Atheists

Lerxst said:
Cute. When someone has an answer for the position of philosophical skepticism, I'm listening.

But that's the point of the dragon, philosophical skepticism in it's rawest form, don't you see?

It must be driven home if one cannot distinguish between the absurdities of religion and the reality of dragons.

Pink isn't that which results in reflected wavelengths, it is the embodiment of all that exhibits the supernatural within nature, and allows us to recogniize and acknowledge its apparent existence. It gives us the reason and justification to prescribe the existence of gods.

Invisibility and non-existence are one and the same.

Religious people have the tendency to praise and please God in order to gain a place in heaven, and thus escaping hell. They try to save themselves. The whole idea of religion is a campaign of fear. I saw what "Muslim" wrote earlier on about him pleasing god to have his reward of 52 hot virgins, and that sounds pretty clear to me.

I've had quite a few conversations with religious people, and it feels like they are feeling sorry for me only because I have chosen not to believe in a God. Religious people talk about tolerance and love, but I don't see very much tolerance, only prejudice.

HEY Lerxst

I am a Rationalist, and I became so since I decided not be a slave of GOD anymore.

That SUCKER god helps thoes who pray regardless of what they pray for and how good they are as beings,

U BASTARD GOD, I DECALRE A WAR AGAINST U TO LIBERATE HUMANITY FROM YOUR EVIL MATRIX.

(Q) said:
Invisibility and non-existence are one and the same.

I cannot agree with that statement. There may be truths that we can no more comprehend than my cat can comprehend how this PC works. If the brain of every other species on this rock is limited in it's ability to percieve and understand, I see no reason to think that we are somehow so different that we can somehow discover everything. That is quite a leap.

Heya, let me try to pick this up again.

Left off with the points of "Agnosticism being a process" (the term "method" implies a creed, but that's a semantic point) and clarifying a couple cases where agnosticism is irrational, basically along evidentiary grounds.

*** WARNING MONSTER POST *** DANGER *** DANGER ALERT ***

Lerxst said:
You lost me. Maybe it has just been a long day...

Ok, back to simplest terms and exploring from there:

(1) Endless deferrals of what actually explains an explanandum
Worst case first, since it's easily understood as hyperbole- "If agnosticism is adopted because it is reasonably held in proportion to the evidence of a proposition, one has to maintain the process by being highly selective of the evidence, otherwise a wrong conclusion could be reached." The similarity between this type of endless deferral and ordinary denial then is simply a matter of degree, or rather- objectivity. The hyperbole at work here is that "endless deferrals are desirable" (rather than "a result" of properly following a process).

But, ok, what happens if we strictly follow the process of tempering our understanding to evidence? Afterall, if there is no evidence to weigh for a proposition then one can't apply agnosticism at all...

We can rule out "fixing (or discarding) the evidence" ourselves, but what if there are flaws with the evidence?

"If agnosticism is adopted by virtue that it is the most reasonable position because it parses rational acceptance of a proposition in proportion to the evidence, but that evidence is recursive, then so too is one's adoption of agnosticism."

Take Aquinas' classic "First Cause" argument (Aristotle's unmoved-mover, essentially); one can't rationally adopt agnosticism to the Deity that is logically identified as The First Cause.

The problem here is two-fold, the greater flaw is that it is recursive, and the second is that there is an insufficent amount of evidence to consider. When I consider "prime mover gods" I try not to set out right away and trim all the fat and fluff from a protracted dissertation for my own edification; the schematic of Aquinas' argument is just simply that lacking; no matter how many causes one puts between >now< and the beginning of our Spatio-temporal Cosmic bubble, no conclusion can be drawn about *before* space-time began and one can know that; and so, to me, it requires no agnosticism.

If we know we don't know, then we're not "agnostic"- we're knowledgable.

(anyone amused by my exceedingly bad taste in puns, please don't pardon me)...

We know it's Knowledge, otherwise it'd be Ignorance-- DUH!

So, I see no other evidence at all for the Prime Mover God within the schematic of Aquinas' argument; just one factoid and some sophistry. I fully accept that I may be missing something important, and I'll gladly reconsider what that might be, but it seems that the entire case for that deity is purely imaginary and illogical (even incoherent).

More on topic-

Consider that agnosticism is truly a process as Huxley described it, rather than a fixed position, in circumstances when there can be no other evidence introduced-- then the process has reached a stopping point; this is not to say that this point is "true or false," it has simply ceased being useful to weigh the evidence because it is underwhelming and because no further evidence will be forthcoming from it.

The process has ended, thus one is not "being agnostic."

To continue carrying on otherwise creates an inadvertent "endless regression" because "we" would be allowing an underabundance of evidence an undue chance to be more exhaustive than it is (and was), or even- to make more sense to us than it did the first few thousand times we considered it, as if any new arrangement of the words or concepts in our heads would become any clearer with "re-re-re-thinking" it over. As in the tired allegory of "testing gravity" by repeatedly climbing a tower to different heights and dropping different items just on the "off chance" that an item will fall upwards instead of downwards (or towards the larger attracting mass, rather)-- at some moot point the process becomes patently absurd.

Not because the process itself is bad...

But because the expectation that the results could be any different, even given an infinite number of trials, would not be grounded in objective fact.

At that moot point, one suspends witholding judgement.

(2) A contradiction arises [...]

That was my hastily-condensed way of trying to summarize such propositions as "agnosticism refutes itself" and "agnostics can't know". Again, I consider this to be a strawman when applied outside a narrow set of arguments about knowledge itself.

Contradictions such as- "if agnosticism is the best method for evaluating "truth" but can be shown to be "false" in just one case [...]"-- aren't really contradictions, of course, but try explaining that to any newsgroup or message board "ingenue" who has only a "folk-understanding" of philosophical terms or of logic.

It's undeniable, and "brutally elegant" that one cannot withold judgement on matters in which there are only two logical, polarized states; one can't be half-pregnant- as the saying goes. In that case, one can "not know" if they are pregnant, but one cannot assert that it is "unknowable"...

For if one tries, the process of agnosticism transistions from method into belief.

Objectively, one can "know" about beliefs... without adopting them.

Others merely believe.

Lerxst said:
I'm also agnostic on the existence of ETI.
Mere existence, or "contact" or both? I now think that it is so highly probable- as to be indistinguishable from a logical, rational, and practical certainty that other intelligent, material beings actually exist in the same cosmos we inhabit.

"Contact" however, is exponentially less probable... proportional in some regards to both the time and distance between ourselves and "whoever" else, and a vast number of ponderable differences between "our" respective biological, philosophical, and cultural evolutionary statuses.

But I can't honestly say I'm agnostic on either phenomenon.

Nor was I ever agnostic on the proposition that there are other planets orbiting other stars.

Lerxst said:
This is something that almost everyone who has thought about it agrees on. We don't have any evidence for ETI, but it is certainly conceivable given the size of the known universe that it is out there. All we can honestly say is that there is no evidence, but that this absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. And there are plausability arguments. Now if clear positive evidence for ETI turns up tomorrow, the agnosticism ends. But if it never turns up, it will tough for the agnosticism to end until every cubic mile of the universe has been accounted for. Will that ever happen? Probably not. So I can never imagine "we know there is no life but that on earth" being a statement I would accept - at least in my lifetime.

Ok, now let me say I respect your opinions, but this is where I will strongly disagree-- between "ETI" and "God"... and agnosticism.

"We" can't honestly say that there is no evidence for ETI; only that the evidence which we know about is not compelling enough to suspend our (agnostic) processes. Even if we could agree that we have seen all there is to see- consensus doesn't make it so; we are going to find we have different levels of exposure and familiarity to the evidence for this phenomenon, and thus different assessments; even if we both compared each other's data exhaustively.

Besides, there's nothing necessarily supernatural or incoherent about ETI, nor anything preventing sufficiently-advanced ET's from having studied our solar system. In short, ETI is a topic that is so broad, and with so many objective details which will be (or are-) actually checkable that one can't legitimately say "I looked and I saw no evidence."

"I never saw one" I'd believe, but "I never saw any evidence" (and neither did anybody else)... not a fuckin chance.

What have the "God bots" got? Nothing but sophistry. Why? Because all Gods are imaginary, mythological beings. This is the one definition that works for any, all, and every God and Goddess, objectively. You ask any monotheist why they reject every other god but One, then use that same criteria on their God.

It even passes the "litmus test" of NOT equivocating "exist"...

One can't say "Gods don't exist" because imaginary ideas and concepts do exist... they simply aren't actual (as in "actually real"); they "exist" only as any other notion, dream, or memetically transferred concept "exists." Right between one's ears.

And, in the case of such deities, the absence of material evidence is a type of evidence which is necessarily absent to support the hypothesis that imaginary articles and critters aren't actual. It's a cop-out plea to semantics or nihilism (or both or worse) to suggest that one can't *really* know what "imaginary is" when this word has clear and concise positive, negative, and relative and associative definitions; it defies the laws governing conventional language to suggest that words don't mean what words mean...

Heh, Clinton's blowjob be damned... (if I may again be so vulgar)

Stopping here, sorry if the "fluff" is unwelcome, I'm rather sleepy so there is little doubt there are misspellings and dropped words here and there.

Cheers, Lerxst (and fellow posters)

Electrons are generally invisible. Granted they don't really exist, so perhaps that was a bad example. How about black holes then? Damn, I don't believe in them either.

The wind is invisible. There you go. I believe in the wind, yet it is invisible.

Case closed.

Mythbuster said:
God has no beggining and has no end right ?

0 x infinity = undefined
That means he dont exist you twit !

Well gosh darn, you've managed to define the undefined with undefined logic. Theory no more!

Mythbuster said:
Let's reword it then, God exists, for the weak minded, the delusional, the misguided, the confused, the deceived, the disinformed, the foolish, the ill-advised, the imprudent, the misled, the misplaced, the mistaken, the unreasonable, the unwise, the disfunctional religious prat.

So, does this mean you believe in god?

KennyJC said:
Not that I don't deny completely the possability that there is an 'intelligent designer'. I just find it unlikely. Although the "but the universe is so complex" may sound convicincing, it is completely baseless.

It's not convincing, or baseless. I would expect an open-minded skeptic to think along these lines.

KennyJC said:
I have a fair idea what it would be like to believe in God, since I used to do so around the age of 10. I also believed in Santa. I can say I don't need any self illusions.

So let me get this straight, you're "open" to the possibility of an intelligent designer, yet you ridicule the idea?

Mythbuster said:
It's been established the Bible is most certainly NOT a source of scientific evidence; it contradicts itself frequently

Kind of like evolution, and moreover, science as a whole.

Mythbuster said:
Using it as a basis for such an extraordinarily ignorant, bigoted and outrageous argument as yours is simply unacceptable in terms of discussion. With no evidence towards it and so much against it, the only logical conclusion is that you are wrong.

What is the evidence for, and against a higher form of intelligence? List the "evidence" please, and do so without reference to organized religion.

Lil Light Foot said:

When it comes down to it, there's no proof that he does exist.

I suppose, but, how do I convince my friend his NDE wasn't "real"? He keeps telling me it was real, but there's no scientific evidence to back up his claim.

By the way, I too was an atheist.

Lemming3k said:
Been there, really wasnt worth my time, my life is better without belief in a god.

If it's not worth your time, then by all means, stop wasting your time. ;)

Lemming3k said:
Most dont, i find religious people much more pushy as far as conversions go,

Apples and oranges really. You've got strong opinions on both sides, and it would be biased of you "as an atheist" to make such comments especially in this day and age.

Lemming3k said:
I'd say defensive, used to constantly being attacked, preached at etc, remember aAtheism is the minority.

Constantly being attacked? Could it be that, you've exaggerated the situation with your bias paranoia? Furthermore, do you enjoy being "attacked"? I know I do. ;)

Lerxst said:
I cannot agree with that statement. There may be truths that we can no more comprehend than my cat can comprehend how this PC works. If the brain of every other species on this rock is limited in it's ability to percieve and understand, I see no reason to think that we are somehow so different that we can somehow discover everything. That is quite a leap.

Is the PC invisible to the cat?

Do you know how your PC works?

If the physical realm is all that exists, and nothing appears to evidently suggest otherwise, why would we limit ourselves in not attempting to discover everything? It might be a leap for the mind of the theist, but certainly not for the mind of a scientist.

If it's not worth your time, then by all means, stop wasting your time.
I did, quite a few years ago, now i just need to train myself out of the social conditioning. :)
Apples and oranges really. You've got strong opinions on both sides, and it would be biased of you "as an atheist" to make such comments especially in this day and age.
Bias how? I never said atheists havnt pushed their views, i said they are in the minority and are often preached at, in quite the aggressive manner, and will defend themselves mostly. Its hardly apples and oranges since theists react the same way, if you felt it implied that only theists preach, or that only they may be aggressive, then perhaps i havnt made my post clear, but i thought i did.
Constantly being attacked? Could it be that, you've exaggerated the situation with your bias paranoia? Furthermore, do you enjoy being "attacked"? I know I do.
I dont feel i have, some are fine, yet i find most arnt, most speak before knowing im atheist, it seems to be ingrained in the belief system that atheists are sinful etc and hence need some form of saving or guidance, obviously this varies slightly with different religions but the basic principle is similar. Percentage wise the level of preaching is quite even i would think, but since they are the outnumbered section of the population, they will be more frequently preached at, its quite logical really, dont you think?
I find it an annoyance when someone doesnt take "i dont care" for an answer, but pests are easily dealt with.

Ophiolite said:
Electrons are generally invisible. Granted they don't really exist, so perhaps that was a bad example. How about black holes then? Damn, I don't believe in them either.

The wind is invisible. There you go. I believe in the wind, yet it is invisible.

Case closed.

"The invisible and non-existent are one and the same."

I like tossing in that line occassionally and watching the reaction. In this case, 'invisible' is not defined as imperceptible by the eye, but instead, undetectable.

Lemming3k said:
Bias how? I never said atheists havnt pushed their views, i said they are in the minority and are often preached at, in quite the aggressive manner, and will defend themselves mostly.

I thought your argument was bias because there's just no evidence to support it. I've practiced atheism for years, and haven't ever felt "attacked" because of it. Of course, if I were intolerant towards others, I would expect the same kind of treatment in return.

Lemming3k said:
I dont feel i have, some are fine, yet i find most arnt, most speak before knowing im atheist, it seems to be ingrained in the belief system that atheists are sinful etc and hence need some form of saving or guidance, obviously this varies slightly with different religions but the basic principle is similar.

Call me a new ager, but I don't believe atheists need to be saved. I believe we all need to be educated, and respectful towards others. That's all.

By the way, I realize this all sounds very corny, but it's not. Spiritualists don't sit there waiting for magic. That is a ridiculous notion brought on by atheistic teachings.

Lemming3k said:
Percentage wise the level of preaching is quite even i would think, but since they are the outnumbered section of the population, they will be more frequently preached at, its quite logical really, dont you think?

It is, but do you feel victimized by society because of your atheistic beliefs?

I thought your argument was bias because there's just no evidence to support it. I've practiced atheism for years, and haven't ever felt "attacked" because of it. Of course, if I were intolerant towards others, I would expect the same kind of treatment in return.
Well everyone has different experiences, and of course yours are as valid as anyones. As far as i know most atheists have been preached at at some point and find it highly offensive, that is if they dont laugh their ass off first. Of course this preaching causes a defensive reaction, but i rarely find an atheist that goes out to cause trouble.
Call me a new ager, but I don't believe atheists need to be saved. I believe we all need to be educated, and respectful towards others. That's all.

By the way, I realize this all sounds very corny, but it's not. Spiritualists don't sit there waiting for magic. That is a ridiculous notion brought on by atheistic teachings.
Well there are a few like you, and i have had religious friends without any problems, especially people who get to know me and then ask my religion(since they find it hard to then find a base for their "devil worshipping" assumptions) but not all act with the same attitude, and its usually a case of a snap judgement based on the persons religious education about one descriptive word, "atheist". Personally i dont care if someone shares my views, its not a big deal, so long as they dont push it on me i can get along with anyone.
As for atheistic teachings, there arnt any, at least i've never encountered any, atheism seems to be a decision some people come to, they're rarely taught anything about it or religion, they find out for themselves, especially through interaction with religious followers. I never encountered an atheist before i became one, in fact when i did i didnt even know the term atheist, i only found that out later, and im just as willing to ignore atheist preaching as religious preaching, so i havnt found any teachings.

It is, but do you feel victimized by society because of your atheistic beliefs?
Not victimized, just statistically outnumbered, as i said some people are perfectly fine to interact with, but i find some arnt, and have encountered less atheists out to preach, since i dont think they really care if everyone agrees or not.

november said:
By the way, I too was an atheist.
impossible, no you were'nt, agnostic may be and thats stretching it a lot.

I've never met one, really. By that I mean people I have known to be real atheists with a coherent set of beliefs who later swallow the Christian message. I've never met one and I have never come across any evidence of the phenomenon in print. Of course there are countless examples of Christian authors (authors who sell to Christians on the basis of being aggressively Christian) who claim they once were atheists or even had set out to prove Christianity wrong, but they mysteriously have left not one word in the public domain from that mythical time of their own atheism. The best that can be seen is a bit of early journalism that doesn't betray much evidence of belief one way or another. There are precisely zero famously atheist people who are now famously Christian.

I know hundreds of atheists. There are dozens of them who I know are very clear about their beliefs and have a clear and coherent philosophy which does not include any room for superstition or belief in religion. None of these people has become a Christian. Of course there are millions of people who are atheists who don't make a big deal of it, don't write about their beliefs and don't expose them to scrutiny. This is the well out of which the “ex-atheists” emerge. When they proclaim their new religion, whatever it is, they want to make their conversion story sound good so they tell a big tale about being an atheist, why should we doubt their former doubt? Well, there are many different ways a person can be an atheist and nobody worries too much about orthodoxy or heresy. I've corresponded with very many people who claim to be atheists but who have a very mixed up set of ideas, if a few of them “get Jesus” I'm not going to be in the slightest bit affected, they never were coherent atheists, they never expressed an understanding of why there is no god, just an idea that they didn't believe the religions they knew about.

The mention that somebody who is now famous only for being the author of a book or books bought by Christians claims he used to be an atheist is not in the least bit impressive to me. They would say that, wouldn't they? “I'm a Christian, I've always been a Christian and here's my book about what I believe” — it's not very impressive is it? Neither is it very impressive to say I used to call myself an atheist sometimes, but really I was just not that bothered with religion and more recently I've been converted to Christianity and started to read up about it, and my publisher thought it would be a good angle to say I'm an ex-atheist and the book is the explanation for my change of heart...

If Richard Dawkins wrote a book about why he had converted to Christianity then I'd be shocked and I would want to know the details. Richard Dawkins is a famous atheist. There are no famous atheists who are now Christians. None. There are a few dozen famous Christians who were not famous when they claim they were atheists. Big bloody deal.

Don't give me any more accounts of these people who claim they used to be atheists. I know lots of atheists. They stay atheist.

thanks AU

Last edited:
Knowing some atheists is not the same as knowing all atheists.

This is very simple logic.

You therefore cannot justifiably extrapolate from those few atheists you know to all atheists.

Lemming3k said:
Well everyone has different experiences, and of course yours are as valid as anyones. As far as i know most atheists have been preached at at some point and find it highly offensive, that is if they dont laugh their ass off first.

I was gonna say that. I mean, some atheists will be offended by certain things, but I haven't experienced much hostility in that regard. Of course, I come from from a moderate family and so, religion/god were rarely discussed at the dinner table.

Lemming3k said:
Well there are a few like you, and i have had religious friends without any problems, especially people who get to know me and then ask my religion(since they find it hard to then find a base for their "devil worshipping" assumptions) but not all act with the same attitude, and its usually a case of a snap judgement based on the persons religious education about one descriptive word, "atheist".

I socialize with atheists on a daily basis, and most of them happen to be really bright people. I don't take offense with their beliefs, so long as they respect mine.

I find that, generally speaking, they're just not interested in talking about the subject of god or the afterlife so it becomes a moot point rather quickly.

Lemming3k said:
As for atheistic teachings, there arnt any, at least i've never encountered any,

By teachings, I meant the perception within' the atheistic "community".

geeser said:
impossible, no you were'nt, agnostic may be and thats stretching it a lot.

I was an atheist 2 years ago; that's just a fact.

geeser said:
I've never met one, really. By that I mean people I have known to be real atheists with a coherent set of beliefs who later swallow the Christian message.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up. The "Christian" message?

geeser said:
I've never met one and I have never come across any evidence of the phenomenon in print. Of course there are countless examples of Christian authors (authors who sell to Christians on the basis of being aggressively Christian) who claim they once were atheists or even had set out to prove Christianity wrong, but they mysteriously have left not one word in the public domain from that mythical time of their own atheism.

Good for Christianity.

What do you want me to say? I'm not a Christian, or a believer in any organized religion for that matter. If you don't believe me, that's really your problem.

geeser said:
There are precisely zero famously atheist people who are now famously Christian.

orly8jh.jpg

geeser said:
I know hundreds of atheists. There are dozens of them who I know are very clear about their beliefs and have a clear and coherent philosophy which does not include any room for superstition or belief in religion.

Okay, so you know hundreds of atheists, and dozens of them are very clear about their beliefs.

Your point?!

geeser said:
None of these people has become a Christian.

Let me see if I can put 2 and 2 together here. You claim, lol btw, to know "hundreds" of atheists, of which dozens have strong beliefs, and this somehow relates to my situation? :bugeye: A situation, I might add, that doesn't involve Christianity?! If you could simply understand your own ignorance, you'd be embarrassed with your hypothesis.

geeser said:
This is the well out of which the “ex-atheists” emerge. When they proclaim their new religion, whatever it is, they want to make their conversion story sound good so they tell a big tale about being an atheist

So, should I "hide" the fact that I was an atheist for fear it might sound too conspiratorial? No...

You can sit there and whine, pout, call me a wolf in sheeps clothing, but it's irrelevant to the only person that matters, and that's me. I know I was an atheist, infact, I still have my yahoo account "atheist4god@yahoo.ca" up and running.

I can see this debate going nowhere, fast; so just know you're wrong, and that's all there is to it.

geeser said:
“I'm a Christian, I've always been a Christian and here's my book about what I believe” — it's not very impressive is it? Neither is it very impressive to say I used to call myself an atheist sometimes, but really I was just not that bothered with religion and more recently I've been converted to Christianity

You're obsessed with Christianity, I can tell. :D

geeser said:
If Richard Dawkins wrote a book about why he had converted to Christianity then I'd be shocked and I would want to know the details. Richard Dawkins is a famous atheist. There are no famous atheists who are now Christians. None. There are a few dozen famous Christians who were not famous when they claim they were atheists. Big bloody deal.

Exactly, big bloody deal.

geeser said:
Don't give me any more accounts of these people who claim they used to be atheists.

What accounts are you talking about? I made reference to my own personal situation, that's it.

I'm not gonna hold back because you don't like it.

Muslim said:
No they do exist, but they are illogical I mean think about it? it can't fly it lives in cold water and does nothing, and the way it walks it just don't look right I don't like them.

Well Muslims believe in evolution as it doesn't contradict the Quran. Every thought maybe you researched the wrong religion I believe there is a religion out there for everyone and everyone should believe in a god.

Yes, my motivation is to please god and do good so I get my reword. 72 hot virgins.

In heaven nobody has a "dinghy." Sex isn't needed anymore. Think about it. And the 72 virgins are they in heaven or a harem? Heaven ain't no orgy.

Last edited:
I was gonna say that. I mean, some atheists will be offended by certain things, but I haven't experienced much hostility in that regard. Of course, I come from from a moderate family and so, religion/god were rarely discussed at the dinner table.
It was more that people seem indoctrinated from a young age, when they wouldnt know any better, and arnt taught alternatives, it was a good 5 years before i was taught of other religions(though i had grown up with kids from a multitude of countries and hence religions so was aware at least), and people dont always break that indoctrination, and feel all must share their beliefs.
I socialize with atheists on a daily basis, and most of them happen to be really bright people. I don't take offense with their beliefs, so long as they respect mine.
As do i with religious people, the ones that know me reserve judgement and have no problem with me, and i think in part thats helped them stay open minded towards other atheists as they were fully aware we arnt violent sinners dragging them kicking and screaming into hell(though it can be tempting). ;)
I find that, generally speaking, they're just not interested in talking about the subject of god or the afterlife so it becomes a moot point rather quickly.
Yes thats what i mean, it seems atheists care less to argue because its irrelavant, some theists seem to deem it their duty to help others, and can be quite misguided, perhaps its this that causes the confusion, but most atheists are quick to point out they arnt interested.
By teachings, I meant the perception within' the atheistic "community".
I guess its just me but i find atheists, since not having a defined set of beliefs, vary greatly on what they think and feel and believe, and hence its very difficult to have any form of community or structure to their feelings and agreements.

geeser said:

I've never met one, really. By that I mean people I have known to be real atheists with a coherent set of beliefs who later swallow the Christian message.

I have -- they are in church now where you won't see them anymore.

I know one that has been both a deacon and an elder. I asked him about his conversion. He said he was in denial about God -- that's why he was an atheist for so long. He's a brilliant man, a nuclear reactor engineering manager for an electric utility.

In heaven nobody has a "dinghy." Sex isn't needed anymore. Think about it. And the 72 virgins are they in heaven or a harem? Heaven ain't no orgy.
Have you been there? How do you know its not just gods big eternal lovefest and only the incredably sexy get into heaven? :p

Back