atheism leads to no purpose in living

Herr pi?

Ludolf_van_Ceulen.jpeg

Not quite, since they are not looking for consent, and neither are atheists with their perspective. In both cases it is an ego trip - the pleasure of feeling "right" and "superior" when confronting others with something about which they are entrenched and convinced.

That's a likely psychological explanation. But what about the moral certitude that they've done something good (salvation for another human being)? That's probably expressed as ego also; but then again, isn't every altruistic action then also a maneuver of the ego?

Damnit. I posted something meaningful.

I swear, I tried not to. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

That sandwich is teh awesome.

I think the horse meat was unnecessary, though.

It was a doubly-pertinent post. (C'mon think about it!).
Thus, a pair of boobies.
Oh, I just going to lie down now...

Edit: Blue Steel?
The Jamie Lee Curtis film or the nuclear air-launched missile?

The modeling look made famously ridiculous in Zoolander and copied by lower primates thereafter. Hence my use of it, and the mugshot above.

Edit: doubly pert. Ohh yes.

t what about the moral certitude that they've done something good (salvation for another human being)? That's probably expressed as ego also; but then again, isn't every altruistic action then also a maneuver of the ego?
Yup. And I have argued several times before on these forums; true altruism is not possible. Why would someone do something for another at some cost to themselves? No other reason than it provides them some degree of satisfaction - i.e. pleasure.

What pleasure does one derive from dying to save another?
A moment of pure satisfaction. The theist would expect a reward of course which significantly devalues their potentially noble action. For an atheist - it would be as near to true altruism as any person can imagine.

A moment of pure satisfaction.
I'd think that particular moment could be so short as to be unnoticeable: sandwiched somewhere between "I've got to help! What should I do?" and "Oh shit, I'm dead."
:D

Last edited:
I can imagine a situation where the sacrificing person has a feeling that living with the aftermath of a tragedy would be hard to endure if the person that is endangered dies. That motivation for self-sacrifice would be rooted in former experiences and learning.

Back