Consumerism - Convince me to not go postal on it.

I can't. I say you go postal on it. LOL POSTAL. I cracked up when I learned how that word came to be used.

nietzschefan,
Have you actually checked to see which person was telling you the truth? The reason I ask is because I see refurbished and used Ricoh copiers for sale all over the internet. Ricoh 'claims' they recycle the parts (ground up parts?), but there are other companies that refurbish Ricoh copiers themselves and sell them. They have to get the used copiers from somewhere. Here is just one business:
http://www.copiersrefurbished.com/used-copiers-ricoh/ricoh.cfm

Ya, today the ricoh grunts came to pickup the machines, I decided to ask them what happens to the machines. "Straight to the big chipper". These guys put them in the chipper themselves, they dragged them down the stairs smashing the shit out of them. People are asking me - well jeez they sure don't work anymore AFTER that, wtf are they gonna do with them? I feel like such a dick.

I suppose Ricoh could be destroying the used copiers to keep 'refurbished' machines from diluting the prices of their new ones. Since you bought these new ones yourself, maybe you could sell them to a business for refurbishing the next time you upgrade, or offer them to a start-up business working on a shoestring budget. :shrug:

I so want to check out of this system. How long does everyone REALLY think this kind of "system" can last?

A little less than 50 years.

How long before the needs of this much vaunted economy FAR and AWAY exceed the needs of human beings?

We're already there.

How fucking stupid I feel right now, pluged into this system and a perpetrator of consuming the planet for what. FOR WHAT I say! Just WTF IS THE END GOAL OF CONSUMER CAPITALISM. I need to know....soon.

There is no goal.

So each trinket = 1/1,000,000,000,000 bliss points? Seems like a very devalued currency. What if I start collecting bliss points, then decide that I don't really fancy the idea of pure bliss that much after all, and want something else. Are my bliss points transferable?

Standard of living that is slowly killing everyone. True , in the short run it works out for those with money to affoord the standards but as time goes by the money needed keeps getting harder to get and its value lessens everyday.

In Honduras there are only two classes of people poor and rich. The poor cannot achieve what the rich have because they aren't part of the "clik" so they will do anything for money. Ask the rich to share their wealth there and they will just shoot you. That's what they do to the poor people that ask for decent wages. I wonder why America keeps supporting that kind of system? The people only want to earn money but if they aren't allowed to then they really don't want to stay there.

Even people without money in America are given 3 hots and a cot on the state's dime. In many cases they are given free healthcare too.

The US doesn't run Honduras so you can't blame things there on the US. The point is Honduras isn't using resources like the US. Many there live off the jungle, don't need money to survive like you do in US, yet their standard of living sucks.

There is much bad vibe to this thread. In some countries people are starving to death or being killed for religious reasons yet some people have to fuss about what happens when a copy machine they don't own is taken out of the office. Heaven forbid a real problem comes your way.

There is much bad vibe to this thread. In some countries people are starving to death or being killed for religious reasons yet some people have to fuss about what happens when a copy machine they don't own is taken out of the office. Heaven forbid a real problem comes your way.

Complaining is something that humans do very, very well. Especially if they're complaining about something that they're unwilling to do anything about for themselves.

Humans suck!

Baron Max

If I don´t work, I have nowere to live in, and also starve. What do you call that?

Of course you have to work and earn money to survive in the modern environment, but who says you have to work a 9 - 5 office job for some wasteful corporation?

Back