Free Will?

I think we're talking about free will in two different ways...free will in connection with the future...and a literal definition of what free will is or should be.

It's the knowing the future bit that clashes with my philosophy. One example in the bible is when jesus told peter that he would betray him 3 times before the cock crows. And lo and behold peter did. If peter was a predictable person because maybe he was a bit of a coward then it would have been easy for jesus or ANYBODY to see that peter would deny knowing jesus fearing for his own safety instead. But having true free will peter could have thought it over, when confronted by the romans for the 3rd time, and have had a change of heart and say to himself... "Man! jesus was right, I am a coward. Well no more my lord! I will stand with you!" ( dramatic aren't I? :) ) Free will should make that option possible for peter. But somehow jesus knew it wasn't in the cards. I still like to know how he knew that peter would deny him EXACTLY 3 times, instead twice or 4 times. Almost like it already happened...oh but it did!...it already happened in the future!!! Therefore our future seems to determine our present. Sheesh! No wonder I get headaches talking about this.

BTW...do we even know that "time" exists? We can't demonstrate it experimentally. It only exists in the mathematical equations of wishful thinking scientists.

yuri_sakazaki said:
everneo (and everyone else), I get it now. Some of my comments must have seemed ridiculously nonsensical because I didn't understand certain aspects of what you were saying, so thanks for sticking with me, and cole grey is right even if half of your comments were in reference to me =P So you people can keep arguing it, but I got the answer I started the thread for.

yuri, nice that you got the answer.

I too got fed up repeating when someone pops up, reads only my last post and questions my intelligence and just asserts what he thinks as truth. Atleast you asked questions instead of just declaring some nonsense. Cheers.

Mario,

For example, I could say, "Mario, you will post 5 more posts in this thread before the end of this month."
Me saying this might influence your posting frequency -- because of what I said and you might think, "Oh, how geekish of me to post so much in this thread". I won't influence you because I had some power over you that you could not resist.

But I'm not God, and I dont' think I can make prophecies, so what I say counts as "influence" only if you decide to take heed of it -- thus it is all your doing.

We know the story about Peter ex post, after it has already happened. This is how Jesus' prophecy seemingly has power over Peter, when it fact, it doesn't, and Peter's free will is intact.

Like I said, I could say, "Mario, you will post 5 more posts in this thread before the end of this month." But until this month is over, we won't know what the outcome will be.

The difference between Jesus and me is that Jesus had prophetic powers, and I don't. So if by the end of this month you won't post 5 more posts in this thread, this only confirms that *I* don't have prophetic powers. It says nothing about your free will.

Peter is not going to exercise his free-will because of fear. 'Free-will under suspension' is as good/bad as predetermined. Jesus told him what is in store for him.

everneo said:
Someone suddenly feels insulted on the 5th page. Excuse me, fault is not mine.
but it is, as you were the one making stupid remarks,
everneo said:
I am not sure about your question, how God could be considered limited. For not knowing absolutely about the future of certain things ?
hence the tag "insult you own intelligence" meaning please keep your foolish remarks to yourself, dont try to make us out to be fools, or dont act like a fool.
and no, they dont actually feel insulted, it's just a saying.

I tried to tell you myself, earlier in this thread. regarding omniscients, omnipresence.

audible said:
everneo said:
Someone suddenly feels insulted on the 5th page. Excuse me, fault is not mine.

but it is, as you were the one making stupid remarks,
everneo said:
I am not sure about your question, how God could be considered limited. For not knowing absolutely about the future of certain things ?

hence the tag "insult you own intelligence" meaning please keep your foolish remarks to yourself, dont try to make us out to be fools, or dont act like a fool.
and no, they dont actually feel insulted, it's just a saying.

I tried to tell you myself, earlier in this thread. regarding omniscients, omnipresence.

Fault is not mine. I already explained the rational behind my opinion in previous pages.
Before spewing out comments in a typical pseudo-rationalist style, read again what i already
said. If you are too lazy to do that, i reproduce my post on the 4th page :

"The paradox lies in the proposition that omniscience includes the absolute knowledge of future as if the future (time) is already laid out like any spacial dimension. Future is nothing but yet to happen hence is non-existent at present.

Arguing that an omniscient God should know absolutely about the future (non-existing) is akin to that an omniscient God should know absolutely about how many teeth an invisible green cow (non-existing) has. Atleast, i don't expect this type of difinition for omniscience, that is nonsense as you said, from atheists (viz you, the preacher, miss-something etc).

And an omnipotent God having his own free-will can make the future
as he likes rather than predetermining anything in advance for the sake of having 'absolute knowledge about future'. In short, predetermining & absolute knowledge about 'future' are not as advantageous as omnipotence, free-will and knowledge about all existing/existed things (omniscience real-time) for God."

Call me stupid, after you counter this with your intelligence if you are too proud of it, i am waiting.

Cole grey said, "Glad I could be of little assistance, haha. "
Water said, "And you attribute this to ...?"

Me not having an answer, and just complaining about the problem.

water said:
If we are to bring God into the discussion of free will, then it makes no sense to doubt the characteristics of God as given in the Bible.
Only if we are talking about the God of the bible. Using the word, "God" doesn't necessarily have to reference that God. And saying, "this is how God is described in the bible", is a bit specious. We are all still arguing about that too.
I do agree that we have to start somewhere though, even if we are stuck with fish-logic.

Regarding Peter, perhaps peter wasn't free to decide what he was going to do, perhaps that was set up through any number of channels. Perhaps he was only free to feel bad about it, and use the "mistake" of denying christ to learn humility, compassion, or to have a sense of god's forgiveness spur him on to starting a really big church.
We already know action is limited, perhaps our free-will is only for our attitude? (although that is limited too)

It's essentially a problem of time perspectives again.

For us, ex post, the past seems as if it were predetermined.
But the future doesn't seem predetermined ex ante -- merely due to the fact that we don't know it yet.

Put yourself in the situation in the Garden: You do not know what will happen, you act as you see fit. No matter what anyone says.

Everneo,

"Peter is not going to exercise his free-will because of fear. 'Free-will under suspension' is as good/bad as predetermined. Jesus told him what is in store for him. "

This is not a fair argument. If I had prophetic powers and would tell you "Tomorrow you will hit someone with your car and they will die" -- this may affect your actions in that you decide to stay away from the car. But *something* can happen, some urgent situation, and you'll sit into the car nonetheless, and hit the person, even though you had no intention to. It is this something, this urgent situation that you have no control over that will happen and that I, if I had prophetic powers, could predict. But this doesn't mean you have no free will: you just can't control the world around you.

Finally, it is beginning to come through.

That we have a free will is a matter of our ethical persuasion. Not of some quasi-scientific proof.

water said:
"Peter is not going to exercise his free-will because of fear. 'Free-will under suspension' is as good/bad as predetermined. Jesus told him what is in store for him. "

This is not a fair argument. If I had prophetic powers and would tell you "Tomorrow you will hit someone with your car and they will die" -- this may affect your actions in that you decide to stay away from the car. But *something* can happen, some urgent situation, and you'll sit into the car nonetheless, and hit the person, even though you had no intention to. It is this something, this urgent situation that you have no control over that will happen and that I, if I had prophetic powers, could predict. But this doesn't mean you have no free will: you just can't control the world around you.

Fear overcomes Peter preventing to exercise his free-will. Peter was a simple man not accustomed to be in total control of himself. He would be helpless under the circumstances anyway. Prophecy need not deny him his free-will which would be useless then anyway. When you are running away from a couple lions chasing you menacingly, should God wait for your free-will decisions and not predict what is going to happen ?! Ofcourse free-will is very much there to the extent of no use.

everneo said:
"The paradox lies in the proposition that omniscience includes the absolute knowledge of future as if the future (time) is already laid out like any spacial dimension. Future is nothing but yet to happen hence is non-existent at present.
And an omnipotent God having his own free-will can make the future
as he likes rather than predetermining anything in advance for the sake of having 'absolute knowledge about future'. In short, predetermining & absolute knowledge about 'future' are not as advantageous as omnipotence, free-will and knowledge about all existing/existed things (omniscience real-time) for God."

everneo it seems to me that your arguement is for xianitys view of free will. however xians believe in an omnimax god, Free Will contradicts the idea of an Omniscient God. xians cant have it both ways.

perhaps this will clear it up.

who pulls your strings.

From my dictionary:

adj. omnipotent all-powerful
adj. omniscient all-knowing

These are adjectives often applied to the christian god - he is all-powerful, unlimited in his ability, and knows all that can be known. We are often told that God knows all things throughout the entirety of time and space. Everything that can be known, he knows. Everything in the past, present and future is known to God. Fair enough. I wouldn't expect anything less from the Creator Of The Universe.

There's just one small problem...

Free Will. Religion teaches that God gave us free will, so that we may make our own decisions, decide our own futures, with no coercion from God. If we do good things or bad things it is entirely down to us, God just sits back and watches over us.

This makes no sense at all.
If God knows all things throughout time (as he must, if he is omniscient), then he knows every action I perform, every decision I make throughout my life, before I have done them. If God knows exactly what I am going to do on 10th July, 2030, then how can I do anything other than that?

God, however, being the Creator, had prior knowledge of your actions at the time of the Creation, billions of years ago. He set the universe in motion, knowing all that would happen throughout time.

Experiment
Try it for yourself.
Right now, this minute, exert your free will.

Do something, anything at all, that you don't think God could have possibly known you were going to do.

Can you do it? Can you surprise God?

If you can, then God is not omniscient - he is not all-knowing. And if he is not omniscient, then how can he be omnipotent - unlimited in his ability?

If you cannot, then how can you think you have free will? You cannot do anything other than that which God already knows you are going to do.

As an example, let's say you are walking down a corridor:
At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does God knowwhich door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.
If God does not know exactly which door you will take, then he quite simply is not omniscient.

Another example:
Does God know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow?
I'll make it easy for Him : it could be either toast, cereal, porridge or nothing. Four options. Is it possible that God, who is infinitely powerful, in all places at once, having knowledge of all things, who created the space/time universe, who is utterly un-restrained by any physical laws and exists outside the space/time universe, does not know what I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning?
How ridiculous is that? This omnipotent mega-being cannot accurately look 24 hours into my future? Think about it.

Let's say that God knows, infallibly, that in exactly one thousand hours from the time you read this, you will hit your thumb with a hammer whilst putting up a shelf. Let's start at the beginning...

Fourteen billion years ago, God created the universe. At the instant of creation, God knew the precise details of every event during the entire history of the newly-created universe. He knew how the hydrogen would disperse, and eventually condense to form stars and galaxies. He knew which stars would go nova in order to create the elements that will form planets, and He knew which planets would form in orbits suitable to develop and sustain life. He knew how the moon would orbit the Earth, making tides and washing the beaches. He knew where and when the first self-replicating molecules would form, and when the first amphibians would step onto land. He knew about the rise and fall of the reptiles, dinosaurs, birds, mammals, flowering plants and all the other freak accidents that directed the genetic flow through the millions of generations of plants and animals - the meteor strikes, forest fires, plagues, floods and landslides. He knew exactly what would happen to every single one of your ancestors - who would be born, who would die, who would marry whom, and so on, until you appeared. He knew everything that would happen to you in your life - where you would go to school, your exam grades, what jobs you had, where you lived, why you decided to build a shelf, where you earned the money to buy the hammer, where you made marks on the wall to get the shelf nice and level. All these things He knew would come to be as he Created the universe, right up to the exact microsecond that the hammer hit your thumb. When He created it all, He did so sure in the knowledge that at a certain point in time, you would be swearing loudly and holding your thumb under the cold tap (as well as, of course, everything else happening in the universe at that time). God created the universe so that events would unfold in this exact manner. He could have made it so that you were never born, or so that humans never appeared. He could have made it so that every single thing happened differently, or everything was the same apart from your accident.

Either way, you have no free will in the matter. The universe was made in such a way that everything you do must necessarily happen. Assuming, of course, that an omniscient, infallible God is behind it all...

Arguments against
One common counter-argument goes like this:
God knows what you are going to do, yes. But he does not cause you to do it. He simply observes your actions. His prior knowledge does not cause you take that action.

A reasonable argument, but quite flawed. Let's say I use a time-machine to travel forwards in time to next week. I write down all your actions on Thursday in a book, seal the book and travel back again. I present you with the sealed book and tell you not to open it until the end of Thursday. When you read it, you see that I had prior knowledge of all your actions. Did I remove your free will? NO, because I simply observed.
I did not set in motion all the events leading up to your actions, from the creation of the universe. At the moment God created the universe, surely He knew all that would happen throughout it's entire history. If so, then He is directly responsible for all our actions - we have no more choice in what we do than a clockwork toy does. If not, then we are part of some huge experiment which God set in motion without the faintest idea of what would happen - he sits back and observes as people die in terrible wars and plagues, ticking off boxes on His clipboard and writing notes like some emotionless scientist.

Another counter-argument, again flawed:
God exists throughout all time, yes, but he does not actually know what action you will perform until you perform it. He knows what choices you might take, but not the precise one itself.

This is quite absurd. It limits God within time. God, who is supposed be unlimited, existing outside of time, surely cannot be restricted by his own creation - time.

It also suggests that God's mind is filled with all the possible actions of all humans (and, presumably, all other life) throughout all of time. There is a portion of the mind of God devoted to whether or not I am going to pick my nose during every nanosecond of time, which possible objects your eyes could focus on at any particular instant, and which possible routes, to the nearest billionth of a millimeter you could travel on your work way to work. There are an infinite number of possible actions that each one of us could perform during our lifetime. God cannot, by definition, know an infinite number of things. (For the same reason that he cannot make a rock to heavy for him to lift, or create a square circle - it's a logical impossibility; meaningless word-play).

This might sound a little pedantic. But try this : lift your hand into the air - then move it slowly in a circle. How many other possible motions can you make with your hand? Obviously, an infinite number (although many will look quite similar). It is impossible for you to make your hand follow that exact path through space again. There are an infinite number of ways you could wiggle a finger or waggle your head. There are an infinite number of values between 0.0 and 1.0 (you could keep dividing a number forever); there are an infinite number of angles within a circle; there are an infinite number of positions to place an apple on a table, or a star in space, or a toothbrush in your mouth. Does God know what all these are? If something is infinite, as are the possible motions of your hand, then it cannot be known completely.

Therefore, omniscience itself is a logical impossibility. The idea of an omniscient being can be dismissed, quite literally, with a wave of the hand...

( This could be countered by arguing that God only knows about all the big decisions you might consciously make - he's not concerned with finger-wiggling and hand-waving. But how does he decide in advance what he is going to have knowledge of and what is not important enough to know about? Wiggle your fingers now - did God know you were going to do that or not? Was it below his importance-threshold? The more you think about it, the more ridiculous it all becomes. )

A third argument states that:

God can know all your actions, but he chooses not to, to ensure that you have free will.
This is also absurd. God denies himself access to his own knowledge?!? The main problem with this argument is that it defines what God is, how he works. How do you know that God does this? To use this argument is to state that you understand God's mind, which is supposed to incomprehensible to mere mortals.
It is a true cop-out - it cannot be disproved and neatly solves the problem. However, it is up to the person using this argument to prove how they know God does this, not just use it because it neatly sorts things out.

If you truly believe that you have free will, then how can you state that God is truly omniscient? If God does not know what you are going to do, then He is no more omniscient than Me.

I have used this line of reasoning on several occasions when debating religion with theists, and the effect is quite suprising. Theists are quite happy to debate many aspects of their beliefs, but when it comes to free will, the mental barriers slam down into place. People get unreasonably upset by this argument and simply refuse to discuss it any further. It's very odd. I can only suppose that it is because it exposes such a gaping hole in their deeply-held beliefs that they simply refuse to let themselves think about it, because they know that their beliefs will not stand up in the face of this sort of simple logic.

As an afterthought, if God truly cannot see the future, for whatever reasons, then aren't all religious prophecies/predictions completely worthless? If even God does not know if it will come true, then what's the point of it? Or, if God knows it is going to come true (e.g. a certain person will become King at a certain time) then how could the people involved avoid the outcome - where is their free will?

a barnett.

The problem here is that God knows everything that has happened and everything that will happen. It's knowledge cannot be wrong. There is not a single event that it has not foresaw. Given that it created the Universe the way it did, do we have free will? Consider that when God made the Universe it could see every possible result of what it was doing. Which means: it could not create something without knowing what the results would be, and without knowing how it would effect and or be affected by the things around it.

Let's say that bert has a choice that will save his life, to accept God or not to accept God and the final choice is to be made tomorrow. God knows already what choice he will make - God cannot be wrong therefore bert cannot choose otherwise to what God has predicted. When God created the chain of events that made bert it also knew that it was making bert's choice for him, and knew how the various circumstances and character would make him choose either right or wrong. bert would go forth and make that very decision that God knew he would make, and by virtue that God knowingly set up all the factors that affected his decision, it was not up to bert but to God to decide how bert would fare.

This leaves us with three results, two of which have to be wrong.

God does not have full knowledge.
God created everything with full knowledge and we have no free will to change it.
God did not make the Universe he does not exist.

pavlosmarcos said:
This leaves us with three results, two of which have to be wrong.

God does not have full knowledge.
God created everything with full knowledge and we have no free will to change it.
God did not make the Universe he does not exist.

or something you havent thought of yet.

everneo said:
Fear overcomes Peter preventing to exercise his free-will.

Please then, why don't we say that Peter's character, his values and preferences, his upbringing -- all this was preventing Peter to exercise his free will?

You are arguing from free will being some absolutistic ideal. Nobody really has it then, except god.

Peter was a simple man not accustomed to be in total control of himself.

And if he would be in "total control of himself", then this would testify of his free will?

cole grey said:
Cole grey said, "Glad I could be of little assistance, haha. "
Water said, "And you attribute this to ...?"

Me not having an answer, and just complaining about the problem.

To what do you attribute you ability to complain about the problem?

audible would i be right in thinking that this is the crux of your argument?
audible said:
If God knows all things throughout time (as he must, if he is omniscient), then he knows every action I perform, every decision I make throughout my life, before I have done them. If God knows exactly what I am going to do on 10th July, 2030, then how can I do anything other than that?

if god knows what you will do on the 10th 0f july 2030 your right you cant do anything else. this is not a restriction of your free will however it the observation of the exercise of your free will.

i think this is a large paradox for people, but this paradox is caused by the perspective used to veiw this concept.

we are seeing the event from before the event as though the event hasnt happened. which in our life and with our awareness it hasnt.

for an omni-god, he would be present and aware in the future and the past as well as the present. an omni-god who has all sentience, all awareness, would experience the future and the past with a much greater clarity than we view our present (not to mention our past)

on the 10th of july 2030 the omni-god seen what you done before you had done it. it was your actions and your decisions in response to your circumstance, it was the exercising of your free will, in what ever capacity you have, that lead you to that event on july 10 2030. you cannot do anything other than what the omni-god seen you do because that is what you did on that day.

ellion said:
or something you havent thought of yet.
thats not really a possiblity, now is it.

ellion said:
audible would i be right in thinking that this is the crux of your argument?
and you will find audible has already covered that arguement in his post
audible said:
Arguments against
God knows what you are going to do, yes. But he does not cause you to do it. He simply observes your actions. His prior knowledge does not cause you take that action.

A reasonable argument, but quite flawed. Let's say I use a time-machine to travel forwards in time to next week. I write down all your actions on Thursday in a book, seal the book and travel back again. I present you with the sealed book and tell you not to open it until the end of Thursday. When you read it, you see that I had prior knowledge of all your actions. Did I remove your free will? NO, because I simply observed.
I did not set in motion all the events leading up to your actions, from the creation of the universe. At the moment God created the universe, surely He knew all that would happen throughout it's entire history. If so, then He is directly responsible for all our actions - we have no more choice in what we do than a clockwork toy does. If not, then we are part of some huge experiment which God set in motion without the faintest idea of what would happen - he sits back and observes as people die in terrible wars and plagues, ticking off boxes on His clipboard and writing notes like some emotionless scientist

God exists throughout all time, yes, but he does not actually know what action you will perform until you perform it. He knows what choices you might take, but not the precise one itself.

This is quite absurd. It limits God within time. God, who is supposed be unlimited, existing outside of time, surely cannot be restricted by his own creation - time.

It also suggests that God's mind is filled with all the possible actions of all humans (and, presumably, all other life) throughout all of time. There is a portion of the mind of God devoted to whether or not I am going to pick my nose during every nanosecond of time, which possible objects your eyes could focus on at any particular instant, and which possible routes, to the nearest billionth of a millimeter you could travel on your work way to work. There are an infinite number of possible actions that each one of us could perform during our lifetime. God cannot, by definition, know an infinite number of things. (For the same reason that he cannot make a rock to heavy for him to lift, or create a square circle - it's a logical impossibility; meaningless word-play).

This might sound a little pedantic. But try this : lift your hand into the air - then move it slowly in a circle. How many other possible motions can you make with your hand? Obviously, an infinite number (although many will look quite similar). It is impossible for you to make your hand follow that exact path through space again. There are an infinite number of ways you could wiggle a finger or waggle your head. There are an infinite number of values between 0.0 and 1.0 (you could keep dividing a number forever); there are an infinite number of angles within a circle; there are an infinite number of positions to place an apple on a table, or a star in space, or a toothbrush in your mouth. Does God know what all these are? If something is infinite, as are the possible motions of your hand, then it cannot be known completely.

Therefore, omniscience itself is a logical impossibility. The idea of an omniscient being can be dismissed, quite literally, with a wave of the hand...

( This could be countered by arguing that God only knows about all the big decisions you might consciously make - he's not concerned with finger-wiggling and hand-waving. But how does he decide in advance what he is going to have knowledge of and what is not important enough to know about? Wiggle your fingers now - did God know you were going to do that or not? Was it below his importance-threshold? The more you think about it, the more ridiculous it all becomes. )

pavlosmarcos said:
thats not really a possiblity, now is it.
its not really a possibility that there is an explantion you never thought of?

yes audible covered the argument but he never really made any definite rebuttal. he has just stated; "this is one flawed argument" "here is an example of the flawed argument" a pretty good example too, but he never actually said where the argument is flawed.
of course he did point his finger accusingly at god for the creation and for allowing death and disease, but he never said what was wrong with the argument.

audible said:
everneo it seems to me that your arguement is for xianitys view of free will. however xians believe in an omnimax god, Free Will contradicts the idea of an Omniscient God. xians cant have it both ways.
Most of the christians cannot agree with me either, when i said, omniscience does not NEED to include the absolute knowledge about the future, that is yet to happen and non-existant. That is to say, that God knows all the outcomes but does not need to fix a specific outcome.

The christian God seems to give warning like 'do change yourself else ready to face these punishments'. If he already predetermined the future by way of absolutely knowing what is going to happen, there won't be any room for flexibilty for him to change the predetermined future. That would be prove him wrong on his absolute knowledge of what is going to happen. The only thing sound possible is to keep the future open, not predetermine in advance, enforce the future with his omnipotence as things develop as per his own freewill and freewill of others.

who pulls your strings.

From my dictionary:

adj. omnipotent all-powerful
adj. omniscient all-knowing

These are adjectives often applied to the christian god - he is all-powerful, unlimited in his ability, and knows all that can be known. We are often told that God knows all things throughout the entirety of time and space. Everything that can be known, he knows. Everything in the past, present and future is known to God. Fair enough. I wouldn't expect anything less from the Creator Of The Universe.

If he is going to make the future with his omnipotence, future need not exist already, nor laid out like space. Omniscience sticks to the absolute knowledge of real, existed/existing things not non-existiing future. When he makes the future real-time he has the abosolute knowledge of it.

There's just one small problem...

Free Will. Religion teaches that God gave us free will, so that we may make our own decisions, decide our own futures, with no coercion from God. If we do good things or bad things it is entirely down to us, God just sits back and watches over us.

This makes no sense at all.

God, however, being the Creator, had prior knowledge of your actions at the time of the Creation, billions of years ago. He set the universe in motion, knowing all that would happen throughout time.

This means God already fixed a specific outcome, he predetermined. No free will for humans. But what is the need of fixing any specific path in advance if omnipotence & his own freewill (and the little freewill of humans) that are more than sufficient at his disposal ? It may help keep him an idle witness if there are no humans, only the universe controled by the laws he designed.
Or certain degree of predeterminism might not fully disable the human freewill as well God's.

Like, instead of a thorough protocol i just say you that we will have a meeting in London coming sunday. It is upto you to arrive there at anytime on sunday by any mode of transportation, by any route. But you should have a meeting on that day in that city. When we meet i will give you the cheque for sure.

Experiment
Try it for yourself.
Right now, this minute, exert your free will.

Do something, anything at all, that you don't think God could have possibly known you were going to do.

Can you do it? Can you surprise God?

If you can, then God is not omniscient - he is not all-knowing. And if he is not omniscient, then how can he be omnipotent - unlimited in his ability?

If you cannot, then how can you think you have free will? You cannot do anything other than that which God already knows you are going to do.

If he is ready with the knowledge of all the possible outcomes (not fixed a specific outcome, ofcourse), omnipotent then with my limited freewill i can never surprise him with a specific outcome of my choice.

As an example, let's say you are walking down a corridor:
At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does God knowwhich door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.
If God does not know exactly which door you will take, then he quite simply is not omniscient.

You give the choice to God. Ask him whether he wants to predetermine my choice of door OR not knowing which one i will choose ?

I won't be surprised if he tells "Let him choose whatever door, I don't bother, I know what to do if he chooses any of them. No big stake."

Another example:
Does God know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow?
I'll make it easy for Him : it could be either toast, cereal, porridge or nothing. Four options. Is it possible that God, who is infinitely powerful, in all places at once, having knowledge of all things, who created the space/time universe, who is utterly un-restrained by any physical laws and exists outside the space/time universe, does not know what I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning?
How ridiculous is that? This omnipotent mega-being cannot accurately look 24 hours into my future? Think about it.

Such a big fellow would not bother about your choice, he knows what to do in any case.

Let's say that God knows, infallibly, that in exactly one thousand hours from the time you read this, you will hit your thumb with a hammer whilst putting up a shelf. Let's start at the beginning...

Fourteen billion years ago, God created the universe. At the instant of creation, God knew the precise details of every event during the entire history of the newly-created universe. He knew how the hydrogen would disperse, and eventually condense to form stars and galaxies. He knew which stars would go nova in order to create the elements that will form planets, and He knew which planets would form in orbits suitable to develop and sustain life. He knew how the moon would orbit the Earth, making tides and washing the beaches. He knew where and when the first self-replicating molecules would form, and when the first amphibians would step onto land. He knew about the rise and fall of the reptiles, dinosaurs, birds, mammals, flowering plants and all the other freak accidents that directed the genetic flow through the millions of generations of plants and animals - the meteor strikes, forest fires, plagues, floods and landslides. He knew exactly what would happen to every single one of your ancestors - who would be born, who would die, who would marry whom, and so on, until you appeared. He knew everything that would happen to you in your life - where you would go to school, your exam grades, what jobs you had, where you lived, why you decided to build a shelf, where you earned the money to buy the hammer, where you made marks on the wall to get the shelf nice and level. All these things He knew would come to be as he Created the universe, right up to the exact microsecond that the hammer hit your thumb. When He created it all, He did so sure in the knowledge that at a certain point in time, you would be swearing loudly and holding your thumb under the cold tap (as well as, of course, everything else happening in the universe at that time). God created the universe so that events would unfold in this exact manner. He could have made it so that you were never born, or so that humans never appeared. He could have made it so that every single thing happened differently, or everything was the same apart from your accident.

Either way, you have no free will in the matter. The universe was made in such a way that everything you do must necessarily happen. Assuming, of course, that an omniscient, infallible God is behind it all...

In this case, he had predetermined *everything* so that you have a trouble on your thumb at a specific time. See the disadvantage of predetermining (just for having absolute knowledge of a future event as trivial as this) from God's point of view? This is a good reason why God would keep the future open for him.

Arguments against

I did not set in motion all the events leading up to your actions, from the creation of the universe. At the moment God created the universe, surely He knew all that would happen throughout it's entire history. If so, then He is directly responsible for all our actions - we have no more choice in what we do than a clockwork toy does. If not, then we are part of some huge experiment which God set in motion without the faintest idea of what would happen - he sits back and observes as people die in terrible wars and plagues, ticking off boxes on His clipboard and writing notes like some emotionless scientist.

This not my idea about God, either.

Therefore, omniscience itself is a logical impossibility. The idea of an omniscient being can be dismissed, quite literally, with a wave of the hand..

Should an omnipotent God really need to bother about hugeness of possibilities ?

A third argument states that:
God can know all your actions, but he chooses not to, to ensure that you have free will.
This is also absurd. God denies himself access to his own knowledge?!? The main problem with this argument is that it defines what God is, how he works. How do you know that God does this? To use this argument is to state that you understand God's mind, which is supposed to incomprehensible to mere mortals.
It is a true cop-out - it cannot be disproved and neatly solves the problem. However, it is up to the person using this argument to prove how they know God does this, not just use it because it neatly sorts things out.

Because it is logical. If he has absolute knowledge about future (predetermining), his own freewill is disabled. Next comes the necessity. Is it necessary to predetermine anything when omnipotence and his own freewill are more than enough, to make the future, with flexibility as things develop.?

If no more humans with freewill, God can go on holiday predetermining, absolutely sure of future of the universe, leaving it to the laws.

If you truly believe that you have free will, then how can you state that God is truly omniscient? If God does not know what you are going to do, then He is no more omniscient than Me.

This is a bit of belittling an omnipotent entity. May be we only bother about God's 'ignorance' of exact future events; just a non-existing future.

As an afterthought, if God truly cannot see the future, for whatever reasons, then aren't all religious prophecies/predictions completely worthless? If even God does not know if it will come true, then what's the point of it? Or, if God knows it is going to come true (e.g. a certain person will become King at a certain time) then how could the people involved avoid the outcome - where is their free will?
May be a degree of predeterminism exist as controls. I am not sure whether all the prophecies/predictions are directly from God.

Alright. Then tell me why do so many argue about free will in regards to determinism?

What basis is there to assume that determinism somehow obstructs our free will?

Back