Atheists

I asked: "Is Flew now irrational because he believes in God?"

Sarkus said:
Yep. :)
Fun, isn't it. :D

But geeser has said:

"the point being he has'nt gone from rational to irrational.
which is impossible.
"

So what is going on here? How did the impossible happen?

Sarkus said:
LOL! A bit harsh, although I'm sure those things have been labelled at the "believers" at some point in the history of this forum.

It is not harsh - I'm not even a believer, and this crap has been levelled at me.

Want me to link and/or quote it?

Lerxst said:
I asked: "Is Flew now irrational because he believes in God?"

But geeser has said:

"the point being he has'nt gone from rational to irrational.
which is impossible.
"

So what is going on here? How did the impossible happen?

Ironically, geezer has a hard time accepting reality, especially when that reality conflicts with his belief; hence the denial of possibility.

Lerxst said:
It is not harsh - I'm not even a believer, and this crap has been levelled at me.

Want me to link and/or quote it?
Noooo! I'm sure there's plenty of it around. I've probably just never seen the comments expressed so warmly :)

I'm not a believer and people have claimed that I'm not a scientist - although to be fair it was mainly my secondary school Chemistry teacher and I don't think religion had anything to do with his conclusions :D

november said:
Ironically, geezer has a hard time accepting reality, especially when that reality conflicts with his belief; hence the denial of possibility.
I've been following this thread, where has or did geeser deny the possiblity?

and lerxst: perhaps sarkus and geeser have differing opinions, but I think geeser means that flew has'nt complete lost it, like the religious.
if you follow his posts.

pavlosmarcos said:
and lerxst: perhaps sarkus and geeser have differing opinions, but I think geeser means that flew has'nt complete lost it, like the religious.
if you follow his posts.

Yes, they obviously have differing OPINIONS. However some of these opinions are presented as if they were scientific principles, along the lines of "No true atheist shall ever change from his stance of atheism."

I'm hoping that by showing that various statements cannot be reconciled that the sundry atheists will be able to work out amongst themselves exactly where they stand, and enlighten me. Being an agnostic I'd like to know.

But now that I've been told that even a deist can be rational, I guess I might be okay after all. :)

november said:
02-26-06 - 2:53pm

02-26-06 - 4:56pm

What did geeser mean by, "impossible"? :D

:m:
what he said, it is absolutely impossible for you to go from atheist to theist, unless you recieved a bump on the head.
therefore you must have had some believe in a deity, or you dont understand what it is to be an atheist.

Sarkus said:
Holding a belief in something for which there is no evidence is irrational.

I disagree with this statement. A belief in a popular 'God' would gain a person more resources and influence as part of that group. It could also promote strong relationships with the ego and other people.

Another example could be Jews who escaped the holocost by adopting another 'God'. A very rational choice to escape torture and death.

pavlosmarcos said:
what he said, it is absolutely impossible for you to go from atheist to theist, unless you recieved a bump on the head.
therefore you must have had some believe in a deity, or you dont understand what it is to be an atheist.

Or, maybe you just don't understand the concept of free will?

Give it some thought. :D

Crunchy Cat said:
I disagree with this statement. A belief in a popular 'God' would gain a person more resources and influence as part of that group. It could also promote strong relationships with the ego and other people.

Another example could be Jews who escaped the holocost by adopting another 'God'. A very rational choice to escape torture and death.

Maybe if we focus on the belief itself, not the possible beneficial outcomes of the belief. I think the belief itself is irrational by definition. (many moons ago - lots of threads and discussion regarding this).

Lerxst said:
I find it interesting that Deism is found somehow intellectually acceptable around here by even one of the atheists.

Deism:

But all you atheists out there know as well as I do that using *solely reason* you CANNOT get to God. There are no rational arguments that establish the existence of God. First Cause? Nope. Teleological? Nope. All these arguments suck, and you know it, and I know it. So why hold such a positive belief based on *reason*? You can't. What is the proper response to someone who says they have arrived by God via reason? "Show me."

So why on earth would a deist be cut any more slack that a theist?

I personally don't cut em' any. A belief in a white bearded god peeking in on us from the clouds is just as irrational (albeit a bit more silly) as a "first-cause-unknowable-initiatior-of-the-universe" kind of god. Rationality is, after all, the application of reason and logic to a question supported by as many relevant peices of evidence as you can get. Postulating "things" that aren't suggested in the least by the evidence is irrational.

Our universe is a spec of dust on the windowsill of an ambulatory intelligent plant in a much larger metaverse. Take that all you deists.

Lemming3k said:
Women in heaven? It'll never catch on... unless they're one of the 72 virgins.... ;)

And that is a woman's reward in heaven -- to be in a harem?

superluminal said:
I personally don't cut em' any. A belief in a white bearded god peeking in on us from the clouds is just as irrational (albeit a bit more silly) as a "first-cause-unknowable-initiatior-of-the-universe" kind of god. Rationality is, after all, the application of reason and logic to a question supported by as many relevant peices of evidence as you can get. Postulating "things" that aren't suggested in the least by the evidence is irrational..

I basically agree with you, except for a couple little things...

In the context of science, you are wholly correct.

But I think within the realm of philosophy it is perfectly acceptable to postulate possible scenarios for the "big questions" that are outside the purview of science. Hence, it is perfectly plausible that we are living in a vast computer simulation, and there is even a sound argument to show that the probability is not simply zero. It would make no sense to think science could address such an idea, but I don't think that means we should dismiss it.

The problem is when people take these speculative sort of topics and then use them to prop up entire belief systems that contribute to human misery. And we all know how much that has been done.

The other minor issue I have is that I don't always think irrational is necessarily *bad* - but it is only a very narrow range of thinking for which I'd say that. We are dual beings, amalgamations of reason and emotion, and emotion is not rational. The emotional side must be fed and cared for, and if it takes some degree of irrationality for that to be done, then that is what it takes. Providied this is done carefully, I don't see that it is a problem. But I realize for some people it is playing with fire.

You all probably get sick of me talking about the guy, but I'm simply fascinated by Martin Gardner - a brilliant, scientific, skeptical man, as rational as anyone here, if not more so, when discussing math, science, or pseudoscience - yet he is a theist. And he admits it is irrational right up front, but he does it anyway. He is my existence proof that you can have it both ways.

See, the other thing is, and I will admit it for all to read, is that I think I'd be a happier person if I was religious. But I have been a nontheist for so long, and all the arguments against God are so burned into my brain, that there is no way I could "will" myself to be a believer. I just honestly cannot do it. I've tried. Theists say "ask in prayer and He will answer you" - well I tried that and the line is dead. No answer. I'm stuck in a sort of limbo.

Sorry for rambling. It's a fasciating subject, and like the Spinoza quote I posted somewhere, I'm really interested in understanding....

Best to all of you.

november said:
Or, maybe you just don't understand the concept of free will? Give it some thought. :D
what has free will got to do with it, you dont make a choice to use you sense, reason, and intellect less.
that is just plain stupid.

Crunchy Cat said:

I am talking about a true "belief" - not just a claim to believe - not just a following of the crowd. But a true belief.

Yes, people could - and do - gain much by merely claiming to "believe" in things.
But an actual belief - a belief in the existence of something for which there is no evidence - IS irrational.

Crunchy Cat said:

Yes, Like if one person believes in the teapot in orbit around the sun they are crazy but if a billion people believe it, their ego and warm fuzzy feeling gets bigger...

Heyas, didn't mean for this to be sooooo damn long. lol~sorry!

Lerxst said:
[...] it is perfectly plausible that we are living in a vast computer simulation
But not borne out by any objective evidence, only argument. No?

Lerxst said:
and there is even a sound argument to show that the probability is not simply zero.
Is that really convincing though? I say the same thing about ETI, and though there's nothing incoherent or supernatural about it, the subject of probability is met with much undue resistance by "Skeptics" (capital S). Living in a holographic universe takes a leap, afaics, because it implies a holographer... recall the allegory of Plato's cave.

Lerxst said:
It would make no sense to think science could address such an idea, but I don't think that means we should dismiss it.
If all there is a logical proposition and a mathematical probability, science won't work in the first place; in order to apply the Scientific Method there has to be something objective and characterizable.

Lerxst said:
We are dual beings, amalgamations of reason and emotion, and emotion is not rational.
Yes, we are multi-faceted beings who 'exist' materially and 'metaphysically' and otherwise, but consider this-

Emotions and reasoning aren't isometric; they aren't polar opposites in the complementary sense. Reasoning is a real-time cognitive, associative, logical process which constantly occurs within one's mind (indexing and correlating inputs from one's senses, memories, and imaginations most essentially for survial, but also for esteem or other subjective or social benefits), and Emotions are the physiological manifestations of one's thoughts or instincts, very often expressed externally over short periods of time.

As for Gardener, ask him if monotheism is "atheism minus one."

I'd sure like read more from the Deists and Agnostics.

I'm not trying slur deism here, but I sure don't see how "weak monotheism" as any more coherent or rational than ordinary monotheism or other theisms. Similarly, how if one accepts that one "can't know" about any specific God, how it is any more logical to adopt the 'process of tempering one's knowledge to evidence' dogmatically, since the ultimate logical consequence thereof is that "the least knowable god is the one most likely to exist."

What if there are two deities? A God and a Goddess? Or two or more gender-neutral or ambiguous Gods, and Polytheism is "the truth" of our universe... holographic or otherwise.

If there's no "evidence" for something, only intangible arguments and mathematical probabilities, one might be wasting their time trying to temper their knowledge to these immaterial and imaginary constructs; even if they are communicable and objective memes (like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny), they aren't actual or "real." Are Agnostics certain that the Easter Bunny can't be known? I'm not trying to be funny or vulgar here, I understand propositions such as Ophiolite described once, that one tempers Agnosticism to the notion of God because of the imagined risk of being wrong about "God" is imminently greater than lesser propositions, and that you risk nothing by "leaving the door open"... but that is exactly what they have in common.

There have been so many logical dismissals of similar "Pascal's Wager" type arguments that anyone who "leaves the door open" for any impertinent, intangible, supernatural, "evil" or logically artificial God-- has simply not considered their corollaries or other refutations. If so, however, the more "militant" Atheist (capital A) suggestion that the fallacy of Agnosticism (capital A) is the dogmatic unwillingness to commit to any proposition on God(s) (capital G), no matter what, seems more plausible. My take on it is that such a position is axiomatic, not dogmatic, but that's a matter of precision (linguistically; thematically and semantically).

To put things in perspective, because it must seem like I'm deriding agnosticism altogether-

I'm agnostic (lower case A) towards the proposition that the legendary Jesus actually existed because it's not *inconceivable* that some compelling, objective, authentic artifact or documentary evidence may yet be discovered 2,000 or more years later to settle the matter, historically. However, I'm not agnostic on the proposition that "Jesus Christ" existed- that Jesus is a myth, because the very idea of a "Supernatural Human" or a "God Man" is simply incoherent..

You'll no doubt recognize that these views are both perfectly compatible; one can have an ordinary guy named Jesus who might've lived (we don't know) without the "Miracle Working, Water Walker, who was born of a virgin and who rose from the dead" type individual of myth, legend, superstition, faith, or whatever label one affixes to the prophet-martyr figure central to Christianity.

You see, by divorcing any Jesus (real or not) from the "Christ mythos" all we have left is a possibly historical character; whose mere existence is so doubtable at this time (no artifacts worked by him, no period documents authored by him, no eyewitness accounts of him, no records left of him at all outside those of scripture and hearsay) that it doesn't even merit using the descriptive adjective probable. It'd be genuinely nice to have satisfactory evidence and settle that aspect of history, but the most honest of Theologians will admit that rationally one has to be agnostic regarding an historical Jesus, and take the legendary, scriptural "Jesus Christ" on faith alone. No wonder, there.

So, agnosticism isn't useless, no. I've said before that "in many regards I am one," but if I had to clarify that any better for the sake of precision, rather than convention, I'd say "I use agnosticism" (towards specific subjects) rather than "I am agnostic" (more generally).

And regarding Agnosticism (again, big A)-

Again, I put it to You (big Y, *grin*) that the only coherent definition of Any, Every, and All Gods is that they are "imaginary, mythological beings."

Why believe that any of them could be actual?

Why withold any judgement at all?

Lerxst said:
I think I'd be a happier person if I was religious.
I'm curious, why?

You've been very open and honest so far, and though we've only traded notes for a couple weeks now, I'm guessing this is a sensitive topic for you... but (1) what is happiness (2) what is religion -to you?

To me, happiness is internal satisfaction; confidence and contentment; health and purpose; reason and awareness.

We each spend alot of our time trying to happy, but few stop to try write down what happiness is, or means.

Religion, in my view, is any belief, or set of beliefs, that direct or guide one's behavior or actions. It is synonymous with superstition, cognitively, with the baggage of social and cultural memes.

Others have said that religion is merely an innate "reverence for life"... but this occurs on an instinctive level in every one of us; it is the will to survive and avoid death and suffering.

I suggest that happiness is only one preferred manner of being (but not a means, nor an end), and that one need not adopt any belief system to attain it; we already instinctively value life and most of it's 'modes' (pain, suffering, and insanity kinda suck, then there's the 'ultimate' mode of life... NOT LIVING).

In summary, if religion is simply unnecessary to have happiness, why bother?

It could even be suggested that religion is harmful, if not to the religious themselves, then to others around them.

There are historical examples.

Remember, "Men feared Witches and burnt Women"...

Lerxst said:
Sorry for rambling. It's a fasciating subject, and like the Spinoza quote I posted somewhere, I'm really interested in understanding....

Best to all of you.

"Lord, I was born a rambling man... nah-nah nah, nah-nah nah"

Apologies for the MONSTER post, and prolly some of it's "tone" or, how I said what.

Ditto, understanding... ditto, Best!

Back