Free Will?

everneo said:
That is to say, that God knows all the outcomes but does not need to fix a specific outcome.
I'm inclined to agree, Neo.
-
If he has absolute knowledge about future (predetermining), his own freewill is disabled.
Why? Future only exists to us - we are in time; God isn't. God sees all time. His Free Will is disabled if He is bounded by the "time He is seeing". :D

Flatly speaking, God's "Free Will" only requires application to "our timeline" at the creation event. His Will may have set things in motion so It is enforced throughout the progression of time, naturally leaving the undetermined elements subject to our will. His Will would still exist and He would still be free to act, but He just woudn't need to.

Last edited:
yuri_sakazaki said:
Please, no 'God doesn't exist' or 'religion needs no proof' comments. Now, if God is omniscient and knows what will happen at any time any where as He is also timeless (I understand it that He is not just eternal, but is not bound to time and is aware of all that will happen in the future as well as what is happening now), how could He create humans with free will? He knows everything that all people, angels, creatures, etc will do. By knowing what they will do, and creating them in one distinct way so that He knows they'll do it, there is no free will. He has created us to operate in one way, as was intended at the moment of our creation, and if He knows that then there can't be any variation. I can't figure out where free will comes in, because if we have it then there has to be variation and therefore a lack of omniscience. I'd appreciate enlightenment on this, thanks.
God is never omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent biblically speaking.

water said:
Please then, why don't we say that Peter's character, his values and preferences, his upbringing -- all this was preventing Peter to exercise his free will?

Yes, all you mentioned form the identity of Peter.

But you shall focus on onething. Peter was not accustomed to critical thinking (as Plato learned it from Socrates.) Peter's association with Jesus was based on his emotions and awe and love of Jesus. He believed Jesus was invincible. He was 'brave' to cut the ear of a soldier who came to capture Jesus. But the moment he knew Jesus was not going to use any of his power, Peter got panic and got into self-saving mode. Later, Peter got ashamed of his action - Jesus's prophecy highlighted Peter's shortcomings which were real and overwhelming than his freewill.

You are arguing from free will being some absolutistic ideal. Nobody really has it then, except god.

Agreed. Human free-will is heavily constrained one when comparing to God's, ofcourse.

And if he would be in "total control of himself", then this would testify of his free will?

Jesus would not have said what he said about Peter in the first place, IMO.

MarcAC said:
Why? Future only exists to us - we are in time; God isn't. God sees all time. His Free Will is disabled if He is bounded by the "time He is seeing".
There is a problem here. If God 'sees' all time, it would be like a stretched out film reel, not like a movie.

everneo said:
There is a problem here. If God 'sees' all time, it would be like a stretched out film reel, not like a movie.
For me, not necessarily - according to Einstein's Relativity we may not exist in the same time right now depending on the speeds you have travelled at throughout your life relative to me.

We are not God. We exist in the 3+1 dimensions... He may exist in an essentially infinite amount. Regardless of how God sees things, we still have our free will and and live as we do as long as He doesn't influence us in any way (knowledge is not action - that's the crux).

Everything else may be considered irrelevant (and pointless as I got from cole grey's post - but fun anyway) because we have to function on what we percieve and we "percieve" our free will (for a determinist there is no "we" so the whole idea of free will is moot and their opinion doesn't really matter). :D

We should remember that "seeing" away from now is not that difficult a feat for us humans. We see the Sun 8+ min ago when we look at it, we see the universe billions of years ago through telescopes, we may "see" as far back as memory will permit us, we "see" into the future with computer models... why should it be so hard for God to see it all?

I recommend this book. If you like to tease your mind with the concept of extra dimensions in relation to God you might like it.

Ross (author) puts God in our place (3+1) and puts us into the world of 2D ("2+1 (their time)") cartoons. The cartoons will only see things in 2D. If we were able to push our fingers into their world through the tv screen they'd see some oval looking things just changing shape with time. Regardless, in the world of cartoons our fingers are 2D oval shaped thingys. Lets take them out of the tele for a while and just drop them in free space where their 2+1 (time) is analogous to our 3 (x,y,z).

Now I'll start to invent things: :D

Lets say it is a property of the "megodcartooniverse" that once the 2+1 is viewed from the 3 then the 2+1 are "automatically delineated": i.e. you can see all of each from your 3+1. If the cartoons were to have free will which have consequences for their "future" then all their actions will be "automatically delienated" before our eyes: i.e. the consequences of their actions through their free will are laid out in their time and we see it all as just another dimension.

Within all that the cartoons' free will is preserved, yet we know their future, past, present and they'd never understand it because they'd be saying; "But if it's known then, how can we be free? In essence it is all laid out but it is still determined by your choices. The point still being that knowing it doesn't affect that fact that free will (will)determine(d)(s) what is known.

Sorry... I just really love this stuff...

So let's say I could know everything that ever happened up to now, it wouldn't change anything. Why can't God just look into our future history without affecting it?
If you could travel in time and look into our future history, you don't think that would control all events do you? You would just be observing what "happened".

Edit- This argument assumes that God can't limit God's influence, which is kind of hard to imagine. That is saying God must always act, on everything, at all times, which is true only under a certain viewpoint - our existence just being in the mind of God.

Last edited:
I wonder how an omniscient God knows what He is going to do and what He has done if He is alledged to be "outside of time". The very fact that God cannot act or said to be in the process of acting outside of time renders the entire hodgepodge of guesswork doubly rancid. Not even I presumed to account for God in all my ignorance. Well at least most of the time..

Confounding speculations and arbitrary ad hoc 'solutions'. What a pleasant deviation from the norm.

A God who is seeing even though He is outside of time. :rolleyes:

Selah.

EDIT: No point in saying God's actions don't require time. I'm sure you can believe yet another ad hoc 'solution' if you want to.

Last edited:
water said:
Alright. Then tell me why do so many argue about free will in regards to determinism?

What basis is there to assume that determinism somehow obstructs our free will?

Free will is a biological impossibility. Arguments from determinism merely add flavor to the soup.

MarcAC said:
For me, not necessarily - according to Einstein's Relativity we may not exist in the same time right now depending on the speeds you have travelled at throughout your life relative to me.

right now our relative velocity is insignificant when comparing to relativistic velocities. We share the common present of our world.

We are not God. We exist in the 3+1 dimensions... He may exist in an essentially infinite amount. Regardless of how God sees things, we still have our free will and and live as we do as long as He doesn't influence us in any way (knowledge is not action - that's the crux).

It is not honest on the part of God to say that he gave freewill to humans IF he absolutely knows/sees our future. Since God is infallible, we are already destined follow the path that God sees. This is different from "God knowing all the possibilities but does not fix any specific outcome."

everneo said:
Please then, why don't we say that Peter's character, his values and preferences, his upbringing -- all this was preventing Peter to exercise his free will?

Yes, all you mentioned form the identity of Peter.

But you shall focus on onething. Peter was not accustomed to critical thinking (as Plato learned it from Socrates.) Peter's association with Jesus was based on his emotions and awe and love of Jesus. He believed Jesus was invincible. He was 'brave' to cut the ear of a soldier who came to capture Jesus. But the moment he knew Jesus was not going to use any of his power, Peter got panic and got into self-saving mode. Later, Peter got ashamed of his action - Jesus's prophecy highlighted Peter's shortcomings which were real and overwhelming than his freewill.

You make me cry, you know this?

A person's character, values, preferences, upbringing HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR FREE WILL.

Connect the concept of free will to character, and you are committig psycho-sociological separatism, by saying who has more free will, and who has less, and who has none.
It will all come down to who is a better person, and who is a worse person; measured by some idealistic humanistic standards of what it "means to be a worthy human".
Then, it is just one tiny step to psycho-sociological eugenics.

You are arguing from free will being some absolutistic ideal. Nobody really has it then, except god.

Agreed. Human free-will is heavily constrained one when comparing to God's, ofcourse.

What reasons do you have for arguing about free will this way, from this foundation?

Also, in the light of this, how do you view your own free will?

And if he would be in "total control of himself", then this would testify of his free will?

Jesus would not have said what he said about Peter in the first place, IMO.

I see how you come to this conclusion.
"If Peter wouldn't be Peter, the he wouldn't do and say the things he did. And other thigns would be different as well."
What's next? If humans wouldn't be humans, ..., they would be gods, and they wouldn't need God, neither be obliged to God.
You are arguing from perfectionism.

SouthStar said:
Free will is a biological impossibility.

How the hell is free will "a biological impossibility"?!
Next thing you'll know, people will be saying that love is a biological impossibility. That meaning is a biological impossibility. That society is a biological impossibility. That having a name is a biological impossibility. That humanity is a biological impossibility.

ad hoc - like godel's incompleteness theorems, oh, and all math. Conventions, and things that make sense, and sometimes conventions that don't make sense.

If you are willing to throw out the "God" baby, with the "I don't understand" bathwater, that is fine with me, I'm not. We are all entitled to our opinions. You can stick with fish logic, it is good for you since a fish would never be able to do an "ad hoc", hahaha. <---dumb joke

water said:
You make me cry, you know this?

A person's character, values, preferences, upbringing HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR FREE WILL.

really? If a person cannot even try to do what he really wants, all the above combo forsaken him.

Connect the concept of free will to character, and you are committig psycho-sociological separatism, by saying who has more free will, and who has less, and who has none.
It will all come down to who is a better person, and who is a worse person; measured by some idealistic humanistic standards of what it "means to be a worthy human".
Then, it is just one tiny step to psycho-sociological eugenics.

Read the above reply. It is not about the amount of freewill, it is about the ability to exercise it.

What reasons do you have for arguing about free will this way, from this foundation?

Also, in the light of this, how do you view your own free will?

I am not arguing about the type of freewill thats about flying to venus overnight. Read the adjective - "constrained".

I see how you come to this conclusion.
"If Peter wouldn't be Peter, the he wouldn't do and say the things he did. And other thigns would be different as well."
What's next? If humans wouldn't be humans, ..., they would be gods, and they wouldn't need God, neither be obliged to God.
You are arguing from perfectionism.

Its your own deduction, a silly one.

The expanded one for your help :

water said:

If Peter used to be 'in total control of himself' unlike 'an emotional, panicking' Peter then Jesus would not have said what he said about Peter int he first place.

WATER said:
SouthStar said:
Free will is a biological impossibility.

How the hell is free will "a biological impossibility"?!

maybe southstar doesnt have the strength of will to exercise self directed action, therefore he thinks it must be a biological condition and everyone is the same as him, having no free will.

Last edited:
ellion said:
maybe southstar doesnt have the strength of will to exercise self directed action, therefore he thinks it must be a biological condition and everyone is the same ass him, having no free will.
Just because this is true, you don't have to call southstar an "ass", that is messed up.

Edit-
Also, how hard would it be, for a being that exists in all of our time, to act in such a way that we experienced it in our time? Not very.

Last edited:
everneo said:
really? If a person cannot even try to do what he really wants, all the above combo forsaken him.

1. Are you so sure Peter did really not want to betray Jesus?
2. Are you so sure that Peter's faith was perfect?
Are you so sure that Peter truly only wanted to serve Jesus?

The issue in the Garden doesn't have to do with the lack of free will, but with the lack of faith.

Read the above reply. It is not about the amount of freewill, it is about the ability to exercise it.

Then say so. I have been going on about this for ... ages here. Just because we have limited abilities and limited knowledge, does not mean that we have limited free will.

I am not arguing about the type of freewill thats about flying to venus overnight. Read the adjective - "constrained".

But your basis premise is that free will is an absolutistic ideal.

If Peter used to be 'in total control of himself' unlike 'an emotional, panicking' Peter then Jesus would not have said what he said about Peter int he first place.

No.
If anything, If Peter used to be 'in total control of himself' unlike 'an emotional, panicking' Peter then Peter would not have done what Peter did.

See, if you relegate Peter's betrayal to being something resulting from his unfortified character, etc. -- then you are denying both Peter's free will, and what is more, Peter's responsibility.

This implies that the concepts of free will and responsibility are inherently relativistic -- and nobody is really guilty of any tresspass he has comitted, neither can he be ascribed any other action, be it good or bad.

Argue this way, and God is completely redundant, and Jesus' sacrifice null and void.

ellion said:
maybe southstar doesnt have the strength of will to exercise self directed action, therefore he thinks it must be a biological condition and everyone is the same as him, having no free will.

This is why I have been telling him that I will come to get him, and he will meet my fists. Then he'll learn something about free will.

:p
I mean it.

cole grey said:
Also, how hard would it be, for a being that exists in all of our time, to act in such a way that we experienced it in our time? Not very.

What exactly do you mean?

water said:
everneo said:

1. Why should he hang around a captured, apparently helpless Jesus ? To betray him deliberately?

2. The question is strange. What is a perfect faith? If he had perfect faith the question of fear or freewill is moot.

3. Are you so sure otherwise ?

Then say so. I have been going on about this for ... ages here. Just because we have limited abilities and limited knowledge, does not mean that we have limited free will.

I don't think my fantasy of building a villa in Sun will be considered as my unlimited free will notwithstanding my abilities or knowledge.

I don't know why do you say that, but what you are talking is not freewill, it is fantasy.

No.
If anything, If Peter used to be 'in total control of himself' unlike 'an emotional, panicking' Peter then Peter would not have done what Peter did.

yeah, Peter would not have done what he did, so what? what is your point?

See, if you relegate Peter's betrayal to being something resulting from his unfortified character, etc. -- then you are denying both Peter's free will, and what is more, Peter's responsibility.

Peter is responsible for his shortcomings primarily. People still have the ability to learn and change even at that age.

can i ask both water and everneo
would you agree because peter was unable to do what he would have liked to do in his heart or what he felt was right does that mean he has no free will?

for me it means that in this instance the strength of his will was overcome by the strength of his emotions, but he has free will and there will be circumstances wherein he shall determine his fate.

or are you talking bout something else?

ellion said:
for me it means that in this instance the strength of his will was overcome by the strength of his emotions, but he has free will and there will be circumstances wherein he shall determine his fate.

exactly.

Edit :

would you agree because peter was unable to do what he would have liked to do in his heart or what he felt was right does that mean he has no free will?

I guess you missed a 'not' in the last part. "it does not mean he has no free will" is compatible with your next sentence that i agreed with.

Last edited:
everneo said:

1. Why should he hang around a captured, apparently helpless Jesus ? To betray him deliberately?

The issue may become moot if we look at it from this perspective: One can do something without actually deliberately deciding to do it.

Like in the morning, when the alarm goes off, and you know you must get up. You wish to stay in bed, and you think how good it would be if you could sleep a little longer. You then fall asleep again, and oversleep.

You have never decided to not get out of bed, but you have stayed in bed nonetheless.

You are still responsible for oversleeping and being late for work.

Something similar could be Peter's case: He never deliberately wanted to betray Jesus, but he never decided otherwise either. Peter "went with the flow", and so "one thing led to another".

This qualifies as sin: To know that something is wrong, but indulging it. -- It's the "sinful nature of man".

Know that Peter would have acted the way he did with or without hearing Jesus' prophecy.
Prophecies don't change the course of action, even though we think they do, or could. That's the whole point: Prophecies can be made only from a perspective that we humans do not have. They are a truth that fills us with awe. (All this of course if we believe the prophecy to be true!)

Compare:
Prophecy 1 (P1) may say: "You will be married in 2 years from now."
"Grand," you think, "this is what I have always wanted, I'm glad to hear it. Now I don't have to worry anymore."

Prophecy 2 (P2) may say: "You will die in an elevator in July this year." And you think, "Oh no, I will avoid elevators like the plague!"

Depending on what the prophecy says, we tend to direct our actions (or non-actions). (If we believe the prophecy, of course!)

P1 is in accordance with your desires, and you don't worry much about it, you see yourself approved in it.

P2 is announcing something harmful for you, you find yourself threatened -- and you act on this to avoid it.

A prophecy is important inasmuch as it shows your true character -- what you do or wish to do after you've heard the prophecy reveals your faith, your outlook on life.

If you are fine with the prophecy -- whatever it is --, then this shows you are firm in your faith (whatever it is).

If you are not fine with the prophecy -- whatever it is, -- this shows that there are discrepancies in your faith, in your desires.

I assume God took into account how paralyzing it can be for a human to know a prophecy, and this is why He made so few, and such that had something to do with humans knowing Him.

2. The question is strange. What is a perfect faith? If he had perfect faith the question of fear or freewill is moot.

Why do you think that perfect faith makes the question of fear and free will moot?

3. Are you so sure otherwise ?

It's possible that Peter thought he could "get away with it".

Think of the example of oversleeping without actually deciding so: you are *postponing* your decision to get up for so long that the situation decides for you.

It applies that Peter postponed his decision to fully believe in God for so long, that the situation (other people, events taking place in the Garden) decided for him.

Your faith is not true and efficient if you always leave a backdoor open for escape. Pascal's Wager suggest exactly this: to always leave a backdoor open for escape ("And if there is no God, you've still lost nothing, and if there is God, then you've everything to gain.").
To postpone deciding to get up when the alarm goes off.
To postpone having faith.

Were it not for God's grace, we'd be doomed.

Just because we have limited abilities and limited knowledge, does not mean that we have limited free will.

I don't think my fantasy of building a villa in Sun will be considered as my unlimited free will notwithstanding my abilities or knowledge.

I don't understand.

I don't know why do you say that, but what you are talking is not freewill, it is fantasy.

Said earlier:

everneo said:
water said:

Then what exactly have you agreed with?

No.

yeah, Peter would not have done what he did, so what? what is your point?

You said:

My point is that the above is a non sequitur, unless you add some inferences.

Peter is responsible for his shortcomings primarily. People still have the ability to learn and change even at that age.

If he is responsible for an act he did, then it is ascribed to him as an act of his free will.

ellion said:

Take the above example with oversleeping (with the parameters give there).

If I say that I know in my heart and in my mind, that I should get up at the alarm -- then this testifies that I know exactly what outcome of my actions I desire. I thereby declare my responsibility.

But then I find myself "unable to do what I would have liked to do", and don't get up and I oversleep.

Is this due to a lack of free will? No. It's sloth of the mind and the heart -- lack of faith.

Emotions are often used as an appropriate scapegoat. As if emotions were some mysterious power that one has no control over, some force that overcomes one and one is helpless against it. A monster living in your bosom.
This is, once more, a relegation of responsibility.

Note: If you declare emotions to be the factor that can change the course of your free will, this eventually leads to declaring that "you can't help yourself, it happens" -- you abdicate your free will and responsibility.
But if you do that, you need to be consistent, and do it in good and in bad: If you, in anger, tell someone to go fuck himself and then say you're not responsible for this, for you have been overcome by your emotions, and this is why there should be no consequences; then you also have to say that when you declare your love for someone, you're not responsible for that either, and your saying "I love you" is to have no consequences for you.

WATER said:
If he is responsible for an act he did, then it is ascribed to him as an act of his free will.
would you say that peter has chosen but his choice has been affected by factors such as fear for his own life, lack of faith etc.

it is similar in the example of getting out of bed

you wake knowing you have to get up, the warmth and the comfort that are caressing you are much friendlier than the thought of washing, shaving and rushhour bleargh.

in both these situations there is a heavy influence to care for the self.
in peters case it is more extreme he has just witnessed and been party to some cosmically significant tribulations, i dont think he would have had his honest and faithful, straight thinking and emotionally stable head on that night.

Emotions are often used as an appropriate scapegoat. As if emotions were some mysterious power that one has no control over, some force that overcomes one and one is helpless against it. A monster living in your bosom.
emotions are often used as a scapegoat.
emotions are sometimes mysterious and powerful and sometimes they control us.
i am not saying they are the ruling force in life but they have as much impact on our free will as our cognition may be more.
for some people emotions are very much a monster living in their bosom, and they will constantly find themselves fighting that monster. saying this is a relegation of responsibility is true, if we are not taking responsibility for our emotions also. if i get angry with someone i need to take responsibility for how that anger is directed. if it is misplaced or inappropriate i need to take responsibility for the consequences of my emotional outbursts.

If you declare emotions to be the factor that can change the course of your free will, this eventually leads to declaring that "you can't help yourself, it happens" -- you abdicate your free will and responsibility.
i think you have painted this picture in black and white when there is a pallete full of colours that you have overlooked.
but yes your right people can and do use it to abdicate responsibility... people decieve themselves in many ways.

Back