If there is a soul what does it do in an afterlife

TheVisitor,

The words of prophets are not "man made scripture"
We know of no other creature that can write scriptures. You will need to prove this extraordinary claim.

"Man shall live by every Word that procedes out of the mouth of God"
Ahh the puppet master and his puppets. What a crazy concept for life.

The mouthpiece of God are prophets who speak His Words, not their own.
A delusion fully consistent with a non existent god that of course cannot speak.

This is to be either vindicated or not.
Just like purple polka-dot fire breathing dragons.

But it ISN'T different. Humans will always give a rose tainted version of of reality which can't be supported and is often proven wrong. 'The Soul' is just another one of those things which gets the default position of being true because it makes us feel better. This is why religion has historically been such a failure at making scientific guesses - nothing is true simply because we want it to be, and of course, by guessing it to be.
How is it not different? Check the many-minds interpetation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind , etc....

Explain how it isn't different? "soul" is just a word for a mind that isn't made of matter, existing independantly of the brain. Neurology can't explain the "hard problem of consciousness". Whats so incredibly implausible about it existing? Oh I know, it can't exist, why? Because I have to defend my atheist faith.

KennyJC said:
Well I wouldn't go believing in something that is completely baseless. I have a hell of a lot of thinking beyond science, but that doesn't lead me into superstitious beliefs.
Again, a soul or a mind independant of matter isn't completely baseless at all.

KennyC said:
Well what did you expect, that all discoveries would simply appear out of nowhere? Science is progressive and that is why it has a proven track record.
So why do you insist that everything besides what you believe is delusional?

KennyJC said:
Much of science will (and has) stood the test of time. Much of science in the 1700's is still relevant today. We have simply made more discoveries.
Not really. The "facts" and "truths" continously change in science.

KennyJC said:
Immaterial is not science. We are living in a material world - (c) Madonna 1984.
Immaterial meaning not made of matter. Gravity, time, electromagnetism, etc...are immaterial.

KennyJC said:
You are delusional if you believe it, not if you simply wonder about it.
So then all revolutionary scientists were delusional, through your logic.

KennyJC said:
Maybe, but they are generally theories gained from at least some evidence/observation or calculation. The 'soul' doesn't even get that far.
No not really, they are initially just ways of trying explain things, then the theory that wins out is the one that the evidence correlates with.

KennyJC said:
What is it exactly I am saying is right? It's like the celestial teapot - I am not claiming anything to be right by ignoring claims unsupported by evidence. If science finds strong evidence for the soul and I continue to say it is false or doesn't exist, then come back to me with your accusations.
But a "soul" existing is far more probable then a celestial teapot existing based on the fact that neurology can't explain the "hard problem of consciousness", and there are many theories suggesting that there is a mind that exists independant of matter.

c7,

cris, you have an astral body which will live when your physical body has died.
A wonderful fantasy, and thanks for thinking of me.

But no. The truth is that for me and you that if we are not able to prevent our bodies from eventually dying then those neural networks that constitute what we think of as ourselves, will simply cease to exist.

For all your creatively imaginatve pseudo-mystical fantasies and proposals in the end simple material hard facts will determine our outcomes.

VitalOne,

Um yes it is. What possible evidence can you demonstrate that can show that a soul is at least possible? There is nothing - this is entirely fantasy.

Vitalone,

Immaterial meaning not made of matter. Gravity, time, electromagnetism, etc...are immaterial.
Please don't keep repeating that mistake. These forces are all part of the material universe.

By immaterial here we mean supernatural.

VitalOne,

But a "soul" existing is far more probable then a celestial teapot existing based on the fact that neurology can't explain the "hard problem of consciousness", and there are many theories suggesting that there is a mind that exists independant of matter.
No, this is nonsense. That we are still studying how the brain functions and still have a lot to do is no justification for proposing that magic happens. At the very least the proposal is extremly premature and more importantly there is absolutely no precedent or basis for suggesting that something supernatural or magical can possibly exist. In that respect the celestial teapot is far more credible, since at least we know that a teapot can exist.

Last edited:
Cris,

I don't know how you find the energy to keep trying with these guys, but by keeping them talking, you keep them exposed.

And me amused.

Explain how it isn't different? "soul" is just a word for a mind that isn't made of matter, existing independantly of the brain.

Oh, is THAT all? I thought for a minute you were proposing something unreasonable :rolleyes:

Neurology can't explain the "hard problem of consciousness". Whats so incredibly implausible about it existing? Oh I know, it can't exist, why? Because I have to defend my atheist faith.

Neurology already has consensus that conciousness is just one of many activities within the brain. The hard problem is understanding how it arises from the complex network of neurons. But indeed we would be hard pressed to explain any function of the brain in this fasion, but all phenomena generated by the brain work's in this way, including conciousness.

Seems like a pretty funny contradiction. If it isn't made of matter or observable in any way, then it is completely baseless.

So why do you insist that everything besides what you believe is delusional?

I don't have any beliefs, at least not in the same sense that magical & superstitious thinkers have.

Not really. The "facts" and "truths" continously change in science.

Based on where evidence leads us. There are many things in science today that will be relevant to science always. Just an example off the top of my head...The atomic number of each chemical element which is based on the number of protons that destinguishes between the elements. Even if a new element is discovered in the future, it doesn't mean this scientific concept has been irrelevant before that.

VitalOne,

No, this is nonsense. That we are still studying how the brain functions and still have a lot to do is no justification for proposing that magic happens. At the very least the proposal is extremly premature and more importantly there is absolutely no precedent or basis for suggesting that something supernatural or magical can possibly exist. In that respect the celestial teapot is far more credible, since at least we know that a teapot can exist.

Its not nonsense, but then again stuck in your narrow-minded mindset ("everyone is delusional if they don't agree with me") I see how you could think that.

Check the Many-minds interpretation of QM, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation

Also who's talking about something supernatural and magical? Why do you insist that the soul or a mind not made of matter has to be magical and supernatural?

Vitalone,

Please don't keep repeating that mistake. These forces are all part of the material universe.

By immaterial here we mean supernatural.
So what word should I use? The dictionary defines it as something not material, incorporeal, having no substance or form, precisely what I mean. Why do you keep pushing that it has to be supernatural for?

The world 'material' means made of matter, form, substance, therefore gravity, time, electromagnetism, being not made of matter are 'immaterial'. I don't know why you have a problem with the definition.

Oh, is THAT all? I thought for a minute you were proposing something unreasonable :rolleyes:
Again, why is it unreasonable? You have yet to explain this. The fact that you ignore any theory that you don't agree with demonstrates your narrow-mindedness, no different from radical theists.

KennyJC said:
Neurology already has consensus that conciousness is just one of many activities within the brain. The hard problem is understanding how it arises from the complex network of neurons. But indeed we would be hard pressed to explain any function of the brain in this fasion, but all phenomena generated by the brain work's in this way, including conciousness.
And one possible solution is that there is something besides matter that has to do with consciousness. But this is unreasonable to you.

KennyJC said:
I don't have any beliefs, at least not in the same sense that magical & superstitious thinkers have.
Yeah you do, the belief that neural activity explains everything about consciousness, there's nothing beyond it but neural activity. This is what strict materialists hold. However, most neurologists themselves do not believe this.

KennyJC said:
Based on where evidence leads us. There are many things in science today that will be relevant to science always. Just an example off the top of my head...The atomic number of each chemical element which is based on the number of protons that destinguishes between the elements. Even if a new element is discovered in the future, it doesn't mean this scientific concept has been irrelevant before that.
Yeah, but after one big scientific revolution, the way things are looked at will greatly change, now imagine many big scientific revolutions. The result will be that the science today will be more irrevalant.

VitalOne,

The world 'material' means made of matter, form, substance, therefore gravity, time, electromagnetism, being not made of matter are 'immaterial'. I don't know why you have a problem with the definition.
Because - The definition of "matter" in modern philosophical materialism extends to all scientifically observable entities such as energy, forces, and the curvature of space. In this sense, one might speak of the "material world". From wikipedia.

This is the usual expectation of the meaning of material and the corollory i.e. "immaterial" is none of those things, i.e. undetectable by science.

These are the usual definitions of these terms as used in philosophy and it becomes very confusing when you proceed to invent your own.

Do you also understand that matter is composed of particles bound by forces. I.e, when we talk of material things it automatically includes the necessary forces.

VitalOne,

Its not nonsense, but then again stuck in your narrow-minded mindset ("everyone is delusional if they don't agree with me") I see how you could think that.
It is not a matter of narrow-mindedness but one of perspective, credibility, and evidence.

You are arguing for duality, an entity that can exist seperate to the brain, and that is not supportable, necessary, or credible especially when considering the power and complexity that the brain provides. It doesn't make any sense to me to consider these peripheral fantasies before we have made much more headway in understanding the undoubtable complexity that faces us with the material brain.

You are arguing for duality, an entity that can exist seperate to the brain, and that is not supportable, necessary, or credible ....

Is it possible to perceive but not to be apart?

How do explain an out of the body experience, when somebody floats above themselves and sees their body?

Let me guess.

You are going to dismiss this as hallucination, some sort of a fantasy, right?

Now tell us how you would know that in scientific terms, except for presupposing this to suit your purpose.

Except in terms of the narrative, how do you measure, how do you support hallucination?

Why are dreams necessary and what is the evidence of a dream, except that somebody tells you and you have to believe it?

Are the brainwaves and eyeballs going to tell you what the dream was about?

Back