i need to ask a Christian a question

alain

du hast mich
Registered Senior Member
before i start, this is an actual question, i am not trying to insult your religion or anything like that

now, here it goes

from my understanding of the Bible, evil people, get sent to Hell for their evil actions, whilst they are in Hell (ie, eternity), they get punished by the embodiment of all evil, Satan and his helpers, the other Devils

i want to know, why would Satan punish evil people? wouldn't it make sense for him to reward them, for doing his work??

thank you

But that would mean being bad brings rewards... that is not a good way to put the fear of god into people (unbelievers).

Anyway, I am not a christian, so I better shut up.

alain said:
before i start, this is an actual question, i am not trying to insult your religion or anything like that

now, here it goes

from my understanding of the Bible, evil people, get sent to Hell for their evil actions, whilst they are in Hell (ie, eternity), they get punished by the embodiment of all evil, Satan and his helpers, the other Devils

i want to know, why would Satan punish evil people? wouldn't it make sense for him to reward them, for doing his work??

thank you
There is nothing biblical about Satan being in charge of Hell and tormenting people. Actually, the bible says quite the opposite, that Satan and his followers will someday be thrown into the lake of fire with all the other sinners and everyone, including those in the lake of fire, will bow knee and acknowledge Jesus as Lord. God is in charge of both Heaven and Hell. Satan does not want to go to Hell any more than anyone else does, but he is inexorably headed that way.

Dreamwalker said:
That means I will not go to hell? At least not for some time?
I'm not sure what you mean? The bible indicates that God's angels carry the good to Paridise (Abraham's Bosom) and the bad go to Hell after they die...
Matthew 16:19-31
There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
I don't know if this is a parable or a true story, but it gets the idea across regardless. There is no mention of Satan or Devils at all. Quite the contrary, Revelations indicates that Satan is here, on Earth, until the end.

Dreamwalker said:
And if I am a follower of satan?
Then I am sorry, followers of Satan will indeed continue to follow him, right into the lake of fire - but it doesn't have to be that way since that choice is up to you.

So, just that I understand it right, bad persons die and go straight to hell, followers of satan run after him like cattle and are someday thrown after the normal bad people? Which in turn would lead me to the question why satan is not already there...

But anyway, I am not a bad person, neither am I a christian, and neither will I bow down to some divine bastard just because he lugged a cross through the streets.

But thanks for making this point clearer.

David F. said:
Then I am sorry, followers of Satan will indeed continue to follow him, right into the lake of fire - but it doesn't have to be that way since that choice is up to you.

According to the Bible and it's millions of verses on predestination, there is no choice really since God has already chosen.

§outh§tar said:
According to the Bible and it's millions of verses on predestination, there is no choice really since God has already chosen.
I only find three places in two books by a single author and that being the least of the apostles:
Ro 8:29-30
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Eph 1:5
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Eph 1:11
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:​
I don't think I would place too great an emphasis on predestination. The bible itself says By the mouth of two or three witness let every matter be established. I would hate to bet my eternal existance on something this trivial since even these are not all that clear about whether the predestination is salvation or something else (there seems to be a higher calling than just salvation and these verses seem to be describing that higher calling).

Dreamwalker said:
So, just that I understand it right, bad persons die and go straight to hell, followers of satan run after him like cattle and are someday thrown after the normal bad people? Which in turn would lead me to the question why satan is not already there...

But anyway, I am not a bad person, neither am I a christian, and neither will I bow down to some divine bastard just because he lugged a cross through the streets.

But thanks for making this point clearer.
My pleasure :)

"here is nothing biblical about Satan being in charge of Hell and tormenting people. Actually, the bible says quite the opposite, that Satan and his followers will someday be thrown into the lake of fire with all the other sinners and everyone, including those in the lake of fire, will bow knee and acknowledge Jesus as Lord. God is in charge of both Heaven and Hell. Satan does not want to go to Hell any more than anyone else does, but he is inexorably headed that way."

Thanks David, that clears up my confusion

David F. said:
I only find three places in two books by a single author and that being the least of the apostles:

In case you didn't know, it's called an exagerration ;) and by Jesus own words on the subject, we can't know who the "least" of the apostles is. I was going to say "thousands of verses" but I suspected you would make such a comment so I changed it to millions hoping you would get the dry humor but o well; at least i tried.

According to my Calvinist friends there are a lot more, but I saw this on an atheist "trickster's" site which you might want to take a look at: http://members.aol.com/ckbloomfld/bepart32.html#ref320
There is more on the bottom if you scroll down after he answers a couple of questions.

I don't think I would place too great an emphasis on predestination.

In other words some of the things God breathed into the Bible are not as weighty? As a former militant Christian, I am still offended by that statement.

The bible itself says By the mouth of two or three witness let every matter be established.

That is probably not happened when Moses came up with the ten commandments by his lonesome, or when there were no witnesses to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane (not even the sleeping disciples), or there were no witnesses to Jesus atop the mountain overlooking all the world, or there were no witnesses to the events in the garden of Eden (the lovebirds left no records themselves), or there were no witnesses to John the Elder's apocalyptic vision, or there were no witnesses to Moses dying (and yet it was recorded..), and there were no witnesses to the saints rising after the crucifixion and entering Jerusalem, and there were no witnesses to the sun that stopped so a war could go on, and so on and so forth.

So is the Bible lying or is this another double standard proceeding from the nostrils of God?

Note: No need to try to try to debate all the examples I gave, at least you get the point. Wouldn't want this to drag out past our topic. I am not forcing you however.

I would hate to bet my eternal existance on something this trivial since even these are not all that clear about whether the predestination is salvation or something else (there seems to be a higher calling than just salvation and these verses seem to be describing that higher calling).

Aaah, so there are "trivial" things in the Bible and things "not all that clear", to reject that claim that it is useful for guiding man since its sole effect is confusion and dissension in the Church.

The verses in the link I gave are very clear, can you show me why they are not clear? And can you actually provide any verses which describe a higher calling, including surrounding verses to provide contextual corroboration?

§outh§tar said:
In case you didn't know, it's called an exagerration ;) and by Jesus own words on the subject, we can't know who the "least" of the apostles is. I was going to say "thousands of verses" but I suspected you would make such a comment so I changed it to millions hoping you would get the dry humor but o well; at least i tried.

According to my Calvinist friends there are a lot more, but I saw this on an atheist "trickster's" site which you might want to take a look at: http://members.aol.com/ckbloomfld/bepart32.html#ref320
There is more on the bottom if you scroll down after he answers a couple of questions.
Sorry,.. Yes, I did miss the humor. :eek:
In other words some of the things God breathed into the Bible are not as weighty? As a former militant Christian, I am still offended by that statement.
Well, I'll tell you what I think... Jesus himself testifies that the OT is true and the scripture cannot be broken. Paul uses the phrase you are quoting, but he too is talking about the OT since the NT has not yet been written. Does the NT hold just as much sway? Probably, but we have no way to know that?

So, I only trust the sayings of Paul when I can find cooberation within other parts of the scriptures not written by Paul - which includes other NT writers.
That is probably not happened when Moses came up with the ten commandments by his lonesome,
This is why God spoke the 10 commandments to the people from the top of the mountain prior to giving the tablets to Moses - so there would be no disagreement and no one could accuse Moses of making them up - some did anyway (Korah) and God had to act on Moses' behalf.
or when there were no witnesses to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane (not even the sleeping disciples), or there were no witnesses to Jesus atop the mountain overlooking all the world, or there were no witnesses to the events in the garden of Eden (the lovebirds left no records themselves), or there were no witnesses to John the Elder's apocalyptic vision, or there were no witnesses to Moses dying (and yet it was recorded..), and there were no witnesses to the saints rising after the crucifixion and entering Jerusalem, and there were no witnesses to the sun that stopped so a war could go on, and so on and so forth.
I think it would be quite correct from a biblical/Christian persepective not to believe anything where there were not multiple witnesses. However, the lack of witnesses, does not make it false, just less believable. Some of the things you cite certainly did have multiple witnesses - like the sun stopping in the sky. It would be awfully hard for Joshua to claim such a thing in an official history when there were thousands of people there who could later refute his testemony. But - How does this particular miracle change our faith in any way - true or false? I have consistently maintained that I could not prove the creation story and I only believe it because it does not conflict with the evidence I see around me. If you can show a better theory - I'll listen. What difference does it make whether Moses died or not. Do you wish to believe he is still alive? I guess it doesn't really matter, does it?
So is the Bible lying or is this another double standard proceeding from the nostrils of God?
No, I just think the predestination thing has to do with something other than salvation so don't try to use predestination to apply to those who have been, or will be saved.
Aaah, so there are "trivial" things in the Bible and things "not all that clear", to reject that claim that it is useful for guiding man since its sole effect is confusion and dissension in the Church.

The verses in the link I gave are very clear, can you show me why they are not clear? And can you actually provide any verses which describe a higher calling, including surrounding verses to provide contextual corroboration?
I think there is a higher calling. I have found that the Christian path is composed of milestones. We start as a part of the church, the Body of Christ. There are those who become part of the bride of Christ, and then there are those who go on to become Sons of God. My reading makes me think (my opinion) that these three are not all the same thing. As the woman came out of the man yet is still a part of the man, so the bride comes out of the church but is still a part of the church. To take this a little further, the son comes out of the bride, so the Sons of God come out of the Bride of Christ. Body, Bride, Son. Paul calls these three steps (and there may be more I don't know of) being Called, Justified and Glorified. Jesus describes how we achieve these three steps - Ask and you shall receive, Seek and you shall find, Knock and it will be opened unto you. Ask, Seek, Knock. We also see these three steps in the three stories of women in the bible (next to Christ, we or the church is represented by a woman) first Ruth, then Esther, and finally Mary. The three are also represented in the three 40 year parts of Moses life, and in the three Kings of Israel: Saul, which means asked for, David, which means Beloved, and Solomon, which means Peace. The bible, especially the OT, is full of pictures and representations (the events were real but God made them also representative of the walk of true believers) to help us along the way. Not having achieved all these steps myself, I can only offer my opinion about these matters while Jesus, and presumably Paul, had more knowledge in these matters. I am still seeking for answers, as I presume I will do all my life.

Anyway, all my long-windedness aside, I think the predestination scriptures have to do with a higher calling and not with salvation itself.

I use the word trivial to describe things I find with only one witness - perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I have tried to give a short description of what I do think these things mean - on which you may or may not agree with me. This is why these things may not be all that clear. In any case, these matters do not affect someone's ticket to heaven so if that is all you are worried about, you need not concern yourself with these matters. If, however, you wish a closer, more intimate relationship with your creator, you may wish to look into these things.

Last edited:
alain said:

now, here it goes

thank you

This is a common misconception...why it is I have no idea. But people are not "sent" to hell as a result of their actions. It is stated quite clearly in scripture that no one enters the Kingdom of God by their "works", and that all are sinners, and all fall short of the glory of God. If people could save themselves by their own works, then the sacrifice of Jesus Christ would have been for nothing. What you are asking is the complete opposite of what the Bible teaches. The truth is that people choose hell by denying salvation in Jesus Christ...by rejecting the choice that is offerred by Him under God, to go to heaven now, and to live in the future, in an eternal kingdom of peace love and joy, and therefore free of sin...the alternative being what is described as hell. You can see both here on earth...good and evil...look around. Heaven, and the Kingdom is to be "pure" good, and hell to be "pure" evil...the two being completely separated in these places, unlike it is combined here on earth. The reason that both exist here on earth is so that you can experience the difference in your life, and with that knowledge, then make a choice that you can live with for all of eternity. And it seems so strange to me that anyone would choose hell. Strange, isn't it?

Love,

Lori

Lori_7 said:
The reason that both exist here on earth is so that you can experience the difference in your life, and with that knowledge, then make a choice that you can live with for all of eternity. And it seems so strange to me that anyone would choose hell. Strange, isn't it?

Love,

Lori

This is perspective. To some "unbelievers", I think, it's not that we're choosing hell on purpose. It's that we think the Bible is not ultimately true, and/or we think the "God of the Bible" is an ultimately unsavory character so that it's difficult to find him as a worthy character.

And we all know Christianity is more than "believing in Jesus". If I accept what the Bible says about Jesus, why should I stop there? Who said I should stop there? I know that you and C20 don't go to church. In Hebrews there's a verse which says "Do not forsake the assembling of yourselves together", and the "churchies" [as you said ;)] might refer to that very verse. The problem, as I see it, is that Christianity is not just "accept Christ". If that's all it was, then for those who have no religious tradition, why not take a chance? Although I find it offensive that one who is already in a tradition which they believe is true, has to give it up for another belief. Sure, if the Bible's true, then it's true. But who said their beliefs aren't true? But do we stop there? What about everything else the Bible says?

Last edited:
David F. said:
Well, I'll tell you what I think... Jesus himself testifies that the OT is true and the scripture cannot be broken. Paul uses the phrase you are quoting, but he too is talking about the OT since the NT has not yet been written. Does the NT hold just as much sway? Probably, but we have no way to know that?

So, I only trust the sayings of Paul when I can find cooberation within other parts of the scriptures not written by Paul - which includes other NT writers.

Well apparently Paul disagreed with Paul AND Jesus on the law and justification, said it was disgraceful for a woman to speak in church and disagreed with George W. Bush on whether it is "double you" or "dubyah". ;)

This is why God spoke the 10 commandments to the people from the top of the mountain prior to giving the tablets to Moses - so there would be no disagreement and no one could accuse Moses of making them up - some did anyway (Korah) and God had to act on Moses' behalf.

Well sine Moses did not write (all of) the Pentateuch, claiming it is a fact that the people all witnessed God's approval of the commandments is a bit iffy.

I think it would be quite correct from a biblical/Christian persepective not to believe anything where there were not multiple witnesses. However, the lack of witnesses, does not make it false, just less believable.

Just like neither Paul nor the Gospel writers ever met Jesus? Here is Paul, a guy who NEVER saw Jesus and yet claimed to have seen Him in a vision (what did he know what he looked like?). Since he claimed to be telling the truth and the Bible is God's inspired, breathed Word, have we the audacity to question the claims of God's medium?

Some of the things you cite certainly did have multiple witnesses - like the sun stopping in the sky. It would be awfully hard for Joshua to claim such a thing in an official history when there were thousands of people there who could later refute his testemony.

So you claim but let's look at it rationally.

NO ONE IN THE ENTIRE EARTH apart from Joshua recorded the sun stopping on that day. Make note: The sun does not even move so Joshua was wrong, which halves his credibility twofold.

How fantastic is it that such a monumental event in mankind's history is not recorded by anyone except by the people who claim it was the work of their God? Unless you are saying people who thought the value of pi = 3 were superior historians to the Chinese? Well maybe if their eyes weren't scrunched up all the time.. :p :D

But - How does this particular miracle change our faith in any way - true or false? I have consistently maintained that I could not prove the creation story and I only believe it because it does not conflict with the evidence I see around me.

What evidence do you see around you that supports your belief in creation?

If you can show a better theory - I'll listen. What difference does it make whether Moses died or not. Do you wish to believe he is still alive? I guess it doesn't really matter, does it?

Well since he apparently descended to some hill and spoke with Elijah and Jesus, I am guessing he is dead.. I don't know how man came here and I don't think that knowledge will benefit me if I were to find out this moment so I don't particularly care. And of course it matters: can a dead man record his own death?

Quick question:
Exodus 3:1 (also 18:1)
Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian...

Numbers 10:29 (also Judges 4:11)
And Moses said unto Hobab, the son of Raguel the Midianite, Moses' father in law...

Who is Moses' father in law?. You only get one answer.

Exodus 11:3
Moreover, the man Moses was very great in the land of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 34:10
And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses…

Numbers 12:3
Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.

Was Moses proud or meek when writing about himself?

Deuteronomy 34:5-8
So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD, and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-pe'or; but no man knows the place of his burial to this day. Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died; his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. And the people of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days; then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

"To this day" implies a long time had passed. The most damning contradiction is first, the author tells us where Moses was buried and then contradicts and says no one knows the place of his buried. If so, then how did he know where Moses was buried? If it was Moses then why did he embellish his physical state at time of death?

Just thoughts on Mr. Moses.

No, I just think the predestination thing has to do with something other than salvation so don't try to use predestination to apply to those who have been, or will be saved.

I was actually referring to the let two or three witnesses establish every matter and how throughout the Bible there are NUMEROUS examples where this is not the case. Note: As I said earlier, the very fact that NONE of the Gospel writers were in any way witnesses means that you cannot in your honesty and agreement with the Bible use the New Testament to determine the deity of Jesus.

I think there is a higher calling. I have found that the Christian path is composed of milestones. We start as a part of the church, the Body of Christ. There are those who become part of the bride of Christ, and then there are those who go on to become Sons of God. My reading makes me think (my opinion) that these three are not all the same thing. As the woman came out of the man yet is still a part of the man, so the bride comes out of the church but is still a part of the church. To take this a little further, the son comes out of the bride, so the Sons of God come out of the Bride of Christ. Body, Bride, Son. Paul calls these three steps (and there may be more I don't know of) being Called, Justified and Glorified. Jesus describes how we achieve these three steps - Ask and you shall receive, Seek and you shall find, Knock and it will be opened unto you. Ask, Seek, Knock. We also see these three steps in the three stories of women in the bible (next to Christ, we or the church is represented by a woman) first Ruth, then Esther, and finally Mary. The three are also represented in the three 40 year parts of Moses life, and in the three Kings of Israel: Saul, which means asked for, David, which means Beloved, and Solomon, which means Peace. The bible, especially the OT, is full of pictures and representations (the events were real but God made them also representative of the walk of true believers) to help us along the way. Not having achieved all these steps myself, I can only offer my opinion about these matters while Jesus, and presumably Paul, had more knowledge in these matters. I am still seeking for answers, as I presume I will do all my life.

Anyway, all my long-windedness aside, I think the predestination scriptures have to do with a higher calling and not with salvation itself.

All your "long-windedness aside" you still haven't provided any specific verses to substantiate any of this.

I use the word trivial to describe things I find with only one witness - perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I have tried to give a short description of what I do think these things mean - on which you may or may not agree with me. This is why these things may not be all that clear. In any case, these matters do not affect someone's ticket to heaven so if that is all you are worried about, you need not concern yourself with these matters. If, however, you wish a closer, more intimate relationship with your creator, you may wish to look into these things.

Supposedly God gives all wisdom when we ask for it (James 1) and as you mentioned earlier, we ask and it shall be given unto us. Somehow I failed to reconcile the discrepancies within the Bible despite my asking. Is that not an inconsistency?

thanks also Lori

well, ive got answers to everything ive asked, so this can be closed/flamed/continue as everyone else sees fit

Please note that the bible does not support the concept of hell as described in this thread. Hell is the grave - death. The bible talks of two deaths. The first death is the grave and everyone dies. After that you are judged and those who fail are cast into the lake of fire to be permamently destroyed - i.e. your spirit is destroyed. The bible does not support the idea of eternal torture and torment. Satan is simply another victim.

Cris said:
Please note that the bible does not support the concept of hell as described in this thread. Hell is the grave - death. The bible talks of two deaths. The first death is the grave and everyone dies. After that you are judged and those who fail are cast into the lake of fire to be permamently destroyed - i.e. your spirit is destroyed. The bible does not support the idea of eternal torture and torment. Satan is simply another victim.

This is disputed. You believe this. But I fail to see it as a clear teaching that "hell" is annihilation. If I KNEW that's what the Bible taught, then I would have found Christianity more palatable. From my understanding, annihilation has been a minority position in Christian thought.

Back