How do you feel about people who kill animals for the sheer fun of it?

Nay, sociopathy isn't human nature. If it were, then most of us would be "naturally" occuring sociopaths. Well, it just so happens that those demented little freakazoids (such as yourself) happen to be in the a teeny little minority, while most of the rest of us are healthy, normal-acting people. Way to go, junior hitler. :jason:
In normal society, such tendencies are supressed, they have to be. However, the lie is revealed when we consider how many people go to war, and how many of them find a kind of thrill at the task, even people who led otherwise perfectly normal lives previously.

Babe, those people are not really the kind of people we invite over for tea. They're not representative of average human beings.
That's called denial. Human beings are violent and some of them enjoy it. It's a hard fact to wrap our heads around, but there it is.

Reference:
First Kill (2001) (Vietnam War Documentary)

In this state, you only need a license to carry a concealed weapon.

Would this be illegal to carry in your state ?

MG2003_2.jpg

Magnum Collection 2003
Total length: 32cm (12.6 inch)
Blade length: 18.3cm (7.2 inch)
Weight: 350g
Razor sharp !

:D

Last edited:
In normal society, such tendencies are supressed, they have to be. However, the lie is revealed when we consider how many people go to war, and how many of them find a kind of thrill at the task, even people who led otherwise perfectly normal lives previously.

That's called denial. Human beings are violent and some of them enjoy it. It's a hard fact to wrap our heads around, but there it is.

Reference:
First Kill (2001) (Vietnam War Documentary)

Spidergoat, the TRUTH is revealed when we go to war. Nobody likes going to war, except for demented lunatics and machoist wannabes like yourself. If that were untrue, then we wouldn't had so much civil unrest during the Viet Nam war. It was the Draft in the 60's and 70's that caused outrage and protest, because no one wanted to be forced into fighting a needless conflict that could potentially result in their own deaths. The two world wars that ravaged Europe were not enjoyable experiences for almost anyone. Neither was the American Civil War. In every situation, every side was hoping for a speedy resolution to STOP the violence and killing, because it was destroying everyone's lives.

Methinks you need to get with the program here. Most of the people who have partipicated in wars over the last couple of thousand years were *forced* into that war because they were conscripted by their government or liege lord. The few bloodthirsty little piglets who started those wars are exceptions, and exceptions do not invalidate the rule. That's why they're called "exceptions."

You're wrong about that, and you're wrong about me. It's not true that nobody likes going to war, some people do, and there are more of them than can be accounted for by postulating a few "sociopaths". They aren't sociopathic towards their own society, just towards the enemy. Watch the documentary and see if you agree. Until then, I think you are being naive.

I don't think this way because I think it's a good thing, only because it's true.

What are you basing this perception on, exactly? Keep in mind that typical animals in the wild do not kill because it's a pleasureable experience. They avoid it. Leaving their domicile to kill something expends much needed food-energy, time, and it exposes them to dangers. This is why many predators have metabolisms designed to have long resting periods in between kills.

So I repeat... what are you basing this perception on? It may be your own somewhat twisted desires that you are projecting onto nature here, due to having been so far removed from it.

Ah yes, the man who has never been in nature, but claims to know so much about it. Hahaha, fool.

These people apparently lack the capacity to empathise with their victims. They see them as "things" rather than as sentient beings. Killing an animal is for them no different from breaking an inanimate object.

Great pop-psychology, there. You understand that joy in killing is BECAUSE it's alive, right? If it were really like breaking an inanimate object, they could all get off to breaking TVs and go home.

Since most human beings on the planet do not hunt, this "deep human need" seems confined to a minority. Which suggests to me that it's not really a deep human need at all.

Hunting, since the end of the stone age, has largely been the sport of the rich and wealthy. No one has the time to hunt because they're busy farming for tyrants. Using your same argument, I could say there's no deep seated need for security and full stomachs for Africans, since the majority of them are hungry and in a state of anarchy.

And what would be the evolutionary advantage of a "need" to kill for sport, in your opinion?

For what; other animals or humans? In either case, evolution has found a way to get organisms to do things that are good for passing on genes by making it enjoyable.

Perhaps. Can you think of any reason why killing a man would be "worse" than killing a cow, which might be "worse" than killing a fish?

He's got friends.

Really? You seem very knowledgable about vegetarians. How many do you know? Where did you get your information?

And you seem really knowledgable about hunters. How many do you know? Where did you get your information?

Would you have a problem with killing a human being, if that human "didn't go to waste"? If so, why the double standard?

Hey look, an argument from feelings!! Cool!

Almost no animals behave in the way you just described. Snakes don't choke mammals because it's pleasurable. Birds don't bite worms because it's pleasurable. Most predators in fact *avoid* killing, if it isn't a foodkill. If that were untrue, then we would see sharks biting people on sight. Shark attacks are very rare, however, and whenever it takes place, it is a case of a mistaken identity for a seal.

I totally disagree. I would argue that animals do just about everything entirely based on pleasure/pain. They lack any ability to think "huh, I need to do X so I can survive," and then proceed without emotion (or in spite of feelings). Most animals have very little capability to think like humans do, yet pretty much all mammals can feel pleasure and pain (based on what we know about neurons and neurochemicals).

The whole argument that it is "natural" for humans to kill animals for fun is an example of the [enc]appeal to nature[/enc] logical fallacy that assumes that everything "natural" must be good. That's even assuming that it is, in fact, "human nature" to kill for fun - an arguable point on its own.

I don't think that's the argument here, James. Saven is claiming that enjoying killing is aberrant, which it is not.

Killing an animal for sheer sport and without any physical need is not only a great injustice, it is a breach of the covenant between God and man's right to live on this Earth. Furthermore, not only killing, but imprisoning creatures is also against the natural order of things. Imprisoning rodents, birds, and other animals against their will for the mere pleasure of humans is a great injustice. God shall judge humanity considering the transgressions which they commit against fellow men, animals, plant life, and even the air and soil.

It's a good thing god doesn't exist, then.

You're making it sound like it is almost orgasmic for them to that. It isn't, and even cats don't bathe in the blood of their prey or whatever weird nonsense it is that you're making up. They may get blood *on* them, but they don't roll around the dead thing's carcass and purr.

You've never seen a bear on a kill, have you?

Survival is always number one.

How does an animal handle such abstract thought about survival?
It doesn't.
Animals do things because they enjoy doing it. They are incapable of any higher thought processes that would let them step back and do the math to figure out when the best time for them to cheat on their mate would be to maximize fitness.

And yet they do. Humans floating around at the surface of the oceanwater are easy prey for large sharks. They're defenseless and sharks don't know that humans intelligent, nor would it matter. They still avoid them. Hence, that idea is completely invalid. The same goes for almost all animals. Any example you can name (and you can't name any naturally occuring ones) will be far outnumbered by the animals who simply have no interest in that crappola.

Sharks have extremely primitive brains. I doubt they have much capability for the sort of pleasure/pain thought processes we mammals experience. Furthermore, they are ancient predators that simply don't recognize a human as prey. I bet they enjoy chasing and eating things, on a very basic level. Why else would they do it?

I've never heard of anyone enjoying killing trees. They are alive. We could enjoy killing them. But there's never been any selection for us to chase trees and think about a tree the way we think of a prey animal. Many, do, however, find great enjoyment in knowing the names of trees, and what they can be used for. This sort of knowledge was probably good back when we had to learn all the edible nuts in a forest, and those that enjoyed learning did better than those who couldn't be bothered.

A better example than sharks would be cuttlefish. Cuttlefish are known to hunt and kill when they aren't hungry, as they are super good predators, social, and highly intelligent (not just for a mollusc, either).

ere's an idea: instead of insisting that animals somehow find it pleasurable to kill, even though serves zero purpose from a survival standpoint, which is all that an animal in the wild is really concerned with, explain *why* they would find it pleasurable. Go ahead.

By that argument, pain serves zero survival purpose.

Can I kill people who are moronic, narrow minded, hostile, intolerant of difference, and don't really care about the world?

Of course. What's holding you back?

Spidergoat, the TRUTH is revealed when we go to war. Nobody likes going to war, except for demented lunatics and machoist wannabes like yourself. If that were untrue, then we wouldn't had so much civil unrest during the Viet Nam war. It was the Draft in the 60's and 70's that caused outrage and protest, because no one wanted to be forced into fighting a needless conflict that could potentially result in their own deaths. The two world wars that ravaged Europe were not enjoyable experiences for almost anyone. Neither was the American Civil War. In every situation, every side was hoping for a speedy resolution to STOP the violence and killing, because it was destroying everyone's lives.

Methinks you need to get with the program here. Most of the people who have partipicated in wars over the last couple of thousand years were *forced* into that war because they were conscripted by their government or liege lord. The few bloodthirsty little piglets who started those wars are exceptions, and exceptions do not invalidate the rule. That's why they're called "exceptions."

People aren't consistent with their feelings, because consistent feelings would lead to poor decisions, fitness wise.

Wars are extremely frequent. People are killing each other all the time. Anthropological research has shown that virtually all human societies are violent and full of murder. Yet we also don't like killing, because cooperation is very beneficial. Contradictory? Of course. Does work? Seems to have worked this far.

Ah yes, the man who has never been in nature, but claims to know so much about it. Hahaha, fool.

So, in your estimation, hutning is the only way to be "in" nature..? Kay...

I totally disagree. I would argue that animals do just about everything entirely based on pleasure/pain. They lack any ability to think "huh, I need to do X so I can survive," and then proceed without emotion (or in spite of feelings). Most animals have very little capability to think like humans do, yet pretty much all mammals can feel pleasure and pain (based on what we know about neurons and neurochemicals).

You're confusing the act of killing something and deriving pleasure from it h killing something and simply not feeling any guilt, remorse. Animals very generally fall into the secondary category. As for the first group, have you polled any animals recently on whether they find it joyful to kill? May I see it?

I don't think that's the argument here, James. Saven is claiming that enjoying killing is aberrant, which it is not.

Nay, I'm saying that pleasure-kills are aberrant. Big difference.

Animals do things because they enjoy doing it.

Or because they *need* to do it, or feel driven to do it in order to survive which is the typical case.

Sharks have extremely primitive brains. I doubt they have much capability for the sort of pleasure/pain thought processes we mammals experience. Furthermore, they are ancient predators that simply don't recognize a human as prey. I bet they enjoy chasing and eating things, on a very basic level. Why else would they do it?

That is my point. They don't find it fun to bite and kill humans, or they would be doing it way more.

What? It's a question. Exactly what about it, in your estimation, makes it enjoyable? Surely that's not a difficult question for you to answer.

People aren't consistent with their feelings, because consistent feelings would lead to poor decisions, fitness wise.

Wars are extremely frequent. People are killing each other all the time. Anthropological research has shown that virtually all human societies are violent and full of murder. Yet we also don't like killing, because cooperation is very beneficial. Contradictory? Of course. Does work? Seems to have worked this far.

Wars are frequent in foreign shitholes in Africa. On a more general basis, wars are not something that people like. The vast, vast, VAST majority of humans would prefer not to participate in ANY war. Wars aren't started by general populaces, however. They're started by bloodthirsty little piglets who go insane and then forcibly draft people into their service. Trust me... they'd rather not be there.

Also, the USA is hardly "full" of murder, when it takes place on a 1 out of a 100,000 person basis (look it up). We simply hear about it often because of the huge volume of people living here. It's very out of the norm, however.

So, in your estimation, hutning is the only way to be "in" nature..? Laffo.

You're confusing the act of killing something and deriving pleasure from it with killing something and simply not feeling any guilt, remorse. Animals very generally fall into the secondary category. As for the first group, have you polled any animals recently on whether they find it joyful to kill? May I see it?

Animals do things because they enjoy doing it.

Or because they *need* to do it, or feel driven to do it in order to survive which is the typical case. Animals enjoy surviving. That doesn't mean they enjoy the act of killing when it's not needed -- which is why most do not do that.

They don't find it fun to bite and kill humans, or they would be doing it way more. Maybe they're more primtiive... but it's mammals we're talking about, then predatorialness and killing among mammals occurs on a much less frequent basis than it does with other chordates.

What? It's a question. Exactly what about it, in your estimation, makes it enjoyable? Surely that's not a difficult question for you to answer. Pain has a practical and observable use. Pleasure-killings, as far as I know, have no use whatsoever. That's why they're done for "pleasure."

Wars are frequent in foreign shitholes like Africa. On a more general basis, wars are not something that people like. The vast, vast, VAST majority of humans would prefer not to participate in ANY war. Wars aren't started by general populaces, however. They're started by bloodthirsty little piglets who go insane and then forcibly draft people into their service. Trust me... they'd rather not be there.

Also, the USA is hardly "full" of murder, when it takes place on a 6 out of a 100,000 person basis (look it up). We simply hear about it often because of the huge volume of people living here. It's very out of the norm, however.

FACTUAL INFO: The world homicide rate is a mere 7.7 out of a 100,000 person victimized. So... yeah. LOL... lots of people like killing for pleasure, my ass.

Last edited:
So, in your estimation, hutning is the only way to be "in" nature..? Laffo.

No, it's just clear to me you've never spent a very long time around animals, of any sort.

You're confusing the act of killing something and deriving pleasure from it with killing something and simply not feeling any guilt, remorse.

No, I'm not. The only reason something will do something is if it is caused by something. Right? So what would cause an animal, in terms of our understanding of consciousness, to ever do something?

Explain the difference.

Or because they *need* to do it, or feel driven to do it in order to survive which is the typical case. Animals enjoy surviving. That doesn't mean they enjoy the act of killing when it's not needed -- which is why most do not do that.

Most animals don't kill simply because most other animals don't let themselves get killed. People who spend their whole life watching animals, like photographers for National Geographic, naturalists, or Discovery Channel cameramen will tell you that most of the time, big graphic, gory kills don't happen. Most of the time animals fail at killing other animals. This isn't the case for birds eating bugs and stuff, but bugs can almost be viewed as plankton, ecologically speaking.

Anyway, how would natural selection engineer this survival mechanism to do things that *need* to be done? For higher vertebrates with better abilities to discriminate, different actions need certain weights at certain times. If it is mating season, a successful animals should find more pleasure (ie, be more likely to) in finding a mate than satiating immediate needs, like being a little thirsty or hungry. When you get to things like people, we enjoy having sex, but we wear condoms, take pills, have copper tubes inserted in our cervixes, etc. I think big cats, dogs, and other animals work sort of like that. They are internally rewarded for killing, since most of the time any chance for a kill that arises, they need to take it. A cheetah or a lion can't really skip out on a gazelle and eat a tofu-burger later. They are dedicated carnivores, so need a high weight to increase the likelihood that they will give up other activities and chase and eat or hide and eat. In other words, they must find killing pleasurable.

They don't find it fun to bite and kill humans, or they would be doing it way more.

What is the relevance? Sharks probably love the feeling of sinking their teeth into a seal or a dolphin or perhaps a tasty fish.

I also see you ignored the part about the cuttlefish. Why?

Maybe they're more primtiive... but it's mammals we're talking about, then predatorialness and killing among mammals occurs on a much less frequent basis than it does with other chordates.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Mammals, with primates at the top, are probably the biggest bunch of murdering psychopaths on the planet.

What? It's a question. Exactly what about it, in your estimation, makes it enjoyable? Surely that's not a difficult question for you to answer.

Enjoyment in killing encourages animals to kill more. For predators that subsist largely off of only the prey they catch, they need a lot of encouragement (ie pleasure) to ignore having to run hard in the hot sun and deal with quills and hoofs and bites. Otherwise they won't get a meal

Wars are frequent in foreign shitholes like Africa. On a more general basis, wars are not something that people like. The vast, vast, VAST majority of humans would prefer not to participate in ANY war. Wars aren't started by general populaces, however. They're started by bloodthirsty little piglets who go insane and then forcibly draft people into their service. Trust me... they'd rather not be there.

Also, the USA is hardly "full" of murder, when it takes place on a 1 out of a 100,000 person basis (look it up). We simply hear about it often because of the huge volume of people living here. It's very out of the norm, however.

We're talking about humans as animals, and, as animals, we are extremely prone to violence. Murder rates have also gone down in the West simply because you can fill someone with bullets and modern medicine will put them back together. Here's an article on adjusted murder rates: http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/14515

Also note all the extremely bad things that happen to murderers. It is surprising that murders happen at all, given how shitty it is to be a felon in the US. If you remove the disincentives from people, they go about murdering each other.

Given the numbers in the article, within 60 years, between 1 and 1.5% of a population would be murdered, given 1960s medical technology. That is a huge proportion, given that most animals, even social ones, don't kill each other, ever. Except primates, who we are very closely related to. Note that this is with 1960s medical technology- antibiotics, surgery, knowledge of human anatomy, highly specialized doctors. If it weren't for medicine, the murder rate would likely be many times higher. "Modern" stone age tribes that have been studied by anthropologists have murder rates hundreds of times higher than that of modern Americans!

As for the case of war- how do you draft someone who doesn't want to do something, if most people don't want to do it? People let themselves be controlled. Look at all the people on this board who are like "please, take my freedom, I can't handle it." People support war- otherwise it wouldn't happen. What do you think patriotism is about? Or liking sports? Or being on a team? Have you ever seen how psychotic suburbanites get over their kids' soccer games? Humans are hardwired to form groups and violently opposed others. Look at the thousand pages of heated debate between nerds in the Star Wars vs. Star Trek thread. In every facet of life, people are forming groups to oppose other groups, and, when there aren't enough disincentives, they'll kill each other over it.

No, it's just clear to me you've never spent a very long time around animals, of any sort.

You'd be wrong there because I've had dogs all my life.

No, I'm not. The only reason something will do something is if it is caused by something Right? So what would cause an animal, in terms of our understanding of consciousness, to ever do something?

The need to eat, the need to drink, the need sleep, the need to groom, the need to avoid danger, and the list goes on and on. Out of these things, eating probably affords the animal the most "pleasure." However, it is not the activity of killing that is making the animal joyful. It is the eating. Killing isn't equal to eating. One is a result of the other.

Explain the difference.

Between killing and pleasure-killing? Kay. One's for pleasure, the other is not.
Most animals don't kill simply because most other animals don't let themselves get killed. People who spend their whole life watching animals, like photographers for National Geographic, naturalists, or Discovery Channel cameramen will tell you that most of the time, big graphic, gory kills don't happen. Most of the time animals fail at killing other animals. This isn't the case for birds eating bugs and stuff, but bugs can almost be viewed as plankton, ecologically speaking.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Anyway, how would natural selection engineer this survival mechanism to do things that *need* to be done? For higher vertebrates with better abilities to discriminate, different actions need certain weights at certain times. If it is mating season, a successful animals should find more pleasure (ie, be more likely to) in finding a mate than satiating immediate needs, like being a little thirsty or hungry. When you get to things like people, we enjoy having sex, but we wear condoms, take pills, have copper tubes inserted in our cervixes, etc. I think big cats, dogs, and other animals work sort of like that. They are internally rewarded for killing, since most of the time any chance for a kill that arises, they need to take it. A cheetah or a lion can't really skip out on a gazelle and eat a tofu-burger later. They are dedicated carnivores, so need a high weight to increase the likelihood that they will give up other activities and chase and eat or hide and eat. In other words, they must find killing pleasurable.

We already know that sex is pleasurable for animals. That's why they do it. We don't know that killing is pleasurable, however. We know that *eating* is pleasurable for animals. That's why they kill: to eat. And certainly animals are smart enough to know that in order to eat something, it is easier if it is first killed. The result of the activity of killing -- eating -- is the source of pleasure here, not the killing itself.

What is the relevance? Sharks probably love the feeling of sinking their teeth into a seal or a dolphin or perhaps a tasty fish.

I also see you ignored the part about the cuttlefish. Why?

That's just the eating thing again. I don't know anything about cuttlefish but from a brief look-up I don't see anything like what you're describing. Care to expound?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Mammals, with primates at the top, are probably the biggest bunch of murdering psychopaths on the planet.

Really they're not, they just happen to be way more pre-eminent in our lives than other animals because we are mammals too. However, insects are way more brutal than mammals.

Enjoyment in killing encourages animals to kill more. For predators that subsist largely off of only the prey they catch, they need a lot of encouragement (ie pleasure) to ignore having to run hard in the hot sun and deal with quills and hoofs and bites. Otherwise they won't get a meal

Eating is encouragement enough because it decides whether they'll live or die. What you just described is not a pleasurable experience, by the way. It's causing them pain and needed food energy. Killing for pleasure is inefficient, because it does not help them to survive.

We're talking about humans as animals, and, as animals, we are extremely prone to violence.

Not as compared to most predators in the world. It should also be noted that most of the murderers that we have here in the USA ( and they are few in respect to the general population ) are not doing so out because they find it joyful. They do it in order to obtain material gain or to quell some brief moment of mania. The few who kill for pleasure are usually serial killers, and there are scant few of them running around in the USA at any given time. The estimate is about 35 at any given time. Out of 300 million people, that truly is nothing.

That's not correct. Very generally, my definition of when something is wrong is if it hurts somebody (or someone) who never did a single bad thing to hurt anybody, for no practical reason at all. There are caveats and tweaks to that, but that's the most general definition that I have. It's not to do with an emotional response. Try to avoid making assumptions about people's basis of reasoning.
There you go, it's your OPINION. Morality is not objective or universal, it is an opinion and if you cannot see that, then you are truly the one who is ignorant.
Why, then, can't you prove it? Don't just elaborate on a whole lotta nonsense and go into some silly ethereal tangent that no one except yourself could possibly appreciate. Show us actual proof that right/wrong is not universal. Go ahead. Do it.
What? Prove a negative? The burden of proof is on you, not me, since you are the one making a claim. This is like if you said there was a giant invisible banana in the sky and I said there wasn't, and you asked me to prove it.

REMINDER: the fact that people act differently in the same situation isn't proof. It just means that some people are more willing to violate what is right when given the opportunity and allow their selfishness to overtake their principles.
How can you demonstrate to us that morals exist? Go ahead. Do it.

Ah, but you can't. Because morals are an opinion, just like art.

The need to eat, the need to drink, the need sleep, the need to groom, the need to avoid danger, and the list goes on and on. Out of these things, eating probably affords the animal the most "pleasure." However, it is not the activity of killing that is making the animal joyful. It is the eating. Killing isn't equal to eating. One is a result of the other.

Do you think animals have that level of causality?

Between killing and pleasure-killing? Kay. One's for pleasure, the other is not.

Then why would an animal kill if it didn't enjoy it? You can only get an animal to kill something without pleasure (some sort of reward stimulus) if a) it is a robot incapable of feeling or b) afford it higher mental states which we have no evidence for.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

It has to do with the fact that the vast majority of kills any animal will perform, that you will witness from the comfiness of your comfy chair in your comfy house, while you declare that all animals are snuggly and lovely and wouldn't get great joy from crushing the life out of you, are all kills of necessity. The same way we can conclude that a poor African doesn't like reading books, because he is illiterate.

I'm surprised you've grown up with dogs, and never seen how much they like to kill stuff. You've never seen a pack of dogs frenzy over a rabbit or something?

We already know that sex is pleasurable for animals. That's why they do it.

Then why would they kill?

And certainly animals are smart enough to know that in order to eat something, it is easier if it is first killed.

Good luck with proving that one.

That's just the eating thing again. I don't know anything about cuttlefish but from a brief look-up I don't see anything like what you're describing. Care to expound?

I was doing some research on animal intelligence a couple weeks ago, and found a paper that claimed that cuttlefish will kill when they are not hungry (just like lions, tigers, or canines). I cannot find it, unfortunately.

Really they're not, they just happen to be way more pre-eminent in our lives than other animals because we are mammals too. However, insects are way more brutal than mammals.

This isn't a matter of brutality, it's a matter of whether or not animals enjoy killing other animals. Insects probably have no capacity for feeling, so are N/A when it comes to enjoying hunting and stuff.

Eating is encouragement enough because it decides whether they'll live or die. What you just described is not a pleasurable experience, by the way. It's causing them pain and needed food energy. Killing for pleasure is inefficient, because it does not help them to survive.

I am saying that they kill because it is pleasurable. That it has a benefit- it won't die- is the reason why that certain behavior persists. The best killers will be those that derive some satisfaction from it. If you hesitate, you aren't going to be good at it. Why do you think dogs like running and biting and tearing things up? Because they hate your furniture? No, because it's all mock-kill actions. If they could get their mouth around a live, squawking hen, with hot blood on their tongue, they would go nuts.

Inefficiencies exist all over the place in the animal world. Cats will kill for pleasure, when they aren't hungry, because making a mistake- killing when you aren't hungry, is less costly than not killing when you are hungry. What is the best way to ensure that an animal kills all the time? Make it enjoy killing.

Not as compared to most predators in the world. It should also be noted that most of the murderers that we have here in the USA ( and they are few in respect to the general population ) are not doing so out because they find it joyful. They do it in order to obtain material gain or to quell some brief moment of mania.

I won't even bother asking for numbers. I'll just say- why would you do something if you didn't want to do it? Remorse, by the way, doesn't count. Doing something and then being sorry about it is very, very different than simply not doing something. In one case, enough environmental stimuli caused an animal to behave in a certain way. In the other case, the environmental stimuli resulted in no reaction.

The few who kill for pleasure are usually serial killers, and there are scant few of them running around in the USA at any given time. The estimate is about 35 at any given time. Out of 300 million people, that truly is nothing.

Yeah, all those men who murdered their cheating wives coldly picked up the gun and fired it without emotion. :rolleyes:

There was an NPR program on a few years ago about one of the lost boys of Sudan. He was talking about how he liked stabbing people with the bayonet on his AK-47. He wasn't an outlier case, either. Most of his generation, what should have been normal young men, raised in an African village, found out that killing people wasn't actually that bad, and that, given the right circumstance, enjoyed it.

Do you think animals have that level of causality?

Yes. Believe it or not, animals can also remember things. Who woulda thunk it.

Then why would an animal kill if it didn't enjoy it? You can only get an animal to kill something without pleasure (some sort of reward stimulus) if a) it is a robot incapable of feeling or b) afford it higher mental states which we have no evidence for.

Or (c) it allows the animal to eat.

I'm surprised you've grown up with dogs, and never seen how much they like to kill stuff. You've never seen a pack of dogs frenzy over a rabbit or something?

Hm, nope. My jack russell terrier kills rodents all the time, though. She doesn't enjoy it at all. She gets frustrated while she tries to get them. She wants them gone. It's a territorial defense thing. Have you grown up with dogs?

Then why would they kill?

To eat? This grows tiresome.

Good luck with proving that one.

Please, we got FRUIT FLIES who can remember what kind of fruit they were hatched on top of. When given a choice, the inidividual flies will migrate toward the type of fruit that they were born seeing. If fruit flies are smart enough to recognize food, then so are just about any animal. Animals are way smarter than you're giving them credit for.

I was doing some research on animal intelligence a couple weeks ago, and found a paper that claimed that cuttlefish will kill when they are not hungry (just like lions, tigers, or canines). I cannot find it, unfortunately.

K.

I am saying that they kill because it is pleasurable. That it has a benefit- it won't die- is the reason why that certain behavior persists. The best killers will be those that derive some satisfaction from it. If you hesitate, you aren't going to be good at it. Why do you think dogs like running and biting and tearing things up? Because they hate your furniture? No, because it's all mock-kill actions. If they could get their mouth around a live, squawking hen, with hot blood on their tongue, they would go nuts.

You don't know that, though. How can you say that the best killers are those that derive pleasure/satisfaction/whatever, without first being able to demonstrate that they do indeed derive pleasure. Also: puppies gnaw furniture, not grown dogs. They do it because they aren't getting enough attention from their irresponsible owner and because their teeth hurt.

Inefficiencies exist all over the place in the animal world. Cats will kill for pleasure, when they aren't hungry, because making a mistake- killing when you aren't hungry, is less costly than not killing when you are hungry. What is the best way to ensure that an animal kills all the time? Make it enjoy killing.

They exist but they're minimized. This would be one of those things. Hence, it is not favored by nature, which is what the argument is truly about. You're assuming that if the act of killing is itself not pleasurable, then the animal will go hungry because they won't kill. What basis is there for that assumption? Animals kill for food. It's a fact. Deal.

I won't even bother asking for numbers. I'll just say- why would you do something if you didn't want to do it?

Because the later reward outweight the momentary pain of doing it, in the eyes of the killer.

Yeah, all those men who murdered their cheating wives coldly picked up the gun and fired it without emotion. :rolleyes:

All those men? More events that take place on a remote basis. Why am I not surprised? They do it out of anger, not out of enjoyment.

There was an NPR program on a few years ago about one of the lost boys of Sudan. He was talking about how he liked stabbing people with the bayonet on his AK-47. He wasn't an outlier case, either. Most of his generation, what should have been normal young men, raised in an African village, found out that killing people wasn't actually that bad, and that, given the right circumstance, enjoyed it.

He sounds like an outlier for sure. I don't believe this information, that most of his generation in African villages have gone on record saying that they enjoy killing other human beings. That's ludicrous, and a worldwide poll that asked such a question would completely invalidate it. Exceptions are not the rule. That's why they're called "exceptions." In a world with 6.5 billion people, you can find a group who will say just about ANYTHING.

Because I have them. Proven.

That's a fairly pathetic argument. The fact that you have morals does not mean that morality is objective or universal. It simply means you have an opinion.

That you have an opinion, is a fact. However, the opinions themselves are not facts.

I also have a set of morals, and it differs from your set of morals, and other people around the world have different sets of morals. Some people have no sense of morals. Who is right and wrong?

No one, because morals are opinions. Morality is subjective. If you cannot see that, then it is you that needs to think more, not me.

And making references to my age does not help your argument at all; in fact it makes you seem weak, as you have nothing better to do.

There is a common, basic set of morals that you will find that has developed in almost all societies around the world, including nations that developed in isolation. There are deviations and disagreements here and there, and there are psychopaths here and there... but such people developed badly and do not fall within the norm. The fact of the matter is that there is a a common set of morals that governs most societies and they have the same general pattern among all of them. Not killing unprovoked. Not sexually molesting children. Etc. These are values that are hardwired into our brain, and things that deep down inside we *feel* to be wrong. It's our biology telling us that. We felt it ever since we were living in caves: it is more productive to cooperate with each other than to kill each other. It is healthier to be compassionate than to be cruel and demented.

Such values *are* universal, and that is why the vast, vast, VAST majority practices them. Those who don't are not somehow proving that morals don't exist. They're simply showing that they either developed badly or put their own individual selfishness before their principles. Now, shoo.

By the way, what you asked was to prove that morals existed. I did that.

There is a common, basic set of morals that you will find that has developed in almost all societies around the world, including nations that developed in isolation. There are deviations and disagreements here and there, and there are psychopaths here and there... but such people developed badly and do not fall within the norm. The fact of the matter is that there is a a common set of morals that governs most societies and they have the same general pattern among all of them.
I agree, and this is due to psychology. However morals are still not universal nor objective. Someone can come along at any time and disagree, and no one can say "your'e wrong"

This is similar to saying that since an entire society and in fact, many societies, say the color blue is best, that indeed blue is the best color. This is not true, since someone can disagree at any time, and the society never proved their claim in the first place.

Try again. What you're saying is that the species has alot in common in their subjective view of morals, not that morals are themselves objective.

Such values *are* universal,
Proof? Real proof, not just "well alot of people say so". That is meaningless in science.

and that is why the vast, vast, VAST majority practices them. Those who don't are not somehow proving that morals don't exist. They're simply showing that they either developed badly or put their own individual selfishness before their principles. Now, shoo.
Again, you aren't proving that objective morals exist. Only that alot of people agree on morals.

By the way, what you asked was to prove that morals existed. I did that.
Not objective morals. Prove to me that there is a single universal and objective moral code. Real, scientific proof.

Back