How artery blockages can be prevented?

It should. It works excellently in cell cultures and we use it to collect unclotted blood samples by using EDTA coated tubes that bind calcium making it unavailable for the clotting cascade.

However serum calcium is maintained very strictly within a range by a collaboration between vitamin D and parathyroid hormone, so you should not feel adverse effects from it (within limits)
Instead of saying serum calcium I should have said intercellular calcium...because it only becomes a problem after entering a weakened cell in toxic quantities.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation_therapy#Heart_disease

"Some alternative practitioners use chelation to treat hardening of the arteries. The original theory behind calcium chelation therapy was that EDTA forms a complex with the calcium in the walls of arteries.

Drawbacks with this theory include EDTA's inability to penetrate the cell walls in the arteries and therefore inability to access the calcium, EDTA binding preferentially to other metals, and calcium posing minimal arterial danger in comparison to cholesterol and other deposits. A number of dangers have been associated with the therapy including hypocalcaemia, decreased blood coagulation ability (perhaps hypocalcaemia related), and the risk of leaching of necessary trace metals.

The safety and efficacy of EDTA chelation therapy as a treatment for coronary artery disease are being assessed by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine in a five-year study which began in 2002."

So to speak for himself, here is a brief interview with Linus Pauling on the rational behind his Lysine treatment:

http://www.healthyheartht.info/lastinterview.htm

Excerpts from the last interview with Dr. Linus Pauling

Q: You are recommending vitamin C and lysine for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. How exactly does lysine help to prevent cardiovascular disease?

Many investigators contributed to showing that lipoprotein A is what is deposited in plaques, not just LDL, but lipoprotein A. If you have more than 20mg/dI in your blood it begins depositing plaques and atherosclerosis so the question then is what causes lipoprotein A to stick to the wall of the artery and cause these plaques? Well countless biochemists and other chemists are pretty smart people and they discovered what it is in the wall of the artery that causes lipoprotein A to get stuck to the wall of the artery and form atherosclerotic plaques and ultimately lead to heart disease, strokes and peripheral arterial disease. The answer is there is a particular amino acid in a protein in the wall of the artery - lysine, which is one of the twenty amino acids that binds the lipoprotein A and causes atherosclerotic plaques to develop. I think it is a very important discovery.

Well, now, if you know that there are residues of lysine, lysyl residues, that hold the lipoprotein A to the wall of the artery and cause hardening of the arteries, then any chemist, any physical chemist would say at once that the thing to do is to prevent that by puffing the amino acid lysine in the blood to greater extent than is normally. Of course you get lysine normally in your food. Meat in particular contains a good bit of lysine. And you need lysine to be alive, it is an essential amino acid, you have to get about a gram a day to keep in protein balance, but you can take lysine, pure lysine, a perfectly non toxic substance in food, as 500mg tablets and that puts extra lysine molecules in the blood. They enter into competition with the lysyl residues on the wall of artery and accordingly count to prevent the lipoproteinA from being deposited or even will work to pull it loose and destroy the atherosclerotic plaques.

Q: Do you think the treatment of lysine and vitamin C can reverse the atherosclerotic process?

I think so. Yes. Now I've got to the point where I think we can get almost complete control of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes by the proper use of vitamin C and lysine. It can prevent cardiovascular disease and even cure it. If you are at risk of heart disease, or if there is a history of heart disease in your family; if your father or other members of the family died of a heart attack or stroke or whatever, or if you have a mild heart attack yourself then you had better be taking vitamin C and lysine.

Q: You are recommending vitamin C and lysine for the treatment of cardiovascular disease.
How exactly does lysine help to prevent cardiovascular disease?

Many investigators contributed to showing that lipoprotein A is what is deposited in plaques, not just LDL, but lipoprotein A. If you have more than 20mg/dI in your blood it begins depositing plaques and atherosclerosis so the question then is what causes lipoprotein A to stick to the wall of the artery and cause these plaques? Well countless biochemists and other chemists are pretty smart people and they discovered what it is in the wall of the artery that causes lipoprotein A to get stuck to the wall of the artery and form atherosclerotic plaques and ultimately lead to heart disease, strokes and peripheral arterial disease. The answer is there is a particular amino acid in a protein in the wall of the artery - lysine, which is one of the twenty amino acids that binds the lipoprotein A and causes atherosclerotic plaques to develop. I think it is a very important discovery.

Well, now, if you know that there are residues of lysine, lysyl residues, that hold the lipoprotein A to the wall of the artery and cause hardening of the arteries, then any chemist, any physical chemist would say at once that the thing to do is to prevent that by puffing the amino acid lysine in the blood to greater extent than is normally. Of course you get lysine normally in your food. Meat in particular contains a good bit of lysine. And you need lysine to be alive, it is an essential amino acid, you have to get about a gram a day to keep in protein balance, but you can take lysine, pure lysine, a perfectly non toxic substance in food, as 500mg tablets and that puts extra lysine molecules in the blood. They enter into competition with the lysyl residues on the wall of artery and accordingly count to prevent the lipoproteinA from being deposited or even will work to pull it loose and destroy the atherosclerotic plaques.

Q: Do you think the treatment of lysine and vitamin C can reverse the atherosclerotic process?

I think so. Yes. Now I've got to the point where I think we can get almost complete control of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes by the proper use of vitamin C and lysine. It can prevent cardiovascular disease and even cure it. If you are at risk of heart disease, or if there is a history of heart disease in your family; if your father or other members of the family died of a heart attack or stroke or whatever, or if you have a mild heart attack yourself then you had better be taking vitamin C and lysine.

Do not eat fat foods
Exercise daily, sweating during it
take ginko and genseng supplements for blood flow increase

Interesting... most animals can produce there own vitamin C as an enzyme. Primates - including humans, have lost the ability to make vitamin C and must obtain it from external sources.

www-DOT-healthvision2020-DOT-com/heartdisease1-DOT-html

Heart Disease

A simple Cure

Why blockages form.

After investigators determined that Lp(a) causes atherosclerosis, the next question for scientists became: "What causes these "fat" molecules to stick to the artery wall?" The Nobel prize winning answer turned out to be amino acid residues -- the so-called Lysine (and Proline) Binding Sites or LBS.

The Lp(a) or "cholesterol" binding sites are really just collagen protein (amino acid) residues that becomes exposed when blood vessels "crack." These exposed residues attract the Lp(a) molecules creating the plaque.

. . . A very important discovery. . .

What if the sticky Lp(a) molecules could be reduced, or were attracted some place other than the damaged arterial wall?

"Knowing that lysyl residues are what causes lipoprotein-(a) to get stuck to the wall of the artery and form plaques, any physical chemist would say at once that the thing to do is prevent that by putting the amino acid lysine in the blood to a greater extent than it is normally." [Linus Pauling, JON, Aug. '94]

Pauling/Rath's invention is to increase the lysine concentration in the blood serum causing Lp(a) to bind with lysine molecules in the blood rendering the Lp(a) inactive.

Today, there are more than 1100 MEDLINE (US National Medical Database) references to Lp(a). These reports confirm the Nobel prize winning research paper of Brown-Goldstein and provide a solid foundation for the Pauling Unified Theory. The fundamental and now generally recognized scientific fact is that Lp(a) cholesterol molecules bind to blood vessel walls via the Lysine and Proline Binding Sites forming atherosclerotic plaques and occlusive cardiovascular disease.

A corollary is that ordinary LDL (so-called "bad") cholesterol is not the primary cause of plaque build-up, any more than calcium.

Massive research now supports the insight of Pauling/Rath, who well ahead of his time in 1994 pointed out, "If you have more than 20mg/dl of Lp(a) in your blood it begins depositing plaques causing atherosclerosis."

The Pauling/Rath U. S. Patent # 5,278,189 is for the prevention and treatment of occlusive cardiovascular disease with vitamin C and substances that inhibit the binding of lipoprotein-(a). The patent provides a method for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease, such as atherosclerosis, by administering therapeutically effective dosages of a formula composed of vitamin C, lipoprotein-(a) binding inhibitors (e.g., lysine and proline or their analogs) and antioxidants.

Linus Pauling and Matthias Rath discovered that substances that inhibit the binding of lipoprotein-(a) also cause lipoprotein-(a) to be released from the arterial wall. According to the patent, a binding inhibitor (e.g., lysine or lysine analog) used alone or in conjunction with vitamin C, finds Lp(a) in the blood and binds with it before the molecule can reach the walls of arteries. At high enough concentrations, the lysine in the blood attracts Lp(a) in the existing plaques and will dissolve the plaque.

The inescapable conclusion is that the essential, very low cost and completely nontoxic amino acid lysine, when taken with vitamin C in amounts far larger than one normally consumes in the diet, may reduce or may even eliminate Lp(a) based atherosclerosis in human beings.

The lysine treatment mechanism doesn't depend on the reason the Lp(a) based plaque forms. It really doesn't matter whether the arterial lesions were caused by mechanical stress, a vitamin deficiency, oxidized cholesterol, elevated homo-cysteine, fat in the diet, or even little green men.

EDTA chelation treatment, along with regular exercise, maintaining correct body weight, eating healthily, stopping smoking and excess drinking, can be a viable alternative to open heart surgery and heart bypass; my father is the living proof (5 years and going strong after being told that he needed a triple heart bypass--yesterday!). Chelation removes heavy metals from the arteries; heavy metals attract free radicals, which attach to and oxidise the fatty plaque, causing disease; therefore removal of heavy metals minimise the effect of free radicals. This is a very simplified explanation considering that whole books are written trying to explain the therapeutic effect of chelation treatment, a treatment which is not accepted by the FDA but that has saved thousands of people from death and/or heart surgery.

Does anybody know why FDA has not approved EDTA chelation treatment?

P.J.LAKHAPATE
plakhapate@rediffmail.com

[/B]

Does anybody know why FDA has not approved EDTA chelation treatment?

P.J.LAKHAPATE

Consider this; the drug companies have the medical universities, doctors and training hospitals, and the FDA in their pockets. It does not pay them to promote cheap generic treatments, therefore all avenues to official research for alternative treatments are blocked by beureaucracy and prohibitive costs; who is going to pay for a double blind study involving hundreds or thousands of people over a number of years, if all they have to gain is worth less than the costs of the study? As you rightly guessed, nobody is.

However, many practitioners have conducted their own private studies based on their patient's histories and published accounts/books do exist; it's just a matter of searching for them. I'm not suggesting for one minute that the drug companies do not provide adequate treatments for many diseases, but sometimes they intentionally miss the point in order to make bucks, and older established cheaper treatments are left to rot and are virtually forgotten. Fortunately, a few contrarian practitioners have bothered to check out the older treatments and have found them to be, in many cases, superior to the modern and more expensive or even more dangerous alternatives.

So there you go, at the end of the day it depends on how contrarian you are in your attitudes and on how much faith you hold to the official line. Personally I prefer to do my own research and use my own logic before I decide, rightly or wrongly, what treatment is right for me.

Footnote: this is also a good example of why it's not wise to accept the word of scientists that aren't climatologists when they dismiss world-wide climate change.

and the reverse. all those non-climatologist GW 'scientists' who have a hard time reading a thermometer.... and especially to dismiss non-scientists like Al 'the Preacher' Gore.

Does it help to drink lemon juice early in the morning ?

If you want to reduce the pH level perhaps? But is not the blood pH should be 7.3? If you make it acidic, then the system goes out of whack and the body will create fat cells to buffer acid....

Perhaps drink a diluted KOH or Mg(OH)2 solution in the morning?

Fish oil, specifically omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids have a beneficial effect against various disorders including coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis.

The mackerals and tunas are high in these oils, although most fish have at least some of these oils present.

Red wine too has a beneficial effect. In moderation so they say. 2-3 glasses, 4 times a week.
* spud takes big slurp to keep doctor at bay*

My mother lived to be over 95 years old and she never had a heart problem and she never excercised but ate whatever she wanted in moderation.

Somewhere I read that there are certain bacteria which are resposible for the blockage of arteries.
If these bacteria are multiplied faster then this problem arises.
These bacteria may be from the curd.
Is this true?

P.J.LAKHAPATE

Somewhere I read that there are certain bacteria which are resposible for the blockage of arteries. If these bacteria are multiplied faster then this problem arises. These bacteria may be from the curd. Is this true?
According to the website Microbiology and Bacteriology, there is a correlation between infection by Chlamydia pneumoniae and atherosclerosis. This is a difficult line of research to pursue since this species of Chlamydia is one of the most common bacteria in our environment and around 70% of humans are unknowingly infected with it.

The problem facing researchers is to avoid committing an ancient fallacy that is even more common than this microorganism itself :): Post hoc ergo propter hoc, "Correlation implies causation."

I'm not much of a biologist but it appears that so far evidence is largely circumstantial. The primary cause of atherosclerosis is white blood cells attacking deposits of low-density lipoproteins (LDL or "bad cholesterol") in the arteries, deposits which virtually all humans have, starting in adolescence. This can be seen as sort of a "false alarm," an erroneous triggering of the body's autoimmune response, which then goes awry. The complicated chemistry and physics (I can read it with a glimmer of understanding but it gives me a headache) results in the blockages becoming larger rather than smaller. One day they block blood flow to a vital organ (stroke or heart attack), enlarge an artery which then encroaches on other tissue (aneurism), or block blood flow to a non-vital but nonetheless important site (atheroma).

However, evidence indicates that this particular mechanism is the cause of arterial blockage in only half of cases. (I have no idea how strong or controversial this evidence may be.) Scientists have had some success inducing these symptoms in laboratory animals by injecting them with C. pneumoniae. But, judging by what I have read, they're still a long way from providing good solid support for this theory. Still, this line of research is about ten years old so there may be recent developments that are not accessible to laymen.

You'll have to investigate it for yourself and form your own opinion, but if you're not highly educated in this biological specialty it will be exceedingly difficult. You may just have to wait for the experts to decide, or else pursue your own postgraduate degree in this field so you can participate in the research.

In any case, if by "curd" you're referring specifically to cheese, I see no discussion of that link. The various species of Chlamydia are widespread in the environment and some others are common causes of annoying but not life-threatening ailments in humans (particularly women), as well as deadly infections in birds.

EDTA chelation treatment, along with regular exercise, maintaining correct body weight, eating healthily, stopping smoking and excess drinking, can be a viable alternative to open heart surgery and heart bypass;...
Absolutely - No question about it! BUT that is more expensive than:

Keeping a penny dated with your birth year in your pocket, along with regular exercise, maintaining correct body weight, eating healthily, stopping smoking and excess drinking. :D

Somewhere I read that there are certain bacteria which are resposible for the blockage of arteries. ...Is that true?
Probably true, but for several different types of bacteria (Possibly none of the anaerobic ones?) For at least 10 years, the role of inflamation of arterial walls has been considered the reason why cholestrol deposits on them - sort of the body's effort to keep oxygen away from the bacteria that have caused the inflamation, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back