atheism leads to no purpose in living

The purpose of life is the same for theists as it is for atheists - pleasure.

No one can endure or tolerate anything for very long unless some degree of pleasure is involved.

Some are content to do nothing with their lives, others are motivated to be great leaders or inventors, etc, etc. The common factor in every case is the pleasure principal.

For the religious folks they gain pleasure from believing there is a higher purpose and that they are a part of a grand plan, or variations on that theme.

Atheists generally realize that life is short and that they might as well make the most of what they have.

Without a pleasure motivation or a hope of future pleasure we would simply give up and let ourselves die. This is the fundamental reason for suicides.

-----

If you do a reach a heaven and you think the purpose of your life was ultimately to be able look back at yourself, then consider that you are likely to only be alive for a few decades whereas a soul is usually considered eternal. Won't you become incredibly bored after a few trillion years of dwelling on a few miniscule decades?

But once you are dead there will be no danger of being able to look back anyway - memory is a function of brain activity and as a spirit/soul you won't have a brain so you will not be able to remember anything, similarly for thinking and experiencing emotions, you won't have those either.

The key point with these style of questions from a theist is the absence of a longer term perspective. If you do achieve an afterlife and experience a utopian eternal paradise, then what? What will be your purpose in such an eternal existence? If you believe there is anything other than a search for pleasure then you will be trying to find a purpose for eternity.

Why does there not have to be a point?

I asked you first. :)

To me the point of my life is to have a child who is able to have more children. Carrying on my genes/family/species.
Happiness or sadness, pleasure or suffering are just concepts that come from being able to think and analyse in detail.

I asked you first. :)

To me the point of my life is to have a child who is able to have more children. Carrying on my genes/family/species.
Happiness or sadness, pleasure or suffering are just concepts that come from being able to think and analyse in detail.

I hope humanity more and more works out a substitute pleasure for the tendency to reproduce, seeing how the ecosystem is losing its sustainability very quickly.

Again, why does it not matter? My logic behind this idea is simply this, what is the point of doing something if you can't even remember it?
Perhaps because regardless of whether you remember it or not, it could still be the right thing to do? Which should be far more important than being able to sit back and watch it.

No, not to me. Especially if you don't get to see the long term results if what you've done if you've done something extraordinary. (this must be one of the internal differences between theists and atheists)
So in other words if you don't get to see the effects of a good act, you won't do it? Yep, sounds like the difference between theists and atheists is very clear. Atheists do good things through love and kindness, theists do good things through fear and the desire for reward. :shrug:

Man these threads are murder. Bashing, bashing, bashing. No one's going to win, people. It won't happen.

The purpose of life is the same for theists as it is for atheists - pleasure.

No one can endure or tolerate anything for very long unless some degree of pleasure is involved.

Some are content to do nothing with their lives, others are motivated to be great leaders or inventors, etc, etc. The common factor in every case is the pleasure principal.

For the religious folks they gain pleasure from believing there is a higher purpose and that they are a part of a grand plan, or variations on that theme.

Atheists generally realize that life is short and that they might as well make the most of what they have.

Without a pleasure motivation or a hope of future pleasure we would simply give up and let ourselves die. This is the fundamental reason for suicides.

-----

If you do a reach a heaven and you think the purpose of your life was ultimately to be able look back at yourself, then consider that you are likely to only be alive for a few decades whereas a soul is usually considered eternal. Won't you become incredibly bored after a few trillion years of dwelling on a few miniscule decades?

But once you are dead there will be no danger of being able to look back anyway - memory is a function of brain activity and as a spirit/soul you won't have a brain so you will not be able to remember anything, similarly for thinking and experiencing emotions, you won't have those either.

The key point with these style of questions from a theist is the absence of a longer term perspective. If you do achieve an afterlife and experience a utopian eternal paradise, then what? What will be your purpose in such an eternal existence? If you believe there is anything other than a search for pleasure then you will be trying to find a purpose for eternity.

Theists in my experience just want others to confirm that they are right! The more people theists convince the righter they feel!

Theists in my experience just want others to confirm that they are right! The more people theists convince the righter they feel!
Not quite, since they are not looking for consent, and neither are atheists with their perspective. In both cases it is an ego trip - the pleasure of feeling "right" and "superior" when confronting others with something about which they are entrenched and convinced.

Not quite, since they are not looking for consent, and neither are atheists with their perspective. In both cases it is an ego trip - the pleasure of feeling "right" and "superior" when confronting others with something about which they are entrenched and convinced.

what is it that makes feeling 'right' and 'superior' such a rush?
and how much of that is a justification to not feel 'wrong' or 'inferior'?

what is it that makes feeling 'right' and 'superior' such a rush?
and how much of that is a justification to not feel 'wrong' or 'inferior'?
Christians, if they were objective, would see it as the sin of pride. I have met Christians in the past who have been very modest and have not tried to convince me of their perspective but have genuinely tried to understand my views, although they have been extremely rare on sites such as this.

But the feeling of "rightness" I strongly suspect comes from our innate instinct for survival and personal defense, i.e. it's an adrenaline rush. The best way to undermine an opposing view is not to confront it head-on (avoid the generation of adrenaline) but to show agreement and consent (generate endorphins, i.e. the pleasure hormones) . The dismantling of the faulty thinking is then subtle but with their unrealized consent.

wouldn't it be great if the truth were obvious, and we could all just agree?

oh wait, that's communion i'm talking about. my bad.

Back