Best Intentions - Dynamics of Spiritual Abuse

snakelord the questions must be too hard for baum and jester, talk about avoid the issue.

baum and jester just answer the questions, and stop trying to overlay the questions with irrelevent rubbish.

I'l reprint them here, for you both.

"Kindly show me how not being forced to believe in a specific being results in belief that "you have no place in the world"?"

"How does not forcing your child into belief of a specific deity before he's old enough to even understand the word deity mean he's not being allowed to function in society or that he's being alienated?"

"Now you need to show me how not forcing belief in a god down your childs throat ends up with that child having no friends. Please, I await with bated breath."

Last edited:
Godless said:
That's not entirely accurate there my friend.
In jail most people there are religious! ;) Don't forget your pedophile preasts either!

Godless

Hi Godless ,

I forgot that , but the reason so many inmates turn religious, is, that reality in jail is so bad , that they prefer to escape into a delusion of their mind (religion), to escape the everyday life of harsh jail life ......

:)

If you are having big problems , then you always have delusional religion as a comfort ..........

lightgigantic said:
They do tend to deify persons like dawkins

Funny , I just talked to 3 of my atheist friends , neither of them had ever heard about Dawkins - I had to look him up on wikipedia myself - you are right, Dawkins is an atheist ........ never heard about him myself before ....

I asked them whether they deified any atheists - they looked at me like I was crazy - one of them asked if meant Darwin .......

:)

Aye. I suppose it would be worth doing a quick summary for jester so he understands what I've been asking and why I've been asking it. All in good time I guess..

Rhetorical questions escape you, it seems. You seem to be stuck on this throughout your post. I was actually saying it with the hope that you had read history extensively, so that you could better understand my position. I suppose this was entirely lost upon you.

Piss taking at the expense of someone that made a rather stupid opening statement seems to escape you.

History is no standard by which to compare the fundamentals of human nature? I guess we should just ignore it, then. This is patently ridiculous. I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about all of human history.

You very well might be, but what you're obviously failing to grasp is that I wasn't, before Baum jumped in and started waffling about how "The church doesn't do that!", when I'd never even mentioned churches, and ended up going on about tribe a and if we didn't all force our kids into specific belief then they'd have no friends, (something I still await either of you to justify). Kenny seemed to understand, indeed asking Baum what his tribe nonsense had to do with "forced religious indoctrination in modern society", to which Baum mentioned hot dogs and baseball, (and I too have mentioned football) - while the pair of you seem blissfully unaware that I am not talking about teaching children but forcing belief upon them.

By all means teach children about football, baseball and hot dogs. Don't force them to watch football and eat hotdogs. If you disagree with that statement, (under Baum's original basis that not forcing them will mean they have no friends), then once again I ask you to justify it. Once that is done we can move on to history and the effects of forced belief and if that still applies in a vastly multicultural country in the year 2006.

It is often said that football is the religion of England. Are you saying that if I don't force feed football team worship to my son that he will have no friends? That's what Baum is saying and that is what I am questioning. Worth pointing out perhaps that I hate football, have never liked it - but yes, do understand the game. Whether it's believed or not, I do have friends, (many of whom are serious football fans funnily enough).

Funnily enough I also have jewish friends, scientologist friends, hindu friends etc and yet I have never been force fed to believe in their specific religions or gods. Your entire post crumbles to dust on this very statement.

I was talking about the nature of humanity reaching back into the darkest depths of time.

That's really very interesting, but once again does not really answer the questions I posed or offer much in the way of value to my original statement.

They come from people, and you're condemnation of those values, and of instilling them in young children, is no different or more noble than the condemnation of one group of people by another.

The Saturday paedophile club would give you a big "bravo".

Forget about the ultimate truth or falsity of the particular belief of a religion.

Forget? Wtf.. surely that's the most important thing? I'm sorry, is that what goes through your mind while you brain fuck your child into believing in whatever you tell him to?

"I'm a leprechaunist.. forget if it's true or not son. Believe it or else"

--------

"Well son, there's many different religions that have different beliefs. Here's a list. What do you think?"

*child starts using their own brain*

"well dad, I think..."

That is education, the former one was force fed belief. You seem to be unable to distinguish the difference between the two, (possibly because you're stuck in the deepest, darkest pits of human history).

You're arguing against religious indoctrination (or so it seems), not against indoctrination of a specific (as in, Christianity, for instance, or Islam) belief system.

My original statement was concerned with forcing someone to believe or do something, (not that they should never get an education as you seemingly think). This applies not just to religious belief, (although given religious beliefs common "forget if it's true or not" attitude which quite frankly is not the way humans should go through life makes it all the more pertinent), but to forced belief of just about anything. It is the very fact that it isn't "forced" which still allows Texas halfwits to go around claiming evolution is hokum. Now, to go back to the original question and my statement:

"If a bunch of fisherman want to talk about fishing what's wrong with it?"

My response: Nothing, as long as they do not force everyone else to fish.

I went on to explain that a week after a child is born, many parents assign what that child will or will not believe. By heck, if your parents believe in leprechauns so will you. The rebuttal to that is that if they don't you wont have any friends, wont survive and will probably jump off a very large building sometime soon. I ask for justification of those claims. At the registry of my daughters birth I told the woman I didn't know my childs religion, but promised to come back in 20 years time when my daughter has figured it out for herself. My daughter has friends, she's not suicidal and she's surviving quite comfortably. You and Baum seem to think that's impossible, so justify it.

What I'm saying is that neither of us made this into a moral issue, and you are forcing it into one.

I didn't force anything, I made a statement that has been understood by some and not understood by others. I have not, as Baum claims, had a pop at churches, nor have I made statements against educating children as you seem to believe. What I want from you is justification to force a specific belief in a specific deity to a child that is not even old enough to say "goo goo". Saying that its justified because they did it in the deepest, darkest locations on earth 2000 years ago is not really an answer.

What are we to do? Teach children nothing at all?

Now you're being extremely silly or just oblivious to what I've been saying.

It is warranted, and in deeply religious societies it is equally essential.

Deeply religious societies heh. I understand and agree with that, (although do personally hope the trend is broken eventually). I have not disputed that in the poorer, less educated nations where religiosity is high, (this seems to include the US, which although not poor or specifically uneducated, is the anomaly with a high religiosity rate), that right now kids might indeed be alienated without sharing that belief. Let's instead look at the majority of first world nations.

Statistically speaking concerning religious importance.. The trend is thus:

Senegal 97% (yes, a child here might very well be alienated)
Indonesia/Nigeria/India/Pakistan/Mali/Ivory Coast 90-95% (same as above)
Some more African nations in the 80's
South American nations in the 60's
The anomalous USA with 59%

Then you have a massive gap...

European nations from the mid 30's all the way down to 11%.

Now, if we were to concentrate on the European nations for now, do you still ascribe to the idea that if religious belief is not forced then the child will have no friends? Do you still indeed consider it "essential to survival"? (this is what I seek answer to)

Take into account that for this debate I am:

A) Not talking about baseball, football, or hot dogs

B) Not talking about not 'educating' children, but as it has always been, forcing belief

and C) Not talking about 1000 years ago.

As I said before, if you absolutely believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that your particular religious belief is going to be the most important factor in your child's life, how can you not teach them about it?

There's the thing though, it's nothing to do with not "teaching". And here's the other thing, I can almost guarantee you that if, for arguments sake, you were a deeply religious christian and found out the local school was forcing islamic belief on your child, you'd understand what I've been saying. It remains however, that neither of you are in the right, (and undoubtedly fixed with that "forget whats true or not" attitude), while ensuring your child grows up believing whatever you want it to believe - with no regard whatsoever for your own child's future thoughts or feelings on the matter. This then leads to 'alienation' when your own child grows up a tad and decides it doesn't want to be what you have tried to ensure it would be by force feeding it 'junk thoughts' for the majority of it's early life. And that there is the beef of the issue.. My daughters father loves his alcohol. He loves to crack open a few beers/bottles of wine and enjoy what they have to offer. That does not in any way give me the right, or indeed make it essential for survival, that I force my child to do the same - absolutely f***ing regardless to how much I love, cherish and worship my beer. Given that a mass % of the English population love to drink, does that mean I am ensuring my daughter has no friends, cannot find her place in the world or not survive? Absolutely not. Only a raving, halfwitted idiot would claim otherwise. To mimic you for the sake of it; "forget whether beer is healthy or not". Why, I could say that all day long - but what of my childs rights?

You see, the flaw in your reasoning here is very simple: You assign no intrinsic value to religious belief of any kind, and consider them simply flights of fanciful imagination (or so it seems).

Hey pal, you were the one telling me to not really care whether it's true or not, and I can see just what you mean given my above analogy. Fuck 'em, right? Who cares as long as you force it upon your child, because without it they wont survive, wont have friends, will feel alienated and end up committing suicide. Why is it that no matter how hard I try you will not justify the only thing I am asking justification for in this thread?
Now, let's be frank.. I might not, indeed I don't, find flaws in mass alcohol consumption - indeed, being English, I consider it of utmost importance to everyone English - it is our culture, our way of life. Now kindly point out the flaw in my reasoning that my personal beliefs of alcohol consumption must be forced upon my daughter for her to be able to survive or have friends. You are right, I do not assign religious belief the same value that I assign lager. Now tell me what that has to do with the price of a bag of chips.

Most people do not feel as you do, and so they do not consider the instilling of (to you) valueless beliefs as immoral in the slightest.

Paedophiles don't feel as I do. Now justify the forcing of a specific belief onto a child and how not doing that will mean they have no friends and will not survive. Please, I've only asked 1000 times.

On the contrary, they consider it their moral imperative to teach their children about their God/gods

Although I'm clearly going to have to resort to drawing pictures, let it be said for the last time that I do not have an issue with "teaching".

Historical perspective is absolutely essential in understanding why people do things. You are making a moral judgment of an activity that is rooted in the very seat of humanity's existence. You are looking at something which has been instilled in every culture around the world for thousands of generations and saying that it is "wrong"

An interesting concept.. "It's old, so you can't say it's wrong". What can I say, slavery is rooted in the very seat of humanity's existence - clearly that ain't wrong either. Who the fuck am I to question something when it has been done for millennia? The very fact that it has been done for millennia makes it ok, means it's perfectly peachy. Forget progression, it's for tossers who don't appreciate history.

The adage: "If it aint broke don't fix it" would be good here, but you'd undoubtedly shorten it to "don't fix it".

"They did it 1000 years ago! We have to continue or we'll never survive or have friends!"

For generations upon generations the world was flat. Some prick came along and challenged it. Fuck him too. Bastard.

Not once did I ever say that here and now it is right for people to do this. I have maintained that assigning a moral judgment to this activity is that which is false, and you continue to act as if I have said that it is right.

Actually no. I continue to ask you and Baum to justify the statement that it is "essential to survival" and lack of doing so means you "have no friends". Your seemingly only attempted justification right now is that they did it 1000 years ago. I would laugh at that but I'm far too busy getting my daughter and I drunk.

Well, then you're talking about a much more narrow subject then either of us.

Narrow, wide, long, short, fat, thin, cute or ugly is of no relevance. You seem insistant that man dare not ever challenge something that has been around for thousands of years, while excusing every paedophile in the world for brain fucking their children to be paedohpiles just because they feel like it - all the while completely ignoring the questions I have asked. Don't worry though, I will let you live..Wait, murder has been an intrinsic part of humanity going back to the dawn of humanity, (and indeed from a religious perspective was one of the first things to occur). Wait, let me get my daughter.. I've got something to force feed her.

What we are saying is that it is hardwired into people's behavior to indoctrinate their children into religious belief, and that your characterization of it as morally wrong is silly at best.

That's fine, now you just need to justify how it is "silly at best". Kindly do not give me the "they did it 1000 years ago" crap.

And my statement, as I for some reason need to keep repeating, is that making moral judgments of a fundamental human activity, one that has always been essential to society's smooth functioning until recently, is a silly path to tread.

How dare you question the world's flatness! I shall see you hang from the gallows for such a crime.

I would say "needless to say", but clearly I do need to say it, but there are many social species on the planet. Not one of them, other than humans, feels the need to force feed religious belief to their young. They will teach - most certainly.

Now, kindly justify the "essential" need to force belief in a specific religion/deity on your child.

(say in a spasticated voice): "But.. but.. they did it 1000 years ago".

Ancient history is the reason why people do this.

Yee fucking haw. Ancient people also used to piss on the floor. Must we really continue the trend just because they did? Ancient people also used to shove christians into pits with lions. Which one of you wants to go first?

It's been so much a part of culture for so many thousands and thousands of years that there is no other way that people know

I disagree. The 33%- 11% religiosity in most of Europe points towards the opposite. Unlike you, not everyone is stuck in the deepest, darkest parts of history. No sir, we have progressed - we continue to progress. To quote the papers:

"Organized religion is in near-terminal decline in Britain..." Matt Barnwell & Amy Iggulden, of the News.Telegraph

Oh could you imagine it? Could you, so stuck in the past, imagine a world where religion was in terminal decline? Where people did not force their children to believe what they believed? All the "it can't happen, people did it thousands of years ago!" will not help or save your arguments. You are a relic, a dinosaur. All the protests that it's essential and needed to have friends crumble into nothingness. Please, I beg and urge you - justify the statements. Show me clearly why, (without worrying about what they did before the invention of wheels), force feeding religious belief here and now leads to having no friends and is essential to survival. Man have I got a hard on for the answer. Please, I implore you.

I would even contend that it's still essential

You would heh? Ok here is your big chance... Justify that statement. $50 says you don't.

Imagine if there were no sense of patriotism within your nation. Where does that sense come from? Does it come naturally? No. It comes because parents, and public schooling, and the community at large has taught everyone to think like that. It's a part of the citizen's identity. It's who they are, for heaven's sake.

33% implies it isn't who they are - heavens sake, bananas sake or anything else sake aside. For thousands of years mankind has forced fed belief to their young - and through all of that only a third of the English have listened. But no, sayeth you.. it is "Essential", it is what we've always done, it is the only thing we know. I promise you dear sir, force feed or have no friends. The choice is yours. I would say you're talking out of your rectum if I didn't know that bums cant talk.

It's a part of cultural identity. If you remove it, without replacing it with something else, you remove a large part of what makes a person a part of the community that they came from.

11% in France. A large part? I disagree. I've met people that (have friends) and get along just peachy without forced belief. Ok, they're not religious - and nor are they like that guy that lived back in the stone age - but they are part of their community, perhaps because there is always something else - be it fishing, drug pushing or football. And while the teaching is fine, not one of them needed to be forced into any specific belief. For the absolute last time: Justify how it is "essential to survival" and is the only way to have friends.

That's what we were arguing. We weren't talking about the U.K. in 2006, we were talking about communities in general, throughout all of history.

No, we weren't. You seem to be the only person that doesn't understand that.

Religion is and always has been a fact of life.

And that, undoubtedly, makes it fine to force upon your children.

You know, rape is and always has been a fact of life. I'm sorry, what was your point?

which human beings need so desperately to survive

You keep saying that and I keep calling you on it. Why can you not justify the statement other than to say they did it a millennia ago?

in which you think you're right and everyone else is wrong because you've indoctrinated yourself into secular, modernist thinking.

Don't get smarmy with me boy, I have been decent enough to ask more questions than make plain statements. Unfortunately neither of you have had the common decency to answer those questions. All it takes is you. Although I said I wouldn't, need I ask those questions one more time?

Neither Baumgarten nor myself was making a moral judgment of religious indoctrination. We were both saying that it was necessary in most societies throughout history (history, as in all time periods and places, thank you)

That's absolutely peachy. Let's end with a couple more questions, (that will undoubtedly never be answered)

A) Because something could perhaps possibly be considered "necessary" in "most societies in history", does that mean it is necessary right here and now in societies that are vastly multicultural?"

B) Is my alcoholism "essential" to the survival of my daughter, and if I do not force it upon her will she end up with no friends? If not, kindly justify the difference between my alcoholism and belief in a specific floaty space being.

C) Just for the sake of it: Would you consider it 'wrong' if your children were forced into believing scientology was the "truth" (tm), by your local schooling establishment or perhaps by me, or someone else?

D) Any chance you could answer my question and justify the statements that you have made?

Good day.

Last edited:
I'm going to ignore the rest of your diatribe, and just stick to the questions at the end of your post. Undoubtedly, you'll ignore what I have to say and continue asking those very same questions, but here goes...

SnakeLord said:
A) Because something could perhaps possibly be considered "necessary" in "most societies in history", does that mean it is necessary right here and now in societies that are vastly multicultural?"
NO. I've already said this. I've already said that it depends on time and place, but you looked over that part, didn't you? The ony part that provides common ground between both of our arguments, and you skip right over it. It seems like you're not interested in reconciling our respective views, which is what a debate is all about. No, you've turned this into two people yelling at one another. For the sake of attempting to fix this problem, I'll quote myself (in context, as well. something which you seem unable to do):
Jaster Mereel said:
There is no absolutism to this issue. It's purely relative. It depends on who you are, where you are,
There's the key quote, right there. It's not hard to find the rest of the argument, and I sincerely suggest you actually try and understand my position, or else this is going to become a fruitless waste of time for the both of us.
B) Is my alcoholism "essential" to the survival of my daughter, and if I do not force it upon her will she end up with no friends? If not, kindly justify the difference between my alcoholism and belief in a specific floaty space being.
Wow. I'm going to ignore your totally inane comparison of alcoholism to religion, because I'm sure that you can tell the difference between the two (if you need me to explain it to you, then by all means). If you can't, I suggest you stop debating the issue because it would mean that you lack a fundamental understanding with which to support yourself.

Moving away from that, and the insult, onto the subject at hand... No. If you don't teach your daughter to be an alcoholic it won't cause her to have no friends, because A: The comparison doesn't work. People don't kill each other over what brand of beer is better, and B: If we move back to religion, in your particular society, religious belief is not necessary to a child's cultural identity. You've already admitted that in some places it is, and if a child grows up not believing what everyone else in the community believes they are likely to live a lonely, isolated life (Baum was drawing a connection between living a lonely, isolated life and suicide, although they are not always connected like that, obviously). As I said, there is no absolutely right thing to do on this issue. If you're in a society like Europe, or the United States, religious indoctrination (in most places) is not necessary, because religion is not a deep seated part of the culture (I know you Europeans seem to think that the United States is deeply religious, but stop listening to the speeches our president gives... he doesn't represent the real majority of us, especially on this issue. The United States is a secular country, we're all just greedy bastards who like to throw rhetoric around like monkey's tossing feces at one another).

C) Just for the sake of it: Would you consider it 'wrong' if your children were forced into believing scientology was the "truth" (tm), by your local schooling establishment or perhaps by me, or someone else?
Yes. I would consider it wrong if my child was "forced" to believe anything at all. But I guess I'd have to ask what you mean by forced. Really, what do you mean? It seems to me that you believe the only way a child could ever believe religious teachings is if it is stuffed down their throat, without giving them any time to critically think about the ideas they're being fed. If that is what you're talking about, then I'd have to say it doesn't happen all that often. I know plenty of peope who grew up religious, and never once did their parents threaten them with punishment if they didn't do to church, or tell them that they would burn in hell for not believing. You seem to have this very twisted preconceived notion about religious people, that they are ignorant, stupid, violent, intolerant apes that don't allow their children to think freely. If that is the case, then I'd have to say you've either known quite a few fanatics, or you haven't known many religious people.

"Kindly show me how not being forced to believe in a specific being results in belief that "you have no place in the world"?"

"How does not forcing your child into belief of a specific deity before he's old enough to even understand the word deity mean he's not being allowed to function in society or that he's being alienated?"

"Now you need to show me how not forcing belief in a god down your childs throat ends up with that child having no friends. Please, I await with bated breath."
These three quotes ask essentially the same question. Since neither the example given or the explanation of its principles by either Jaster or me seem to satisfy, I'll try to put it succinctly.

If everyone around you engages in a religious behavior or shares a belief, or indeed any behavior or belief that with which the population identifies culturally, and that behavior or belief is not shared by you, that alienates you from that culture and that society. A child who early on is alienated from his peers will feel like he has no place in the world, so if any belief of cultural significance -- not just a religious belief, but anything important to that particular society's worldview -- is not impressed upon the child at an early age, it will lessen the likelihood that he will be able to get along with his peers, understand the society he's living in, and essentially be able to eventually function in the real world.

This points to the very reason why there is culture: It facilitates the cohesion of a group, thereby providing an advantage for survival. Inasmuch as religion is collectively considered to be a part of culture identity (and it undeniably is in most times and places in humanity) it shares in this advantageousness. An individual in a group who shares in its cultural identity (and therefore religion in most cases) will be at an advantage, and contrapositively, one who does not will be at a disadvantage. It is no mistake that the old idiom, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," survives to this day.

And yes, even in today's melting pot of a world, it is still important to belong to some kind of group. And many groups still exist, and they still strive to establish some individuality among all the friction and diffusion. Even if you're the quintissential Western secular man, brought up that way from birth, you're a member of the Western secular culture and you share in its worldview. You have been indoctrinated with silly Western beliefs that help you survive in a Western society. Of course they are not silly to you, but silliness is a matter of perspective, as anyone educated of worldly matters should know. A tribe of culturally isolated hunter-gatherers would surely puzzle upon their exposure to our society, just as the first American colonists struggled to understand the natives of the New World.

I've seen the same question thrice; this is my last attempt to answer it. If the question must be asked a fourth time, we'll have to chalk it up to an ultimate failure in communication, or perhaps the lack of a willingness to understand.

Last edited:
I'm going to ignore the rest of your diatribe

You know, It's my birthday today and I love surprises. That wasn't one.

Undoubtedly, you'll ignore what I have to say and continue asking those very same questions, but here goes...

That's great. When beaten into a corner, the 'victim'' generally starts coming out with the very same comments that the guy he's debating with stated first. It somehow seemingly reflects focus off the 'victim' who has up until now proven incapable of answering simple questions and back on to the other debater. It's a classic maneuvre and one I would congratulate you on if I didn't have more important things on my mind right now.

NO. I've already said this. I've already said that it depends on time and place, but you looked over that part, didn't you?

Alas I haven't overlooked anything, but given that it took you 3 entire posts and just one lonely little sentence at the end of your third to agree to what I was saying, I thought I'd leave it up to you to point out a tad more clearly. Suffice it to say, an underlined 'no' is sufficient. I am glad we agree.

It seems like you're not interested in reconciling our respective views, which is what a debate is all about.

Sorry master Yoda. Now you have enlightened me as to what a debate is or is not, I shall never make the mistake again. Btw, is there any chance of an actual debate here or are you just going to continue telling me what I am or am not capable of? No my dear little friend, I have never read a book, have never had a debate, have never learnt about history. Anything else you'd like to add?

Let it be said that I have been trying to 'reconcile this issue' ever since Baum decided to butt in saying I have an issue with churches - although not once did I mention churches. Since that moment I have had to tip-toe my way through this thread through fear of someone telling me whether I can read or not while also telling me anything I say will be ignored the very second it becomes a little too hard to answer.

Now, to make it totally clear to you, oh master sir..

1) It is wrong, (in modern day English society - that's England 2006), for a parent to force specific belief upon their child without the consent of that child.

2) If you believe, (as has been stated by you and Baum), that not forcing a child into belief means he will have no friends and not survive, then you need to justify your statements.

Wow. I'm going to ignore your totally inane comparison...

I'd be impressed if it wasn't so fucking typical. The minute someone calls you, just pretend it's worthless, (although not having the decency to explain and justify yourself), and then say "I'm ignoring it". It's weak.

comparison of alcoholism to religion, because I'm sure that you can tell the difference between the two (if you need me to explain it to you, then by all means).

Shoot.

You offered, I'm calling you on it. Please, do enlighten me..

If you can't, I suggest you stop debating the issue because it would mean that you lack a fundamental understanding with which to support yourself.

Now you're getting ahead of yourself. You couldn't manage to justify your statements - no sir, you just said they are as you say and if I disagree it's because I know nothing - and somehow think that's acceptable. If you knew anything about debate you'd know you have to try a little harder than that. Now, kindly show the level of maturity not to give the billy big balls "I'm ignoring that, and you don't understand but I wont explain it" speech and get on with it. Let me guess, it's all because they did it 2000 years ago?

because A: The comparison doesn't work. People don't kill each other over what brand of beer is better

Ok. So what you're now saying is that you must force religious belief upon your child because religious people kill each other. It's certainly an interesting idea. No, you don't need to force beer drinking on your children because people don't kill each other over beer. Hmmm... Well jester, that's a mighty fine premise you've got going there, yes siree.

B: If we move back to religion, in your particular society, religious belief is not necessary to a child's cultural identity.

I see. So what are you telling me? Are you now recinding your earlier statements that forcing religious belief is "essential to survival"? Are you saying that my "particular society", (and yes I understand that the UK is a weird and strange place unlike any other on earth), is in a position where there is no justification for forcing religious belief on children? Are you agreeing with my original statements and as a result showing that everything else you've said until now was worthless? Are you finally accepting that Baum was full of shit when saying it is essential to force feed belief to a child otherwise he has no friends? Why, it seems like you are. I commend the bravery.

If you're in a society like Europe, or the United States, religious indoctrination (in most places) is not necessary, because religion is not a deep seated part of the culture

Let's step up a gear. You ready? K.. Would you say a parent/teaching establishment/tramp on the street has the right to force belief in a specific religion/deity on a child? Yes or no please.

(I know you Europeans seem to think that the United States is deeply religious, but stop listening to the speeches our president gives... he doesn't represent the real majority of us, especially on this issue. The United States is a secular country, we're all just greedy bastards who like to throw rhetoric around like monkey's tossing feces at one another).

I hate to sort of... interrupt that apparent hatred you have for the leader of your own country - why, it's the same in many countries, and no - I'm not a fan of Blair - but that is not where the statistics come from. Thinking religiosity statistics come from how Bush acts is a little naive. An interesting statement from religioustolerance.org

"More American adults consider religion much more important than do the citizens of all other industrialized states. "Americans’ views are closer to people in developing nations than to the publics of developed nations"

Hate to spill it to you, but this really isn't all Bush's fault, no matter how much you might dislike the guy. Now, if you still think it's all because of Bush speeches I would kindly ask that you back up those statements with some data.

The monkey bit was probably spot on.

Yes. I would consider it wrong if my child was "forced" to believe anything at all.

Finally. Thank you.

Just to recap quickly for the sake of the simple..

Original question: "what's wrong with fishermen gathering and talking about fishing?"

Me: "Nothing, as long as they don't force everyone else to fish. It is wrong for parents/teaching establishemnts to force belief in a specific belief/deity on a child."

You: "But.. but 1000 years ago, it's essential for survival, they'll have no friends......"

You slightly later on: "Yes. I would consider it wrong if my child was "forced" to believe anything at all."

Fucking hell... longest way to get to an agreement I've ever seen.

But I guess I'd have to ask what you mean by forced. Really, what do you mean?

Oh dear lord odin, (yes you MUST believe in odin), gimme a break. I'll be here another 20,000 words just trying to explain it to you - all the while you telling me I can't read and what not just to eventually say you'll ignore me while completely agreeing to my original statement.

However, I will answer your question given that I am not the ignoring type, (even though you weakly tried to mirror it back to me all the while ignoring my questions). Hell, I don't even have Happeh on ignore and he's the biggest, most idiotic pisspot I have ever met in my life. What is force?

I like the definition: "to compel, constrain, or oblige (oneself or someone) to do something"

To get a classroom full of children of all different cultures and backgrounds to stand up in assembly and thank a being, (that has absolutely nothing to promote it's existence), for existence - without the consent of the children involved is an act of forced indoctrination. Wouldn't you love to see the consequences of a child refusing?

For a parent to force their child to obey godly laws and customs without them even understanding those laws and customs - or their origin, is an act of forced indoctrination.

For your parent to force you to be a true scientologist because they are is forced indoctrination. You claim it essential, I disagree. You need to support your claims. Here is where you'll undoubtedly state you're going to ignore my diatribe and that scientology and christianity are incomparable. Again that is something you need to justify first.

If at this stage you are getting confused and somehow think the above are examples of "teaching", then we probably have more of an issue than I'd personally like to believe, (no you do not have to share that belief).

Take into account that we are also talking 2006 Uk, not 0006 Jerusalem.

It seems to me that you believe the only way a child could ever believe religious teachings is if it is stuffed down their throat

The only way? Absolutely not. The majority of religious people find belief after a tragic, life changing accident. We can argue, and perhaps should, that if a parent is that sure of their beliefs, there's never a need to force it - for surely the child will find out it is true eventually? However, to have a 3 year old boy wearing a skullcap and praying to almighty Yhwh when simply put he doesn't even understand what he's talking about or praying to is wrong. To have a young child dunked in water and told to eat some weird looking shit before she's old enough to recite her abc's is wrong. Surely it can wait? What's wrong with turning round to your 18 year old son and saying: "Hey, wanna get your head thrust in a bowl of water and eat a biscuit while some bald paedophile says you're now one of the good guys?"

Why is it "essential to survival" that we do that to a 6 month old? I know your arguments already.. It's different to alcohol because religious people kill each other and have been doing it for millennia. As such it's essential.

Really, that is not an argument. It's funny, but it aint an argument.

then I'd have to say it doesn't happen all that often.

Says the guy that thinks European knowledge of American religiosity is all Bush's fault and that alcohol and religion differ simply because alcohol doesn't kill as many people. Please, you're having a laugh.

You seem to have this very twisted preconceived notion about religious people, that they are ignorant, stupid, violent, intolerant apes that don't allow their children to think freely.

You know, it might seem quite bizarre but I didn't say anything about religious people. I said that parents/education establishments do not have the right to force specific belief upon children. Where did I say anyone was an ignorant, violent, intolerant ape? Let me guess.. More rhetoric, (aka arse gas).

---------

These three quotes ask essentially the same question.

Aye, but it was ignored so much I felt it best to ask it a few times.

Anyway, let's proceed..

If everyone around you engages in a religious behavior or shares a belief

Ok, they don't - but just for arguments sake let's say they do. By the way, are we talking any belief specifically or just any belief of millions that you'll find in a vastly multicultural country?

or indeed any behavior or belief that with which the population identifies culturally

Okey doke. What would that be in England then? Clearly football considering 33% state religiosity while some 60%+ state a love for football. If I may jump the gun.. We must force football on our children or they'll have no friends? I'll get right on it.

and that behavior or belief is not shared by you, that alienates you from that culture and that society.

I disagree. Admittedly I don't say much when the friends start talking about West Ham, the premiership or team bribes, but "alienated"? I don't think so. Of course the the little religious bodlings walk past with their heads to the floor - probably feeling alienated and wondering why they can't be part of the "norm", which unfortunately is all because their father forced them into the life they lead - from how their penis would look, *snip*, to what clothes they'd wear and what space fairy they'd bow down to. In the meantime I sit there questioning things. The friends talk football so I watch a game, read the paper - whatever. I'm sorry, it just doesn't float my boat. A bunch of sweaty men running round kicking a pigs testicle? I don't see the value of it. I read the koran, the new testament, the enuma elish - all bollocks. Certainly interesting as far as history is concerned, but reality? Please, it's simple foolishness. These things I have sat down and decided. My parents never told me what I would believe. They never forced me into worship of something I did not understand. No sir, free as a bird I questioned and came up with my own answers, (be they true or not. Of course some would say that whats true doesn't matter. "Forget if it's true or not, who gives a shit". I personally find that repulsive and weak).

And being that finding true answers is what drives humanity, I find it just as sickening that someone will never even question it because they spent their early years being force fed what's true or not by someone that does not have the right to decide. It's no surprise the arguments to my statement comes from the man that says "forget what's true or not". It's only truth, since when did that count for anything?

Poor little kids, stumbling down the road professing something as truth that they acquired before they were even old enough to be able to spell 'truth - all because their parents had decided it was true, truth be damned. As I keep saying, I suppose they're just lucky their parents didn't believe in leprechauns. But it's essential for survival I hear you mutter.

not just a religious belief, but anything important to that particular society's worldview -- is not impressed upon the child at an early age, it will lessen the likelihood that he will be able to get along with his peers, understand the society he's living in, and essentially be able to eventually function in the real world.

Justify the forcing of any belief onto a child and how it will prevent not having friends and eventual suicide. Admittedly you might live in the Congo, I just don't know, but here in the UK our kids can function without forced indoctrination. My daughter, young as she is, (mildly), understands the tenets of islam, hinduism, judaism and christianity. She hasn't chosen which, if any, of those she subscribes to or believes in - She probably will eventually, but she functions just fine. She has friends, is not alienated, has not jumped off a roof and yes - survives. Justify your statements. My daughter must be a real anomaly to you two.

This points to the very reason why there is culture: It facilitates the cohesion of a group, thereby providing an advantage for survival. Inasmuch as religion is collectively considered to be a part of culture identity (and it undeniably is in most times and places in humanity) it shares in this advantageousness. An individual in a group who shares in its cultural identity (and therefore religion in most cases) will be at an advantage, and contrapositively, one who does not will be at a disadvantage. It is no mistake that the old idiom, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," survives to this day.

Having progressed far beyond the days of hunter gatherer type tribes with long bushy tails and rudimentary tools, I would still question the right of a parent/educational establishment to force a belief into a child. There is a mighty difference between "when in Rome" and "you must go to Rome" - which is essentially where this debate resides. Let me know when you understand that concept. I'll repeat it:

"when in Rome", vs "you must go to Rome".

I've seen the same question thrice; this is my last attempt to answer it. If the question must be asked a fourth time, we'll have to chalk it up to an ultimate failure in communication, or perhaps the lack of a willingness to understand.

The amusing thing is that not one of those questions was actually answered, even though you went so far as to use the word "succinctly" at the beginning of your post.

You keep saying you'll be alienated, but can't substantiate it. You keep saying it is essential for survival but can't substantiate it. You keep pretending that we all live in a society where there is but one belief when you know that's utter lunacy. Unfortunately through all of that and you cannot justify why it is 'essential' to force belief in a specific deity to a child.

Save a fourth answer, I'll drag this down to basics..

Let's say I am a teacher, and a very devout scientologist. I have now decided, (because we're all in Rome/it's essential to survival/the kids need friends), that my entire class of 5 year olds must all be scientologists. Am I right to force them into it? (yes or no only thank you).

Last edited:
Godless said:
Litghtee not sure? Man you need reading comprehesion skills. I'm not advocating of diminishing an authorative figure, only and only in the case, were a victim is abused! Damn dood get it straight!. We are talking about abuse here riiiiighhht? If you are in a cituation where an authorative figure is abusing you, however slight that may be, hurting your ego, or a child's behind that you know of, would you let the abuse continue?, or call the law's authoraty to put the pervert in jail?

so how many parents have abused their children? - Does that mean we should abolish parenthood?

How many politicians have abused the citizens? Does that mean we should abolish political leadership?

How many people have been abused in the pursuit of things like freedom/justice/love etc etc ? Does that mean we should abolish such things also?

KennyJC said:
Adding people to ignore is the get-out clause for the theist. I've seen many atheists be downright rude to theists who are known for putting people on ignore, yet in these occassions they don't put them on ignore, because they have an easy comeback to those who are blatantly rude. However, when the atheist has a valid point which the theist has no answer, they will often seek out any sarcasm as an excuse to ignore them. It's just a way to save face going by the way they continually boast about putting certain people on ignore as it is a way to instantly dismiss everything xxx person has said.

For example in a typical God-hates-gays thread, I was put on ignore for suggesting that God hates left handed people too. It's just interesting that in the religion forum, t'is the theists who typically put the atheists on ignore, and not the other way around. I think this is a clear demonstration of how frustrating it can be arguing a cause that there is no evidence for.

Don't know why others put people on ignore lists but for me its because a person cannot hold a civilised discussion - as for remarkable atheistic arguments - frankly I am yet to hear one

as for remarkable atheistic arguments - frankly I am yet to hear one

I'm sure you know this is not true - You never have any answers for anything despite your apparent confidence in the existence God and other attributes that go along with it.

KennyJC

I'm sure you know this is not true
Nope - or at least if its true you are not offering anything - rather than going on with your dogmatic hype how it is true why don't you just give an example of how it is true

- You never have any answers for anything despite your apparent confidence in the existence God and other attributes that go along with it.
just like there are no answers for a high school drop out regarding the electron

Last edited:
lightgigantic said:
just like there are no answers for a high school drop out regarding the electron
Hey, hey... we've already established that baumgarten is a High School dropout, and he knows all about electrons...

Jaster Mereel said:
Hey, hey... we've already established that baumgarten is a High School dropout, and he knows all about electrons...
sorry - this is a running metaphor - if you take a hypothetical high school drop out (not necesarily anyone in particular) who is adverse to physicists ("eggheads") and the books they advocate ("full of crap") there is no question of accepting electrons in principle due to an attitude problem of the beforementioned drop out - its an analogy for the atheist who insists that there is no evidence for god while maintaining that scripture is an imagination and perfected spiritual persons are full of crap etc etc

“ And to light, not that he/she/it can see this: No. You put me on ignore because I asked you a question you could not answer. ”

actually it was because Snakelord insisted that there was no difference between theistic practioner and someone performing oral sex on children - once again - hardly a civilised proposal for intelligent discussion .......
:rolleyes:

lightgigantic said:
sorry - this is a running metaphor - if you take a hypothetical high school drop out (not necesarily anyone in particular) who is adverse to physicists ("eggheads") and the books they advocate ("full of crap") there is no question of accepting electrons in principle due to an attitude problem of the beforementioned drop out - its an analogy for the atheist who insists that there is no evidence for god while maintaining that scripture is an imagination and perfected spiritual persons are full of crap etc etc

And you have been told 1,000 times that it's a piss poor analogy. Study of science will show you plenty of evidence for the existence of an electron. It's merits are drawn up from physical reality, experiment and measurement.

Religious study however, does not result in any verifiable evidence or information to suggest the existence of God. Why else would we have scholars/professors in theology who don't neccessarily believe in God? Because it's based on subjective emotional 'experience'. Expertise in religion is different to that of actual belief in it's myths.

KennyJC

And you have been told 1,000 times that it's a piss poor analogy. Study of science will show you plenty of evidence for the existence of an electron. It's merits are drawn up from physical reality, experiment and measurement.
plenty of evidence there in theism too - actually the analogy draws a parrallel between the highschool drop out and the atheist - ATTITUDE

Religious study however, does not result in any verifiable evidence or information to suggest the existence of God.
There are literally miles of literature that suggests otherwise - let me guess they are all eggheads/nutcases huh?

Why else would we have scholars/professors in theology who don't neccessarily believe in God?
Obviously they are paid by someone who is essentially foolish

Because it's based on subjective emotional 'experience'. Expertise in religion is different to that of actual belief in it's myths.
You are right - there is a distinction between a practioner and a scholar - the difference is notable even in fields of mundane knowledge

actually it was because Snakelord insisted that there was no difference between theistic practioner and someone performing oral sex on children - once again - hardly a civilised proposal for intelligent discussion .......

He did? It's unlikely.

lightgigantic said:
plenty of evidence there in theism too

The Nobel Prize is waiting for you...

- actually the analogy draws a parrallel between the highschool drop out and the atheist - ATTITUDE

Even if it does, it can be applied to everything you yourself don't believe in - which is why evidence and scientific enquiry is important.

There are literally miles of literature that suggests otherwise - let me guess they are all eggheads/nutcases huh?

Oh, wow... just because there is a lot of writing on the subject means we should all of a sudden believe it to be true without question? There are 'literally miles' of literature for all kinds of superstitions LG. Your arguments are growing increasingly weaker as you desperately try to give justify your superstition.

Obviously they are paid by someone who is essentially foolish

They get paid because they are experts in religious matters. Again, you have no point.

No, but you did compare belief in God with alcoholism. Again, hardly a basis for reasonable discussion.

I disagree completely on two levels:

1) I did not compare "god with alcoholism", but compared the similarity between the action of forcing either on to young children, (on the basis that you think what you believe/do is justified simply because you believe it is). It's called an analogy and is entirely reasonable.

2) Once a person uses an analogy or makes comparisons it does not make a discussion unreasonable. Is there something in the paperwork that says one must not mention alcoholics for a discussion to remain reasonable?

It's quite possible that both you and LG are making the same rather naive mistake.

P.S You owe me $50

"You would heh? Ok here is your big chance... Justify that statement. $50 says you don't."

Last edited:
Back