Best Intentions - Dynamics of Spiritual Abuse

How does anyone force anyone to do such things? I don't understand? Are you saying or implying that the churches forced people to become members, then force them to value the church ideals? If so, how? And just what church(es) does that in the free world??

Firstly please note that I didn't use the word 'church' once. A church is largely a gathering place for people that have already been indoctrinated. I'm talking parents, lousy education systems.

How many young children are forced to go to church/synagogue etc?

One of my nieces aunts has been doing it for years with my niece. Dragging her to church to eat weird food and get involved in strange ritualistic crap and the girl was only 4 years old..

"This is what you are, this is what you will believe"

At my daughters school, (which isn't a religious school), they got all the kids to stand up in assembly and say "dear god, thank you for looking after us". They consider that as curriculum and yet they didn't have the decency to ask the kids if they believed such things. Nope, they just forced it down their mouths without the right to do so.

The church doesn't do that! I've never heard of a church that forced it's members to join, then forced them to remain members .....do you? If so, which ones?

Firstly please note that I didn't use the word church once. I was by and large referring to parents and lousy education systems.

And as to the parents, don't they "force" their children to do lots of things? Or would you have the children collected at birht and raised in accordance with YOUR beliefs and values? Please explain your basic position in this matter.

Instructing your child not to stick his fingers in the plug socket, or forcing him to go to school to get an education is nothing like forcing your child to believe in leprechauns simply because you do.

Would you have the children locked away in isolation until they were old enough to make up their own minds about what they wanted?

Locked away? Where does that come from?

I don't get your hostility towards the churches

Me neither considering I didn't use the word church once. Wakey wakey.

but even moreso, I don't get your ideals on the matter of child-rearing.

You don't "get my ideals"? What are you telling me, you think parents do have the right to decide what their children will or will not believe in?

Different people. Like you. You don't really belong with the Alans. You don't understand them, they don't understand you, and neither of you like the other. Your parents were successful; you are not an Alan, or a Betty, or a Charlie, or a Daniel. You are a child without a country. And it makes you feel very alone in the world. That all-important sense of belonging felt by your peers is absent in you. You feel unwanted by the world. You respond by rejecting it in kind. You don't trust anyone. Your life is miserable.

So, were your parents right?

So a parent should force belief on their children just so they get along and agree with other people of the same belief, (while invariably then, given your rather silly analogy, not getting along with everyone of a different tribe - and thus still having a miserable life apparently)?

You actually made me laugh. Your entire analogy boils down to forcing a child to believe in what you do otherwise he'll have no friends. It's pure and utter dog testicle.

SnakeLord said:
So a parent should force belief on their children just so they get along and agree with other people of the same belief, (while invariably then, given your rather silly analogy, not getting along with everyone of a different tribe - and thus still having a miserable life apparently)?
You're going to force some kind of belief anyway. In this example case, the belief that you have no place in the world was effectively forced on you. Better to allow your child to function in society than to alienate him from the social group. That was a matter of survival in the past; today it is a matter of mental health.

SnakeLord said:
You actually made me laugh. Your entire analogy boils down to forcing a child to believe in what you do otherwise he'll have no friends. It's pure and utter dog testicle.
You take the prospect of loneliness very lightly. Having no friends as a child can cause serious, lifelong problems. Come adolescence, we begin to think critically about our own beliefs anyway as we try to establish our identities as individuals. However, the depression caused by the feeling of not belonging anywhere can place a child in a state of arrested development, so that he never reaches this stage.

lightgigantic said:
Unfortunately I don't think the people here will be able to appreciate what you have written - I can gather already that the moment they saw the title they thought they already worked it out without bothering to read the thread
I am beginning to think you're right.

baumgarten said:
Should we instead suppress the irrational nature of the human psyche? We have seen what kind of fanaticism that causes.

We have slowly been supressing the superstitious irrational side of our psyche for hundreds of years. Can you imagine what we would be like if not for the age of science and reason? By the way, what kind of fanaticism are you referring to? Fascist dictatorships? What does this have to do with a democratic secular society like the one seen in western Europe, Austrailia or Japan?

The truth is, you can only pretend to be governed purely by reason. It's actually bullshit. You're an animal. You're an irrational, emotional, instinctual, intuitive creature. You can ignore this part of you, but you will simply lose consciousness of it, and it will continue to influence your behavior without your being aware of it. The belief that you aren't superstitious or unreasonable is as much a fantasy as some delusion of a god. Really, the only thing that makes your bullshit favorable to other religious bullshit is that it's yours. As long as you don't make an effort to understand the latter, though, you can't be expected to tolerate it. Your opinion of other cultures is actually a prime example of this so-called spiritual abuse.

Saying religion and secularism are both bullshit in equal measures is basically a non-answer. Organised religion is clearly false and a superstition. Bearing this in mind, do you think it's right for state schools to force children into going to church, confessing sins to priests, praising deities in song, forcing them to read the bible, tell them stories of Adam and Eve and Noah's ark as though historic fact... especially since most will grow up with secular principles and some to resent religion as it was forced on them at an assuming age? If someone who had a secular education feels obliged to be religious, guess what... They are free to do so! They were not free to do so when it was forced on them however.

I am beginning to think you're right.

That would be a first...

Last edited:
We have slowly been supressing the superstitious irrational side of our psyche for hundreds of years. Can you imagine what we would be like if not for the age of science and reason? By the way, what kind of fanaticism are you referring to? Fascist dictatorships? What does this have to do with a democratic secular society like the one seen in western Europe, Austrailia or Japan?
People have always studied human behavior, but as science and reason have prevailed, our awareness of our own irrationality has actually increased. Psychologists take our unconscious and irrational processes into account when they study the human mind rather than ignore them.

Saying religion and secularism are both bullshit in equal measures is basically a non-answer. Organised religion is clearly false and a superstition. Bearing this in mind, do you think it's right for state schools to force children into going to church, confessing sins to priests, praising deities in song, forcing them to read the bible, tell them stories of Adam and Eve and Noah's ark as though historic fact... especially since most will grow up with secular principles and some to resent religion as it was forced on them at an assuming age? If someone who had a secular education feels obliged to be religious, guess what... They are free to do so! They were not free to do so when it was forced on them however.
I believe in the concept of a secular government and freedom of religion. I don't think that, in today's world, where societies are so diverse, you can successfully enforce a state religion. I additionally think it is ethically better to allow one to freely express his thoughts about religion or anything else. I have not been thinking of those political issues, though.

By fanaticism, I mean a kind of self-reassuring philosophical hubris. If you hold that your beliefs prevent you from drawing superstitions, you won't be aware of it when you do. If you suppress your irrational processes, then you'll be too busy ignoring them to learn from them -- or, more importantly, to recognize their irrationality when they motivate you to do something unreasonable. If you feel you have removed yourself from these things, then you won't take into account their effects on your thought processes, and you will feel undeniably justified in everything you do, even if retrospect reveals an action to be ridiculous to the extreme. This is the same general mindset that, employed collectively, gives such a strong feeling of empowerment and can enable normal human beings to commit horrible atrocities. Think of the rabid fervor that swept through Nazi Germany, and the similar phenomena in the Bible Belt and the Middle East today.

Even if we forget what we are, I don't think today's prevalent secular philosophies could ever lead to something like the Holocaust or the Salem witch trials. But it is still unhealthy, and it does foster a nasty tendency not only to be unable to understand people who think differently, but to not want to anyway. When one feels one is right and everyone else is wrong, it's too easy to villify everyone else.

In this example case, the belief that you have no place in the world was effectively forced on you.

Kindly show me how not being forced to believe in a specific being results in belief that "you have no place in the world"?

Better to allow your child to function in society than to alienate him from the social group.

How does not forcing your child into belief of a specific deity before he's old enough to even understand the word deity mean he's not being allowed to function in society or that he's being alienated?

You take the prospect of loneliness very lightly. Having no friends as a child can cause serious, lifelong problems.

Being a doctor I know of many many problems that can stem from not having friends. Now you need to show me how not forcing belief in a god down your childs throat ends up with that child having no friends. Please, I await with bated breath.

Come adolescence, we begin to think critically about our own beliefs anyway as we try to establish our identities as individuals. However, the depression caused by the feeling of not belonging anywhere can place a child in a state of arrested development, so that he never reaches this stage.

You're talking gibberish.

How does not forcing belief down a child's throat result in depression, arrested development, no friends or any of the other pile of horse manure you've come out with?

SnakeLord said:
Kindly show me how not being forced to believe in a specific being results in belief that "you have no place in the world"?

How does not forcing your child into belief of a specific deity before he's old enough to even understand the word deity mean he's not being allowed to function in society or that he's being alienated?

Being a doctor I know of many many problems that can stem from not having friends. Now you need to show me how not forcing belief in a god down your childs throat ends up with that child having no friends. Please, I await with bated breath.

You're talking gibberish.

How does not forcing belief down a child's throat result in depression, arrested development, no friends or any of the other pile of horse manure you've come out with?

He's talking about human societies in general. If you live in a small town in the American "bible belt", and everyone in your town goes to Church every Sunday, sings hymns to Jesus, talks about Jesus all the time, plays on the sports team funded by the church, etc... and you don't believe in Jesus, you don't believe in God, and you are open about it, do you honestly think you're going to have any friends as a child?

SnakeLord: Gee, I don't detect any sarcasm in that post at all. Why should I even try to better explain myself when all I'll get back is an attitude? You don't even appear to be attempting to understand me.

Religion is a binding force, powerful and consolidating. It is an idea, or a collection of thoughts, that can be used to encourage better behavior within a community. There is no doubt that it also can be abused and its true value subverted by despotic authoritarians. I would say that, rather than religion, assumed authority should always be suspect. It doesn't matter which collection of ideas they are preaching or from which pulpit they speak.

As for the influence of religion within OUR society, its voice is mute when measured against the constant stream of ideas that are pumped through the television within your home. That box has more influence on Western Thought than any religion, and I suspect that much of what we read here regarding the abuse of religious intolerance and impropriety is mostly regurgitation from what has been consumed during many hours of worship.

Someone mentioned here that children are forced into religious doctrine at a very young age. I would point to a more dangerous cult that is more insidious than any religion. Try discarding your television.

Bowser said:
Religion is a binding force, powerful and consolidating. It is an idea, or a collection of thoughts, that can be used to encourage better behavior within a community. There is no doubt that it also can be abused and its true value subverted by despotic authoritarians. I would say that, rather than religion, assumed authority should always be suspect. It doesn't matter which collection of ideas they are preaching or from which pulpit they speak.

As for the influence of religion within OUR society, its voice is mute when measured against the constant stream of ideas that are pumped through the television within your home. That box has more influence on Western Thought than any religion, and I suspect that much of what we read here regarding the abuse of religious intolerance and impropriety is mostly regurgitation from what has been consumed during many hours of worship.

Someone mentioned here that children are forced into religious doctrine at a very young age. I would point to a more dangerous cult that is more insidious than any religion. Try discarding your television.

Amen. Now I'm off to watch the box...

Godless said:
How desapointing indeed, and you were doing so good! You obviously didn't understand a thing I wrote!

I understood the artigle LG, don't act as if you are the only one who understand anything, obviously you don't! Authority is abused by jackass' who think they can manipulate other people, it just so happens, that those people easily manipulated by these assholes, are weak minded, easier to manipulate, alpha males exist wether they be theists or atheists, what the hell do you think that preacher abusing his authority is? He/she is the alpha ego, who knows he can abuse his/her authority!

The point is that even if you want to advocate that we should dimiinish all authority (which I am not even sure you are advocating - I am just assuming that because you are ofering nothing but the derision of authority) you can only do so by giving yourself an authority - inother words on what authority should we accept your authority?
:eek:

baumgarten said:
SnakeLord: Gee, I don't detect any sarcasm in that post at all. Why should I even try to better explain myself when all I'll get back is an attitude? You don't even appear to be attempting to understand me.

Thats why I put him on my Ignore List too
;)

The only diference is that it only took you a few posts to reach such a conclusion

Last edited:
Bowser said:

Therefore there is the notion that the rituals and paraphernalia or worship automatically manifest when people or groups of people perceive something greater than oneself - its not uncommon for sociologists to define our attitude to popular culture in a religious fashion - which has in turn led to the belief you advocate - that actual religion is nothing more than a phenomena of popular culture - there is of course the counter argument that actual religion is something more than the carbon copy we experience as popular culture, technology etc

He's talking about human societies in general. If you live in a small town in the American "bible belt", and everyone in your town goes to Church every Sunday, sings hymns to Jesus, talks about Jesus all the time, plays on the sports team funded by the church, etc... and you don't believe in Jesus, you don't believe in God, and you are open about it, do you honestly think you're going to have any friends as a child?

How is some small twilight zone town out in the middle of freaksville "human society in general"? What you're going to end up with in a general society where there is a vast mix of differing beliefs etc is the child forced with the belief being lonely/outcast etc.

The side effect of belief in a god/s is that everyone who thinks differently is wrong - which causes division. It's like the jewish people in Golders Green.. all the kids walking round with their skullcaps - almost being spat upon by everyone else - and only because their parents forced belief in a specific deity and specific religious customs, (god for some reason doesn't want to look at the top of their heads), before they were old enough to understand or question any of it.

SnakeLord: Gee, I don't detect any sarcasm in that post at all

Good, because there wasn't any.

Why should I even try to better explain myself when all I'll get back is an attitude?

Weak excuse. I called you on your rather silly statements and so you play the defensive, blame me and do a runner. Typical.

You told me that children that don't have religion forced upon them end up having no friends. I've called you on it. Take responsibility for your own statements.

Although it probably differs from place to place, here we have access to what.. 1000 tv channels. You can find a channel for all different beliefs, ideals, hobbies, etc etc etc without any single one of them being forced upon you. Your comparison doesn't work. If perhaps your parents sat you down and forced you to watch one channel and one channel only - every other channel being evil and wrong, then I would agree with you completely. Given the "choice" you have with concerns to TV, it is absolutely nothing like the "choice" that children who have a specific god forced upon them don't have.

And to light, not that he/she/it can see this: No. You put me on ignore because I asked you a question you could not answer.

And to light, not that he/she/it can see this: No. You put me on ignore because I asked you a question you could not answer.

Adding people to ignore is the get-out clause for the theist. I've seen many atheists be downright rude to theists who are known for putting people on ignore, yet in these occassions they don't put them on ignore, because they have an easy comeback to those who are blatantly rude. However, when the atheist has a valid point which the theist has no answer, they will often seek out any sarcasm as an excuse to ignore them. It's just a way to save face going by the way they continually boast about putting certain people on ignore as it is a way to instantly dismiss everything xxx person has said.

For example in a typical God-hates-gays thread, I was put on ignore for suggesting that God hates left handed people too. It's just interesting that in the religion forum, t'is the theists who typically put the atheists on ignore, and not the other way around. I think this is a clear demonstration of how frustrating it can be arguing a cause that there is no evidence for.

The point is that even if you want to advocate that we should dimiinish all authority (which I am not even sure you are advocating - I am just assuming that because you are ofering nothing but the derision of authority)

Litghtee not sure? Man you need reading comprehesion skills. I'm not advocating of diminishing an authorative figure, only and only in the case, were a victim is abused! Damn dood get it straight!. We are talking about abuse here riiiiighhht? If you are in a cituation where an authorative figure is abusing you, however slight that may be, hurting your ego, or a child's behind that you know of, would you let the abuse continue?, or call the law's authoraty to put the pervert in jail?

SnakeLord said:
How is some small twilight zone town out in the middle of freaksville "human society in general"? What you're going to end up with in a general society where there is a vast mix of differing beliefs etc is the child forced with the belief being lonely/outcast etc.
Haven't you ever read a history book? Until a little while ago, this type of community was human society in general. Melting pots are not the norm. A huge mixture of cultures and ideas is not the norm. This idea that you have that a huge, secular, multicultural society is an example of a normal human community shows your utter lack of a broader historical perspective.

The side effect of belief in a god/s is that everyone who thinks differently is wrong - which causes division. It's like the jewish people in Golders Green.. all the kids walking round with their skullcaps - almost being spat upon by everyone else - and only because their parents forced belief in a specific deity and specific religious customs, (god for some reason doesn't want to look at the top of their heads), before they were old enough to understand or question any of it.
Once again, you're talking about a huge, multicultural society filled with people's of different faiths and customs. One again, you have to realize that this is not the normal way for human communities to exist. For the vast majority of human history, the type of community I describe in my previous post was just about the only kind of community to live in, with a few notable exceptions.

Weak excuse. I called you on your rather silly statements and so you play the defensive, blame me and do a runner. Typical.
Actually, his statements weren't typical at all. You don't seem to be trying to understand what he's saying in his analysis, which is quite well thought out and very articulate. I don't even think you've been reading it.

You told me that children that don't have religion forced upon them end up having no friends. I've called you on it. Take responsibility for your own statements.
No, he's telling you that children who grow up without any kind of cultural knowledge end up having no friends, which includes religion, since it's such a huge part of most people's lives. As I said when describing the community above, if you're the only one in the village that doesn't believe in God, and who doesn't understand the appropriate rituals, then you're almost definitely going to have few friends. If you've ever read anything about human society throughout history, you'd know that the description I gave is a fairly accurate depiction of life throughout most of the world throughout most time periods.

We're not talking about the right or wrong of social indoctrination, we're only saying that, not only is it normal, but necessary for the individual, in most communities, to survive. Baumgarten has elegantly described the consequences of a lack of social indoctrination, which applies to all societies because human beings think of themselves in terms of the communities they are a part of. What he is saying is that, if you remove one of the most important aspects of social identity from the individual, in most communities it will make them an outcast. Are you disputing this claim as a scientist, or are you (more likely) reacting emotionally to what you see as an endorsement of religious induction which you (as an obviously secular humanistic atheist) find repulsive, even though such an outlook completely ignores the fact that society's smooth functioning is entirely dependant on the level of indoctrination of it's members?

Haven't you ever read a history book?

Well that's indeed a well thought out and mature start to a debate. I thank you for it. To answer your question - yes, I have read many history books but given that my statements, and indeed the statements I responded to originally, had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with history, I must say I fail to see the value of the question.

Still, let's look at the rest of your post and see what we can come up with..

A huge mixture of cultures and ideas is not the norm

I disagree.

The vastness of differing beliefs in the UK is a great example - some 33% religiosity comprising of jews, christians, (admittedly the major religion - but also of countless differing denominations), muslims, atheists, hinduism, sikhism, buddhism and hell, even jedi.

Look at the majority of first world nations and you'll find it's pretty similar. Ok, if we travel to the poorer, less educated nations then fine - children that are not indocrtinated young might find they "have no friends", or perhaps even get killed - and I know the same has been true for the majority of "history", but I haven't been talking about some poor, deeply religious nation or some time back when dinosaurs roamed.

In the 33% religious UK it is simply wrong to force feed a specific religious belief to children barely old enough to walk. In any country it is also wrong - but I do understand that some countries are stuck in that position.

History, no friends and whatever else you can think of do not in any way change that statement.

Now, I asked and I still await justification how not force feeding a child a specific religious belief means the child will have no friends, have mental problems and be an outcast. You seem quite hot on what he said so why don't you answer?

Now, you might rebutt with "but the UK is not the 'norm'", but you would be wrong. If you like we can go through the figures, but you will find that a country having a huge mix of cultures and ideas is the norm, (for first world countries).

Irregardless to all of this, I still consider it wrong for a child, (or anyone else for that matter), to be force fed a specific belief. Tell me young Jaster, do you disagree with that statement? Do you, master of history books, consider it right to force feed a specific deity belief to a child, (or anyone else)?

To go back a bit because you might not have read it:

"If a bunch of fishermen gather to talk about fishing, is that wrong?"

That was the question, (among others of similar nature). My answer was that there's nothing wrong with fisherman gathering to talk about fishing as long as they do not force everyone else to fish.

I then got told, (to stick to analogy), that if fishermen don't force kids to fish then those kids will have no friends and end up suicidal. This, to the poster, seemed perfectly justifiable reason, (although the reason has little value in this part of the world), to consider it warranted, and indeed even essential, for parents to force feed specific deity belief to their children.

If you agree with that just say so, but please do not think for one second that asking me whether I've read a book or not is an argument to anything. Of course we could just say "fuck it" and question each others level of education if you'd really like?

"I bet you've never done a chemistry o level"

"yeah well my encyclopedia's bigger than yours"

Could be an interesting argument, no really.

(now you should be detecting sarcasm).

This idea that you have that a huge, secular, multicultural society is an example of a normal human community shows your utter lack of a broader historical perspective.

So much for that idea, seems you can't help yourself. When in doubt in a debate question the other persons education and it somehow magically seems to add weight to what would technically be a quite flimsy argument. Now we can happily debate Genghis Khan, Jefferson, Gandhi or anyone else for as long as you like, but if you're supporting the argument that, (here and now in the UK), a child needs to be force indoctrinated or he wont have any friends then you might as well pull up a seat because you're going to be here a long time. My understanding, or lack thereof, of broader historical perspectives are completely and utterly irrelevant to my statement and what was returned to me. Understand?

Once again, you're talking about a huge, multicultural society filled with people's of different faiths and customs. One again, you have to realize that this is not the normal way for human communities to exist.

I take it you have never been to Europe. For one second try and imagine what the UK is like. I can see it's clearly a hardship for you, but let me just tell you - even though it will sound almost impossible, almost supernatural and fantastical, but we are a multi cultural nation. There are so many differing faiths and cultures here that every day is a new experience. In my very own street I have christians, atheists, jews, buddhists, and muslims - all in one road. Can you even begin to imagine such a thing? It's not normal I tell you, no siree. Why, if it wasn't 2006 I'd pull out that big wooden cross and crucify the fuckers.

But hey, at least you're waking up to what I've been saying. Yes, you're right..

"Once again, you're talking about a huge, multicultural society filled with people's of different faiths and customs"

Yes, I am. Congratulations. Blue Peter badge is in the post.

Actually, his statements weren't typical at all. You don't seem to be trying to understand what he's saying in his analysis, which is quite well thought out and very articulate. I don't even think you've been reading it.

Indeed it was his lack of statement that was typical. I called him on a claim he made, (kids must be indoctrinated or they have no friends). I'm calling you on the very same thing.

Just for your benefit here are the questions again:

"Kindly show me how not being forced to believe in a specific being results in belief that "you have no place in the world"?"

"How does not forcing your child into belief of a specific deity before he's old enough to even understand the word deity mean he's not being allowed to function in society or that he's being alienated?"

"Now you need to show me how not forcing belief in a god down your childs throat ends up with that child having no friends. Please, I await with bated breath."

No, I'm not talking 2000 years ago or some country that is not multicultural.

So, adding me to ignore or what? They're really rude questions, aren't they?

he's telling you that children who grow up without any kind of cultural knowledge end up having no friends, which includes religion, since it's such a huge part of most people's lives.

Ok, right.. Perhaps I should just point out that education and force feeding specific belief are two entirely different things.

Of course, even if we ignore all of that, your friend is still wrong. Let it be stated that your friend, (and the conversation), was not about "any kind" of cultural knowledge, but of force feeding specific religious belief. My wifes sister doesn't know anything of religion, in fact she doesn't know anything of anything. The girl's a bit.. 'slow'. The only thing she actually knows is Arsenal football team and yes - she has friends regardless to her lack of belief in a specific deity or knowledge/belief in a specific religion.

My statement - that I for some reason need to keep repeating, was that it is wrong for a parent/educational system to force feed belief in a specific deity/ in a god, or sheesh, even in a specific football team. Imagine the uproar if every school in London had it as part of their curriculum to force feed worship for Chelsea football club to any child under 3 that crossed their path. While I understand parents/educational systems will do it, I disagree with their right to do so. Ancient history be damned. My argument is that a child should be taught - but left alone to decide what is or isn't right, (to them).

My sister's daughter is a religious whack job, and she's barely 5 years old. It's not because she ever decided, or had a choice, what she would believe - but that it was forced upon her by bad parents. She is now what she is not because she gave it even 3 seconds thought - but because someone told her what she would be, end of story. I'm quite certain she would have friends one way or the other.

If you've ever read anything about human society throughout history, you'd know that the description I gave is a fairly accurate depiction of life throughout most of the world throughout most time periods.

There we go once again with your rather amusing superiority nonsense. Still, my lack of reading books without pop up pictures aside, you really need to visit the UK. Btw, that's UK 2006 just incase you were unsure.

We're not talking about the right or wrong of social indoctrination

We're not? I was, clearly you didn't pick up on that but don't include me in your statement. Thanks.

we're only saying that, not only is it normal, but necessary for the individual, in most communities, to survive.

Fine, show me how a child not force indoctrinated into belief of a specific deity will not survive.

Hello?

Baumgarten has elegantly described the consequences of a lack of social indoctrination

Such a shame though, given all that eloquence and elegant decription that the minute I questioned him on it he ran for the hills. Your turn, oh master of books.

Are you disputing this claim as a scientist, or are you (more likely) reacting emotionally to what you see as an endorsement of religious induction which you (as an obviously secular humanistic atheist) find repulsive

I'm sorry, if you want to use the word 'science', kindly back up the statements that not being forced into a specific belief makes you have no friends and have mental problems.

Being a human, emotions are a given. Your sophisticated (more likely) comment was not needed. Did you perhaps think I was a Borg? However, if you can show how, (in the UK 2006), forced child indoctrination is essential for a child to have friends or, as you claimed, "survive", then please do. No, let's forget 1000 years ago and history books for now. Thank you very much but they're not needed here.

Oh and please, can you stop asking me if I've ever read any books. It's really quite pathetic.

SnakeLord said:
Well that's indeed a well thought out and mature start to a debate. I thank you for it. To answer your question - yes, I have read many history books but given that my statements, and indeed the statements I responded to originally, had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with history, I must say I fail to see the value of the question.
Rhetorical questions escape you, it seems. You seem to be stuck on this throughout your post. I was actually saying it with the hope that you had read history extensively, so that you could better understand my position. I suppose this was entirely lost upon you.

I disagree. The vastness of differing beliefs in the UK is a great example - some 33% religiosity comprising of jews, christians, (admittedly the major religion - but also of countless differing denominations), muslims, atheists, hinduism, sikhism, buddhism and hell, even jedi. Look at the majority of first world nations and you'll find it's pretty similar. Ok, if we travel to the poorer, less educated nations then fine - children that are not indocrtinated young might find they "have no friends", or perhaps even get killed - and I know the same has been true for the majority of "history", but I haven't been talking about some poor, deeply religious nation or some time back when dinosaurs roamed. In the 33% religious UK it is simply wrong to force feed a specific religious belief to children barely old enough to walk. In any country it is also wrong - but I do understand that some countries are stuck in that position. History, no friends and whatever else you can think of do not in any way change that statement.
Oh really? History is no standard by which to compare the fundamentals of human nature? I guess we should just ignore it, then. This is patently ridiculous. I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about all of human history. When you look at it, the vast majority of nations, tribes, villages, as well as any other kind of human community you could possibly imagine, have engaged in social indoctrination. Why? Because it's necessary. Society cannot function unless most of it's members think alike on at least a few levels. I was talking about the nature of humanity reaching back into the darkest depths of time. This is what we are arguing. It's human nature. It's not the actions of a few "evil" people attempting to control the minds of the sheeple around the world. In fact, it's not wrong at all. It's perfectly natural to do this, and the standard by which you are judging it to be evil is no more enlightened or thoughtful than the values of the people you condemn. Why? Because they are all human values. They come from people, and you're condemnation of those values, and of instilling them in young children, is no different or more noble than the condemnation of one group of people by another. Forget about the ultimate truth or falsity of the particular belief of a religion. It's completely irrelevant. You're arguing against religious indoctrination (or so it seems), not against indoctrination of a specific (as in, Christianity, for instance, or Islam) belief system.

Irregardless to all of this, I still consider it wrong for a child, (or anyone else for that matter), to be force fed a specific belief. Tell me young Jaster, do you disagree with that statement? Do you, master of history books, consider it right to force feed a specific deity belief to a child, (or anyone else)?
Honestly, I don't give a damn. What I'm saying is that neither of us made this into a moral issue, and you are forcing it into one. What we are both trying to say is that it's completely normal for social indoctrination to occur, regardless of the subject you are talking about, and that condemning it as wrong is a useless gesture. It's an intrinsic part of what it is to be human. All societies engage in indoctrination of specific belief/value systems, because it's the natural way for human beings to interract with the next generation. What are we to do? Teach children nothing at all? If we consider something to be enormously important to the child's life, then how can we not teach him/her about it? How is that wrong?

To go back a bit because you might not have read it:

"If a bunch of fishermen gather to talk about fishing, is that wrong?"

That was the question, (among others of similar nature). My answer was that there's nothing wrong with fisherman gathering to talk about fishing as long as they do not force everyone else to fish. I then got told, (to stick to analogy), that if fishermen don't force kids to fish then those kids will have no friends and end up suicidal. This, to the poster, seemed perfectly justifiable reason, (although the reason has little value in this part of the world), to consider it warranted, and indeed even essential, for parents to force feed specific deity belief to their children.
It is warranted, and in deeply religious societies it is equally essential. As I said before, if you absolutely believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that your particular religious belief is going to be the most important factor in your child's life, how can you not teach them about it? You see, the flaw in your reasoning here is very simple: You assign no intrinsic value to religious belief of any kind, and consider them simply flights of fanciful imagination (or so it seems). Most people do not feel as you do, and so they do not consider the instilling of (to you) valueless beliefs as immoral in the slightest. On the contrary, they consider it their moral imperative to teach their children about their God/gods, and would consider it the gravest negligence on their part if they did not.

Now we can happily debate Genghis Khan, Jefferson, Gandhi or anyone else for as long as you like, but if you're supporting the argument that, (here and now in the UK), a child needs to be force indoctrinated or he wont have any friends then you might as well pull up a seat because you're going to be here a long time. My understanding, or lack thereof, of broader historical perspectives are completely and utterly irrelevant to my statement and what was returned to me. Understand?
No. Historical perspective is absolutely essential in understanding why people do things. You are making a moral judgment of an activity that is rooted in the very seat of humanity's existence. You are looking at something which has been instilled in every culture around the world for thousands of generations and saying that it is "wrong", simply because you believe that it has no place in the modern world. You say this because you have a particular belief that these particular beliefs which you find disgusting are of little value, and so you can't possibly fathom how any sane, good person could possibly force feed these teachings into the minds of their children. Because you can't understand it, you judge it to be evil, and along with that you judge people who engage in this activity to be either insane, bad, or at best misguided.

Not once did I ever say that here and now it is right for people to do this. I have maintained that assigning a moral judgment to this activity is that which is false, and you continue to act as if I have said that it is right. I have made no moral judgment. I don't care at all, in fact, but you continue to insist that I am saying it is right for people to teach their children to believe in God.

I take it you have never been to Europe. For one second try and imagine what the UK is like. I can see it's clearly a hardship for you, but let me just tell you - even though it will sound almost impossible, almost supernatural and fantastical, but we are a multi cultural nation. There are so many differing faiths and cultures here that every day is a new experience. In my very own street I have christians, atheists, jews, buddhists, and muslims - all in one road. Can you even begin to imagine such a thing? It's not normal I tell you, no siree. Why, if it wasn't 2006 I'd pull out that big wooden cross and crucify the fuckers.

But hey, at least you're waking up to what I've been saying. Yes, you're right..

"Once again, you're talking about a huge, multicultural society filled with people's of different faiths and customs"

Yes, I am. Congratulations. Blue Peter badge is in the post.
Well, then you're talking about a much more narrow subject then either of us. What we are saying is that it is hardwired into people's behavior to indoctrinate their children into religious belief, and that your characterization of it as morally wrong is silly at best.

My statement - that I for some reason need to keep repeating, was that it is wrong for a parent/educational system to force feed belief in a specific deity/ in a god, or sheesh, even in a specific football team. Imagine the uproar if every school in London had it as part of their curriculum to force feed worship for Chelsea football club to any child under 3 that crossed their path. While I understand parents/educational systems will do it, I disagree with their right to do so. Ancient history be damned. My argument is that a child should be taught - but left alone to decide what is or isn't right, (to them).
And my statement, as I for some reason need to keep repeating, is that making moral judgments of a fundamental human activity, one that has always been essential to society's smooth functioning until recently, is a silly path to tread. Ancient history is the reason why people do this. It's been so much a part of culture for so many thousands and thousands of years that there is no other way that people know (without their own kind of indoctrination), and I would even contend that it's still essential. It's essential because pluralism and tolerance are good and all, but a reasonable level of indoctrination is indeed important to society. Imagine if there were no sense of patriotism within your nation. Where does that sense come from? Does it come naturally? No. It comes because parents, and public schooling, and the community at large has taught everyone to think like that. It's a part of the citizen's identity. It's who they are, for heaven's sake. The same goes for religious belief. It's a part of cultural identity. If you remove it, without replacing it with something else, you remove a large part of what makes a person a part of the community that they came from. That's what we were arguing. We weren't talking about the U.K. in 2006, we were talking about communities in general, throughout all of history. Religion is and always has been a fact of life. A binding force in the community, and so it has always been right to teach your children religious beliefs because it will make them a part of the community, which human beings need so desperately to survive. You think it's wrong because of modern secular thinking, and nothing more. There is no absolutism to this issue. It's purely relative. It depends on who you are, where you are, and you are trying to make it into a high-minded moral debate, in which you think you're right and everyone else is wrong because you've indoctrinated yourself into secular, modernist thinking. Whether or not it's right or wrong depends entirely upon time, place, and family, and you are denying that any such dependence exists.

We're not? I was, clearly you didn't pick up on that but don't include me in your statement. Thanks.
No. Neither Baumgarten nor myself was making a moral judgment of religious indoctrination. We were both saying that it was necessary in most societies throughout history (history, as in all time periods and places, thank you).

Back