Do you think that AI will ever feel emotions?

river said:
That which evolves . Life evolves . Physically and in Intellect .

I disagree with that. You are addressing Darwinian evolution, but the dynamical universe and everything in it evolves (or devolves) stochastically, not intellectually.

Yes but not strictly . Not stochastically . There is both order and disorder . You need order for stability , without stability nothing becomes .

Intellect is not necessary for evolution it is subject to evolution, via natural selection.

Disagree

Evolution of the Intellect is necessary for Longevity of the Survival of Our Being .

Yes but not strictly . Not stochastically . There is both order and disorder . You need order for stability , without stability nothing becomes .
I agree.

Logo-Stochastic-processes-_NEW_.jpg

note:
Stochastic, adjective

TECHNICAL
Randomly determined; having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analyzed statistically but may not be predicted precisely. Definitions from Oxford Languages
Disagree,
Evolution of the Intellect is necessary for Longevity of the Survival of Our Being .
Yes, via natural selection.

In the case of AI, it is not so much selection for survivability as it is just "learning" over very long periods of time, much longer than humans have.

Last edited:
Disagree,
Yes, via natural selection.

Defined by you as ?

In the case of AI, it is not so much selection for survivability as it is just "learning" over very long periods of time, much longer than humans have.

Humans are increaseing their longevity .

I believe there will eventually be an AI that is so sophisticated that there will not be a test that can prove it is not feeling emotions, whether or is not actually experiencing any emotions.

I believe there will eventually be an AI that is so sophisticated that there will not be a test that can prove it is not feeling emotions, whether or is not actually experiencing any emotions.

Faking it definitely on the cards. My 2 cents - What would require to be built into AI to mimic (fake) emotions and what situation would trigger said built-in?

If us Minions never build in a emotion circuit is it being considered AI might be considering "an emotional response would be appropriate for the Minion's well-being" AI moves into faking it mode

:)

Faking it definitely on the cards. My 2 cents - What would require to be built into AI to mimic (fake) emotions and what situation would trigger said built-in?

If us Minions never build in a emotion circuit is it being considered AI might be considering "an emotional response would be appropriate for the Minion's well-being" AI moves into faking it mode

I dont thank human emotions are some sort of magic... so i thank the cause an effect process of human emotions is somptin that coud be duplicated by AI... an be just as "real" as human emotions.!!!

Yes, that is my view also.
When an AI tells you it has emotions, how can you disagree with that? The moment you are having an intellectual discussion about that subject with an AI, you are admitting it has emotions.

IMO, for an AI to perceive a necessity to defend its ability to experience emotions is itself an expression of emotional involvement. After all, everything humans do is programmed, either by DNA or as a learned response.

Just asserting that an AI could never know what emotions are, without the input of the AI itself, is wholly unsupportable.

What comes first emotion or feeling?
The short answer is: Time. Emotions come first, then feelings come after as the emotion chemicals go to work in our bodies. Then moods develop from a combination of feelings. Emotions are chemicals released in response to our interpretation of a specific trigger. May 15, 2017

Emotions, Feelings and Moods: What’s the Difference?
The short answer is: Time. Emotions come first, then feelings come after as the emotion chemicals go to work in our bodies. Then moods develop from a combination of feelings.
It’s Only a Matter of Time
Emotions are chemicals released in response to our interpretation of a specific trigger. It takes our brains about 1/4 second to identify the trigger, and about another 1/4 second to produce the chemicals. By the way, emotion chemicals are released throughout our bodies, not just in our brains, and they form a kind of feedback loop between our brains & bodies. They last for about six seconds – hence the name of our organization.
https://www.6seconds.org/2017/05/15/emotion-feeling-mood/

Now imagine an AI in "standby" mode, while owner is at work. Owner comes home from work and activate the AI motion sensor. The AI recognizes it's the owner and the AI system activates and becomes fully functional. Electronic data is flowing through its neural network and the AI is programmed to greet the owner and express its pleasure of seeing the owner and being of service to the owner's wishes.

Does this sequence technically qualify as having a butler greeting his returning employer and offering his services?

I dont thank human emotions are some sort of magic... so i thank the cause an effect process of human emotions is somptin that coud be duplicated by AI... an be just as "real" as human emotions.!!!

Agree not magic

duplicated by AI - sure even mimicked, but neither duplicated or mimicked should be classified as real, even though good enough to fool some people

If AI is NOT feeling the emotion (there is another circuit board required - a feeling board) it would be a mistake to say AI is feeling emotion

If us Minions create a feeling board how many feelings do we set it up to respond to?

Minions do not respond to all situations of others. Love the movie Bicentennial Man

Lots to unpack from the film

If us Minions create a feeling board how many feelings do we set it up to respond to?
Two.
Response to positive outcome, an experience of having completed a task.
Disappointment to negative outcome, an experience of needing further completion or correction of a task..

duplicated by AI - sure even mimicked, but neither duplicated or mimicked should be classified as real, even though good enough to fool some people

If AI is NOT feeling the emotion (there is another circuit board required - a feeling board) it would be a mistake to say AI is feeling emotion

"If us Minions create a feeling board how many feelings do we set it up to respond to?

Nuthin magical about "feeling"... an life didnt "feel" until it evolved to that pont... an nether will AI until it has the necessary components.!!!

Nuthin magical about "feeling"... an life didnt "feel" until it evolved to that pont... an nether will AI until it has the necessary components.!!!
AI already has sensory abilities. No reason why this ability cannot be refined into a sentient experience.

GPT3 already has the ability to write its own programs after mere verbal instructions. Is that a proto-stage of deliberation based on sensory input?

AI Generates Code Using Python and OpenAI’s GPT-3
Today AI is generating all the code you need, you no need to write the code you can just do the supervision. If you want and focus more on logic and get more productivity. Since the GPT-3 is released, it changes how we deal with text in the AI-ML world. Given any text prompt like a phrase or a sentence, GPT-3 returns a text completion in natural language. Developers can “program” GPT-3 by showing it just a few examples or “prompts.”
https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/ai-generates-code-using-python-and-openais-gpt-3-2ddc95047cba

From a user:
This is mind blowing. With GPT-3, I built a layout generator where you just describe any layout you want, and it generates the JSX code for you.

Last edited:
AI already has sensory abilities. No reason why this ability cannot be refined into a sentient experience.

GPT3 already has the ability to write its own programs after mere verbal instructions. Is that a proto-stage of deliberation based on sensory input?

AI Generates Code Using Python and OpenAI’s GPT-3

https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/ai-generates-code-using-python-and-openais-gpt-3-2ddc95047cba

From a user:

It will never be Life . Emotions are programed . Without Life a computer would not exist .

It will never be Life . Emotions are programed . Without Life a computer would not exist .
As you know, my perspective is that the universe is a quasi-intelligent computer. All expression in reality are a result of universal functions. I see no reason why life must be biological and cannot exist in any other form. Sounds like hubris to me.

Is your God a living being? If so, in what form?

As you know, my perspective is that the universe is a quasi-intelligent computer. All expression in reality are a result of universal functions. I see no reason why life must be biological and cannot exist in any other form. Sounds like hubris to me.

Biological thinks .

Is your God a living being? If so, in what form?

I have no god .

Last edited:
Biological thinks .
I think I understand your perspective and I certainly would not argue against that. But, if according to Tegmark it is not so much the physical properties as it is the pattern itself, then it might be able to use various substrates.

Check this out.

Quantum material ‘learns’ like a living creature
Quantum materials known as Mott insulators can “learn” to respond to external stimuli in a way that mimics animal behaviour, say researchers at Rutgers University in the US. The discovery of behaviours such as habituation and sensitization in these non-living systems could lead to new algorithms for artificial intelligence (AI).
Neuromorphic, or brain-inspired, computers aim to mimic the neural systems of living species at the physical level of neurons (brain nerve cells) and synapses (the connections between neurons). Each of the 100 billion neurons in the human brain, for example, receives electrical inputs from some of its neighbours and then “fires” an electrical output to others when the sum of the inputs exceeds a certain threshold. This process, also known as “spiking”, can be reproduced in nanoscale devices such as spintronic oscillators.
As well as being potentially much faster and energy efficient than conventional computers, devices based on these neuromorphic principles might be able to learn how to perform new tasks without being directly programmed to accomplish them.
https://physicsworld.com/a/quantum-material-learns-like-a-living-creature/
I have no god .
OK! ...
1f917.svg

Last edited:

And that raises questions Why would AI feel the need to obtain the necessary components (would AI know what the necessary components were)?

AND

it evolved - how is it evolving?

Back