How is faith in God attained?

I don't know exactly why some recieve and others don't, do you?

James 2:5
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
NKJV

So the key is to be poor.

IceAge, are Rama and Krishna from Hinduism made up fairly tails? They must be, right, since only the Bible is true.

Rama was a real guy, who died, so was Krishna, Rama live circa 2000 B.C., and Krishna circa 1500 B.C. (when the first Dwarka was submerged by the sea with the end of the Ice Age).

If Thomas, an apostle who had witnessed up close and personal the thousands of truly law defying, unbelievable miracles of Jesus, could not believe that Jesus rose from the dead, then how the hell is anyone else supposed to believe that?

When told that Jesus rose from the dead, Thomas said, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."

This is an apostle talking here. Not a skeptical atheist. Not a scientist. An apostle, in this case, wanted hard evidence and proof that Jesus was really who he said he was.

Of course, Thomas' request for proof was answered, and he did in fact see the risen body of Jesus up close and got the evidence he was looking for. Unfortunately, the other billions of people in the world don't have that luxury. Instead of seeing thousands of law defying miracles of Jesus up close, we simply have to take the word of, sometimes "zombie" like Christians who claim a book called the Bible is actually true, 2,000 years after the fact.

So I don't consider anyone who witnessed a miracle of Jesus, or multiple miracles, to have true "faith." Those people believed in something which they saw visibly with their eyes, and which they had clear and undoubtable proof of. Yet we, on the other hand, must believe in a book supposedly written 2000 years ago and which has no evidence or any sources supporting it. Does anyone else think this unfair?

If I was blind, and a man came up to me, touched my eyes, and made me see again, there is no doubt I would believe and have faith that that man is who he says he is. Of course, this wouldn't be true faith, would it? At what point does faith become knowledge?

When did Thomas receive his faith? Was it before or after he saw Jesus' previously dead body with holes in his hands up close.

Rama was a real guy, who died, so was Krishna, Rama live circa 2000 B.C., and Krishna circa 1500 B.C. (when the first Dwarka was submerged by the sea with the end of the Ice Age).

In Hinduism, Rama is also considered to be the Seventh Avatara of Vishnu and one of the most important manifestations of God

Most commonly within Hinduism, Krishna is worshipped as an avatar of Vishnu, who is considered as the Supreme God by the Vaishnava schools. Within Gaudiya Vaishnavism Krishna is worshipped as the source of all other avatars (including Vishnu).

You left the above info out. So do you believe the above info?

I think it was when He knew it was the resurrected Jesus.

And Jesus did say that the believers in the future would still come, by the Holy Spirit, to believe, without the benefit of eyewitness as Thomas had. You really should read the Bible nds1, you have so many questions which could easily be answered if you'd just do it, please do, or do some googling, you're like a second grader asking "are we there yet?"

How did the disciples attain faith in Jesus?

Simple, they saw him. The verse below is about Jesus turning water into wine.

John 2:11
11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.
NKJV

It's really a simple process. See a miracle, and believe. The miracle is the basis for belief that Jesus was the Son of God. In fact, Jesus' miracles were the sole reason anyone believed he was who he said he was.

Of course, now we only have 4 books, only two of which were allegedly written by eyewitnesses, of Jesus and his miracles. That's it.

Reading a book which has no outside sources backing it up and actually seeing Jesus perform miracles live are bit different. One provides a solid basis for having faith. The other, well, not so much.

And Jesus did say that the believers in the future would still come, by the Holy Spirit, to believe, without the benefit of eyewitness as Thomas had.

Which is easier to believe in. A 2,000 year old, vague, catholic corrupted book, or a live miracle from Jesus? Or how about seeing Moses part the red sea, or turn his staff into a snake? Those would suffice as well.

Every belief needs a basis for belief. Does it not? John agrees:

John 20

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;

31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

So the basis for faith in Jesus today is on the credibility of the gospels which proclaimed the miracles of Jesus.

The best answer from IceAge yet!

I don't know

Should have stopped right there and then! Cause it shows, you don't know much, you just have faith you are right, but truly deep down, YOU DON'T KNOW!
;)

Is it beyond your capacity to see that this is circular? That it relies only on "faith" of what is writen, that there's no evidence of that message to be true, only that the source claims to be the word of god and it's truth!

Yes I've read your non-serquitus non sense, perhaps now you can make a logical argument without the circular context.

You have been blinded:

1 Corrinthians 4
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I find the last part of your statement interesting. "Faulty humans".. You know, humans did not create themselves to be 'faulty'. The only one that can be blamed for a faulty creation is the creator. Any reason why he made faulty beings?

For those who are open to the answer:

God created man and man was good. God did not create man faulty but created man as acceptable to Him. Man decided to join satan in his rebellion by taking on the knowledge of good and evil, at this point man because faulty human beings. Not before.

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. XXX; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful" (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).

IceAge, Adstar, Photizaon, etc.:

You don't believe in Purgatory, yet the Catholic Church says it was inspired by the Holy Spirit to teach about purgatory.

Do you have faith that the statement above is true about purgatory?

The Message of Jesus:

Salvation through agreement with God and reliance on God. Rather than salvation by achieving the will of God, an imposable task for faulty humans.

So if we agree with the message above, then we have faith in God?

Sorry Adstar, but agreeing with the message above assumes that a God exists. So you need faith in order to agree with the message, you don't get faith by agreeing with the message.

That would be the equivalent of:

nds1: Adstar, how can I attain faith in God?
Adstar: You must agree with the Word of God.
nds: But in order to agree with the word of God, I must first have faith that a God exists.
Adstar: ?

You have the cart before the horse.

The message itself leads one to believe that God exists. As the scriptures says faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

You are very wrong about having to have faith first to believe the message. Its the message that inspires faith.

On what basis do you agree with the message?

Is it logically sound?
Does it sound truthful?

It's awesome.

It's a secret to those who need it most...

God blinded us to the truth?

'Cause god blinded us?

So we can be kept in the dark forever?

God can decide to blind those who hate the truth but have pleasure in unrighteousness. If your heart is in agreement with evil then yes God can blind you to the truth that saves.

Search yourself... what do you approve.

Unshakeable faith. Not a hint of comprehending the circular nature that underlies all of religion.

I'm happy for you. I hear that sedated people are very happy. It's tempting to just give in...

It's not circular. It starts with the message. We either believe it or we don't. We either accept it or we don't. We either spend eternity with God or we don't.

And yes i am very Happy with a peace of mind that is just perfect. :)

The Message of Jesus:

Salvation through agreement with God and reliance on God. Rather than salvation by achieving the will of God, an impossible task for faulty humans.

So we don't have to actually achieve the will of God, we just have to agree with it.

If the message is that we are saved by agreeing with God, what exactly are we agreeing with him about?

Back