Best Intentions - Dynamics of Spiritual Abuse

SnakeLord, maybe you're missing what I mean by the word 'belief', because you seem to take it to mean something outlandish or ridiculous. So I am chalking up our impasse to a communication failure. The onus is on me to make myself clearer.

By belief, I mean anything that is held to be true. Think of it in an epistemological sense. Indoctrination must occur with any child simply for the fact that he or she is born without knowledge and without a means of qualifying the claims of others. Until one becomes experienced with critical thinking, one appeals to authority for facts. It is inevitable, then, that this tendency to appeal to authority, this "epistemic naivete," will be exploited. For the child, it is impossible to tell for sure whether what he is being told is true.

I'm sure you feel a responsibility to not betray your daughter's trust in your word. Therefore you teach her things that you believe to be true. It is this same responsibility which drives the religious to indoctrinate their children with a belief in God. The two processes are in fact one and the same. I imagine your primary objection to this will be your assertion that your beliefs actually are true, but this ignores the possibility that you could be wrong about something. Epistemologically, the vast majority of things taught to any child go equally unjustified.

Back to group cohesion. It's not that difficult to see how, in a religious community or family, religion plays a major factor in gluing the group together. A Jew among devout Catholics will have that much less in common. This doesn't mean that a child brought up with a different religion (or none at all) than the local norm will have no friends. I actually never claimed that; you assumed that I meant to imply it.* It does, however, pose a social disadvantage, amplified when a common religion really is central to the entire community (which is why I thought the example of the tribe would starkly illustrate the mechanics of it). Modern society is secular, so it poses much, much less of a disadvantage than it used to. But even without the social impetus that has historically preserved the religions of the world, belief alone is enough to perpetuate itself.

The central question is whether it is wrong to impart an unjustified worldview, e.g. religious beliefs, unto a child. A state, especially in secular society, has no business doing such a thing. However, for a parent, some indoctrination is natural, inevitable, and generally good. Considering a child hasn't got the proper tools to find most things out for himself, he needs the parent to be a factual authority to give him a reliable foundation of knowledge. It is one of the crucial functions of parenting.

* It was entirely my fault for appearing to defend a claim I didn't make by not stopping to correct you on my premise. Sorry about that.

Kenny

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic

plenty of evidence there in theism too ”

The Nobel Prize is waiting for you...
The Dalai Lama got a nobel prize in 1989
:p

“ - actually the analogy draws a parrallel between the highschool drop out and the atheist - ATTITUDE ”

Even if it does, it can be applied to everything you yourself don't believe in - which is why evidence and scientific enquiry is important.
but the point is that evidence is vindicated by enquiry - the analogy illustrates an absence of enquiry

“ There are literally miles of literature that suggests otherwise - let me guess they are all eggheads/nutcases huh? ”

Oh, wow... just because there is a lot of writing on the subject means we should all of a sudden believe it to be true without question?
No - but at least it should make one a bit curious to determine what they advocate to see if it is true or not

There are 'literally miles' of literature for all kinds of superstitions LG. Your arguments are growing increasingly weaker as you desperately try to give justify your superstition.
Its ironic that you can dismiss all such literature despite never reading it - out of curiousity how many scriptural works do you actually know - I bet you would be hard pressed to name even a dozen, much less be familiar with any of them - and yet you feel this foundation of "knowledge" you have is sufficient to dismiss the whole lot
;)

“ Obviously they are paid by someone who is essentially foolish ”

They get paid because they are experts in religious matters. Again, you have no point.
On the contrary such persons do not even interact with people who practice - their entire experience is academic
:D

Last edited:
“ Originally Posted by SnakeLord
He did? It's unlikely. ”

No, but you did compare belief in God with alcoholism. Again, hardly a basis for reasonable discussion.

Unlikely? its right here on
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=55189

Me - “ What is your perspective of religion and how has it developed to take its current form of existence in society? ”

Snake Lord - "Uh.. a collection of people with the same beliefs came together either by choice or force and started singing songs while a man in a collar gives a blow job to a 10 year old."

:rolleyes:

lightgigantic said:
Kenny
The Dalai Lama got a nobel prize in 1989

For peace. So far no awards have ever been given out due to proving God exists. Should someone find evidence of God, I'm sure an accolade of awards would follow and they would become a superstar beyond even that of what Einstein was. Although despite billions of believers, it is telling that nothing has been found.

but the point is that evidence is vindicated by enquiry - the analogy illustrates an absence of enquiry

Evidence of what? Evidence that billions of people follow different branches of the same superstition? That evidence is obvious.

No - but at least it should make one a bit curious to determine what they advocate to see if it is true or not

The answer is simple. Humans believe in all manner of things without the requirement of verification. If of course, a religious follower had verification, there would be no need to invoke 'faith' or 'belief' or 'delusion'.

Its ironic that you can dismiss all such literature despite never reading it - out of curiousity how many scriptural works do you actually know - I bet you would be hard pressed to name even a dozen, much less be familiar with any of them - and yet you feel this foundation of "knowledge" you have is sufficient to dismiss the whole lot

I can safely dismiss any basis it has in describing things that actually exist. That literature has basis in subjective thought only... which doesn't necessarily mean it should be dismissed entirely since it may have some relevance to our human psyche... but I believe it becomes 'delusional' when (like yourself) it becomes dogmatic belief, like religion.

On the contrary such persons do not even interact with people who practice - their entire experience is academic

Well your original argument was that knowledge of scripture was required to accept it as truth, yet academic study doesn't equate to that. Religion works in the way that a person must want to believe in a particular religious sect. That is the only 'knowledge' a person needs to become a 'believer'.

I bet Communism had the best of intentions and that many communists today will claim that communism was never purely practiced in any country so nobody can judge the dogma by the practices.

I bet you can use this same argument to defend any idealistic, naïve dogma, preaching simplistic, naïve ideals.

Unlikely? its right here on

Ah righty ho. You had me confused with your claim that "Snakelord insisted that there was no difference between theistic practioner and someone performing oral sex on children" when I did not insist anything. That was what, (in this country at least), we refer to as sarcasm - brought on by the fact that you weren't paying attention to anything I said and instead felt it pertinent to just make up answers for me, (seen with my eventual comment: "I didn't insult you, wasn't specifically aggressive and kept my bad language to a minimum. What bothers me is that ten times now I have had to point out what I originally said that made you waffle on about something unrelated to what I said - while having to listen to you telling me what I do or do not think, and while having to put up with all the snide comments that imo are worse than the occasional swear word. Of course I refer to the; "(sigh)...", "oops.." etc.
"). I pointed that out to you several times but you just kept waffling on regardless. That is hardly how to conduct an intelligent discussion. You then went on to label me a fanatic and "insist that anyone who drinks alcohol is not intelligent" all because of some sarcasm because you didn't have the decency to read or understand what I was saying.

Now you've reminded me of that post, put me back on ignore, you're not the kind of person I really want to get into discussions with, (because you don't take the time to listen) - but do kindly take the time to read the last post on that thread from me which stated that:

"Giving an amusing definition of religion has no bearing on intelligence. Of course people all have a different sense of humour, and some don't have any at all."

That's hardly "insisting..." Just thought that was worth pointing out.

Kenny

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic
Kenny
The Dalai Lama got a nobel prize in 1989 ”

For peace. So far no awards have ever been given out due to proving God exists. Should someone find evidence of God, I'm sure an accolade of awards would follow and they would become a superstar beyond even that of what Einstein was. Although despite billions of believers, it is telling that nothing has been found.
According to such methodologies of "evidence" that you require the human mind doesn't even exist either - what do you think about that :eek:
BTW its a real shame that a scientist cannot get a nobel peace prize- maybe they could learn something :D

“ but the point is that evidence is vindicated by enquiry - the analogy illustrates an absence of enquiry ”

Evidence of what? Evidence that billions of people follow different branches of the same superstition? That evidence is obvious.
I am talking about enquiry, which is what your example and the example of the high school drop out have in common

“ No - but at least it should make one a bit curious to determine what they advocate to see if it is true or not ”

The answer is simple. Humans believe in all manner of things without the requirement of verification. If of course, a religious follower had verification, there would be no need to invoke 'faith' or 'belief' or 'delusion'.
The high school drop out holds the same attitude because they don't accept the verifaction

“ Its ironic that you can dismiss all such literature despite never reading it - out of curiousity how many scriptural works do you actually know - I bet you would be hard pressed to name even a dozen, much less be familiar with any of them - and yet you feel this foundation of "knowledge" you have is sufficient to dismiss the whole lot ”

I can safely dismiss any basis it has in describing things that actually exist. That literature has basis in subjective thought only... which doesn't necessarily mean it should be dismissed entirely since it may have some relevance to our human psyche... but I believe it becomes 'delusional' when (like yourself) it becomes dogmatic belief, like religion.
C'mon Kenny tell us - how many scriptural works are you familiar with when you make such statements?

“ On the contrary such persons do not even interact with people who practice - their entire experience is academic

Well your original argument was that knowledge of scripture was required to accept it as truth, yet academic study doesn't equate to that. Religion works in the way that a person must want to believe in a particular religious sect. That is the only 'knowledge' a person needs to become a 'believer'.
Its like the difference between theory and practice - a person in knowledge (in whatever field) has both

SnakeLord, maybe you're missing what I mean by the word 'belief', because you seem to take it to mean something outlandish or ridiculous. So I am chalking up our impasse to a communication failure. The onus is on me to make myself clearer.

The first time I saw you contribute to this thread, and more importantly to me, was after I had made a statement concerning forced belief. You went on to tell me all about the Alan, Betty, Charlie and Daniel tribe - and told me that if you weren't forced into the Alan tribe way of life, (as your parents were Alans), that you would "feel very alone in the world", "unwanted by the world" and you respond by "rejecting it in kind", "You don't trust anyone" and "your life is miserable".

I disagree completely. My daughter, for the sake of discussion, does not belong to the Alans, Bettys, Charlies or Daniels and yet has a mixture of friends from each of those 'tribes' while not actually belonging to any of them.

This is not to say that certain views and beliefs are not imparted involuntarily. I, for instance, am an Aerosmith fan - and my daughter sings and likes Aerosmith songs mainly because of me - because I listen to them etc.

My original statement said that there's nothing wrong with fishermen gathering to talk about fishing, indeed there's nothing wrong with letting your child experience fishing. It is when they do not have a choice in whether to do it or not, whether to believe it or not that the problem arises.

Now, to get back to the analogy.. If the Alan tribe do not allow their daughter to associate and learn from the Bettys, the Charlies and the Daniels, that is where the issue becomes an issue.

How many schools teach children about the flying spaghetti monster, scientology or other such beliefs? How many parents inform their child about a range of beliefs instead of just their own? It's not at any time to say you will not influence your childs decision making process, but that a choice larger than 1 needs to be established. It's not just fishing, it's not just Aerosmith, it's not just christianity. That is where this issue lies, and I think you're right in saying there is a communication error - although it is clearly not your fault but mine.

My original statement was so misunderstood that it led to Baron talking about churches and Jester talking about ancient Peru.

However, I will and still call you on your analogy. Maybe you didn't mean it, but you seem to think there is no distinction between teaching and forced indoctrination - and that failure to do so results in a person .. {see earlier quotes}. This is what I disagree with, and in the 3 pages since have not really seen an answer to that - indeed having to wait 3 pages to see people finally agree with what I'm saying, (even you: "A state, especially in secular society, has no business doing such a thing"). This is all I was saying.

I have been accused of many things since, such as that we should never teach children anything at all - when that has never been part of my argument. As a father I am all for education. It is when education steps into forced indoctrination that I have a problem.

I'm sure you feel a responsibility to not betray your daughter's trust in your word. Therefore you teach her things that you believe to be true.

Aside from the knowledge she has gained that I love her unequivocally - hell, even god could come down from his 2000 year slumber and I would slap him silly if he went near my girl, not really. Admittedly I don't get into things that I might not consider her old enough for. We do not go into politics.. the right or wrong of invading Iraq, whether Tony Blair is a good prime minister or not. To both of those I have a clear "belief", a clear opinion. I do not in any way whatsoever impart that opinion or belief on the mind of a person that is too young to even understand what a "Tony Blair" is or what part of her tiny world Iraq is in. I do not sit down and tell my daughter what sexual position is best, even though I have a "belief" or opinion concerning the subject. The reason I don't is because she's too young - because what I am imparting to her will not be understood. By that same token I do not tell her that Lenny the Leprechaun is master and chief of the universe and that's that. Although at some stage I can most likely advise her on these subjects. She can study, experience and test these things, it is not my place, indeed it is utterly immoral, to think I can force any of these things upon her - especially at a time where her mind is as fragile as it is.

I educate my daughter, yes.. There are limits, and there are distinct differences between education and forced indoctrination.

It is this same responsibility which drives the religious to indoctrinate their children with a belief in God. The two processes are in fact one and the same.

That's not an excuse. Although I will undoubtedly be accused of not being able to have an adult discussion, what you're saying is absolutely no different to an alcoholic saying it is his responsibility to indoctrinate his child with a belief that drinking alcohol is "cool".

Now, being a man that likes his drink, I have indeed 'asked' my daughter if she would like a sip, (which is completely legal in the UK - where any parent/guardian can give alcohol to a child over 5). She said no. She has seen what it does to people and understands the dangers and downside - all because of teaching, (my teaching). Yes, being able to point out the downside to something you personally 'believe' is quite beneficial. However, the ultimate choice lies with her - and that is the only way it should be. The 'teaching' is fine. It is the forcing that is the issue.

Most of you will or should know about the effects of force. "Do not smoke" leads to teenage smokers - because they have been forced. Quite often children forced into religion find themselves breaking free in their early teens - at great expense to themselves, (we've seen some on this very forum). But in these scenarios, the only thing missing is 'choice' for the children.

I have certainly found I am not the typical parent, (for starters I actually treat my daughter as an equal). Admittedly I did the same with my dog and that didn't work - he did need to know his place, and while I resent treating anything as lower than me there was really little choice with an animal that has really sharp teeth. It works perfectly with my daughter though. Given that she is an equal, I let her do whatever she wants. If she wants to have a cigarette then fine. Inside it's different.. I might not want her to smoke, marry a black man or use foul language in front of her mother, (examples, not specifically personal feelings) - but at the end of the day it isn't my life. I do not in any way have the right to tell her what to do or how to do it. Few will be able to say that their child has never done anything 'wrong', but I can. Ok, she has been a bit upset in the last couple of months with worry because we're expecting another child and she's used to being by herself, but when my friends said "terrible twos" and whatnot, I was the only person asking what that was.

She knows her place in the world specificially because I did not make her an Alan, Betty, Charlie or Daniel - but gave her the ability to be a part of all of them, if she so chooses.

I imagine your primary objection to this will be your assertion that your beliefs actually are true, but this ignores the possibility that you could be wrong about something.

Undoubtedly wrong about many things. It is literally impossible to persuade me that alcohol is not the best substance in the galaxy. I do not force my child to think the same. She can if she really wants to though, that's where I clearly differ to most.

Back to group cohesion. It's not that difficult to see how, in a religious community or family, religion plays a major factor in gluing the group together. A Jew among devout Catholics will have that much less in common. This doesn't mean that a child brought up with a different religion (or none at all) than the local norm will have no friends. I actually never claimed that; you assumed that I meant to imply it.

My apologies, perhaps I thought you were implying it with all the "no place in the world", "unwanted by the world", "trust nobody" and "miserable life" statements - which are all still unjustified. Also maybe worth pointing out, but it's typically the forcing of specific beliefs that will indeed make those catholics dislike their jewish neighbour, resulting in that alienation you speak of. The problem here is not lack of force, (open to different cultures/beliefs and systems), but indeed force itself.

Considering a child hasn't got the proper tools to find most things out for himself, he needs the parent to be a factual authority to give him a reliable foundation of knowledge. It is one of the crucial functions of parenting.

Once again let it be said that I have never disputed 'teaching'.

Good day.

P.S Apologies for any typos or whatever.

Last edited:
Alright, since this is back on to reasonable discussion, I'd have to say that most parents don't necessarily "force" their children into religion. I made an observation earlier that I know people who are very close to me, who come from very religious families, and they weren't "forced" into believing what their parents believed. Yes, they were educated in a single religion, but I don't equate that with forced indoctrination.

Yes, grounding your child because they didn't want to go to church on sunday would be unreasonable, but sending your 5 year-old to a religious insitution to be educated in your religion (even if you don't expose them to other faiths) is not the same as punishing them for refusing to be a part of it. In no way have children in this position been "forced" into anything. They lacked the capacity to raise an objection. You may find this unreasonable or even disgusting, but it's a perfectly natural way for children to be raised, and the point I was trying to make was that this has always been the natural way to raise children. Many people's values in this area (who live in secular societies) would deviate considerably from the norm. I use the past as a precedent because it is perfectly reasonable to do so, given that everything we have now is a result of what has come before.

To tell you the truth, if I were to have a child I would probably raise him or her in the same manner which you have described raising your own child. I just don't consider the way that other people raise their children to be disgusting or unreasonable just because their value systems deviate from my own.

For the record, my username is "Jaster" not "Jester", just in case you thought it was a misspelling.

Alright, since this is back on to reasonable discussion, I'd have to say that most parents don't necessarily "force" their children into religion. I made an observation earlier that I know people who are very close to me, who come from very religious families, and they weren't "forced" into believing what their parents believed. Yes, they were educated in a single religion, but I don't equate that with forced indoctrination.

Ok, I suppose from a 'normal' perspective things do not look all that bad, but there is a lot behind the scenes. In England there are many devout catholic schools, (boarding and standard). The teachers are nuns, the students don't get a say - and that's just one such example.

My niece goes to a devout jewish school, (the one I said was a whack job). She's like 5 years old and worrying that if she eats pork she'll get struck down. That is simply wrong, and where my concerns lie. I suppose there's a very fine line between "educated in a single religion", and no choice in what you will believe. I would personally advise teaching children about as encompassing a range as possible to prevent, (to quote Baum): "A Jew among devout Catholics will have that much less in common".

but sending your 5 year-old to a religious insitution to be educated in your religion (even if you don't expose them to other faiths) is not the same as punishing them for refusing to be a part of it.

See above. Are they really being done any favours at all? Are we breeding intolerance and division? Does a child taught only about Manchester United end up slapping a Newcastle fan because he was never given the benefits of knowing anything about Newcastle?

There are probably few things as dangerous as football and religion. There was an interesting observation made at a recent Star Trek convention. A journalist questioned one of the organisers who, after being asked some questions of this nature, responded that a Babylon 5 fan has never killed a Voyager fan. Religion does not work this way because of it's 'absolute right or wrong' core. There is no middle ground. A jew does not believe in jesus as divine and thus is wrong to a christian - no two ways about it. I think Voyager is the best of the Star Treks, you prefer Next Gen.. No harm done. You, (for sake of example), believe yhwh is the one and only god and I'm an atheist and it's an instant problem.

But religion doesn't even stop on what does or doesn't exist, but what a person can or cannot do. Homosexuals have been discriminated against for millennia, as have woman and black people etc etc. To give your children one understanding of what is and isn't, and what is and isn't right or moral is to promote discrimination, intolerance and hatred. Now just maybe blacks, women and homosexuals are disgusting vermin, but to even come close to a personal answer to that surely one must be taught a variety of worldviews as opposed to just one which is closed book on the matter? Life becomes like deal or no deal, but without the ability to say no deal.

A while back I had these two young jewish boys come to my house and start trying to preach to me, (which is actually quite rare for jews). While I will admit they seemingly knew everything about how to preach yhwh, they knew absolute diddly-squat about anything else. I found it positively sickening - and that is my beef.

For the record, my username is "Jaster" not "Jester", just in case you thought it was a misspelling

Apologies. For some reason I had the impression it was Jester.

Most people don't understand the subtle damage done to a child, by indoctrination, their parents whom may be devoutly religious see as an education in their way of life, thir religion, their beliefs of god, etc..

However the damage is done, in being lied to, in being deceived, by some delusional beliefs of ancient dogmatic people, their rhetoric is taken as literal truth, hence they then grow up to be like LG! completely delusional, and belief that those whom don't share his views, his religious beliefs are simply loss non-beliebers who need to be saved, who need to be taught, who he see's as misquided individuals. As if they had anything to guide anyone for a bette life! :eek:

I used to think of LG as a sort of intelligent person. He believed in God but was still to some degree rational. I think over the last months he has restricted himself to a handful of 'fool proof' analogies which he feels confident using. I think by restricting his arguments to these obviously erroneous analogies, he has insulted his own intelligence.

KennyJC said:
I used to think of LG as a sort of intelligent person. He believed in God but was still to some degree rational. I think over the last months he has restricted himself to a handful of 'fool proof' analogies which he feels confident using. I think by restricting his arguments to these obviously erroneous analogies, he has insulted his own intelligence.

If it seems that I am repeating the same analogies its because you are repeating the same arguments - you are still yet to establish the clear method to enable a high school drop out to understand an electron

lightgigantic said:
If it seems that I am repeating the same analogies its because you are repeating the same arguments - you are still yet to establish the clear method to enable a high school drop out to understand an electron
You could always come up with a different analogy to explain the same thing. It gets pretty annoying after just a few repetitions. (This high school drop out can still understand an electron, by the way. :p Actually I've never met a person who wasn't receptive to the concept, and that includes children in elementary school.)

baumgarten said:
You could always come up with a different analogy to explain the same thing. It gets pretty annoying after just a few repetitions. (This high school drop out can still understand an electron, by the way. :p Actually I've never met a person who wasn't receptive to the concept, and that includes children in elementary school.)

Well I will draw up a some new analogies when I start getting some new arguments :D

- despite the number of time it comes up I still don't get any response how a person disqualified in afield of knowoledge due to attitude can come to the platform of perceiving the evidence .... I can't even Get Kenny to tell us how many scriptural works and commentaries he is familiar with when he makes his statements

lightgigantic said:
Well I will draw up a some new analogies when I start getting some new arguments :D

- despite the number of time it comes up I still don't get any response how a person disqualified in afield of knowoledge due to attitude can come to the platform of perceiving the evidence .... I can't even Get Kenny to tell us how many scriptural works and commentaries he is familiar with when he makes his statements
But that's just a question of intellectual honesty. If someone has decided in advance what the conclusion of a discussion will be, then the point of discussing in the first place has been lost.

Unfortunately, most of us are guilty of that. A lot of discussions in Religion and elsewhere are exercises in futility from the first reply. SnakeLord and I were just previously convinced of our own rightness, and the result was an unproductive exchange of hostility and indignation. Then after a real attempt at clarification by each of us, I ended up agreeing with his point of view. Now that's progress, baby!

OK then -

Kenny here are two q's for you

1 - How do you propose that person bereft of knowledge comes to the platform of perceiving the foundatins for such knolwedge when they have an obvious attitude against it?

2 - How many scriptural works and commentaries are you familiar with when you make your statements regarding religion?

lightgigantic said:
Kenny here are two q's for you

1 - How do you propose that person bereft of knowledge comes to the platform of perceiving the foundatins for such knolwedge when they have an obvious attitude against it?

Well the first question is why do people know what it is they know? In science, this is easily answered. You are correct in saying that a person who has an emotional reaction against basic scientific facts such as evolution, or the Earth not being the center of the universe will discredit it without much need for understanding it. However, they are ignoring clear factual evidence as to why educated people believe this to be true. In essence, scientists are describing external (non-subjective) physical phenomena. Scientists don't start off with a previously held notion, if they do, it will often send them down the wrong path.

Now my question to you is that if a God exists, how do we perceive it? So far I have not heard any credible answer to this question and I will flat out refuse any subjective 'evidence'.

2 - How many scriptural works and commentaries are you familiar with when you make your statements regarding religion?

Well I had a robust faith based Catholic education. We had to go to church and sing hymns and all the rest. We were told of all the great stories in the Bible and had to read the Bible in class. I think as time went by I wondered why there was little evidence to support these grand claims like heaven and Jesus being the son of God (amongst other things), and never really thought about it much after that... Until that is, I got interested in science. I think what gives theists such a bad rep is that they contradict basic facts in science and not just that, but they have a history of being incredibly wrong at every new turn human knowledge and understanding takes which is why I'm sure remaining theistical notions will be proved wrong if they take place in the physical universe. Religion generally speaking is something theists pander to for emotional security and it appeals quite prolifically to their superstitious natures.

Once again you are emplying that the more one reads scripture or reads about scripture, the more qualified they are to judge it as factual or not. In which case, our agnostic theology professors who probably know more than you do, are non-believers... Why?

My point is your analogy is a copout. I could use the exact same analogy against anybody who refuted my tea-pot-orbiting-the-sun fantasy. It would also be easy to understand why people who refute my fantasy would always follow a similar line of argument. Do you see what I mean? You seriously need more substance to your arguments.

KennyJC said:
Well the first question is why do people know what it is they know? In science, this is easily answered. You are correct in saying that a person who has an emotional reaction against basic scientific facts such as evolution, or the Earth not being the center of the universe will discredit it without much need for understanding it. However, they are ignoring clear factual evidence as to why educated people believe this to be true. In essence, scientists are describing external (non-subjective) physical phenomena. Scientists don't start off with a previously held notion, if they do, it will often send them down the wrong path.
Agreed.

Now my question to you is that if a God exists, how do we perceive it? So far I have not heard any credible answer to this question and I will flat out refuse any subjective 'evidence'.
And here, you've hit the limits of scientific inquiry. If you have to discount subjective experiences as evidence, than you cannot answer the question with either a "yes" or "no". However, it is still known that something is being experienced. The only thing you have to go on at that point is the word of the person who experienced it. Subjective phenomena aren't "delusions", they are simply things which exists differently to different people. The experiences which form the foundations of religion (not necessarily the beliefs which evolve around those experiences) are quite real, and to dismiss them wholesale because you can't accept subjective evidence seems rather shortsighted. I agree, science cannot and should not deal with subjective phenomena, but no one should ever assume that, just because it cannot be examined using the scientific method, that it mustn't be "real". It just has to be dealt with more carefully.

lightgigantic said:
Kenny

According to such methodologies of "evidence" that you require the human mind doesn't even exist either - what do you think about that :eek:
BTW its a real shame that a scientist cannot get a nobel peace prize- maybe they could learn something :
you really do need to do some research before you open you mouth
Linus Carl Pauling Chemist, chairman of the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, as well as director of the Gates and Crellin Laboratories of Chemistry at California Institute of Technology.
Dr. Pauling was almost as well known to the American public as he was to the world's scientific community. He is the only person ever to receive two unshared Nobel Prizes — for Chemistry (1954) and for Peace (1962).
he died on Aug. 19, 1994, the world lost one of its greatest scientists and humanitarians

Back