bitterness and atheism?

There are several philosophies (like Buddhism, Jainism, Confucianism) which can be considered religion but not theism

Very good, very good.

What qualities are required in a system for a system to qualify as a godless religion? What constitutes a religion?

as i see it, a religion is a community of people who share the same set of beliefs, people who share the same faith and ideals. usualy with mythological roots and philosophical ideas.

i think maybe a godless religion would be along the lines of paganism or daoism. i dont know much about pagons but i know alot about daoism, there are many types of daoists, some who believe in mythology and folklore that is tied in with chinese culture, people like me who just hold the tao te ching as reference to the philosophy of the way,

or we have the majority of chinese people who dont hold buddhism, confucianism and taoism apart. because many chinese people believe in all 3 actualy even though its hard to explain,

peace.

There are several philosophies (like Buddhism, Jainism, Confucianism) which can be considered religion but not theism

yeah a religion does not have to include theism, although when you say the word religion, the regular atheist will jump to the conclusion of god and christianity or islam etc.

its a common assumption.

peace.

Also consider that many professing converts to atheism in fact may have a very tenuous grasp on their newly acquired faith. Unable to coherently and rationally justify their perceived faith in atheism, they stoop to overreacting to the notion of theism, thus repeatedly demonstrating the bitterness and hostility which you so accurately noted.

It is an indictment of themselves and their professed faith in atheism when converts to atheism behave in such a puerile, irrational manner.

This is overcomplication. Some people are simply impatient with others who do not easily accept a point of view. Many theists appear to be bitter and even shocked that there exist individuals who can think outside the bible.

Bear in mind that atheism is not faith based. As much as you et al would like your smear campaign to work.

do you think it is a conscious decision to stoop to overreacting? i think it maybe a defensive mechanism that is subconscious.

peace.

Yes, sometimes it would be a conscious decision to overcome one's shortcomings, like impatience.

theism deals with a god, daoism has no mention of a god. theism has no mystery because god explains everything. daoism is all about the mystery. the mystery of existence and the universe.

i would class daoism as a philosophy.

peace.

But they do have temples and afaik 'followers' can be theist:shrug:

seems like a nice hobby.

atheism is not a faith it is disbelief in a god or gods
it is possible to be an athiest and a philosopher
but the only thing that connects atheists is their lack of belief in a god or gods all the rest is coincidence

in my personal opinion it seems that many atheists are bitter towards theists and the concept of god.

many people who convert from theism to atheism seem hostile and aggressive, but people who were never theists but dont believe in god seem calm and relaxed when talking about religious things.

this brings me to an opinionated conclusion that people who used to be theists and turned thier back on religion hold a grudge and are psycologicaly hurt inside.

because i have been watching many people on this board for quite some time now, and i have noticed a pattern in behaviour. and people who used to believe in god, and now have turned atheist tend to make fun of religion and try to have an agenda of trying to disprove god to everyone, and show how "silly it is"

me personaly i have never been a theist in my life, my family are not theist or atheist, i am now a daoist by choice and have been for many years. and as a neutral observer its quite easy for me to see how people behave due to the fact that i am not on either side of the argument/debate. therefore my judgement is not clouded with emotions.

people seem to take offence very easily when it comes to this topic, i wonder if it is a deep seeded reaction from childhood experience. or maybe something along the lines of a teenage rebelion remaining in the adult mind.

again this is just an observation and opinion.

peace.

I think it may be because like a victim of child abuse who then goes on to abuse, they are never really cured.

It seems the anger comes mostly from those who were from the catholic and/or christian institutes.
What is it about these organisations, that creates so much anger?

Very good, very good.

What qualities are required in a system for a system to qualify as a godless religion? What constitutes a religion?

Direct or indirect worship of something material, i.e. people, objects, money, sex, self, sun...

Jan.

It seems the anger comes mostly from those who were from the catholic and/or christian institutes.
What is it about these organisations, that creates so much anger?
Being told from birth what to believe and how to believe it is nothing short of having your burgeoning intellect shackled by those you hold dearest. It is far more subtle in the recognised religions but it can not be ignored in those terms.

Also, the more archaic and counter-intuitive the required belief (don't get me started on transubstantiation), the more the intellect wants to break the shackles of brainwashing. And when it does, like anyone held prisoner, they look back with bitterness. It is to be expected. One should not blame anyone for this bitterness, merely try to assist in helping them get over it.

in my personal opinion it seems that many atheists are bitter towards theists and the concept of god.

many people who convert from theism to atheism seem hostile and aggressive, but people who were never theists but dont believe in god seem calm and relaxed when talking about religious things.

this brings me to an opinionated conclusion that people who used to be theists and turned thier back on religion hold a grudge and are psycologicaly hurt inside.

because i have been watching many people on this board for quite some time now, and i have noticed a pattern in behaviour. and people who used to believe in god, and now have turned atheist tend to make fun of religion and try to have an agenda of trying to disprove god to everyone, and show how "silly it is"

me personaly i have never been a theist in my life, my family are not theist or atheist, i am now a daoist by choice and have been for many years. and as a neutral observer its quite easy for me to see how people behave due to the fact that i am not on either side of the argument/debate. therefore my judgement is not clouded with emotions.

people seem to take offence very easily when it comes to this topic, i wonder if it is a deep seeded reaction from childhood experience. or maybe something along the lines of a teenage rebelion remaining in the adult mind.

again this is just an observation and opinion.

peace.

I think this observation is echoed in the already bubbling topic entitled "Why do Atheists hate Jesus?"

Firstly, I'd like to observe something myself; you seem to make it a point to distance yourself from atheists considerably. However, I would propose to you that you, and every other theist on this board, know exactly what it's like being an atheist; I take it you don't believe in Zeus or Thor or Ra. From this perspective, you are just as much of an atheist as I am. So you may have more in common with the atheists on this board than you think.

In response to your observation, I would argue that the reason atheists seem hostile towards theists is because the theist dialogues are riddled with inconsistencies and absolute nonsense, from which (as it has been noted here) the atheist has, in a word, outgrown. To give you a more objective perch, consider the following rough analogy:

There exists a people that you come into contact with regularly who believe something absolutely absurd (a recent topic in this forum was about different universes having different mathematics, so that seems like a good, available choice for here); namely that 1+1=3 or 2+2=5. These claims by these people vary in the chosen numbers of the equation but all share an equally baffling amount of ignorance. You might argue to them that 1+1 clearly equals 2 and 2+2 clearly equals 4 (to the contrary of Big Brother :p ).

"That is your opinion," they might respond, "don't try to disprove us or impose your own equations on us, as they are just as opinionated as ours are."

Would you passively step back, respect their beliefs, and toss up your hands in submission to everyone 'equally valid' opinions? I dare say that if you were someone who had an sedulous attitude towards correctness, then you would do no such thing!

You could (and would) get into pages and pages of internet forum debates with these people. The argument would dip into linguistic definitions ("Well what is '1' or '3' or any number other than the linguistic label you give it. My '1' could be your '4803' and it doesn't make any difference. They are all variables.") and you could try to rebut that by a deeper understanding ("Whether you call the quantity represented by a single object '1' or '4803', the principles of the quantities remains. A consistency of the variables you associate with quantity is essential or your form of mathematics wouldn't be stable in the slightest."); heck you could even paint a well-thought-out and intricate rhetorical situation ("If you place one quantity next to another quantity, no matter what label you've chosen to assign, you now have double the amount of quantity you began with.")...but it would probably be to no avail. ;)

The point is that no matter what objective point of reference you successfully came up with that nullifies opinion altogether and allows a criteria to which each idea can be tested for consistency and soundness, these people will not listen to you and flat out ignore your solid points simply because you oppose their alleged infallible opinion. They have their minds made up and no amount of mathematic proof or reasoning will counter that, no matter what the accuracy.

This, needless to say, would be irritating in the least. THAT is why you perceive atheists as bitter and boiling individuals who always have their panties in a wad when religion is discussed.

Last edited:
the human mind is fragile and can be hurt and damaged in many ways, if your very core belief system is shaken from the core and torn apart, it can do immense damage and cause many problems.

it is textbook for this type of thing to cause a person to become very defensive and hostile.

i think it goes slightly deeper than a mere feeling of being cheated. but that also is a factor.

some would mask the hostality and aggression in the form of humour and making fun of things.

peace.

Which once again, testifies to my claim that these crazy 1+1=3 people will outlandishly sacrifice all reason and evidence in order to NOT have their core belief systems shaken. They know what you know, and recognize the mounting and tremendous body of evidence against them, so they resort to burying their heads in the sand.

Jibing is the only way we are able to retain our sanity when treading in the waters of such narrow-minded individuals.

I often get the feeling, the sense, that atheists are actually trying to convert people to their own "beliefs" ...which is, ironically, one of the things that most atheist claim that they hate about theists.

Baron Max

This is because you know nothing of atheists.

Also consider that many professing converts to atheism in fact may have a very tenuous grasp on their newly acquired faith. Unable to coherently and rationally justify their perceived faith in atheism, they stoop to overreacting to the notion of theism, thus repeatedly demonstrating the bitterness and hostility which you so accurately noted.

It is an indictment of themselves and their professed faith in atheism when converts to atheism behave in such a puerile, irrational manner.

I am again and again appalled at what people think the atheist mindset is. Do we need an Atheism 101 thread?

The reason the only way you can reconcile the atheist is by placing them in your own boat of faith (which incidentally does nothing to promote the validity of your faith) is because you are so immersed in said faith that your mind can't comprehend a life without it.

I often get the feeling, the sense, that atheists are actually trying to convert people to their own "beliefs" ...which is, ironically, one of the things that most atheist claim that they hate about theists.

Baron Max

agreed agreed! :bravo:
Atheism has become their religion and they want to convert the masses. And some can become downright nasty about it. I've had atheists get angry at me for letting my daughter go to church and choose her own path. I'm not being a good atheist. :rolleyes:

Atheism has become their religion and they want to convert the masses. And some can become downright nasty about it. I've had atheists get angry at me for letting my daughter go to church and choose her own path. I'm not being a good atheist. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on this; this may not be apparent, but I don't so much stress atheism as I do education. MY atheism happened to be a by-product of education, but I would not want to take away the free choice of anyone who has been educated, much like you give your daughter the right to choose her own path.

Good news is, those you described would not be atheists at all by my standards, so imo you're a great atheist.

Most atheists will just emplore you to look at the evidence and think for yourself, make the most of your 1 shot and maybe stop making ours less harmonic by converting impressional people to your bullshit. There is no desire to convert you to a god. There is no ask for you to donnate your money to a church of atheism. There is no motivation but to encourage a little less ignorance in the world.

Back