As an Atheist what do you teach kids?

When they ask you what happens when you die what do you tell them?,. do you tell them "well see here son when you die worms eat your dead shell and then you never exist again?." or do you cop out and say "I don't know" (borrowing an agnostic teaching)

Atheists don't claim to "know" what happens when you die (unless they are pompous beyond imagination). Admitting ignorance doesn't make one an agnostic. Even Dawkins admits that it is possible that an afterlife and a deity exists, but barring any proof, it is immoral and deceptive to teach that one does.

Simply put, all one need do is explain to children, "Look, all we have is the facts, and the known facts point in the direction of no deity or afterlife. While it's possible, based on what we know it's unlikely especially since no deity or supernatural force has ever shown itself or left any evidence."

Like you would lie about the fake tooth fair and fake easter bunny and fake santa that you all love lying to your kids about.

I would never lie to my kids about a tooth fairy, santa clause or easter bunny. They are lies and thankfully even my religious parents left most of that crap out of our lives.

Or do you just hope they shut up and stop reminding you of your own death secretly that you deep down resent and hate to think about maybe?

Wait. Who are you talking about?

What comfort do you offer a child who lost her parents when she asks you what hapopened to mummy?

First off, everybody lies. Religious people most of all.

Second off, a child need not be lied to about an afterlife to give her comfort at the time of death. My mother died when I was eleven. I remember no such comfort at the thought of an afterlife, my comfort came from the hugs and kisses of a loving family.

Third off, I don't really have a problem with a well placed lie if it sincerely assuages the pain a person feels. We all tell lies. We all live--somewhat--with false perceptions of the world around us. That's jsut life. Recently we (my younger aunt and I) found out that my deceased grandfather's will left the same percentage to a non-relative that he did to his only surviving daughters. My eldest aunt always lamented her father's distant, cold feelings would have been devastated by this fact. We lied to her and told her that her 16.5% of the estate was the largest. Why not? She's 65 years old. Has suffered for the past seven years since my grandfather died.

To quote my grandmother: "What do you hope to get by the actions you are taking?"

Be Honest now Atheists and dont even try lying to me it''s better you just hide from my question and not even dare come into my arena and challenge my justice and morals.

Be honest about what?

are you man and woman enough to be honest and admit you lie to them and steal our teachings of an afterlife?

You're an idiot.

And, yes. I recently told my niece that I do not believe in any god or heaven or hell. It's one thing to say, "Sorry little girl, there is no god." It's another to say, "While I respect your opinions and beliefs; I, personally, do not believe in such things. Life leads us to many conclusions; that's the best part of life."

or are you the bold kind who tells them how you really think it is? you tellt hem how the worms will eat their lifeless shell while they enter into oblivion never to exist again? never to see anyone or open your eyes again?

What "boldness" does it take to spew utter nonsense and lies about god?

It takes no more or no less boldness to tell them the truth: "Everybody has a right to an opinion. That's the most basic human right. I have concluded that there is no god or afterlife. Make the best of this life. Be the best person you can be. It's all you're likely to get."

~String

Preferably i won't have to tell them any of the above.
Also it would be situational. If my child is crying because it is scared of hell i would tell it, there is no hell, to comfort it. If my child starts asking questions about it without being sad but out of curiousity I would tell it because I don't believe it, but explain that some people believe in it.

So by the same logic if your child was scared of death you would say "there is no death" ?

"""""" If my child is crying because it is scared of hell i would tell it, there is no hell, to comfort it""""""""""

And I couldn't help notice you just refered to your hypothetical child as "it"

No, you asked a question based on two opposing views.
And then openly admitted that you haven't actually seen anyone use the view you don't agree with.
So why raise that particular issue?
Bias?
Deliberate (and false) polarisation?
Malicious intent?

Wait! You expect honesty?

HA!

~String

Atheists don't claim to "know" what happens when you die (unless they are pompous beyond imagination). Admitting ignorance doesn't make one an agnostic. Even Dawkins admits that it is possible that an afterlife and a deity exists, but barring any proof, it is immoral and deceptive to teach that one does.

Simply put, all one need do is explain to children, "Look, all we have is the facts, and the known facts point in the direction of no deity or afterlife. While it's possible, based on what we know it's unlikely especially since no deity or supernatural force has ever shown itself or left any evidence."

I would never lie to my kids about a tooth fairy, santa clause or easter bunny. They are lies and thankfully even my religious parents left most of that crap out of our lives.

Wait. Who are you talking about?

First off, everybody lies. Religious people most of all.

Second off, a child need not be lied to about an afterlife to give her comfort at the time of death. My mother died when I was eleven. I remember no such comfort at the thought of an afterlife, my comfort came from the hugs and kisses of a loving family.

Third off, I don't really have a problem with a well placed lie if it sincerely assuages the pain a person feels. We all tell lies. We all live--somewhat--with false perceptions of the world around us. That's jsut life. Recently we (my younger aunt and I) found out that my deceased grandfather's will left the same percentage to a non-relative that he did to his only surviving daughters. My eldest aunt always lamented her father's distant, cold feelings would have been devastated by this fact. We lied to her and told her that her 16.5% of the estate was the largest. Why not? She's 65 years old. Has suffered for the past seven years since my grandfather died.

To quote my grandmother: "What do you hope to get by the actions you are taking?"

Be honest about what?

You're an idiot.

And, yes. I recently told my niece that I do not believe in any god or heaven or hell. It's one thing to say, "Sorry little girl, there is no god." It's another to say, "While I respect your opinions and beliefs; I, personally, do not believe in such things. Life leads us to many conclusions; that's the best part of life."

What "boldness" does it take to spew utter nonsense and lies about god?

It takes no more or no less boldness to tell them the truth: "Everybody has a right to an opinion. That's the most basic human right. I have concluded that there is no god or afterlife. Make the best of this life. Be the best person you can be. It's all you're likely to get."

~String

This is a shame, see I was getting ready to make a detailed reply to you as you were making some valid points and i got down to near the end of your reply and see "you are an Idiot"

Now I am thinking to myself, well since I am an idiot you are obviously not going to take anything an idiot says into consideration.

That one little comment had a big effect on the way I viewed your post, Why call somebody an idiot if you expect a rebuttle from them? Do you call a shop manager a fool and expect him to still serve you?

So by the same logic if your child was scared of death you would say "there is no death" ?

"""""" If my child is crying because it is scared of hell i would tell it, there is no hell, to comfort it""""""""""

And I couldn't help notice you just refered to your hypothetical child as "it"

Yes "it" as in i don't know what gender my hypothetical child is.

No I would not say there is no death. I would try to make my child understand the concept of nothingness. I believe we went over this.

Yes "it" as in i don't know what gender my hypothetical child is.

No I would not say there is no death. I would try to make my child understand the concept of nothingness. I believe we went over this.

im sure when you have children and your missus is in the first Trimester and you refer to your child as "it" she will give you a slap, the same slap i recieved when i did this lol, i have learned my lesson though.

Why would you tellt he child there is "nothingness" after death are you claiming you know this as truth?

im sure when you have children and your missus is in the first Trimester and you refer to your child as "it" she will give you a slap, the same slap i recieved when i did this lol, i have learned my lesson though.

Why would you tellt he child there is "nothingness" after death are you claiming you know this as truth?

I have no reason to believe otherwise.

....which is the fundamental point.

Why would you have to make an unbiased statement to your kid? There is no reason to believe otherwise to what we current are aware of.

if not why are you teaching things you have no proof for?
I refer you back to a question I asked earlier:
Originally Posted by EmptyForceOfChi
I do not teach them about invisible chocolate people and quite right.
Originally posted by Dywyddyr
Why is it "quite right"?
Do you have 100% solid proof there are none?

I refer you back to a question I asked earlier:
Originally Posted by EmptyForceOfChi
I do not teach them about invisible chocolate people and quite right.
Originally posted by Dywyddyr
Why is it "quite right"?
Do you have 100% solid proof there are none?

I explained why it was quite right in that very post which you neglected to add "conveniently"

Because it is an oxymoron? why would i teach oxymorons?

Evidence for there being no afterlife and no soul? present that evidence please.
You really don't get it do you?
You cannot have evidence to show non-existence of something.
What we go on is total lack of evidence FOR those those suppositions.

We have evidence that when you're dead you're dead.
We have NONE for heaven, souls, afterlife or any other "fairy story". If we had then they wouldn't be fairy stories and we'd also teach those.

Back