i wonder...

I don't think its a bizarre mutation beyond existing mutations in the human population. The experience is consistent with schizophrenia with the exception of the nature of the hallucinations. The majority of schizophrenia hallucinations are voices; however, some people get other kinds of hallucination (music/sound is documented to be one of those kinds).

I don't see why that is even relevant but... ok.

Well the "scientist" component says "hey, this is hallucination". As to exploring the exact mechnaics of my particular hallucinations with my particular brain, I don't hold enough interest to change careers to pursue neurology.

i would be more inclined to pursue music than neurology. lol...

Oh you're making assumptions again.
I didn't say, or imply, that they can't be identified better than that. What I did was give my wording (and I'm neither a fully-trained psychologist nor a neurologist).

well is it able to be identified better than that? i've heard about timing of impulses in the brain. is there a test for that? some empirical evidence?

No. I felt no need.

so it wasn't disturbing or meaningful enough to invoke either concern or interest. i wonder if a dismissal like this shuts the door to knowledge. what do you think?

You failed to read again. I didn't say assigning meaning makes them a crackpot, I said "significant meaning". I.e. considering it to be a message from god &c...

why would it have to be deemed a message from god to be significantly meaningful?

Last edited:
A clear "yes" to a schizophrenia diagnosis wasn't possible because I have so few symptoms (audio-hallucination only); however, I was evaluated as being mentally healthy nonetheless. I suspect that I have a very mild form of schizophrenia, but apparently mild versions can be difficult to positively diagnose.

The clinical research that resulted in that particular discovery hasn't produced any tools that doctors can use for diagnostic purposes (at least not to my knowledge). Other researchers have found minute brain structure size differences (ex. smaller hippocompus and larger ventricles) when observing the brains of identical twins (one with schizophrenia and one without). Other research has shown people with shizoprenia have duplications and / or deletions of genetic material in their genes. There have been other discoveries as well. All of them combined will probably lead to better objective diagnostic tools (and possibly cures) in the future. But we're not there yet.

so you're saying that you do not in fact know that what you're experiencing is schizophrenia.

well is it able to be identified better than that? i've heard about timing of impulses in the brain. is there a test for that? some empirical evidence?
Which bit of "I'm neither a fully-trained psychologist nor a neurologist" did you miss? I concentrated on perceptual psychology at uni so I missed learning about the other stuff.

so it wasn't disturbing or meaningful enough to invoke either concern or interest.
I see you're making assumptions again.
There's a vast difference between me feeling a need to see a doctor and considering it uninteresting.

i wonder if a dismissal like this shuts the door to knowledge. what do you think?
What you think I could have learnt that the brain glitches every now and again? Oh, wait...

why would it have to be deemed a message from god to be significantly meaningful?
Notice I put a "&c" on there as well. What do you consider to be significantly meaningful"? And significantly meaningful of what?

I wouldn't dream of suggesting a sudden career change, however to me the subject is an interesting one because I look at it from a "Transhumanist" perspective. My beliefs will seem unusual to the current Psychiatry community because there consensus was formulated on observation without the understanding that technology could play a vital role.

How can I put it without it sounding as odd as it probably will sound?!?. I reason that every person on this planet could have a symbiotic intelligence, partially "organic" merged with artificial intelligence. The reason I say this is because one of the main concerns that every person has, is their own mortality.

What ways are their to "cheat death" or prolong life? Well obviously there's a lot of medical research into that area, however it's all to Mary Shelley for me with organ transplantation etc.

Afterall the nature of organic systems is usually to breakdown organically over time, so trying to fend off what is inevitable is, for lack of a finer description... "pointless".

So lets say Scientists go for the grail and decide to extend our lives by moving us to a cybernetic future. This is great for the kids of those that make the equipment, but it's a little unfair to put loads of work in and not actually get anything yourself out of it, after all it's about "mortality", whats the point in martyring a lifetime of work for someone else.

This is why I don't think psychiatrists get it, such systems would indeed be "retroactive". This means that a future technology is applied in the here and now, a regular grandfathers paradox. Like any paradox however it too would suffer a fluctuating state until it's either identified as being the overall goal or denied by those that either fear it or don't understand it. (A Wavefunction collapse if you will.)

I would go into more detail but to most of you, you'll either not be interested, won't understand or have other agenda's that you'd prefer to fill, so I won't waste any more of peoples time on it.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure of what to think of that. It seems you have an interest in digitizing a persons brain and then "molding/running it" in a prosthetic body. It's interesting but leads to a resource shortage ultimately due to overpopulation no?

Which bit of "I'm neither a fully-trained psychologist nor a neurologist" did you miss? I concentrated on perceptual psychology at uni so I missed learning about the other stuff.

I see you're making assumptions again.
There's a vast difference between me feeling a need to see a doctor and considering it uninteresting.

What you think I could have learnt that the brain glitches every now and again? Oh, wait...

Notice I put a "&c" on there as well. What do you consider to be significantly meaningful"? And significantly meaningful of what?

lots of things, if not everything, is meaningful in some way. maybe it means you have a brain tumor. does the experience bring anything else to mind other than a glitch?

I wouldn't dream of suggesting a sudden career change, however to me the subject is an interesting one because I look at it from a "Transhumanist" perspective. My beliefs will seem unusual to the current Psychiatry community because there consensus was formulated on observation without the understanding that technology could play a vital role.

How can I put it without it sounding as odd as it probably will sound?!?. I reason that every person on this planet could have a symbiotic intelligence, partially "organic" merged with artificial intelligence. The reason I say this is because one of the main concerns that every person has, is their own mortality.

What ways are their to "cheat death" or prolong life? Well obviously there's a lot of medical research into that area, however it's all to Mary Shelley for me with organ transplantation etc.

Afterall the nature of organic systems is usually to breakdown organically over time, so trying to fend off what is inevitable is, for lack of a finer description... "pointless".

So lets say Scientists go for the grail and decide to extend our lives by moving us to a cybernetic future. This is great for the kids of those that make the equipment, but it's a little unfair to put loads of work in and not actually get anything yourself out of it, after all it's about "mortality", whats the point in martyring a lifetime of work for someone else.

This is why I don't think psychiatrists get it, such systems would indeed be "retroactive". This means that a future technology is applied in the here and now, a regular grandfathers paradox. Like any paradox however it too would suffer a fluctuating state until it's either identified as being the overall goal or denied by those that either fear it or don't understand it. (A Wavefunction collapse if you will.)

I would go into more detail but to most of you, you'll either not be interested, won't understand or have other agenda's that you'd prefer to fill, so I won't waste any more of peoples time on it.

wouldn't it make more sense to change the nature of the organic systems? why artificial intelligence? that seems like a real stretch. especially considering the untapped potential in our brains, and ultimately in our dna. that's how we've always evolved, with the help of "mother nature", and possibly more than that.

so you're saying that you do not in fact know that what you're experiencing is schizophrenia.

Correct. I don't exhibit enough symptoms for a positive diagnosis; however, the audio hallucinations can be affected by how I feel, what I am thinking, and can range from lame/boring sounds to rather spectacular musical scores. Quite often, the voices that schizophrenic people hear are affected by thoughts / feelings and have a wide range of "quality" to them. Thats a pretty solid correlation that isn't shared by other known disorders that can result in audio hallucination.

On occasion.

I really don't understand what you're asking. Perhaps if you can parphrase the question...

i just wonder why it wouldn't be more random or systemic. i wonder why you only hallucinate in regards to music, and nothing else. are you saying that you think your thoughts and feelings determine that?

lots of things, if not everything, is meaningful in some way.
I'd certainly deny that everything has meaning (for a given value of "meaning").

maybe it means you have a brain tumor.
I would have expected more persistence, and possibly other effects, from a brain tumour. It definitely wasn't something that sprang to mind as a possible explanation.

does the experience bring anything else to mind other than a glitch?
I don't understand the question. What could it bring to mind?

i just wonder why it wouldn't be more random or systemic. i wonder why you only hallucinate in regards to music, and nothing else.

Well sound and music. Not everything I hear from the hallucination is pure melody. As to why the hallucinations are constrained to music / sound, I can only speculate that the part of my brain affected most is an auditory processing region.

are you saying that you think your thoughts and feelings determine that?

Nope. I am saying that my thoughts / feelings can influence the content of the hallucination (i.e. it's involuntary).

I'd certainly deny that everything has meaning (for a given value of "meaning").

I would have expected more persistence, and possibly other effects, from a brain tumour. It definitely wasn't something that sprang to mind as a possible explanation.

I don't understand the question. What could it bring to mind?

like with crunchy, it brought to mind music. does yours reflect anything that's familiar or logical?

Well sound and music. Not everything I hear from the hallucination is pure melody. As to why the hallucinations are constrained to music / sound, I can only speculate that the part of my brain affected most is an auditory processing region.

Nope. I am saying that my thoughts / feelings can influence the content of the hallucination (i.e. it's involuntary).

do you consider this to be a good thing, or a bad thing? you sarcastically mentioned being lucky. but lots of people like me appreciate music a lot. music has changed the lives of many...even saved people's lives. some claim it's taken people's lives.

when i described the experience i had, which i believe i channeled a spirit that used my body to pen a poem, to my atheist musician brother, he surprised me by saying that a lot of musicians and lyricists attest to channeling something in some form. they don't attribute the music to themselves and their own devices entirely.

do you consider this to be a good thing, or a bad thing? you sarcastically mentioned being lucky. but lots of people like me appreciate music a lot. music has changed the lives of many...even saved people's lives. some claim it's taken people's lives.

I consider it a bad thing. It's a chronic involuntary experience.

when i described the experience i had, which i believe i channeled a spirit that used my body to pen a poem, to my atheist musician brother, he surprised me by saying that a lot of musicians and lyricists attest to channeling something in some form. they don't attribute the music to themselves and their own devices entirely.

Humans are naturally wired to blame / give credit to imaginary external 3rd party entities. That is not surprising in the least.

just thought I'd....
in a nutshell, i believe that a manifestation of the holy spirit is taking place on this earth right now that is unprecedented. i swear to god, i felt like noah going through this, and i know i'm not the only one. thank god, i've been privy to a lot of verification and substantiation, albeit from people i don't know.

Yep spot on. I know of many people who are having similar dreams and so called hallucinatory experiences along same lines. An emmergence of "his nibbs" seems imminent ....
Most of the time they experience severe depression immediately after the experience due ot the intense isolation experienced when one discovers a truth that others can not possibly comprehend.
A global/universal "priming" "preparation" is under way is the general consensus and it's happening under intense secrecy due to the need to avoid mass hysterics. [paranoia]
edit: and it's not directly associated with religion or theology generally.

Last edited:
Lori,
Can I ask what "year" it was that you first had your experience?

I've had more subdued experiences during my life that led me to believe in god and christ, and that in some ways prepared me for the off the wall event in 2005.

just thought I'd....

Yep spot on. I know of many people who are having similar dreams and so called hallucinatory experiences along same lines. An emmergence of "his nibbs" seems imminent ....
Most of the time they experience severe depression immediately after the experience due ot the intense isolation experienced when one discovers a truth that others can not possibly comprehend.
A global/universal "priming" "preparation" is under way is the general consensus and it's happening under intense secrecy due to the need to avoid mass hysterics. [paranoia]
edit: and it's not directly associated with religion or theology generally.

I'm very familiar with that isolation. I also think that the individual and personal experience lends validation, in that there is no collaboration, influence, or convincing from other people regarding the matter. Its all you. Nobody gives it to you and nobody can take it away. And I think in the end we'll all come together with knowledge that we trust, because we all lived through it all on our own.

I consider it a bad thing. It's a chronic involuntary experience.

Is that because it worries/scares you? Makes you feel like you're not in control? Because its isolating? I mean theoretically, if you enjoy music, you should enjoy your gift.

Humans are naturally wired to blame / give credit to imaginary external 3rd party entities. That is not surprising in the least.

Funny...I thought people were wired to be egotistical.

Back