Atheist..Please stand up

tiassa

Nice post. Regarding your question:

Atheists: Why do you let someone set such firm terms for debate?
My Answer: I doubt Lady is a student/practicioner/teacher of
the art of 'debate' or 'critical thinking'. This is based
on the content of her original post and the fact that
it has undertones of personal irritation behind it, so I
replied in her context because she felt comefortable
with it... not to mention I had my own motives for
exploring how she thinks.

On the other hand... that muscleman fella is a loon.
It seems like one out of every ten things he says is
actually ok, but the other nine are an experiment
gone bad in creative writing. Ahh well.

Lady...

**** Upon asking atheist to state why they hold to the postion of the non-existence of God I have heard many things and am confused. I being a believer in God through personal proof is the strongest reasoning for my position. However, those who haven't had a encounter with God can't attribute the origins of the universe and all that is in it to God, which leads to confusion and much questioning.It is a fact that the universe was here before I and any other human-being and that we are not responsible for its existence. I don't understand why people would rather attribute something to nothing.Some atheist believe that our origins just evolved out of nothing. Personally, that theory goes against logic.....something can't come out of nothing. Nor could I get a logical explanation on evolution& sex. I understand that atheist don't believe in Genesis,however, it explains how sex came about. And if Genesis isn't accurate and our origins just evolved, than sex would not be neccessary(even now).Why does the program change from evolution without sex to evolution with sex? ****

Q1: I don't understand why people would rather attribute
something to nothing.
A1: You must be talking about the univers. I personally have no
idea how it all got started (or if the concept of 'started' even
applies). The 'Big Bang' theory sounds ok... but its just a
theory and our conclusion on the observable data we've
collected may be wrong. To complicate things, we are beings
who experience in 4 dimensions. Length, Width, Depth, and
Time. Our universe provides these dimensions and our bodies
perceive them. Of course anything outside of what our
Universe provides (assuming the concept exists) is unknown to
us at the moment.

Q2: Nor could I get a logical explanation on evolution& sex?
A2: This is just hypothsis, but 2 or more those amino acid
programs that just keep on changing over time probably were
chemically attracted to each other during their current
reproduction process and their offspring had a mixture of both
programs. The offspring was also probably successful in the
environment at that time and of course they had the chemical
programming to mix it up with other chemical programs during
their reproduction process.

In any event... I was not there and did not see it happen,
but it makes sense that something like I just mentioned could
have been the beginning of sex. Don't forget we still have
A-sexual life forms on the planet today so not everything
reproduces by having sex.

Q3: Some atheist believe that our origins just evolved out of
nothing. Personally, that theory goes against
logic.....something can't come out of nothing?
A3: 'Our' origins? I tend to think that evolution is a good
explanation of our origins. It doesn't go against logic.

For all those other 'sex' questions see 'A2'.

-CC

RENCH the real argument is already over from the beggining, God does have proof BUT YOU ARE NOT CONVINCE OF IT, but He does have proof, YOU IN THE OTHER HAND DENIES IT AND REPITITIOUSLY WOULD SAY "You have no proof, you have no proof of God, YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF GOD!"

CTHULHU WILL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

I'm bored and listened to too much black metal.

Sorry to again make you read most of a post, but it's to save having to re-read the original first post.

Lady's questions were: -
1) Logically explain the origin's of human& animal evolution?
2) Who or what initated the big bang? How is it that the earth was designed for the human make-up?
3) I hear that atheist base their belief on science, however has science disproved or proved the existence of God?
(4) As far as space travel goes we can't even get out of our own solar system so why dismiss the existence of God or any other life form?
(5) Does anyone have any reculection on where they were before conception? And where the life giving force came from?
(6) Who or what would you say is the designer of this complex universe and all that is in it?
(7) Did a human being create him or herself? If so why are women still getting pregnant?
(8)What does a atheist expect after death? To go back to?
(9) Explain the mystery of conception?- reflective thinking
(10) Can the non-existence of God be proved scientifically?
(11) Science is a on going study of the universe....why?

I feel that if Lady is genuinely interested in our answers to these questions, she would ask each one separately, in separate threads. No deviations allowed. When you read them, you will notice that most of the questions are two-part questions (some even unrelated to each other even though they're asked in the one sentence), and none of them are simply answered.
That's partly the reason I directed a number of questions back at her, I think she saw how difficult it would have been to address all of the questions and gave me a lame reply.
The point I'm trying to make is not being eloquently presented -sorry - however I'm hoping you will see where I'm trying to go with this.

To Lady,
Ask one question, stay on topic, and let's have a sincere conversation on what you want to debate or inquire about. Please?

Thanks
Teri

:)

While Frencheneez question the reproductive cause of cars claiming the odds of that happening is one in a zillion zillion, CC in the other hand find a flaw of my analogy by saying "Metals dont attract to each other" meanwhile another atheist might say "cars dont run fast enough or float in water", Ill give you 5 minutes to just think about what you all said.....if 5 min. is up read below.

You guys either misunderstood the point, or just did the famous debate maneuvering (As Frencheneez is well-known and famous for doing). THEPOINT IS SOMETHING AS COMPLEX, ORDERED, FUNCTIONING AND DETAILED COULDNT EXIST WITHOUT AN INTELLIGENT CAUSE, we are not talking about its mortality, its height, its attraction, its capabilities, etc. YOU SAID AMINO ACIDS CLUMP TOGETHER, SO DOES WATER AND SANDS, THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT CLUMP TOGETHER, BUT WHY DO YOU JUMP INTO CONCLUSION AND SAY "WELL SOMEHOW IT JUST CLUMP TOGETHER AND MYSTERIOUSLY BECAME A LIVING MITOCHONDRIA, A LIVING RIBOSOME, A LIVING CYTOPLASM, AND THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF CELL PARTS AND BEGIN REPRODUCING, ETC." DID YOU EVEN REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? YOU JUMP INTO CONCLUSION, AND DONT GET ME WRONG THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, IF, AND IF YOU CAN PROVE IT AND DEMONSTRATE THE TRUTH BEHIND YOUR CLAIM, BUT CAN YOU? NO! I do realize that things that makes up a cell is being labeled, some calls whats cntained it bio-chemical substance, rna, dna, cytoplasm, etc. labeling and giving it names after your son is easy, even I can do that opening my stereo components, i can even make spare parts, such as my own wires, but how impossible it is for me to create a whole stereo that functions (i dont have the educational level for it).

About proving toothfairies wrong, I have addressed this a million times (f.o.s.). Any claim can be proven false by lack of substancial evidence, any claim, and many atheist when hearing this doesnt like it well too bad, for its true. A claim can be proven fake by absence of evidence and ENVIRONMENTAL REALITY, LACK OF SUBSTANCIAL LOGIC THAT SOCIETY CAN RELATE TO. .and bob-the interdimensional scientist, or "giant purple squid monkey" who asked you to believe them? I dont believe them, do you?

Atheist will say "If God is not fake because you want proof he is, then prove to me tooth fairies/unicorns don’t hover around earth every night".

Smart Christian will say "A claim can b proven fake by lack of evidence. What evidence do u have of tooth fairy? How many eyewitnesses? Millions? If tooth fairies plucked out a teeth, is there any scientific investigation done to it? If so can u show it? How many testified? Show me healing, supernatural/miracles documented in the name of tooth fairy. How many died for tooth fairy to verify its value? Thousands? Is there a Historical location of it? If so, where? Give up? Well tooth fairy because of its lack of evidence is fake. Period...

Jesus being God is nowhere close to toothfairies and giant purple squid monkey, lol, what r u thinking? Jesus affected the whole world (b.c. and a.d. marks the remembrance of his existence) does toothfairies have that much effect on the world? did bob the inter-dimensional scientist? SHOW ME ANY DOCUMENTED PROOFS OF TOOTHFAIRY? FIND ANY? NONE! MAYBE 5 EYEWITNESSES? I DOUBT IT, AND IF U FIND IT, WELL GET READY FOR BILLIONS.

ABOUT ATHEISM BEING "TO REJECT EXISTENCE OF GOD" THE FACT THAT THE MATTER IS, YOU MAY REJECT BECAUSE GOD DOES HAVE EVIDENCE BUT YOUR NOT CONVINCE OF IT, WELL IN THIS CASE I WILL ARGUE KING HENRY AND SHAKESPEARE ARE ALSO MYTHS FOR THE PROOF PROVIDED FOR THEM CAN BE USED FOR GOD (SUPERNATURAL OR NOT, BRING YOUR THOIUGHTS IN ABOUT THIS), AND JUST BECAUSE YOUR NOT CONVINCE OF HARD FACTS, THAT DOESNT MEAN HIS EXISTENCE IS UNLIKELY, AND IF U MAKE A STEP further by claiming that, you indeed have no proof, so it is better to be agnostic.

AND FRENCHENEEZ THE LIAR GET YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT (THIS PERSON HAS BEEN LYINGOVER AND OVER AGAIN), THERE IS OVER 2 BILLION CHRISTIANS WORLD WIDE TODAY, THAT INCLUDES PROTESTANTS, MORMONS, ETC. AND OVER 1 BILLION OF THEM ARE CATHOLICS.

Here I stand

There is safety in numbers. 1 billion catholics, 2 billion christians, 6 billion spiritual. The numbers have no relation to truth or knowledge.

Various civilizations throughout the history of the world have all had their religions to help people avoid the innate fears of the unknown and mortality. Egyptions, greeks, romans...all had religions that lasted for thousands of years. Current religions will suffer the same fate.

Nothing is inherently wrong with religion...but if you judge a religion by its effects on society, there is something very wrong with the major religions.

Today's modern era would seem to be ripe grounds for a new religion. Perhaps based on science, perhaps not.

To believe and propagate the major religions in the world today is to fly in the face of reason and rational thought. It is a disgrace to the human race. It is an insult to anyone that truly values truth and knowledge.

1 billion, 2 billion....the numbers are embarrassing and a black mark on the progress mankind has made.

muscleman

I started reading your response and had to stop right at the
beggining. You asserted the statement:

"THEPOINT IS SOMETHING AS COMPLEX, ORDERED, FUNCTIONING AND DETAILED COULDNT EXIST WITHOUT AN INTELLIGENT CAUSE"

That's your OPINION... not a fact. But, I am nonetheless curious
why that is your opinion? Why can't something as complex as
a human exist without an 'intelligent cause'?

Thanks,

-CC

assuming there was grace to begin with...

Originally posted by tiassa
I saw Raithere, somewhere in there, finally get around to the point that it's okay to say, "I don't know" in the scientific fields as well as in the atheistic arena. However, that's as close as I'm seeing this debate get to anything substantive.
Actually, the topic started off rather clearly. Lady posted a series of questions to which there were quite a few responses to which she posted more questions. What soon became abundantly clear is that Lady really has no knowledge of the sciences at all. When she starts querying about the life force of the sun it's time to realize that her scientific education is astoundingly incomplete.

At this point one wonders what the purpose is to continuing the thread. We may perhaps consider it a method of educating Lady, but as such it is poorly lacking. Throw into the mix muscleman's dull-witted interjections and soon any semblance to an actual discussion crumbles into a tit-for-tat argument as you quite rightly pointed out.

Science is an ongoing investigation of the natural Universe. We look because it is a vital human process. We continue because we do not know everything.
Scientific inquiry is an unfinished process. Christian doctrine is a finished process. To wit:
• After the canonization of the Bible, what changes Christian principle, aside from whimsy?
• After the institution and recognition of the scientific process, what changes the scientific perspective?
Regarding science, I think you did a rather good job already. I would simply point out that science is a methodology or process rather than a body of knowledge or set of beliefs. The predominating beliefs tend to change over time... usually towards a more complete understanding of an existing concept but sometimes including a radical shift.

What I don't think you addressed properly is the flexibility of religion. A simple historic observance demonstrates a radical shifts in Christian principles. Interpretation becomes the key principal of change. But whereas you describe this as a simple definitional change I see it as an intrinsic shift of ethics. At which point we need to ask what drives these changes in interpretation. This becomes a larger issue when we recognize that the interpretations are derived from predominant social ethics.

I also see it as an invalidation of religious truth. That is, religion simply becomes a framework to which current societally driven ethics are attached... something used simply as validation of what one already believes. If one believes that certain sets of people are more valuable than others they will find the validation they seek... the same with central doctrines of law, love, redemption, sin, etc.

They're very basic questions, some of which have direct answers and some of which do not. But we cannot pretend to have enough information to answer some of these questions, and I'm really quite disappointed at the amount of effort lent to such considerations. I had thought my fellow posters generally smarter than that.
Personally, I think you are simply expecting too much and a bit hypocritical as well. There are plenty of examples of you adding fuel to the fire and responding in an argumentative fashion. We've also tried to engage each other in some deeper conversations at various points but most of them either get downed in the noise or seem to snowball until they become to large to engage in a limited amount of time. Most of the people here are here for the enjoyment of argument... to which the moronic arguments of some are simply easy targets. Bashing simpletons over the head may not be very productive but even you must agree that it can be fun.

Be that as it may, I too am getting rather frustrated and bored with muscleman's posts and the slew of responses he evokes each time. I mean, this level of idiocy is really one for the books... of course it seems mostly to be troll bait and rather good bait at that seeing as he continues to get responses.

~Raithere

Golden Mushroom Soapbox

Actually, the topic started off rather clearly. Lady posted a series of questions to which there were quite a few responses to which she posted more questions. What soon became abundantly clear is that Lady really has no knowledge of the sciences at all. When she starts querying about the life force of the sun it's time to realize that her scientific education is astoundingly incomplete.
I agree, I agree. Where my wrath spills out in Lady's direction is in the asking of a question that depended on the answers to other questions. Questions about human origins and universal origin have the luxury of looking to the terms of her eleventh question--the ongoing process. In the long run, I would point toward a long-standing indictment I have against Christianity in general: for all the grand and not-so-grand attempts to intellectualize, realize, and finalize notions of the Biblical deity, there is a prevailing trend toward such simplistic errors. When one recognizes an ongoing process, such as scientific inquiry, it is a little problematic at least to ask for the finished products of an unfinished process. Thus, I see the following questions as erroneous:

(1) Logically explain the origin's of human& animal evolution? I'm disappointed at the talk-show aspect of this part of the discussion. How specific do people want to be? What I provided is a rough sketch based on information available to me, and if anyone has information suggesting a different approach, that's valid, too. But in all the time I've followed Sciforums' evolution debates, I've seen a focus on the resolution of issues that cannot answer the question. Sure it's well enough to point out horse bones and so forth, but proving that a debunking of equine fossils is false only shows the falsity of the debunking. What the whole picture adds up to is important. I just gave a reasonable but rough sketch of the evolutionary process without invoking God. If a silly li'l theist like me can do it ...?

(2) Who or what initated the big bang? How is it that the earth was designed for the human make-up? While I have respect for Xelios, I would invite you to look at his 10/11/02 (first) reply to the topic: No one and nothing. Time started at the Big Bang, there was no "before". And then I would invite you to look at Tony1's response. On the one hand, Xelios' reply was as religious as an assertion of God. To the other, and perhaps more sad, is the fact that T1 can't exploit the point effectively. (That latter is a lesson of what style brings when elevated above substance.) Twenty hours later, they're still arguing the pointless point. Now, this is just a small example, but it finds its root in a stylistic fault (at best) or a failure to recognize the difference (at worst). What, then, when we repeat this process through several separate posting relationships? Add the aforementioned Muscleman into the mix and it spells a mess of distractions. Perhaps you'll see that it's more of a thematic problem I have with the topic than mere specifics. But we'll get to that, as I see a chance to address that point directly.

6) Who or what would you say is the designer of this complex universe and all that is in it? There seems to be a tendency among the responses to sympathize with Lady's topic presumption that there is a conclusive answer, or a reasonably speculative answer.

I also wanted to point out that the answers to question 10 sympathized too directly with the question, as well. There seems to be a presumption that science can even examine God.
What I don't think you addressed properly is the flexibility of religion. A simple historic observance demonstrates a radical shifts in Christian principles.
What new issues has (especially) Christianity put before us? There is a core of dogmatic beliefs which have persisted for two-thousand years, and the apparent differences in stylistic execution come, I think, from a redefinition of terms. Nobody wakes up truly deciding to be evil. Hitler believed he was working toward a better end. It wasn't about the power to commit evil, but the delusion that he was pursuing some good. Among Christians? Lon Mabon doesn't see himself as an oppressor, but rather as one who fights for what is good and right and proper. Bob Larsen doesn't think of himself as exploiting psychologically vulnerable people for money and politics; he sees himself as one who combats wrongdoing. He didn't see himself as a censor or a liar, but as an advocate of propriety and rightness. The flexibility is in human psychology, not the dogmatic religious structure. (Speaking of which, I saw Dogma last night on ComCent. Think of it this way: Kevin Smith didn't have to build a new dogmatic structure to exploit. What he did was already available, and depended merely on matters of perspective and psychology.)

The Nicene Creed was settled in 325CE, and focuses on certain points of faith:

- Biblical inerrancy: On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures and He has spoken through the Prophets.

- Virgin Birth: he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man.

- Resurrection: For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again ....

- Atonement for sin: We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

- Second Coming: He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

That's from Nicaea, in 325 CE. Flash-forward 1600 years:
Fundamentalism was coined in 1920 by Curtis Lee Laws, the editor of a Baptist periodical called the Watchman-Examiner. He used the term to designate a broad conservative movement made up of various groups within American Protestantism. It stated its position in a series of brochures, "The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth," which appeared between 1910 and 1915. Published by leading conservative theologians of the time, approximately three million of these tracts were disseminated. Sixty-four authors--theologians, preachers, and missionaries--contributed ninety articles, which discussed contested points of dogma primarily in the defense of biblical literalism.

This new movement represented a minimal consensus among various conservative positions rather than an independent, closed theological system. Unanimity was founded on five fundamentals of faith. The most important point was the infallibility of the Bible, which was considered the verbally inspired word of God and consequently was to be interpreted literally, not symbolically. The other four principles of faith--the Virgin Birth, the Resurrection, Christ's proxy atonement of sin, and the Second Coming--were concerned with making precise the claims of biblical literalism .....
You and I have discussed accretions before. Liberal Christianity, loving-God theory, and all manner of odd doctrine come from those fundamental points. One need not be fundamentalist per se in order to adhere to those points. While some liberal interpretations of Christianity would seem based in symbolism, not literal considerations, you'll notice the ends to which such apologists will go to make the connections obvious and as direct as possible. (Sometimes it just won't work that way, but that's still a perceptual argument.) In the end, we might pull from fundamentalist American Protestantism the same we find in formative Catholicism. After 1600 years and more, the basic structure hasn't changed. If Christ returned, would American Christians really believe him? Would they demand miracles like the ancient Jews and pagans?

There is an American firearm debate point that goes: When the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment, they had no idea that things like AK-47's would ever exist. It's a fine argument, but has its faults. Rather than a criticism of that point specifically, I hope to use it in a parallel sense: Did the person or persons composing the Jesus legend have any idea what people would do to their faith structure? Could the bishops at Nicaea, or even the Fundamentalists of the American 1920s really predict the kind of lunacy that would take place? Given that Millerites and SDA's and other splinter sects were already in effect in 1920, we might speculate that there is no reason why the Fundamentalists should not have known what would happen and what people would do to their faith declarations.

However, looking to the consistency of that faith structure, I can see how they underestimated the effect. Lacking any sense of true harmony, the Fundamentalist could well overlook the metaphysical conditions whereby something is what it is not. In the sense of liberal Christian interpretation, we see that the symbolic can actually be the literal. Why? Because there is no literal unless you're the first person to ever conceive of the words. Then and only then is there a truly literal definition. It's a metaphysical progression that the Christian structure appears to lack. I truly do think that the interior structures have not changed. The psychological interdependence of the people--now that has changed.

Other religions are, indeed, far more flexible in relation to the natural world, and thus are far more adaptive. I'll acknowledge that point, as I generally always have.
I also see it as an invalidation of religious truth. That is, religion simply becomes a framework to which current societally driven ethics are attached... something used simply as validation of what one already believes.
This seems to be observably true in life. Part of this condition comes from the inflexibility and specificity of Christianity. Other religions with less-exacting specifics seem much more flexible and adaptive. Take Islam, for instance, which hit a wall a while ago: it's taking them a while to dig themselves out of this hole. The religion, for various reasons (including economy & education) simply failed to appropriately address real issues in a way that could compel people toward the intended result. Christianity is cracking for similar reasons. In the Information Age, it might go to the grave sooner, buried beneath the weight of knowledge. But when a religion demands a method despite the observable detriment, there is much to be considered. Without successful resolutions to those considerations--relevance, priority, &c.--the religion will die.
Personally, I think you are simply expecting too much and a bit hypocritical as well. There are plenty of examples of you adding fuel to the fire and responding in an argumentative fashion.
I'm aware I'm expecting too much. So why is it hypocritical when I step off my Golden Soapbox and try to communicate with the vulgar masses? I could just keep shouting from my vantage point, but every once in a while you have to take to the streets and feel the pulse of the world.

You'll notice that I do learn occasionally. I don't spend much time directly engaging Tony1, for instance, because it's an exercise in idiocy, as it seems Xelios has encountered.

But what do people want? I can keep pointing to the data that they don't wish to consider because it means they can't be as basic and insulting. I can just sit up on my mushroom and condemn the lot in language more harsh than I have. But what good does it do? If people can't understand, or don't want to understand, they won't understand. Do people resent that I will come down and tread through the gutters with them? Then they shouldn't ask for it to be that way.
We've also tried to engage each other in some deeper conversations at various points but most of them either get downed in the noise or seem to snowball until they become to large to engage in a limited amount of time.
We might as well be trying to have a quiet conversation in a kindergarten some days. It happens. At least by my big-stick theory, we get some space for reasonable discussion.
Most of the people here are here for the enjoyment of argument... to which the moronic arguments of some are simply easy targets.
Well, it's kind of like comedy in the 1980s. It became kind of like a church. It used to be that if someone said something funny, you laughed. But then people got dumber and decided, This person is a comedian. Comedians say funny things. He must be funny when he's speaking.

I'm sure you've noticed the trend. Sure the jokes were scrubbed clean for the Leave it to Beaver generation, but you can find intelligent comedy in television history. But it was harder to do, kind of like good argument. So the networks opted for "popular" comedy, and you see the result. Sometimes I think my generation is viciously laughing at our parents; we make a point of finding it funny because our parents didn't like that kind of talk. It really does seem that neurotic.

Nonetheless, everybody arguing here fancies themselves a little bit CNN or PBS. One thing I'll give my fellow posters is that they do have interesting things to talk about. But are people merely aiming for a ratings game? Are they finding greater enjoyment in a lower standard of debate? Why would they? Does it really come down to feeling better or worse? While I admit there's some power in that part of it, I can't imagine coming here just to rag on people; it seems stupid beyond belief, so I can't presume that of anyone else, either. But how to postulate that, anyway? What do I see when I look around? From there it's semantics: how I word the question has all the value in the world as to whether or not there is an answer to be had.
Bashing simpletons over the head may not be very productive but even you must agree that it can be fun.
Bashing simpletons seems to be an unfortunate necessity of human dynamic interaction. Insofar as we're going to bother to have standards, we must respect them to some degree. Hence, the necessity of bashing simpletons. But it really does look like people are muddying around Simpletown waiting for a chance to sport-hunt.

If I respect one's ability to bash a simpleton ... well? Even simpletons can bash each other. Doesn't make 'em smarter.
Be that as it may, I too am getting rather frustrated and bored with muscleman's posts and the slew of responses he evokes each time. I mean, this level of idiocy is really one for the books... of course it seems mostly to be troll bait and rather good bait at that seeing as he continues to get responses.
Ever see one of those posts where I talk about how people fear in others what they fear in themselves? How we find ways of projecting fear onto others? I always wonder, for instance, how dirty and obsessed are the minds of the anti-sex music censors. While admittedly the game has a different rhetorical form today, it's still the same old crap. But I got some good ideas for perversity reading through conservative complaints about music. In the end, I would assert that the big problem with a Muscleman, or Sir Loone, or T1 or KalvinB is that people didn't get from them remotely what was expected. Even when people disagree with us, we have some expectation of how. But such an onslaught of disrespectful vacuity is disturbing. However, such occasions are also revealing. I always like it when T1 or someone else says, "I never said that." You don't have to is the thing. If I think Jews should be put in boxcars and rolled off to death camps, you might say that I have no respect for human life. Of course, I can look you in the eye and say, "I never said that." I didn't have to, though. The condition is inherent in the statement about Jews.

People show more than they realize when they hide behind chap façades and simplistic deflective rhetoric. For instance the most obvious thing they show is that they're hiding. No, they don't have to say they are. They just have to do it.

And here's another thing for you to chuckle at, Raithere: Look at the points I'm discussing--how fine of distinctions are these? Are my standards too high? I just don't see what's so hard about it for the most part of this debate.

Okay, following a bong rip I must take a breath and try a slightly quieter route.

We all have our moments of idiocy, aggression, and outright insanity. But they really are the standard fare here. There is little rational discussion in the Religion, World Events, or Ethics forums. In WE or Ethics, you can usually pick it out. The sloppy fare is thick, but not utterly dominating. The majority of the remainder is a certain kind of rhetorical jockeying, a compressed sound-bite chess game. But in here, the Religion forum, the slop is enough to drown us all. And it seems to have done just that.

The topic as such, then:

• Yes, Lady's questions are largely excellent for discussion.
• Yes, Lady's questions have a loaded end.
• Yes, Lady's questions often ignored an acknowledged condition.
• And while I'm all for expanding Lady's or anyone's horizons, I really don't see that happening very well.
• I chose to criticize the topic because the best response going to that point started with the phrase, "I'm not an atheist." Sure, the answers were a little brief and often begged the question, but this human foible is recognized--after all, he's not an atheist ;)
• (Yes, there is a certain amount of humor in that last point, although there is a certain macabre about the necessity of such a disclaimer as this.)
• (Yes, that bong rip is at play, so I'd best be wrapping up shortly.)

And perhaps one of the reasons I'm being so damned self-righteous with this is that I can write a better atheistic position for this topic than I've seen the atheists present. And it's rather quite easy. That tells me people just aren't trying. For substance or humor.

Disturbing, that.

The problem is that it would be equally embarrassing to be identified as an "atheist" according to the atheistic expressions I've encountered over the last while here at Sciforums as it would be to be identified as a Christian according to the standard of my living experience.

It lends evidence toward the idea that it's a human problem, and not one of labels and classifications. I should be happy at a progressive realization, but frankly it frightens me.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Muzzleman:

WTF, I'm just going to ignore everything you say from now on. You are obviously an adement idiot and won't give up your cause. I have tried to ask you questions, you have ignored them. You call me a lier and talk to me like you have more than zero proponants on your side. I'm not going to listen to you babble on and on. You obviously do not understand simple scientific concepts like forces and how they work.

"What evidence do u have of tooth fairy? How many eyewitnesses? Millions? If tooth fairies plucked out a teeth, is there any scientific investigation done to it?

You refer to crap like this and claim atheists are stupid. Atheists don't believe in the toothfairy dipshit!

I can respect that you don't take the bible at face value, and I can understand, even relate to, your idea of using proof as your guide. Yet you have hoplessly flawed and circular logic.

I would rather not listen to your super-caps and long unbroken epochs. Good bye.

As for everyone else, I'm tired of reading such long posts so i just didn't sorry.

Originally posted by Frencheneesz
Lady:

"*** If we just evolved from nowhere sex isn't neccesary. "

First of all, we didn't "just evolve from nowhere". Second of all, sex developed for faster evolution. And no, the little bacteria did not go "Hey, man, lets get together, well evolve faster!". What did happen is: Some life evolved sex and some did not. The ones that evolved faster lived, the ones that didn't died.

Why would faster evolution help a speicies live? Well, If you were cloned millions upon millions of times (like a bacteria does), then when a virus came along that effected one and killed it, ALL OF HIS CLONES WOULD BE KILLED TOO! So, when we have sexual reproduciton, every child is different. Some may have resitance to a virus that kills his siblings. That is why sex evolved.

** Did the bacteria think of this?

Re: Lady...

Originally posted by Crunchy Cat
**** Upon asking atheist to state why they hold to the postion of the non-existence of God I have heard many things and am confused. I being a believer in God through personal proof is the strongest reasoning for my position. However, those who haven't had a encounter with God can't attribute the origins of the universe and all that is in it to God, which leads to confusion and much questioning.It is a fact that the universe was here before I and any other human-being and that we are not responsible for its existence. I don't understand why people would rather attribute something to nothing.Some atheist believe that our origins just evolved out of nothing. Personally, that theory goes against logic.....something can't come out of nothing. Nor could I get a logical explanation on evolution& sex. I understand that atheist don't believe in Genesis,however, it explains how sex came about. And if Genesis isn't accurate and our origins just evolved, than sex would not be neccessary(even now).Why does the program change from evolution without sex to evolution with sex? ****

Q1: I don't understand why people would rather attribute
something to nothing.
A1: You must be talking about the univers. I personally have no
idea how it all got started (or if the concept of 'started' even
applies). The 'Big Bang' theory sounds ok... but its just a
theory and our conclusion on the observable data we've
collected may be wrong. To complicate things, we are beings
who experience in 4 dimensions. Length, Width, Depth, and
Time. Our universe provides these dimensions and our bodies
perceive them. Of course anything outside of what our
Universe provides (assuming the concept exists) is unknown to
us at the moment.

Q2: Nor could I get a logical explanation on evolution& sex?
A2: This is just hypothsis, but 2 or more those amino acid
programs that just keep on changing over time probably were
chemically attracted to each other during their current
reproduction process and their offspring had a mixture of both
programs. The offspring was also probably successful in the
environment at that time and of course they had the chemical
programming to mix it up with other chemical programs during
their reproduction process.

In any event... I was not there and did not see it happen,
but it makes sense that something like I just mentioned could
have been the beginning of sex. Don't forget we still have
A-sexual life forms on the planet today so not everything
reproduces by having sex.

Q3: Some atheist believe that our origins just evolved out of
nothing. Personally, that theory goes against
logic.....something can't come out of nothing?
A3: 'Our' origins? I tend to think that evolution is a good
explanation of our origins. It doesn't go against logic.

For all those other 'sex' questions see 'A2'.

-CC

** Evolution from what? However if the universe is attributed to nothing ultimately we evolved from nothing. My logic could be all messed up but this is how I understand it.

From amino acids? Are we talking about the inception of Earth
or the inception of the Universe?... 2 completely seperate
concepts.

-CC

tiassa,

I agree with you that many athiest arguments are just crap; however, when reviewing some of the thiest's answers one cannot do anything but laugh.

Someone ever went as far as to say that athiests are afraid of christians, because athiests don't want to give up ther drugs, sex, and rock and roll.

Instead of debating the topic, we began taking personal stabs at the other posters.

We have tried to debate personal experiences and things tht make no sece debating.

A christian will be a christian based on faith, and an athiest will be an athiest based on what they believe.

If we cannot post on something of importance besides "well you just stupid" then the thread needs to be closed.

It's just a matter of expectations

I agree with you that many athiest arguments are just crap; however, when reviewing some of the thiest's answers one cannot do anything but laugh.
But people don't laugh .... Oh, well.

But the most direct and least polite way to put it is that I expect more of atheists. (A) They're supposed to be smarter (we've had debates about that here before), (B) they're the ones citing objectivity.

By those two criteria I do admittedly come to expect more of atheists. But I'm learning that that first criterion is utterly subjective and the second seems irrelevant to them.

If I'm hard on the atheists it's because their theistic opposition is popping routine flyballs one after another, and our atheists are muffing the catches.

A can of corn can still bruise the brainpan if it's not caught properly.

thanx,

Originally posted by CounslerCoffee
As we describe the death of a human, many of the body's parts are still alive. Hair and nails continue to grow well after the brain is "dead". The cells continue to live as long as they get food. Thus proving your life force wrong. If it is right, then a human has millions of life forces, and not a single "one".

Really? Im going to start going to the morgue to pick up chicks...LITERALLY!!!

notme2000

First off, I don't recommed dead chicks, they turn to dust, nails and all.

"** Did the bacteria think of this?"

Noone thought of "this". What happened is that amino acids and a bunch of other crap that was in early earth came together in trillions upon trillions of combinations over billions of years. ONE of these trillions of combinations was able to reproduce.

In reproduction, the DNA gets jacked up a little bit all the time. Mutation arises from this and we get diffent organisms. Sex first started off as self-sex (weirrrrdd). There were no partners. Like today, flowers polinate themselves a lot of the time. Evolutions does a bunch of random crap, thats why the earth is so diverse.

"However if the universe is attributed to nothing ultimately we evolved from nothing. "

We don't say the universe came out of nowhere. We DO NOT KNOW where it came from, but we hope to find out.

"they turn to dust, nails and all."

Not really, most people and other living things get eaten by bacteria.

Originally posted by Crunchy Cat
From amino acids? Are we talking about the inception of Earth
or the inception of the Universe?... 2 completely seperate
concepts.

-CC

Origins of life, period, heavens or earth your choice. As far as humans I know some think of the monkey which ultimately evolved from" the ulmighty nothing." Amino Acids, don't know all the elements of the human body, don't care, however something can't evolve from nothing. I don't expect you to answer my curosity's..sorry human.

Re: Golden Mushroom Soapbox

Originally posted by tiassa
I agree, I agree. Where my wrath spills out in Lady's direction is in the asking of a question that depended on the answers to other questions. Questions about human origins and universal origin have the luxury of looking to the terms of her eleventh question--the ongoing process. In the long run, I would point toward a long-standing indictment I have against Christianity in general: for all the grand and not-so-grand attempts to intellectualize, realize, and finalize notions of the Biblical deity, there is a prevailing trend toward such simplistic errors. When one recognizes an ongoing process, such as scientific inquiry, it is a little problematic at least to ask for the finished products of an unfinished process. Thus, I see the following questions as erroneous:

(1) Logically explain the origin's of human& animal evolution? I'm disappointed at the talk-show aspect of this part of the discussion. How specific do people want to be? What I provided is a rough sketch based on information available to me, and if anyone has information suggesting a different approach, that's valid, too. But in all the time I've followed Sciforums' evolution debates, I've seen a focus on the resolution of issues that cannot answer the question. Sure it's well enough to point out horse bones and so forth, but proving that a debunking of equine fossils is false only shows the falsity of the debunking. What the whole picture adds up to is important. I just gave a reasonable but rough sketch of the evolutionary process without invoking God. If a silly li'l theist like me can do it ...?

(2) Who or what initated the big bang? How is it that the earth was designed for the human make-up? While I have respect for Xelios, I would invite you to look at his 10/11/02 (first) reply to the topic: No one and nothing. Time started at the Big Bang, there was no "before". And then I would invite you to look at Tony1's response. On the one hand, Xelios' reply was as religious as an assertion of God. To the other, and perhaps more sad, is the fact that T1 can't exploit the point effectively. (That latter is a lesson of what style brings when elevated above substance.) Twenty hours later, they're still arguing the pointless point. Now, this is just a small example, but it finds its root in a stylistic fault (at best) or a failure to recognize the difference (at worst). What, then, when we repeat this process through several separate posting relationships? Add the aforementioned Muscleman into the mix and it spells a mess of distractions. Perhaps you'll see that it's more of a thematic problem I have with the topic than mere specifics. But we'll get to that, as I see a chance to address that point directly.

6) Who or what would you say is the designer of this complex universe and all that is in it? There seems to be a tendency among the responses to sympathize with Lady's topic presumption that there is a conclusive answer, or a reasonably speculative answer.

I also wanted to point out that the answers to question 10 sympathized too directly with the question, as well. There seems to be a presumption that science can even examine God.What new issues has (especially) Christianity put before us? There is a core of dogmatic beliefs which have persisted for two-thousand years, and the apparent differences in stylistic execution come, I think, from a redefinition of terms. Nobody wakes up truly deciding to be evil. Hitler believed he was working toward a better end. It wasn't about the power to commit evil, but the delusion that he was pursuing some good. Among Christians? Lon Mabon doesn't see himself as an oppressor, but rather as one who fights for what is good and right and proper. Bob Larsen doesn't think of himself as exploiting psychologically vulnerable people for money and politics; he sees himself as one who combats wrongdoing. He didn't see himself as a censor or a liar, but as an advocate of propriety and rightness. The flexibility is in human psychology, not the dogmatic religious structure. (Speaking of which, I saw Dogma last night on ComCent. Think of it this way: Kevin Smith didn't have to build a new dogmatic structure to exploit. What he did was already available, and depended merely on matters of perspective and psychology.)

The Nicene Creed was settled in 325CE, and focuses on certain points of faith:

- Biblical inerrancy: On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures and He has spoken through the Prophets.

- Virgin Birth: he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man.

- Resurrection: For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again ....

- Atonement for sin: We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

- Second Coming: He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

That's from Nicaea, in 325 CE. Flash-forward 1600 years:You and I have discussed accretions before. Liberal Christianity, loving-God theory, and all manner of odd doctrine come from those fundamental points. One need not be fundamentalist per se in order to adhere to those points. While some liberal interpretations of Christianity would seem based in symbolism, not literal considerations, you'll notice the ends to which such apologists will go to make the connections obvious and as direct as possible. (Sometimes it just won't work that way, but that's still a perceptual argument.) In the end, we might pull from fundamentalist American Protestantism the same we find in formative Catholicism. After 1600 years and more, the basic structure hasn't changed. If Christ returned, would American Christians really believe him? Would they demand miracles like the ancient Jews and pagans?

There is an American firearm debate point that goes: When the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment, they had no idea that things like AK-47's would ever exist. It's a fine argument, but has its faults. Rather than a criticism of that point specifically, I hope to use it in a parallel sense: Did the person or persons composing the Jesus legend have any idea what people would do to their faith structure? Could the bishops at Nicaea, or even the Fundamentalists of the American 1920s really predict the kind of lunacy that would take place? Given that Millerites and SDA's and other splinter sects were already in effect in 1920, we might speculate that there is no reason why the Fundamentalists should not have known what would happen and what people would do to their faith declarations.

However, looking to the consistency of that faith structure, I can see how they underestimated the effect. Lacking any sense of true harmony, the Fundamentalist could well overlook the metaphysical conditions whereby something is what it is not. In the sense of liberal Christian interpretation, we see that the symbolic can actually be the literal. Why? Because there is no literal unless you're the first person to ever conceive of the words. Then and only then is there a truly literal definition. It's a metaphysical progression that the Christian structure appears to lack. I truly do think that the interior structures have not changed. The psychological interdependence of the people--now that has changed.

Other religions are, indeed, far more flexible in relation to the natural world, and thus are far more adaptive. I'll acknowledge that point, as I generally always have.This seems to be observably true in life. Part of this condition comes from the inflexibility and specificity of Christianity. Other religions with less-exacting specifics seem much more flexible and adaptive. Take Islam, for instance, which hit a wall a while ago: it's taking them a while to dig themselves out of this hole. The religion, for various reasons (including economy & education) simply failed to appropriately address real issues in a way that could compel people toward the intended result. Christianity is cracking for similar reasons. In the Information Age, it might go to the grave sooner, buried beneath the weight of knowledge. But when a religion demands a method despite the observable detriment, there is much to be considered. Without successful resolutions to those considerations--relevance, priority, &c.--the religion will die.I'm aware I'm expecting too much. So why is it hypocritical when I step off my Golden Soapbox and try to communicate with the vulgar masses? I could just keep shouting from my vantage point, but every once in a while you have to take to the streets and feel the pulse of the world.

You'll notice that I do learn occasionally. I don't spend much time directly engaging Tony1, for instance, because it's an exercise in idiocy, as it seems Xelios has encountered.

But what do people want? I can keep pointing to the data that they don't wish to consider because it means they can't be as basic and insulting. I can just sit up on my mushroom and condemn the lot in language more harsh than I have. But what good does it do? If people can't understand, or don't want to understand, they won't understand. Do people resent that I will come down and tread through the gutters with them? Then they shouldn't ask for it to be that way.We might as well be trying to have a quiet conversation in a kindergarten some days. It happens. At least by my big-stick theory, we get some space for reasonable discussion.Well, it's kind of like comedy in the 1980s. It became kind of like a church. It used to be that if someone said something funny, you laughed. But then people got dumber and decided, This person is a comedian. Comedians say funny things. He must be funny when he's speaking.

I'm sure you've noticed the trend. Sure the jokes were scrubbed clean for the Leave it to Beaver generation, but you can find intelligent comedy in television history. But it was harder to do, kind of like good argument. So the networks opted for "popular" comedy, and you see the result. Sometimes I think my generation is viciously laughing at our parents; we make a point of finding it funny because our parents didn't like that kind of talk. It really does seem that neurotic.

Nonetheless, everybody arguing here fancies themselves a little bit CNN or PBS. One thing I'll give my fellow posters is that they do have interesting things to talk about. But are people merely aiming for a ratings game? Are they finding greater enjoyment in a lower standard of debate? Why would they? Does it really come down to feeling better or worse? While I admit there's some power in that part of it, I can't imagine coming here just to rag on people; it seems stupid beyond belief, so I can't presume that of anyone else, either. But how to postulate that, anyway? What do I see when I look around? From there it's semantics: how I word the question has all the value in the world as to whether or not there is an answer to be had.Bashing simpletons seems to be an unfortunate necessity of human dynamic interaction. Insofar as we're going to bother to have standards, we must respect them to some degree. Hence, the necessity of bashing simpletons. But it really does look like people are muddying around Simpletown waiting for a chance to sport-hunt.

If I respect one's ability to bash a simpleton ... well? Even simpletons can bash each other. Doesn't make 'em smarter.Ever see one of those posts where I talk about how people fear in others what they fear in themselves? How we find ways of projecting fear onto others? I always wonder, for instance, how dirty and obsessed are the minds of the anti-sex music censors. While admittedly the game has a different rhetorical form today, it's still the same old crap. But I got some good ideas for perversity reading through conservative complaints about music. In the end, I would assert that the big problem with a Muscleman, or Sir Loone, or T1 or KalvinB is that people didn't get from them remotely what was expected. Even when people disagree with us, we have some expectation of how. But such an onslaught of disrespectful vacuity is disturbing. However, such occasions are also revealing. I always like it when T1 or someone else says, "I never said that." You don't have to is the thing. If I think Jews should be put in boxcars and rolled off to death camps, you might say that I have no respect for human life. Of course, I can look you in the eye and say, "I never said that." I didn't have to, though. The condition is inherent in the statement about Jews.

People show more than they realize when they hide behind chap façades and simplistic deflective rhetoric. For instance the most obvious thing they show is that they're hiding. No, they don't have to say they are. They just have to do it.

And here's another thing for you to chuckle at, Raithere: Look at the points I'm discussing--how fine of distinctions are these? Are my standards too high? I just don't see what's so hard about it for the most part of this debate.

Okay, following a bong rip I must take a breath and try a slightly quieter route.

We all have our moments of idiocy, aggression, and outright insanity. But they really are the standard fare here. There is little rational discussion in the Religion, World Events, or Ethics forums. In WE or Ethics, you can usually pick it out. The sloppy fare is thick, but not utterly dominating. The majority of the remainder is a certain kind of rhetorical jockeying, a compressed sound-bite chess game. But in here, the Religion forum, the slop is enough to drown us all. And it seems to have done just that.

The topic as such, then:

• Yes, Lady's questions are largely excellent for discussion.
• Yes, Lady's questions have a loaded end.
• Yes, Lady's questions often ignored an acknowledged condition.
• And while I'm all for expanding Lady's or anyone's horizons, I really don't see that happening very well.
• I chose to criticize the topic because the best response going to that point started with the phrase, "I'm not an atheist." Sure, the answers were a little brief and often begged the question, but this human foible is recognized--after all, he's not an atheist ;)
• (Yes, there is a certain amount of humor in that last point, although there is a certain macabre about the necessity of such a disclaimer as this.)
• (Yes, that bong rip is at play, so I'd best be wrapping up shortly.)

And perhaps one of the reasons I'm being so damned self-righteous with this is that I can write a better atheistic position for this topic than I've seen the atheists present. And it's rather quite easy. That tells me people just aren't trying. For substance or humor.

Disturbing, that.

The problem is that it would be equally embarrassing to be identified as an "atheist" according to the atheistic expressions I've encountered over the last while here at Sciforums as it would be to be identified as a Christian according to the standard of my living experience.

It lends evidence toward the idea that it's a human problem, and not one of labels and classifications. I should be happy at a progressive realization, but frankly it frightens me.

thanx,

Tiassa,

** First, it should be against the law to write a post that long.

** Wrath? we mustn't be satanic.

** Science will always be unfinished, no fought of our own, unfortunately, people put to much faith in people, yes I said people(mere mortals) nothing against humans, we have managed the atomic bomb( that ought be a hoot) legally jack the price up on death(cigaretts) sounds sinistery evil, but everybody has a price, nevertheless, an atheist opinion was wanted, not only the scientific view which I have heard, quite sick of the mechanics, however, the" uncertanity"ranging from monkeys, abiogensis, evolution from the big nothing and thusfar,whichever, its an atheist point of view, however your analysis comming from what point of view? And for the of love God don't write no long post.

Back