Belief or disbelief: What are your reasons?

Still atheist. Still publishing The Militant Godless. Still mocking religion.

Your painting of atheists with one brush is the same as others' incorrect painting of theists with one brush. Why continue a concept you already know to be wrong from personal experience?

Your painting of atheists with one brush is the same as others' incorrect painting of theists with one brush. Why continue a concept you already know to be wrong from personal experience?

I'm just pointing out that atheism does not mean lack of religious extremism, in fact, it has been shown to be much worse.:shrug:

Atheism isn't inherently opposed to theism. The non-belief in God doesn't make me act in any particular way towards people that do.

I'm just pointing out that atheism does not mean lack of religious extremism, in fact, it has been shown to be much worse.:shrug:

Extremism, sure. Not sure if you could call it religious extremism though, but that's just semantics. Either way, spidergoat already agreed with your point in his earlier post. I don't think anyone reasonably intelligent would claim there are no atheist extremists. But that's different from blaming atrocities committed by atheists solely on the concept of atheism (what you're doing), which is more in line with the nowadays common BS of doing with same with Islam.

Do you have an exmaple?

Sure anyone who shows that they are religious in atheist prominent academia get off the tenure track. :p

Extremism, sure. Not sure if you could call it religious extremism though, but that's just semantics. Either way, spidergoat already agreed with your point in his earlier post. I don't think anyone reasonably intelligent would claim there are no atheist extremists. But that's different from blaming atrocities committed by atheists solely on the concept of atheism (what you're doing), which is more in line with the nowadays common BS of doing with same with Islam.

I'm glad you can see that. :)

So .....no.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My old university, Oxford, which was founded by monks, friars and theologians nine centuries ago, was until recently regarded as a bastion of old-fashioned Christianity and, as such, was called "the house of lost causes." Today a publicly expressed belief in Christianity is likely to lower your chance of landing a job at Oxford.

Religion has become a handicap in university life, especially in certain subjects. In philosophy, for example, academics who hope for senior chairs keep mum about any faith they hold. God and promotion do not mix. And in all the sciences, young men and women with religious backgrounds are advised to jettison their Christian, Jewish or other religious baggage if they want to pursue careers in physics, chemistry or biology. The universal assumption seems to be that a belief in God fatally debars a scholar from acquiring scientific knowledge. In Britain the number of students concentrating in the sciences is on the decline, and the systematic discouragement of Christians and Jews in the science faculties will clearly increase that trend.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/1008/027.html

You beat me to it. There are good reasons to believe that Mother Theresa was not all she was cracked up to be. She "helped" people according to her Catholic beliefs. A documentary on her which included interviews, suggested that she was less interested in alleviating sufering than helping people into the kingdom of heaven.

Referring to high infant mortality rates, she happily suggested that it was not a bad thing because it meant more souls for God.

When my time comes I'll settle for a fellow-atheist to help me on my way.
M*W: Myles, we won't have a very long journey on that way. We have no need for Mother Teresa's way. That was the way of the Catholic Church. When our time comes, we will be more than ready. I know I am ready right now. The journey is really not that long.

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote (FAQ) of the Day:

"Listen, people! Life is a giant, invisible scale with two sides: Good and Bad.

You and your beliefs are the weights. The things you do each day determine the balance.

Your conscious is a flawless
Judge and jury. The only question is what you want.

I'm telling' you the natural facts for what it's worth.
Listen to me, people. You make your own heaven and hell
Right here on earth." ~ The Temptations from "You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here"

M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"To achieve great things we must live as though we were never going to die." ~ Luc de Clapiers, Marquis de Vauvenargues, 1715-1747, French Moralist and Writer

:shrug:

Religion is a handicap to education.

Yeah, I totally see that. :)

My old university, Oxford, which was founded by monks, friars and theologians nine centuries ago, was until recently regarded as a bastion of old-fashioned Christianity and, as such, was called "the house of lost causes."

I'm not stopping you. :shrug:
Yes you are. The reason everyone gives them money is that the public perception is that they're a worthwhile charity, when clearly they are not. Your rigorous defense of them is the kind of thing which contributes to that perception.

Yes you are. The reason everyone gives them money is that the public perception is that they're a worthwhile charity, when clearly they are not. Your rigorous defense of them is the kind of thing which contributes to that perception.

As soon as you provide a better alternative, you can rake in the moolah

How many ways would you like me to demonstrate it?

No need I've been around this place for two years and seen it amply demonstrated. :D

Back