christianity is a polytheism

Basically when Jesus said "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" he was referring to himself, The Holy Father
You could perhaps use that explanation, although it seems to me to be a bit of a stretch. But it's much harder to explain why he would ask himself why he had forsaken himself.

Like the trunk speaking to the tail, or something.

You could perhaps use that explanation, although it seems to me to be a bit of a stretch. But it's much harder to explain why he would ask himself why he had forsaken himself.

Sillies. You forget that Jesus was also human, I take it. I think you're looking for the Monophysites.

Sillies. You forget that Jesus was also human, I take it. I think you're looking for the Monophysites.
I'm aware that Jesus was human. I'm not sure how that affects my point that Jesus seemed to talk to and about god as if god were a separate entity. How could Jesus asking god "Why have you forsaken me?" possibly make sense if they are actually the same being?

Same in spirit, not in body. You say you're aware that Jesus was human, but then you turn a blind eye towards it again.

Same in spirit, not in body.
I do not know what "same in spirit" means.

Based on what's recounted in the Bible, they appear to have been separate consciousnesses with independent thoughts and knowledge. That seems to almost by definition mean that they weren't the same being.
You say you're aware that Jesus was human, but then you turn a blind eye towards it again.
On the contrary, I just don't understand why you think that the fact that Jesus was human somehow explains anything. If anything, the fact that one was human and the other wasn't seems to lend support to the notion that they were separate entities.

I do not know what "same in spirit" means.

It means the spirit of God was in him. Most Abrahamic tradition doesn't have the spirit of God in a corporeal form. Sure, there was the spinning tower of fire thingie. A bit inflammatory though.

Based on what's recounted in the Bible, they appear to have been separate consciousnesses with independent thoughts and knowledge. That seems to almost by definition mean that they weren't the same being.

Well, we've been over this: Jesus was also human. This is considered a sort of sacrifice by God. The humanity of Jesus didn't want to die.

On the contrary, I just don't understand why you think that the fact that Jesus was human somehow explains anything. If anything, the fact that one was human and the other wasn't seems to lend support to the notion that they were separate entities.

You're sort of assuming that they were separate entities as a preconceived conclusion. "If one was human and the other wasn't" and "separate entities".

It means the spirit of God was in him.
Again, I don't know what it means to say "the spirit of god was in him." Sorry, I'm really not trying to be a smartass here, I genuinely don't understand what it's supposed to mean or how it's supposed to explain anything. What is the "spirit of God?" Is everything with the "spirit of god" in it also god? Is it impossible for the "spirit of god" to be in something that isn't god? If so, how do we know this?

You're sort of assuming that they were separate entities as a preconceived conclusion. "If one was human and the other wasn't" and "separate entities".
No, I am assuming that they were separate entities based on the fact that they apparently didn't share the same consciousness, thoughts, or knowledge. That seems to more or less be the definition of separate entities. If you can come up with a definition of "entity" that would allow for two separate consciousnesses that don't share knowledge or thoughts to be "the same entity," I would be interested to hear it.

lol, this has unsuprisingly become amusing, but we're not going anywhere.

are any of those who posted in this thread christians? i was under the impression nasor was one? geoffp?

if none so far than i would like to set off from dwyder's first post.

ok, or we can do that, since you're online.

Is your mother also a wife and a daughter?
How do you clear the contradictions?
Surely she's three people, not just one?

your example was very good, otherwise geoffp wouldn't be dancing in delight..

so, in the same way a woman can be a wife, mother, sister, daughter, god can be a father, son, and something else; the holy spirit?

ok, or we can do that, since you're online.
your example was very good, otherwise geoffp wouldn't be dancing in delight..
so, in the same way a woman can be a wife, mother, sister, daughter, god can be a father, son, and something else; the holy spirit?
Presumably: they're all (as I understand it) avatars (for want of a better word) of god.

Again, I don't know what it means to say "the spirit of god was in him." Sorry, I'm really not trying to be a smartass here, I genuinely don't understand what it's supposed to mean or how it's supposed to explain anything. What is the "spirit of God?" Is everything with the "spirit of god" in it also god? Is it impossible for the "spirit of god" to be in something that isn't god? If so, how do we know this?

We don't. It's faith. If you believe in the concept of a soul, then a "holy spirit" isn't really that much further a leap. It's no different or magical than believing in a deity to begin with. How to apply logic to what is essentially magic? And I do appreciate your sentiments on this.

No, I am assuming that they were separate entities based on the fact that they apparently didn't share the same consciousness, thoughts, or knowledge. That seems to more or less be the definition of separate entities. If you can come up with a definition of "entity" that would allow for two separate consciousnesses that don't share knowledge or thoughts to be "the same entity," I would be interested to hear it.

Simple: being "possessed of" the spirit of God. God isn't normally thought of as a corporeal being. The idea is that this is the vessel by which He experiences the corporeal world and, more properly, makes a corporeal sacrifice as a sign of good faith. Jesus was human, because that was the deal. God was in Him, but his body wasn't God any more than God is a stone or anything else. (Or is He? ;))

The angels, alone, push it out of the monotheistic realm.

And didn't god say that you weren't allowed to rank the other gods ahead of him? Seems he even believed in some of them.

If only God would speak to me and let me know who he is.....:shrug: .
If he spoke to Moses, Jesus and Muhammad....I just ask : why not to me ?!!.

The angels, alone, push it out of the monotheistic realm.

If that were true or relevant: how? It's pretty apparent that angels aren't gods in any Abrahamic religion.

And didn't god say that you weren't allowed to rank the other gods ahead of him? Seems he even believed in some of them.

?? Which angels are ranked as gods, and which ahead of God?

?? Which angels are ranked as gods, and which ahead of God?

You tell me. It's the second commandment. Which "other gods" is God referring to?

Why not say "I'm the only god" or "all other gods are false?"

And angels, especially the variety that can descend from heaven, kill entire cities, or rebel against god and put up a struggle in his self-made kingdom, seem like deities to me. Maybe these are the gods we're supposed to rank lower?

Then again, my source material can't agree on Jesus's last words on the cross, or who went to his tomb the next day. It can't even settle on the line of descendants leading to Jesus, or the order things were created in. Perhaps I'm being a tad too stringent.

Yeah, but all that angel stuff is based on God telling them to go blast things or announce things. They only actually come up a few times.

If we're blasting Christianity for being wrong in itself, that should probably be on a different thread. This thread is only about blasting it for purportedly being polytheistic. Of course, I wonder what the OP author's (scifes) point is in pointing this out. Denigration, perhaps?

Back