How is faith in God attained?

Nds1, Christianity is reflected in the Bible, not in Catholic add-ons, which are anathema according to Revelation.

These are holy men who claimed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit.

You claim that were outright lying. On what basis do you believe this? If they said that they were guided by the Holy Spirit, then what makes you think they weren't?

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. XXX; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful" (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).

IceAge, Adstar, Photizaon, etc.:

You don't believe in Purgatory, yet the Catholic Church says it was inspired by the Holy Spirit to teach about purgatory.

Do you have faith that the statement above is true about purgatory?

No i do not believe in purgatory and i do not recognise the religion of catholisism as Christian. The catholic church was born out of spiritual harlotry between false christians and the emperor constantine.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

No i do not believe in purgatory and i do not recognise the religion of catholisism as Christian. The catholic church was born out of spiritual harlotry between false christians and the emperor constantine.

I thought Constantine was the one who legalized Christianity in general.

Instead of seeing thousands of law defying miracles of Jesus up close, we simply have to take the word of, sometimes "zombie" like Christians who claim a book called the Bible is actually true, 2,000 years after the fact.

1. Yes, you are living 2,000 years "after the fact." You cannot change that. The veracity of the Bible is independent of the timing of your birth.

2. "'zombie' like Christians"? Be careful - thou art ranting like a "zombie" like atheist/agnostic.

3. Since you showed up "2,000 years after the fact," you have the choice of either believing or disbelieving the written accounts of "law defying miracles of Jesus." Lamenting about the timing of your birth relative to Biblical events is a red herring.

The Message of Jesus:

Salvation through agreement with God and reliance on God. Rather than salvation by achieving the will of God, an impossible task for faulty humans.

So we don't have to actually achieve the will of God, we just have to agree with it.

If the message is that we are saved by agreeing with God, what exactly are we agreeing with him about?

We are agreeing with the Will of God in relation to sin.

We are agreeing with God that He is right and justified to be The one and only God of all creation.

We are agreeing with God that we are unworthy of eternity with Him.

We are embracing the gift of forgiveness that God has provided to us via the atoning act of the Messiah Jesus.

We are agreeing that the only way we could have eternity with God is via the forgiveness of God. That Eternity with God is based on an act of mercy from a forgiving God upon a repentant humanity rather than an act of a rewarding God upon a worthy humanity.

And all that came before was pure for what reason?

You just gave some reasoned arguments for why you do not accept catholicism. Can you give a reasoned argument for why all that you currently believe in is pure?

Because much of catholic dogma runs counter to what is in the Bible. There actions and teachings down through the ages marks them clearly as being in rebellion against the Will of the Messiah Jesus. If people took the time to read the Words of Jesus they could clearly see how the catholic church has justified actions and taught beliefs that run counter to the teachings of the Messiah Jesus. The One whom they claim to follow.

1 Cor 14:34-35
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

1 Tim 2:11-15
Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.

And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

IceAge or Adstar, I read the Bible like you suggested and ran across this. Do you agree with Paul about the role of women in life. He was also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I thought Constantine was the one who legalized Christianity in general.

lol He "legalized it" because he and the forces behind him wanted to conform it to their needs. They found willing false christians who would bow to the will of the state rather than keep themselves separate from the Kings of this world and remain loyal to the King of Kings the Messiah Jesus.

Nds1 Why did you introduce this topic of the catholic church into this discussion?

Nds1 Why did you introduce this topic of the catholic church into this discussion?

Because many people have faith in the Catholic Doctrine. But apparantly, they are mistaken.

Adstar, what if I read the Bhagavad Vita and thought that it was awesome, and so I had faith in the Hindu God. Would I still go to hell?

Because many people have faith in the Catholic Doctrine. But apparantly, they are mistaken.

Adstar, what if I read the Bhagavad Vita and thought that it was awesome, and so I had faith in the Hindu God. Would I still go to hell?

Well i believe the most important belief is the belief that we hold in our minds at the moment of our death. So whatever you believe now might have no bearing on your destination if you change your mind to what is truth before you die.

1 Cor 14:34-35
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

1 Tim 2:11-15
Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.

And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

IceAge or Adstar, I read the Bible like you suggested and ran across this. Do you agree with Paul about the role of women in life. He was also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

It is the role of woman in the body of the faith. And yes i believe that Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

IceAgeCivilizations said:
Many of the Catholic teachings plainly contradict Biblical doctrine.

The Bibilcal Doctrine is to follow the Holy Ghost.

That's exactly what the Catholic Church has done. Where is the contradiciton?

IceAge,

Can you summarize the teachings of Jesus in the Bible for me in about one paragraph, if possible?

Well i believe the most important belief is the belief that we hold in our minds at the moment of our death. So whatever you believe now might have no bearing on your destination if you change your mind to what is truth before you die.

Bhagavad Vita - Ch. 8 vs. 5
One who remembers Me at the moment of death, relinquishing the body ascends and achieves My nature. There is certainly no doubt about this.

Adstar, you may want to consider switching to Hinduism.

IceAge,

How about the golden rule: Treat others like you want to be treated.

Jesus said this right?

Oh, that's right. That was Confucious. Too bad he's in hell now.

Back