God does exist.

Originally posted by Frencheneesz
Whatsupall:

"If you KNOW for 100% assurity that your cousin will take the controller, is there the possibility that your nephew could NOT take the controller? "

ANSWER IT!!

LOL, u have reconstructed it like 4 times. SO FOR THE FOURTH TIME I WILL ANSWER IT.
IF I KNOW FOR 100% ASSURITY that my cousin USES HIS FREEWILL TO take the controller, therefore because my knowledge was 100% accurate, THEN MY NEPHEW WILL NOT TAKE THE CONTROLLER...

SO THE ANSWER IS NO, MY NEPHEW WILL NOT USE HIS FREEWILL TO DO SOMETHING ELSE, BECAUSE MY KNOWLEDGE WAS 100% ACCURATE...

GET IT?

Re: What's the Pro?

Originally posted by MarcAC

Nope. OUR uncertainty still exists. As long as OUR uncertainty exists then OUR choice exists right? Of course! GOD knows perfectly what choice we will make. We don't - thus our uncertainty exists - thus we have a choice.

MARC, UNFORTUNATELY THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THAT...HOW SAD, THEIR BRAIN IS BLINDED BY SATAN HIMSELF....

MarcAC:

Ya I watched The Matrix.

"Choice doesn't require recollection of details. "

Well, choice requires thought, which requires recolection. But I don't think that is exactly what you meant by recolection. Either way, I wasn't talking about choice. I was talking directly about changing your mind. I was telling Super-idiot101 that you need to have new input to change your mind. This had little to nothing to do with choice.

"Atheists flatly deny. Why do you deny? "

I realize that there is the possibility of an all-powerful being. Every other atheist out there SHOULD realize the same thing. Yet we place god along the lines of any other thing that doesn't exist. We could say that the sun was created by a mysterious frog from outerspace, yet there is no evidence for it. There is such a low possibility that it exists that we dismiss it as myth.

We cannot believe in it just because there is the possibility that it exists.

"OUR uncertainty still exists. As long as OUR uncertainty exists then OUR choice exists right? "

Ok I know what you mean. But my answer to your question is no. If ANYONE can know the future exactly, then the future is set in stone, it would be predestined. If something is predestined than one cannot make a choice about it, it is already set. It does not matter whether anyone knows the future perfectly, but it is an indicator that the future is predestined. Do you see what I'm saying?

It is like this: If we are arguing about whether a rock is on the road, a person seeing the rock on the road will disolve the uncertainty. But if noone sees the rock on the road, it does not mean that the rock ISN'T there. In other words, noone needs to see the rock for it to be there. Noone needs to see the future perfectly for it to be predestined, but when someone DOES, then we KNOW its predestined. Get it now?

"In other words do you think logic can explain away every single faucet of our existence?"

Perhaps not, but I haven't seen anything that cannot, yet.

Whatsupall:

"LOL, u have reconstructed it like 4 times. "

No, I have posted it 4 times. This is the first time I have reconstructed it. It seems repeated posts are needed to get a straight ansewer out of you.

"SO THE ANSWER IS NO, MY NEPHEW WILL NOT USE HIS FREEWILL TO DO SOMETHING ELSE"

The question STILL had no mention of freewill. I THINK I can take the "no" part and fillter out the rest, but I'm not quite sure. Seriously whatsupall, I am just trying to understand how you think so I can address it.

Ok assuming your answer to my new question is no: so there is no possibility that your nephew could not take the controller? This means that he does not have the choice to take the controller. If he had the choice, he would be able to make that choice. Since there is no possiblitiy of him not taking the controller, then there is no choice. A choice is more than one possibility and you yourself have given me the answer that there is no other possibility.

I'm not going to rant and rave about how I have won and its all over. I am merely going to wait for your reply.

Frenchy, this topic is over long time ago, you just dont want to admit you losed, so you keep on posting and rambling the same question AND ACT LIKE AS IF I NEVER ANSWERED IT....

Last edited:
Im so sorry Frenchy if I offend you, but I ALREADY ANSWERED THAT FOUR TIMES, 4 TIMES, AND AT ONE POINT, U EVEN AGREED WITH ME, THEN AT THAT SAME POST U WROTE DOWN THAT U DONT AGREE WITH ME, yur contradictory...

WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY? WHAT DO U WANT ME TO SAY? U WANT ME TO SAY GOD IS A MYTH, AND THERE ARE GIANT PURPLE SQUID MONKEY, AND THAT NATURE IS "LUCK", AND THE BIG BANG IS A FACT, AND KNOWING SOMETHING MEANS CONTROLLING SOMETHING, KNOWING SOMEONES ACT MEANS THAT SOMEONE DOESNT HAVE FREEWILL, AND MORALITY ISNT FROM RELIGION...?
DO YOU WANT ME TO GO DOWN TO YOUR LEVEL AND BECOME ATHEIST? DO U WNT ME TO BELIEVE IN THINGS WITHOUT EVIDENCE? DO YOU WANT ME TO BE DELUSIONAL?
WHY? THAT IS LIKE HUGH HEFFNER BECOMING A CATHOLIC PRIEST, THATS VERY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN FRENCHY...

Cage Match?

Originally posted by Raithere
No. I mean that we have the ability to select either A or B.

If God knows that A will happen before we choose can we still choose B? If not then we cannot select B, can we? Then what choice do we really have?
Ah. The point is we don't know what God knows. We still choose. So we still have OUR free will. You are trying to look at it as if we are equals with God. Because God knows what we will choose doesn't mean he does it. If we still disagree then there is no need to continue this part of the debate. Because I won't change my view. You should review your logic. Try thinking outside of our 4 dimensions - no try is a bad word - just do it - we all know you can.;)
Why would I say something as absurd as that? Knowing is having a true belief for the right reasons. I suggest you read Mortimer Adler regarding knowledge. You'll like him, he was a theist and has a profoundly better argument towards God than whatsupyall ever conceived. I really don't suggest relying of whatsup for any kind of rationale.

Here's a link to one of his essays regarding knowledge:
http://radicalacademy.com/adlerknowledge1.htm
Well you know Raithere what you stated as absurd in the latter quote seems to be what you said in the former. I look to my God and my faith for rationale... and science now and then... I also look to fellow believers.
Actually, there is an error in the reasoning that I've given so far (I've mentioned it in other topics) but there are different ramifications as to God if we accept the premises necessary to reveal the error. Right now I am accepting certain unstated premises in the typical Christian/Islamic/Jewish notion of God. Within those premises there is no error in my reasoning. Believe me, if you four are having difficulty with what's been said so far there's no way we'll be able to discuss fallacies in modal and temporal logic.
Oh feel free to introduce your modal and temporal logic. I have a strange premonition I'll enjoy it
Because it's not that simple, y'alls question contains an error... therefore the question isn't even valid? Can you answer the following question with a yes or no: Because Michael Jordan sold his 2005 Superbowl Championship ring does that mean the ring no longer exists?
O.k. I'm guessing here.;) We can't know. Still don't see it having any bearing on y'alls question. And who says any earthly example can ever be a perfect analogy to God. He was making a point. And it is a solid one. Knowing is not doing. You should look at some examples Frencheneez provides... you'd start thinking y'all is the god of logic. Sorry.
One refutes evidence or argument, not belief. Proving any negative assertion without parameters is impossible. However, failing to disprove God does not prove God.
You should post this one on the 'Calling All Atheists Thread'
When scientific proof abounded the Roman Catholic Church had to acknowledge the fact that the earth was round. As an imperfect analogy - I see all non-believers as the Roman Catholic Church - and God as the earths spherical nature. Your evidence will come in due time

Whatsupall:

"I ALREADY ANSWERED THAT FOUR TIMES, 4 TIMES, AND AT ONE POINT, U EVEN AGREED WITH ME"

The caps are not needed. I simpathize with you, because I can understand your point of view. Yet I do not agree with your point of view. In your point of view, you answered me four times. Yet I wanted a straight answer, which you only gave me once. I expressed that I only wanted a yes or a no, no commentary.

And if you didn't notice, I didn't ask you for another answer this time; I got what I wanted. If you would kindly read what I have already posted, we may get somewhere in the discussion.

"AND AT ONE POINT, U EVEN AGREED WITH ME"

Again, capps are not needed. Yes, I agreed with you. But I did not agree with EVERYTHING you said, only a part. It is possible for us to agree on some things and not on others, you know. The thing I agreed with you about, I still agree. The fact you KNOW for 100% that something will happen, does NOT mean YOU made it happen. I have never argued that and never will.

"THAT IS LIKE HUGH HEFFNER BECOMING A CATHOLIC PRIEST, THATS VERY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN FRENCHY..."

I like this particular post of your because it contains none of what you theists call "blasphemy": name calling, insults, and pompous belittlement. Although it does contain lots of caps.... Scrathch the caps and I might enjoy talking to you. I understand your exasperation, you have to realize that I am just as exasperated as you are.

I realize you may never become atheist, but I hope you would realize which parts of your current belief to change. Please stop using caps..?

Oh no... !?!?

Originally posted by Cris
That rant by whatsup looks like he is tying himself in knots again. I wonder when one of them will appear round his neck, surely it is only a matter of time. It is difficult to believe anyone can be so screwed up.
Ah and Cris gives in:eek:... we are all human I guess... How logical... tying a knot around your neck with words. I'll stick to faith in God.
So much for nostalgia...

Marc,

The point is we don't know what God knows.
Yes we do. Christians state that he knows everything with absolute perfection, past, present and future. They say he is omniscient.

We still choose. So we still have OUR free will.
Of course we do and we all know it, but that is reality, and would definitely be true if God doesn’t exist.

God knows what we will choose doesn't mean he does it.
Yes it does. If the future is known with certainty then something or someone else will have determined all your future actions. The choice for these actions CANNOT have been made by you because you would not have known in the past what you are going to do in the future, especially if you weren’t even born. The fact that you actually take those actions and think they are your choices would be purely an illusion. You will be no more than a puppet with God pulling the strings, i.e. he is the one doing everything. If he is the creator and designer of everything, and knows everything, then we are simply minor cogs in his overall universal plan and can have absolutely no say in our own destiny or choices.

MarcAC:

"Because God knows what we will choose doesn't mean he does it. "

He is not saying that. I think we have come to the understanding that your definition of freewill is different than normal. He is arguing that for god to know what people will choose, the universe has to be deterministic.

"You should look at some examples Frencheneez provides... you'd start thinking y'all is the god of logic. "

AYH, what are you talking about. That is the worst insult in existance. When are my examples bad?

Marc,

Ah and Cris gives in ... we are all human I guess... How logical... tying a knot around your neck with words. I'll stick to faith in God.
But Marc, you don’t enjoy poetic justice then? Or did you simply not understand the metaphor?

But there was no abuse here, he does rant, and he is screwed up. These are objective observations. I am sure most of us will be pleased when he stops wasting space at sciforums.

Cris:

"Of course we do and we all know it, but that is reality, and would definitely be true if God doesn’t exist. "

Not neccessarily. We might still not have freewill even if god does not exist. I don't believe in freewill.

"Yes it does. If the future is known with certainty then something or someone else will have determined all your future actions. "

I must disagree with this. Because he knows the future, the future is predestined. It does not specify WHO predestines it. God does not neccessarily have to be the predesiner. Knowing this, the most likely candidate for predestining the universe remains god, but it does not neccessarily have to be so. Just to clarify.

French,

Not neccessarily. We might still not have freewill even if god does not exist. I don't believe in freewill.
I was trying to avoid a discussion on the philosophy of determinism, but within that discipline there is a strong case for free will being possible. But that is different to the subject here, and will only confuse whatsup even further if we add another dimension.

I must disagree with this. Because he knows the future, the future is predestined. It does not specify WHO predestines it. God does not neccessarily have to be the predesiner. Knowing this, the most likely candidate for predestining the universe remains god, but it does not neccessarily have to be so. Just to clarify.
No, it must be the god in the Christian mythology since they claim he created and designed everything and everything happens according to his will. In that particular fantasy he is the only force involved, everything else would be subordinate to his design and will.

No Argument Here

Originally posted by Cris
Yes we do [know what God knows]. Christians state that he knows everything with absolute perfection, past, present and future. They say he is omniscient.
No we don't Cris. Omniscient means all knowing. Do Christians profess to know everything? No.
Of course we do [have free will] and we all know it, but that is reality, and would definitely be true if God doesn’t exist
I see you have not been reading the posts on this topic by me. y'all, Q, Raithere... ? You see this is where I realise that we can't argue with each other. Why? You use your logic based on us being equal with God... which we aren't - in Christian doctrine. When you see us equal with God you see the paradox. But when you think of God existing in a realm [or dimension if you wish] which transcends ours... be it 5th, 6th or 10th... or 1.000.000th] then you see the paradox resolved.
Yes it does. If the future is known with certainty then something or someone else will have determined all your future actions. The choice for these actions CANNOT have been made by you because you would not have known in the past what you are going to do in the future, especially if you weren't even born. The fact that you actually take those actions and think they are your choices would be purely an illusion. You will be no more than a puppet with God pulling the strings, i.e. he is the one doing everything. If he is the creator and designer of everything, and knows everything, then we are simply minor cogs in his overall universal plan and can have absolutely no say in our own destiny or choices.
Yes. That limited [you can call it narrow-minded too] view again. You just don't get it. It depends on how you view the universe. Up there Cris you are saying that knowing is doing. And that sounds strange. God relinquished his will so that we may have our choices - he want's us to go His way but we can choose to go the other way - now if He didn't make us choose we would then be like puppets on strings. HE DOESN'T CHOOSE FOR US. Thus He doesn't DO anything. The choices we make determine where we end up - predetermination - but God know's who will choose him and who won't. I'm not omniscient. I wonder what you will choose. I see where the disparity is between our arguments. It all depends on opinion - logic can't solve this one bro - needs more premise. No wonder you became an atheist Cris. You hardly kne[o]w anything about core Christian truths.

Truthseeker

Sorry (Q)... you also misunderstood me.

I did not say I don't believe He is omniscient, I said that I'm not able to explain how this is possible, how this works. That's all that I said.

I was sure you said you believed He can only know what is most likely to happen. There is a big discrepancy between that and believing He is omniscient.

And if you are unable to explain how this is possible or how this works, then how is it you can believe it to be true ? Science would never make that presumption.

And if you believe it to be true, then you must know that this completely precludes the notion of free will. Your actions and my actions are already well known to Him. He knows exactly what we will do well in advance. He must have known our actions prior to my birth and yours.

If you and I were to play a game of chess with every move already pre-destined, wouldn't playing the game be an exercise in futility ? You would win the game - so what, it was already pre-destined. I win the game - so what, it was already pre-destined. There would be no purpose in playing the game since the outcome is already pre-destined.

The same would apply to our lives. There would be no point in living our lives if all we were doing was playing out a pre-destined game of chess. In fact, what purpose would God have in creating this role for us ? What would be the point of Him creating us at all if He knew what was going to occur ?

In other words, our sole purpose in life is to live out his pre-destined plan. In that regard, we are little more than mindless robots.

Irrelevant to this conversation. We are arguing whether thought would affect desire. Specifically, I was refuting your position that thought serves desire by pointing out that thought can change desire.

First let us understand what desire is;
Desire, v. t.] 1. The natural longing that is excited by the enjoyment or the thought of any good, and impels to action or effort its continuance or possession; an eager wish to obtain or enjoy.
Excessive or morbid longing; lust; appetite.
To long for; to wish for earnestly; to covet.

I don’t personally think thought can change anything, without being backed up by action. When we get to the stage of desiring something or someone, it goes beyond thought, desire is not logical. Most of the time, if we desire something, our thoughts usually find a way of justifying it.
If someone overcomes their desire in the way that you mentioned, that person is considered a strong individual, and even then, they have to find ways of keeping themselves straight, else they could easily return to their habit.

"What tools do we have to take measure of these things?" to which your replied, "Intelligence."

The result usually acts as a way of measurement. i.e. “I haven’t had a cigarette for 20 years now.”

I then stated, "Intelligence is a quality or capacity. It is not a method." The reply you've just given does not fit to the conversation.

When someone becomes addicted to crack cocaine lets say, unless they have no idea of its effects, the act is not one of intelligence, I’m sure you would agree. If you have ever talked to a crack-head, they will tell you its not a good thing they are doing, this indicates that they are thinking about their actions, but cannot back them up. Why? Because the desire to be high is stronger than anything else.
The people who do manage to beat the habit, do so through strong will power, the power to overcome their urges and desires. They first have to admit to themselves that they have a problem, and the only way to be rid of it, is to stop it, period. They then seek out people who are qualified to help them, they surrender themselves to such authorities by doing exactly what they say, regardless of their own ideas and concepts, in other words they put their faith in the relevant authorities.
This is intelligence, it is survival.

I know a lot about the concept of God according to several religions.

What is the concept of God?

What I know about the supposed reality of God is that there seems to be nothing to know...

Because you are looking outwardly. You can know about the concept of love, but unless you love you will never really know what it is, because it is a “personal experience.”
To develop knowledge of God, we need knowledge of ourselves, from that position it becomes clearer.

that is there is nothing that can be verified as true and many notions that can be invalidated.

I once asked you if there is somebody you loved, and you replied, yes. I then asked you to prove your claim to me, and you couldn’t, did you re-evaluate the love you thought you had, or do you still love that someone? If so can you prove it to me yet?
This is what I mean about self-understanding, self-realisation, the answers to your questions lie within your heart, but first you must be honest with yourself.

s leads me to believe that God, particularly as a conscious being that created the Universe and is involved with our lives, is not a believable notion.

I can understand that, but it doesn’t mean that God doesn’t exist. You will never find God by trying to see Him with your eyes, because your eyes are imperfect. The best way to perceive God, is by hearing, hearing is much more effective, if someone is in a deep state of sleep, he can be woken if you call him, sound affects the mind and body much more than form.

I worked quite hard to act in accordance with the doctrines I followed. Most of my behavior, even now, is in accordance with those doctrines.

When we work, generally it means we want something in return for our labour, the doctrines i.e. the ten commandments, is not meant to be hard labour.

I simply have developed a logical rational for them rather than basing them on faith. My behavior is more true to the teachings of Jesus than most of the Christians I meet.

Maybe so, but that may be due to their understanding of Christ, as I said, because you say you believe in God, doesn’t mean you do. It is how we act that determines whether we are theist or atheist, not what we think. In fact thinking on its own determines nought.

Yes, thought can be influenced by emotion, particularly strong emotion. I work hard to make sure that influence is within reason.

Work, work, work, you should chill out. :p

I fully agree with this. However, I do not believe that you have demonstrated that "Life comes from spirit."

Good, good, we agree on something at least, so we will take it from there, forget, for the moment about life coming from spirit. Our next question must be what is “life.”

I do not believe that I have posted anything foolish on this board except when I was deliberately making a joke.

I don’t want to go into the Pascals wager thing, but by your own admision you are not sure as to whether a God exists.
Now if God exists, you are blaspheming, right?
When you blaspheme, you sin, when you sin, you become responsible for your own actions, you create re-actions, in the bible it says; as a man sow so shall he reap. When seeds are sown, there is a reaction. The seeds talked about in the Bible are not agriculteral seeds, they are seeds of action, when you perform an action, there has to be a reaction, you have to deal with the reaction, this is what is meant by “karma” I’m sure you are aware. When we blaspheme, it is one of the worst sins, for the reactions of such actions are truly magnaminous.
Why I said you were foolish, was because you have no idea as to the scale of your offense, if you don’t believe God exists, then whose face are you going to tell it to, and if He exists then you have blasphemed and unless you can somehow come to your senses, you have to face up to your offense.

then by all means, enlighten me.

There you go again, always looking for the external way out.

Theists keep telling me things similar to this and I keep asking for their evidence and reason.

What would you look for?

You stated that thought serves desire (which is emotion), suggest that thought is only about emotion, and seem to suggest that thought cannot change desire (emotion). You have strayed from that portion of our discussion but from what you have said that is the conclusion I have drawn. If not then please explain.

I will reply to this soon.

Love

Jan Ardena.

(Q),

When God created us, He created us for one purpouse. He has planned our whole life ahead. However, He always gives us a chance to decide wheter we will do what He planned for us or not. Once we have the choice, we choose it. As He knows us 100%, He can be 100% sure of what we will do, because He knows us with 100% of accuracy. By this reason, He is able to discern the actions we will make by our soul: thoughts, will and emotions.

This is also for Frencheneesz corcerning about whatsupyall's response.

"As He knows us 100%, He can be 100% sure of what we will do, because He knows us with 100% of accuracy. By this reason, He is able to discern the actions we will make by our soul: thoughts, will and emotions. "

If he knows 100% what we will do, then he already knows every choice we will make in our lives. Our free will is simply an illusion, since no matter what we decide God will always know our choice before hand. He knows even before we were born whether we will end up in heaven or hell. If this is the case, what's the point of this life?

Truthseeker:

"By this reason, He is able to discern the actions we will make by our soul: thoughts, will and emotions."

If we cannot contradict his knowlege, do we really have a choice?

Back