Do atheists believe in survival of the fittest?

Survival of the fittest

• Big fish feed the little fish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My agenda was to see what the responses would be. Only spidey and Asguard many any attempts, the rest were too bust looking for hidden meanings.

My agenda was to see what the responses would be. Only spidey and Asguard many any attempts, the rest were too bust looking for hidden meanings.

Yea, wasn't that because there was a hidden meaning ?

Enmos said:
So which one are you referring to ? Economics or biology ?
I'm not. I'm asking how atheists view it and what it means to them, considering that Darwin himself used it as a metaphor for his theory of natural selection.

I just wanted to see if anyone would notice I was NOT talking about evolution, hence the poll. Guess not. Talk about prejudice.

And why atheists ?

So starting over, what does survival of the fittest mean to atheists? And do they believe in it?

if a white supremacist theist can propose a theory that is accepted by rational people, including athiests, inspite of his "misunderstood social Darwinism",

Who are we talking about? - Social Darwinism is not an invention of Charles Darwin.

I don't fully agree that Darwin was a racist per se, his views while pretty reprehensible by modern standards were a reflection of the views of his time, indeed he was pretty liberal in comparison to some of his compatriots.

Certainly there's nothing in the theory of natural selection that is prescriptive towards racism or eugenics - so CD's personal views are irrelevant and separate from his scientific theories anyway.

You may as well - for example - say that all of the great humanitarian acheivments of Ghandi are completely invalid because he had at one time in his life spouted some racist anti-black rhetoric - I'm not defending the latter, merely pointing out that it doesn't invalidate the former.

Who are we talking about? - Social Darwinism is not an invention of Charles Darwin.

I don't fully agree that Darwin was a racist per se, his views while pretty reprehensible by modern standards were a reflection of the views of his time, indeed he was pretty liberal in comparison to some of his compatriots.

Certainly there's nothing in the theory of natural selection that is prescriptive towards racism or eugenics - so CD's personal views are irrelevant and separate from his scientific theories anyway.

You may as well - for example - say that all of the great humanitarian acheivments of Ghandi are completely invalid because he had at one time in his life spouted some racist anti-black rhetoric - I'm not defending the latter, merely pointing out that it doesn't invalidate the former.

No problem, we're not discussing Darwin, though I fail to see how the fact that he quite idly proposed the genocide of "savages" by "the Caucasian" as an indication of liberality.

And you need not participate if you need someone else to define what you think about a concept.

No problem, we're not discussing Darwin, though I fail to see how the fact that he quite idly proposed the genocide of "savages" by "the Caucasian" as an indication of liberality.

He proposed that it may happen (and he is sadly prescient on this matter) - he did not prescribe that it should - a big difference.
His views on altruism and the elevating of "dusky" races beyond the lowest place in society was indeed liberal for his admittedly rather unenlightened time

And you need not participate if you need someone else to define what you think about a concept.

I may use any relevant illustrative example I choose to thanks very much

In the absence of a devine creator, the phrase "survival of the fittest" is a shortcut to the scientific principles that are more complex, that explain how complex life arose from simpler forms.

Atheism isn't a comprehensive worldview, a set of moral instructions, or a political system, but it doesn't preclude these things.

So there are atheists who believe in fate, al-qadr, karma, bhagya?

So there are atheists who believe in fate, al-qadr, karma, bhagya?

I don't know what half of that means, but sure.. maybe one or two.. lol
I guess it depends on the reasons for atheists to be atheists.
If you are an atheist by indoctrination, you can believe pretty much anything else I suppose.

One could argue that destiny is not one of the paradigms of atheism.
M*W: Each of us has a destiny that we create for ourselves whether one believes in this concept or not. Our destiny does not depend on some higher power guiding us toward it. We are living the life we create. That's the paradigm.

Karma means action. Similar to the laws of cause and effect. Fate implies an unalterable occurrence. Karma is created by that person's actions.

Back