genes so extensively before he decided to hump her?

No. But she was alive when he humped her. Why? Because she was well-enough adapted to her environment. Women who were not so well adapted died off long before the cave man could hump them. See?

I disagree, sickle cell anemia is bad wherever you live...I'd rather fight malaria and take my chances as a healthy person than have sickle cell anemia.

You are correct about sickle cell anemia. If a person has sickle cell anemia, it is always bad, wherever you live. But to have sickle cell anemia, you need two copies of the sickle cell gene (one from each of your parents). If you have only one copy of the gene, then you gain resistance to malaria without being anemic. Clearly, having one copy of the sickle cell gene is great if you live in a region where malaria is prevalent. It is of no use at all if you live in an area without malaria.

Evolutionary theory predicts that, in areas where malaria is common, the sickle cell gene will be found more often in people than in areas where malaria is rare. When we examine people from different areas, this is exactly what we find, so this is evidence for natural selection.

Let's look at a simpler problem. Let's discuss how plants may have evolved?. I think we can agree that seeds are produced from trees, yet it's also true that out of a single seed, we can grow a tree. So which one came first, the egg or the chicken? The seed or the tree? The sperm/ova or the human?

This is easily answered. Let's take the classic chicken-and-egg problem. Which came first? Well, to have a chicken, you need a chicken egg, so clearly the chicken egg came before the first chicken. So, where did that egg come from? The answer is that it was laid by a chicken-like animal, almost but not quite identical to a chicken. In the process of fertilisation of the egg, a new genome came about, whether by mutation or crossing over of genes, meaning that the animal in the egg was no longer a chicken-like animal, but actually a chicken.

The seed-tree question has exactly the same kind of answer.

You see, I also believe that we are all variation of the same gene...I call it the pre-designed perfect human gene....And does this SAME gene apply to turtles and wild flowers?

There is no "perfect human gene". If that was true, every human would have 20/20 vision. We would be resistant to all diseases. We would live forever. etc. etc.

Turtles and flowers share some of our genes, but some of their genes are obviously very different to human genes. If they weren't, turtles and flowers would be humans instead of what they are. Simple, right?

I would believe that a tremendous amount of plant life existed prior to the existance of any animal life, afterall, animal life is supported by plant life, so please explain how plants were developed from the unicellular organism,

I think spurious has explained this. Unicellular organisms evolved co-operation among themselves, slowly becoming interdependent to the extent that they formed multi-cellular organisms. Those organisms gradually increased in complexity to form plants.

how they spread so much, and then what made the unicellular that has been becoming a plant for a long time decide to change it's mind and become an animal.

That did not happen. Plants and animals evolved in parallel. Animals did not evolve from plants.

Then how come we started with a very small population and ended up growing againest the odds that you have just stated that most mutations are neutral or negative....very rarely are they beneficial, and I'm sure such rare occasion will not outweight the negative impacts of mutations.

By far the majority of mutations are neutral - neither good nor bad. Populations grow when the birth rate outpaces the death rate, obviously. That has a lot to do with how effectively an animal (or plant, or whatever) manages to exploit its environment.

Against such odds, one would expect humanity to perish quickly if the gene was always mutated and not perfect... There was simply not enough people around to dilute the problem like we see now a day.

In fact, every person's genes are unique to them. Although you share 99.4% of your genes with a chimpanzee, and about half of your remaining genes with your mother, the rest of your genes are uniquely yours. Whether you pass on any of your unique genes or not depends on whether you have children. The fact you carry unique genes does not diminish your chances of reproducing, unless those genes have some kind of particularly debilitating effect on you (such as making you sterile, for example).

It's also a fact that relatives marriage increases your risk of problems? How come it doesn't improve our gene now a day to marry our sisters and brothers...

Every gene we have comes in two copies, as I mentioned with respect to sickle cell genes. You get one copy from your mother and one from your father. Many genetic defects which have bad effects require two copies of the gene to be present. Suppose you carry one copy of a bad gene, which you got from your father. It has no effect on you or your father, since you only have one copy each. Now, suppose you breed with your father. Your offspring will have a greatly increased chance of getting two copies of the defective gene. Therefore, it is usually safer to breed outside your own family.
---------

I hope you will bother reading this post for a change, Flores, since it took me some time and effort to write it for your benefit. I would be pleased if you dignified it with a response, and I will be particularly disappointed in you if you turn a blind eye to it. I have not commented on your religious views at all here. Instead, I have tried to educate you about a science you know little about, regardless of how much learning you may have in other areas of science.

I do not blame you for your lack of knowledge, but I will have a very low opinion of you if you refuse to even look at something which challenges your preconceptions.

Dave,

[Chimps] can learn sign language to some extent. They lack the vocal apparatus for human-like speech.

Do you consider this important?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking whether I consider it important that humans can talk but chimps can't? Important for what, or in what sense?

There are about 8 or 9 known transitional fossil species between ambulocetus and modern whales.[/I]

I’ll take your word on this one.

If you're interested, you might like to look at pictures of the following species and groups:
Mesonychids, Pakicetus, Ambulocetus, Dalanistes, Rodhocetus, Takracetus, Gaviocetus, Basilosaurus, Dorudon, Mysticates/Odonocetes

Australia exists I have no doubt, I have never been myself but I’ve met people in London and they sound slightly different to me, our accents are different. I’ve seen Australia on the TV, I’ve seen it on my map, I’ve read about it in books(I think), I have concluded that Australia does in fact exist. Do you agree?

I live there, so I'm fairly sure it exists. :)

Evolution exists too, but I have never seen any evidence that tells me that we came from an ape like animal, so I call it a theory.

There's plenty of evidence there. You need only to look.

How do you explain the many similarities between modern apes and humans? I guess you'd say that your God just decided to make a whole bunch of creature which are incredibly similar to one another, on a whim, or whatever. But evolution gives us a <b>reason</b> why we should see such close similarities. It does not require any arbitrary whim.

As far as I can see it cannot be proven.

Nothing in science can be absolutely proven. If I assert "all objects fall down when you drop them near the surface of the Earth", then I can never prove that without actually testing every possible object. However, it is still a reasonable conclusion to draw from the set of observations we have. For the same kinds of reasons, it is mroe than reasonable to draw the conclusion that apes and human beings share a common ancestor.

I have had a relative who died without bearing children. She was a human being I’m sure.

It is very convenient for you to draw a particular line between different individuals and call some human and others non-human. You would probably also be quite happy to describe certain people as "white" and others as "black". However, skin colour in human beings exists on a continuum. There are, no doubt, certain people you would have trouble labelling as "white" or "black". Perhaps they could be classified as either, or maybe you'd just draw an arbitrary line and be done with it. The line between human and non-human is the same. Your label "human" encompasses a particular range of variation. If you start to look at fossils, you will get to the point where drawing that line between human and non-human becomes totally arbitrary, because evolution, like skin colour, is a continuum, without sudden jumps from one species to another.

I think we share genes with more than just apes.

We do. But when we compare the human genome with the chimpanzee genome, we find that we share 99.4% of our genes. If we compare the human genome to that of a nemotode worm, the number is more like 50%. What does that suggest to you?

Fact: Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.

On this definition, then, evolution is a fact, since the theory of evolution is knowledge based on real occurrences.

How do you explain the many similarities between modern apes and humans? I guess you'd say that your God just decided to make a whole bunch of creature which are incredibly similar to one another, on a whim, or whatever. But evolution gives us a reason why we should see such close similarities. It does not require any arbitrary whim.
My personal belief on this--it changes alot though--is that evolution is side effect of Adam's disobedience. Not only do we die, but life is created entirely through death. We are in a world where the only physical future is death.

We do. But when we compare the human genome with the chimpanzee genome, we find that we share 99.4% of our genes. If we compare the human genome to that of a nemotode worm, the number is more like 50%. What does that suggest to you?
It suggests to me that the Chimpanzee is more physically related to humans than the worm; it even suggest that the Chimpanzee has more awareness. It does not, however, suggest that the human being does not have a soul or that the human being is created fully from the Ape.

Back