God is real?

SVRP said:
Science may provide the answers on how things are made but not the reasons why things are made.

Why would there be reasons for creation of all things?

I read the document from the link and I came up with something. Why wouldn't chance be able to make our planet a living planet? There are so many billions of planets thus so many different situations on planets. With so many different situations it is possible that chance creates a situation like the one we are now in, why not? Who knows, there may be tons of other planets outthere who have living capability in terms of atmosphere, the right distance from a star but there would be something else wrong that makes the planet not fit for life.

If you are religious and you let Jesus 'in your life' does it make you a different person? Do you live a better life (you think)?
Does god help you?
Do you get any personal signs from god?

What about all the other ancient beliefs, like Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology, etc? Do you think they are all just made up? If you do, you could also say that the Bible and the Koran are made up things for the same reason.

These ancient people really believed in them, and they had reasons. Romans had a business like attitude to the gods. They would worship them in many ways to get some kind of miracle, and eventually it worked out. If miracles didn't happen, Romans wouldn't have a reason to believe in their gods system now would they? So they believed in their gods.
We are in somewhat a same situation now. But if you look at it from this way, and god does exist, why all the different religions? If God was there he could make all humanity believe in the same religion that was 'right'.
Is (your?) God playing with humanity?

If we can't do anything or think against Gods will, then why is there so much uncertainty about Himself?

philocrazy said:
because it takes into acount more
than a yes or no answear

Tell me, what other answer can there be to that question then yes or no? Infinite or finite, yes or no. There is nothing between infinite and finite.

If you are religious and you let Jesus 'in your life' does it make you a different person? Do you live a better life (you think)?
As an ex-christian, I'd say yes it makes you a different person, but it doesn't help you live a better life (necessarily). It may help some change to a better code of ethics, but they're not the best, and eventually leads to more corruption.
What about all the other ancient beliefs, like Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology, etc? Do you think they are all just made up? If you do, you could also say that the Bible and the Koran are made up things for the same reason.
Of course they're made up.

Alpha said:
As an ex-christian

Why did you step out of your religion?

Alpha said:
Of course they're made up.

Yes, they're made up but why then did they believe in their gods?
They believed in their gods because they saw results. Otherwise they wouldn't have a reason to.

Alpha said:
Indeed. I find it strange that the majority doesn't believe in evolution, even though it's known fact. Well, the majority of laymen anyway. The majority of academics & scientists accept that evolution is fact.
"Are we to take it that evolution is a fact, proven to the limits of scientific rigor? If that is the inference then we must disagree most strongly. We have no absolute proof of the theory of evolution. What we do have is overwhelming circumstantial evidence in favor of it and as yet no better alternative. But the theory of evolution would be abandoned tomorrow if a better theory appeared." (Quote from the letter in Nature, vol. 290, March 12, 1981, p. 82. that was signed by 22 biologists from the British Museum of Natural History.)
About those links, they're attacking Darwinism, which is outdated. Most Intelligent Design (ID) arguments attack strawman arguments such as Darwinism. There really is no point in debating evolution. It's already proven, get over it and accept it. Does evolution prove God doesn't exist? No. Does it prove the universe wasn't designed, not necessarily.
So why did you imply from your earlier postings that evolution is the reason for everything and God was not necessary? If you are suggesting God had some input in the evolutionary process, then what is your argument that God doesn't exist? Please explain.

Why did you step out of your religion?
I saw it for what it was. I started reading the bible and found it full of contradictions and nonsense. I started learning and questioning. I found nothing to support the exitence of God, and easily found proof Christianity was false. And now, I believe I've proven God false as well.
"Are we to take it that evolution is a fact, proven to the limits of scientific rigor? If that is the inference then we must disagree most strongly. We have no absolute proof of the theory of evolution. What we do have is overwhelming circumstantial evidence in favor of it and as yet no better alternative. But the theory of evolution would be abandoned tomorrow if a better theory appeared." (Quote from the letter in Nature, vol. 290, March 12, 1981, p. 82. that was signed by 22 biologists from the British Museum of Natural History.)
If you want to make a point, do so with your own words. Or at least explain what the quote means for you. That quote proves nothing. First, it's a measly 22 biologists, and is probably an old quote. If they were shown the evidence and proof that exists today, doubtless most of them would "see the light." :p
Hell, you could probably find more scientists that believe other crazy things too.
Also, it refers to the theory of evolution, which concerns the mechanisms by which evolution occurs. The existence of evolution is not a theory.
So why did you imply from your earlier postings that evolution is the reason for everything and God was not necessary?
Did I? Where? I did say God is not necessary, but I didn't say evolution is "the reason for everything."
If you are suggesting God had some input in the evolutionary process, then what is your argument that God doesn't exist?
Now that doesn't make sense. Why would I suggest God had something to do with evolution if I'm arguing God doesn't exist?
My argument is this:

Definitions:
D1 - God: The creator of the Universe.
D2 - Time: Change(s) of state.
D3 - Universe: All of existence.
D4 - Causality: Law of cause and effect.
D5 - Creation: Change of state from nonexistence, to existence.

Inferences:
I1 - From D2 & D5: The creation of the Universe requires at least an instant of time.
I2 - From D3 & D1: Time & causality were created by God.
I3 - From D4 & D5: The creation of the Universe requires a cause.

Conclusions:
C1 - From I1 & D1: God required at least an instant of time to create the Universe.
C2 - From I2 & C1: God did not create time.
C3 - From I3 & D1: God required the power to cause the Universe to exist.
C4 - From I2 & C3: God did not create causality.
C5 - From C2 & C4: God did not create the Universe.

.: From C5 & D1 - Therefore D1 is false.

What more, your "argument" requires that God be bound by His own principles, a rather foolish notion.

What more, you cannot measure an instant of time. You can only theorize. Therefore you cannot logically conclude that God "required" anything. Not only that but God by definition needs nothing. Another illogical premise.

I2 AND C3 in no way prove C4. Especially by your fallacy that God actually needed an "instant of time" when we recognize that time is a result of the celestial bodies, which means that the celestial bodies would have to exist for your theory to even make sense. There either was time, or there wasn't. You shouldn't blur the line with such contradictions.

C2 and I2 contradict each other.
Indeed, that's part of the point.
What more, your "argument" requires that God be bound by His own principles, a rather foolish notion.
It's even more foolish to presume something exists that is inconsistent.
What more, you cannot measure an instant of time.
It's called the Planck time; the smallest unit of time. I see no reason it can't be measured. Further, it's entirely irrelevant whether it can be measured or not.
Therefore you cannot logically conclude that God "required" anything.
You can indeed. The definitions require it. If you contest the definitions, then what the hell are we talking about?
Not only that but God by definition needs nothing.
Demonstrate how that is entailed in the definition. If God needs nothing by definition, then I'd argue that is further evidence of his nonexistence.
I2 AND C3 in no way prove C4.
In combination with I3 it does. Causality is part of the Universe. The Universe must have been caused to exist, therefore God could not have created the Universe. You can't cause causality to exist, it would have to already exist, meaning it's not part of the Universe. Which also means he didn't create it.
Especially by your fallacy that God actually needed an "instant of time" when we recognize that time is a result of the celestial bodies, which means that the celestial bodies would have to exist for your theory to even make sense.
Not at all. Celestial bodies have absolutely nothing to do with it, and are entirely irrelevant. Time is supposed to be a result of God having caused it to exist.
There either was time, or there wasn't. You shouldn't blur the line with such contradictions.
The contradictions are there by definition, that is the point. If you agree with the definitions, then this proves God doesn't exist. If you don't like it, then try to find something wrong with the definitions. Or just ignore it and believe what you want.

You can't make an argument from false inferences! If I2 is an erroneous inference, you ought to revise it, not use it.

In combination with I3 it does. Causality is part of the Universe. The Universe must have been caused to exist, therefore God could not have created the Universe. You can't cause causality to exist, it would have to already exist, meaning it's not part of the Universe. Which also means he didn't create it.
Causality isn't an objective reality. It doesn't exist the way a comet or a planet does. You don't "need" causality to create something - creating something, even for the first time, only makes it possible to think of it as "causal".

Alpha said:

I believe Jenyar has addressed this.

We shall see with what standard of inconsistency.

It's called the Planck time; the smallest unit of time. I see no reason it can't be measured. Further, it's entirely irrelevant whether it can be measured or not.

As time does not exist at this said point in eternity, your argument is invalidated. God can't need something, especially when it doesn't even exist at the alledged time of His needing it.

You can indeed. The definitions require it. If you contest the definitions, then what the hell are we talking about?

The definitions do not require it. There you have reached a logical fallacy. As God, by definition, is eternal, He is from one end of eternity to the other. Therefore He cannot, by logic, need anything. I suggest looking up "omnipotent" in the dictionary.

Demonstrate how that is entailed in the definition. If God needs nothing by definition, then I'd argue that is further evidence of his nonexistence.

Please show me how, as I am now interested. Again, I call on the previous points made. Do you forget that without the very creation you question, by your own demonstrations, the actual demonstrations you are using would not exist? Therefore a logical fallacy arises. You cannot use something to disprove something it proves.

I believe Jenyar did address this but I will add a few points. Saying casuality is part of the universe, first of all is a very ignorant thing. We know virtually nothing about the universe but what we percieve. Considering our knowledge is always changing, applying this to a universe we know virtually NOTHING about is a call for concern. Causality is the human mode of perception. To apply a finite mode of perception to the infinite is actually quite daft, especially when even the greatest minds have conceded that humans really are shockingly ignorant.

Not at all. Celestial bodies have absolutely nothing to do with it, and are entirely irrelevant. Time is supposed to be a result of God having caused it to exist.

Since when was time supposed to be a result of God having "caused" it to exist? There would be no time without the celestial bodies, any astronomer can tell you that so what argument do you have? Time is a mode/standpoint of perception of Past, present, future. That would be to limit an infinite being to any of these three modes of perception when you have just said that time has not always existed, especially the concerning the point in eternity in which creation ensued.

The contradictions are there by definition, that is the point. If you agree with the definitions, then this proves God doesn't exist. If you don't like it, then try to find something wrong with the definitions. Or just ignore it and believe what you want.

Are you offended by my examination of your points?

"According to Hawking, the universe did not begin "in" time, rather time itself came into being with the universe.
Russell points out that Hawking’s idea is very similar to the idea proposed over 1500 years ago by the great early Christian theologian, Saint Augustine. Augustine too declared that the universe was not created in time, but rather with time."
- God and Time.

Alpha said:
Definitions:
D1 - God: The creator of the Universe.
D2 - Time: Change(s) of state.
D3 - Universe: All of existence.
D4 - Causality: Law of cause and effect.
D5 - Creation: Change of state from nonexistence, to existence.

Inferences:
I1 - From D2 & D5: The creation of the Universe requires at least an instant of time.
I2 - From D3 & D1: Time & causality were created by God.
I3 - From D4 & D5: The creation of the Universe requires a cause.

Conclusions:
C1 - From I1 & D1: God required at least an instant of time to create the Universe.
C2 - From I2 & C1: God did not create time.
C3 - From I3 & D1: God required the power to cause the Universe to exist.
C4 - From I2 & C3: God did not create causality.
C5 - From C2 & C4: God did not create the Universe.

.: From C5 & D1 - Therefore D1 is false.

That is an argument from a religion point of view. Who says the religions are right?

Jenyar said:
"According to Hawking, the universe did not begin "in" time, rather time itself came into being with the universe.
Russell points out that Hawking’s idea is very similar to the idea proposed over 1500 years ago by the great early Christian theologian, Saint Augustine. Augustine too declared that the universe was not created in time, but rather with time."
- God and Time.

Time is an artificial dimension. Time is used to understand RATE of Motion. Really, there is no Past and there is no Future. At best we know where we came from and the direction in which we are going. Even God does not know more.

Time is an artificial dimension. Time is used to understand RATE of Motion.

This is the situation we find ourselves in living in a 4-D universe. Our total velocity is constantly at c, with most of that velocity being dedicated to progress through time. However, any velocity with which we move through any of the other three dimensions is subtracted from our progress through the fourth dimension. If you travel at light speed forward, sideways, or upward, then all of your total velocity is dedicated to progress in that direction, and you become perfectly synchronized with a single moment in time.

Jenyar said:
- God and Time.

Time and space:

How come, that we can think of space and time with the same words?

We say: *in* three weeks, *after* a month, *in the course* of two years, *within* a week ... spatial words and prepositions that are also posssible to use with the concept of time.

How could it happen that both time and space can be conceptualized in the same way?

RosaMagika said:
Time and space:

How come, that we can think of space and time with the same words?

We say: *in* three weeks, *after* a month, *in the course* of two years, *within* a week ... spatial words and prepositions that are also posssible to use with the concept of time.

How could it happen that both time and space can be conceptualized in the same way?
From a linguistic POV, this is explained by a phenomenon I demonstrated to stretched elsewhere: We can't talk about metaphysical realities - things that are beyond our physical reach - without employing metaphors using ourselves as measure.

We shape our language around meanings, then use them as vehicles to travel to the ends of the universe and beyond :).

Last edited:
You can't make an argument from false inferences! If I2 is an erroneous inference, you ought to revise it, not use it.
The inference is a direct consequence of the definitions.
Causality isn't an objective reality. It doesn't exist the way a comet or a planet does. You don't "need" causality to create something - creating something, even for the first time, only makes it possible to think of it as "causal".
I think you have no idea what causality is, which is funny because it's defined in the proof. It's the law of cause and effect. No event is without cause. If there can be an event without cause, then I would suggest to you that the universe could have come into existence without cause, thus undermining the claim that God created it.
We shall see with what standard of inconsistency.
Uh, lemme think... logic maybe? :rolleyes:
As time does not exist at this said point in eternity, your argument is invalidated.
Hehe, don't jump to conclusions.
God can't need something, especially when it doesn't even exist at the alledged time of His needing it.
So, time doesn't exist when God creates the Universe? That means he existed in a timeless eternal state. Correct? A direct consequence of this claim is that God cannot have created the Universe because he would exist forever in this "timeless" state willing the Universe to exist, but it can never be created because no time passes for him.
As God, by definition, is eternal,
Do not add extraneous attributes to the definition please, as they are all contested. The only uncontested defintion is that which I've given in the proof, which is simply the creator of the Universe. BTW, if God can be eternal, I sumbit that the Universe is eternal, undermining your argument for the existence of God.
He is from one end of eternity to the other.
Eternity has no end by definition.
Therefore He cannot, by logic, need anything.
LOL, non-sequitur. Your conclusion doesn't logically follow.
I suggest looking up "omnipotent" in the dictionary.
I am familiar with the term omnipotent. I suggest you read this:
- Proof omnipotence doesn't exist.
Omnipotence is an paradoxical concept.
Please show me how, as I am now interested.
You didn't answer my query.
Do you forget that without the very creation you question, by your own demonstrations, the actual demonstrations you are using would not exist?
I disagree, and I believe it can be proven otherwise.
Therefore a logical fallacy arises.
You're misusing the term logical fallacy. You are pointing to an inconsistency, not a logical fallacy. The inconsistency does not prove your case though, it only shows that we disagree.
You cannot use something to disprove something it proves.
That presumes that it is proven. You can use it to disprove it if it merely attempts to prove it by showing that it's inconsistent.
Saying casuality is part of the universe, first of all is a very ignorant thing.
Causality is part of the Universe as defined in the proof since the Universe is defined as all existence.
Causality is the human mode of perception.
LOL, try understanding what you're talking about before making such claims.
To apply a finite mode of perception to the infinite is actually quite daft,
It's quite daft to think that infinity exists in reality. Infinity is a human concept that is both inconsistent with many uses of it, and not without limit as many (mainly religious people) imply. Any numerically limitless process is still limited by time.
Since when was time supposed to be a result of God having "caused" it to exist?
Since it was claimed God exists "outside" time, and created it, and since time exists and the Universe was defined to be all of existence. Actually, I should clarify that. All of existence aside from God himself. Unless he created himself... LOL.
There would be no time without the celestial bodies, any astronomer can tell you that so what argument do you have?
No sane astronomer would tell you that so where does your "argument" come from? Perhaps you are not making the distinction between time and the measurement thereof?
Time is a mode/standpoint of perception of Past, present, future.
Time is change(s) of state. The perception of it is irrelevant to it's definition.
Are you offended by my examination of your points?
Why would I be? Because you called me daft? Nah. A person needs to have a certain amount of respect from me before I'd get offended. No offence.
- God and Time.
Not a valid argument. I'd debate Hawking just like anyone else on things we disagree about.
That is an argument from a religion point of view. Who says the religions are right?
I'm an atheist BTW.
It's not an argument from an atheist or religious point of view. I simply listed the most clear and consise definitions I could, made valid logical inferences from them, and drew logical conclusions that demonstrated contradictions in the definitions. Also, if it was an argument from a religious point of view, then the contradictions would show that religion's point of view to be wrong.
Time is an artificial dimension. Time is used to understand RATE of Motion.
Time is described as an "artificial" dimension in physics but that does not make it so. It's just the way the math works. Time, as simply described in the proof is change(s) of state. This is the only thing we can truly agree upon about time. Just like the definition of God. Many would add their own attributes to God, but those attributes could not be agreed upon. That time is change of state and that God is the creator of the universe are the only definitions I think that everyone can agree upon. Anything else is extraneous.

I think you have no idea what causality is, which is funny because it's defined in the proof. It's the law of cause and effect. No event is without cause.
How did that law come into existence, if it needed itself to come into existence?
If there can be an event without cause, then I would suggest to you that the universe could have come into existence without cause, thus undermining the claim that God created it.
It's not without a cause if God is the cause. God is not an "event".

How did that law come into existence, if it needed itself to come into existence?
It didn't. That's part of the point. Causality can't be created/caused to exist.
If there can be an event without cause, then I would suggest to you that the universe could have come into existence without cause, thus undermining the claim that God created it.
It's not without a cause if God is the cause. God is not an "event".
So what caused God to exist? I imagine your answer is nothing. In that case, a direct consequence of that claim is that not everything needs a cause to exist. Which means I can claim the Universe needs no cause to exist, thus eliminating the need for God.

Back