Getting Tired of Fundamentalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I live in the mid-west, heart of the bible belt. Quite frankly I am getting sick and tired of the fundamentalist Christian organizations around here. I can't go anywhere without someone practically shoving Jesus in my face. Seriously... here are some examples from just the past 2 days...

A bilboard went up earlier this month. All is says is "JESUS" in HUGE white letters on a green background. Today I noticed a brand new bilboard about 100ft away from it that says. "Feeling Down? Turn to Jesus". That one was a church advertisement for teh Church of Latter Day Saints. There are many more like that around here. Not too mention that when watching local TV, you cannot go one time through a commercial break without seeing an advertisement for some church. Mostly, they advertise how much they love children, which quite frankly, is not the best message to be sending now-a-days. lol

Last night, two kids from that same church came-a-knockin on my door. Usually they ask if they can have a minute of my time... not this time. They just started rattling off questions without even introducing themselves. Being the courteous individual that I try to be, I listen to them and answered thier questions politely. Heres some of the questions... and my answers.

1) "Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"
"Honestly, no. I believe he was a good man, but I do not consider him an idol of worship in my personal views. I believe that he had good morals but was no more or less than any other human being."

2) "Do you attend church on a regular basis? If so which one, and why that one?"
"I do not go to church because I do not share the same beliefs as most do and do not feel that one must go to church in order to be closer to a higher power."

3) "Well, because you don't attend a church, how is your family life? Have you experience much unstableness in your home?"
"No, my family and I are quite happy, thank you."

4) "Have you felt depress lately?"
"No, again, we are very happy as we are."

5) "Do you believe in an afterlife and that those who do not worship our lord Jesus Christ will suffer in an eternity in a realm of fire?"
"Um... I do believe in the possibility of an afterlife. I do not believe in Jesus as a savior, but I do believe in a higher power. As for heaven and hell, I choose not to believe in such things."

6) "Would you be interested if I told you that our church has a real-life prophet in our midst and that these days are the end-days recalled from Revalations and that judgement is upon us, and that this prophet has been sent directly from God to save the souls of you and your family as well as others?"
"No."

7) "Ok.... Well would you like to take this pamphlet that covers in detail what I've discussed this evening? It also discusses our church and why we think you would fit in and make some great friends along the way. And if you do register with our church you will recieve a free bible from the Church of Latter Day Saints."
"No thank you. Again, I am happy where I stand."

They seemed almost shocked and then shook my hand and thanked me for my time etc etc.

Now, the first few questions were fine. But I started to get a bit irritated by the third question. When someone starts poking at my personal life, I tend to get a bit... angry. Then by the 5th question, it just started getting rediculous.

Here is another example...

The other day I was driving toward the mall when I see about 200-300 people from a local church standing on the side of the road holding signs that said things like...
"God hates dead babies"
"Abortion is Murder"
"Gays = Sin = Hell"
And my oh so favorite ones...
"God Hates Liberals"
"Homosexuality is a Disease"

They got a nice finger as I drove past.

I have no problem with people believing WHATEVER they want to believe in, but I do have a major problem when people shove thier beliefs in my face unwantedly.

We are planning to move within the next year. Our goal is to be completely out of here by October of 2008.

my dad came up with a way for dealing with these people when they ask you if you believe in god you ask them how many and which ones

So why is it ok for an actor, athlete, businessman etc to be rich, but not for a man who devotes his life to God? God wants us prosperous, not a bunch of losers. The more you make, the more you can donate to getting people saved. It's a wonderful life! :yay:

maybe its because i don't jesus taught that it is hard for the rich to get into heaven he believe the poor were more holy

I agree, money is not the root of evil, the love of money is, its like Ayn Rand says "So you say money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked yourself what is root of all money?"

There's no reason you can't be rich and devote your life to God, in fact the richer one will be able to help more people and benefit many in our society today (though in the past it might have been different)

the quote is corrupted the true quote is the love of money is the root of all evil

the quote is corrupted the true quote is the love of money is the root of all evil

Uhm...the quote isn't corrupted, thats really what Ayn Rand says...wtf are you talking about? I never said Ayn Rand says the love of money is evil...

:rolleyes:

Try harder

VitalOne, I think you may be suffering from the expectation that all posters understand clear statements all of the time. My experience has led me to understand this is not true.

Uhm...the quote isn't corrupted, thats really what Ayn Rand says...wtf are you talking about? I never said Ayn Rand says the love of money is evil...

:rolleyes:

Try harder

she is quoting something else and her quote from that is corrupted. i believe some one said it was from timothy 6:10 many people have said the line money is the root of all evil but that is corrupted from the love of money is the root of all evil. when she said money was the root of all evil that is not the quote but it is usually quoted as such and i provided the true quote. all i was saying was here quote is based of a corruption of a phrase i believe my intent was well understood by all except for you

she is quoting something else and her quote from that is corrupted. i believe some one said it was from timothy 6:10 many people have said the line money is the root of all evil but that is corrupted from the love of money is the root of all evil. when she said money was the root of all evil that is not the quote but it is usually quoted as such and i provided the true quote. all i was saying was here quote is based of a corruption of a phrase i believe my intent was well understood by all except for you

What are you talking about? No one said money is the root of all evil...you're making shit up

What quote are you talking about? If you mean Ayn Rand, she was talking about how people commonly say "money is the root of all evil", she never said the Bible says money is the root of all evil

i mention that the true quote is the love of money is the root of all evil and someelse said that it is quoted from timothy 6:10

Well if some rich Christian really wants to use their wealth to save me I'm available for about $150,000. :tempted:

A little roundup here:

Found this... it was a letter to some Evangelist Group...

Think about it. Imagine the horrors Hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

He states a good point when he highlights the ironies of a how they say they have unconditional love for others yet are quick to hate.

Uhh...I thought we were supposed to get all pissed off if the religious types got up in our faces? Which is we're supposed to want, then?

In India, Christian orgs lay near temples for "prey" who had come to pray and try to brainwash people coming out of the temples, with pamphlets, bibles and freebies.
And they don't do this near mosques or they will need the saviour right away.

Says a lot.

M*W: The mother owns her own body. Babies are parasites.

You cannot be serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back