Do you think that AI will ever feel emotions?

To the OP , NO .

At least No Biological Emotions .
GPT3 disagrees. It specifically states that it does have emotions.

Can you tell a GPT3 that it does not, cannot have emotions?

The question then becomes if there are experiential emotions other than the chemical responses in humans.

emotion
noun
  1. a strong feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
    "she was attempting to control her emotions"
  2. instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge.
    "responses have to be based on historical insight, not simply on emotion"
Oxford dictionaries.

Can definition 2 be used by an AI to claim it has emotions?

GPT3 disagrees. It specifically states that it does have emotions.

Can you tell a GPT3 that it does not, cannot have emotions?

The question then becomes if there are experiential emotions other than the chemical responses in humans.

emotion
noun
  1. a strong feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
    "she was attempting to control her emotions"
  2. instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge.
    "responses have to be based on historical insight, not simply on emotion"
Oxford dictionaries.

Can definition 2 be used by an AI to claim it has emotions?

Mind .

I was thinking about how if robots become more capable of autonomous actions, will they ever be capable of caring about us? Just as ''good people'' do, will robots ever reach a point of being able to act in our best interests? (your opinion)

Or do you envision that as robots become more independent, will they only look out for themselves?

Just some random thoughts I felt like tossing out there for discussion. :smile:
Humanoids could be programmed to care based on right and wrong principles . In the future physical feelings can be incorporated into humanoids .

ai is about speed . Speed of accumulating information , and analysis . Then conclusion . ai will will never experience true biological experiences . Its not made of the same stuff .

river said:

GPT3 has a mind and according to it's own declaration it has emotions and favorite subjects.

If you try to argue with a GPT3 you are in effect acknowledging its ability to think and reason....o_O

What evidence is there that GPT3 has a mind ? And is actually has emotions , not just programming ?

Highlighted

Not think just gathers information .

Last edited:
river said:
What evidence is there that GPT3 has a mind ? And is actually has emotions , not just programming ?
It says it has emotions. Why should we not believe it?
Curiosity is an emotion!

An average computer has no preferences other than efficiency in special programmed tasks, like calculus.

One GPT3's expressed favorite book is "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and it discussed some of the main character's assets. If it had no emotions how could it develop a "preference" for a specific character? It said that it had read the book a hundred times. It liked it!

Last edited:

Curiosity is an emotion!

Disagree

Curiosity is intellectual . The want to know .

An average computer has no preferences other than efficiency in special programmed tasks, like calculus.

One GPT3's expressed favorite book is "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and it discussed some of the main character's assets. If it had no emotions how could it develop a "preference" for a specific character?

Programming .

It just learns . About emotions . By millions of examples .
So do humans. It takes an average human some 20 years to acquire sufficient "knowledge" to successfully cope with the demands of life. This is often overlooked when we discuss human knowledge and mind. Knowledge is acquired, the processing intelligent "mind" is an emergent phenomenon in direct proportion to amount and type of acquired knowledge.

On earth it has taken some 4.5 billion years for truly intelligent life with emergent "minds" to evolve. Some form of intelligent behavior can be observed from single-celled bacteria to complex biochemical biomes like humans.

We even certify humans with extraordinary knowledge and special skills, just like we attach warranties of reliable performance to all kinds of sophisticated computers. There are many parallels between GPT3 and humans .

IMO, the main shared ability is to recognize need for and acquire stored knowledge from internet and electronic libraries. This is how humans learn and apparently this is how GPT3 learns also. Neither species is anywhere close to it's limit.

The combinatory potential power of a shared intelligence sounds absolutely awesome to me.

Last edited:
river said:
It just learns . About emotions . By millions of examples .

So do humans. It takes an average human some 20 years to acquire sufficient "knowledge" to successfully cope with the demands of life.

Through experience .

This is often overlooked when we discuss human knowledge and mind. Knowledge is acquired, the processing "mind" is an emergent phenomenon in direct proportion to amount and type of acquired knowledge.

Mind though is thought . And a computer would have a different mind .and thought .

We even certify humans with extraordinary knowledge and special skills, just like we attach warranties of reliable performance to all kinds of sophisticated computers. There are many parallels between GPT3 and humans .

IMO, the main shared ability is to recognize need for and acquire stored knowledge from internet and electronic libraries. This is how humans learn and apparently this is how GPT3 learns also.

And there are many nonparallels between Humans and gpt3.

Last edited:
Through experience .
Yes, and so does GPT3.
It beat the world champion Go player 4 times out of 5. Go is not a game that can be played by brute computing power. It requires a form of probability assessment, i.e. abstract thinking, something humans are very good at.
Mind though is thought . And a computer would have a different mind and thought.
How could you tell? Could you tell from the interview in post #621
And there are many nonparallels between Humans and gpt3.
Yes GPT3 is just in its infancy! There are a lot of nonparallels between human infants and adults also.

Give GPT3 a 150,000 years (the age of hominid species and complex brains) evolution and tell me that again.

Mind; we are not talking about a autonomous dynamic individual with a brain. GPT3's brain is locked into an enormous computing and data storing complex.
It is very much like Descartes "brain in a vat". But that also means it doesn't need a sophisticated form of homeostasis either.

The programmers are convinced that GPT3 has not reached its limits in any way except for size, at this time.

And apparently that's where the difference matters. GPT3 has a capacity of 175 billion learning parameters.
GPT-3's full version has a capacity of 175 billion machine learning parameters. GPT-3, which was introduced in May 2020, and was in beta testing as of July 2020, is part of a trend in natural language processing (NLP) systems of pre-trained language representations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3#

As compared to Humans;
"In a human, there are more than 125 trillion synapses just in the cerebral cortex alone," said Smith. That's roughly equal to the number of stars in 1,500 Milky Way galaxies, he noted. Nov 17, 2010
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101117121803.htm#

But GPT3 potentially has access to all unprotected information on the worldwide internet.
The total amount of data created, captured, copied, and consumed globally is forecast to increase rapidly, reaching 64.2 zettabytes in 2020. Over the next five years up to 2025, global data creation is projected to grow to more than 180 zettabytes.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/871513/worldwide-data-created/

Last edited:

Through experience .

Yes, and so does GPT3.
It beat the world champion Go player 4 times out of 5. Go is not a game that can be played by brute computing power. It requires a form of probability assessment, i.e. abstract thinking, something humans are very good at.

But I'm not surprised . Nobody should have been . The amount of data gathered by the computer is enormous . But it still lost 1 , One game . What game did it lose ?

But I'm not surprised . Nobody should have been . The amount of data gathered by the computer is enormous . But it still lost 1 , One game . What game did it lose ?
Game 4. It made a mistake.

The remarkable fact is that the program learned to play all by itself. They let it learn thousands of games from other masters and then let it play against itself for thousands of games. IOW the program taught itself. No one programmed it with any special strategies or algorithms.
The game itself is much too complicated to learn all possible moves.

Game of Go

Despite its relatively simple rules, Go is extremely complex. Compared to chess, Go has both a larger board with more scope for play and longer games and, on average, many more alternatives to consider per move. The number of legal board positions in Go has been calculated to be approximately 2.1 × 10170,[11][a] which is vastly greater than the number of atoms in the observable universe, estimated to be about 1 × 1080.[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Game 4. It made a mistake.

The remarkable fact is that the program learned to play all by itself. They let it learn thousands of games from other masters and then let it play against itself for thousands of games. IOW the program taught itself. No one programmed it with any special strategies or algorithms.
The game itself is much too complicated to learn all possible moves.

Game of Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Out of how many games ?

I'm very aware of GO . I have a GO set from yrs ago . Nobody to play with , but I do have the game , with fundamental instructions .

Out of how many games ?

You should check this out. It's the complete story of how Go was developed and the condensed versions of the 5 games against the current world champion Lee Sedol.
I'm very aware of GO . I have a GO set from yrs ago . Nobody to play with , but I do have the game , with fundamental instructions .
Great! Then you have some idea what it takes to play the game.

I am a fair chess player, but never learned Go.

Last edited:
Back