Are believers less intelligent than Atheists? Discuss

i think people that are intelligent enough to notice the number of variables that go into an iq score

IQ scores are good measures of the ability to take IQ tests. I'm less convinced that IQ tests measure a single underlying cognitive variable that we can simply call 'intelligence'. Human cognition is composed of a whole variety of skills and capabilities that enable people to perform a wide variety of tasks. I'm not convinced that facility in these diverse tasks always rise and fall as a group, like the tide. Some people are good at some things and not nearly as good at others. Somebody may be extraordinary at imagining geometrical shapes, then folding them repeatedly in their mind's eye and predicting what the results would be. But the same person might be nearly hopeless at solving cross-word puzzles or writing poetry.

would be hard pressed to point at 2-5 point variability and jump up and down.

My impression is that if samples of atheists do outperform the general public on IQ tests, that the difference isn't very dramatic.

It would be interesting to break down the non-atheist part of the population by religious adherence, and separately get average IQ scores for adherents of different sorts of religiosity. My prediction is that members of some religious groups (Buddhists, Jews, Episcopalians) would likely outperform the atheists. My reason for making that prediction is that this is precisely what we do see regarding years of education completed. Atheists outperform believers as a whole by a fairly small margin, but some religious groups outperform atheists by an even larger margin. In other words, atheists as a group kind of end up in the high-average part of the amount-of-education range, definitely not sitting atop it.

If my iq score one year was 5 points higher than another year, i would be hard pressed to put it down to anything more than getting a good night's sleep or drinking a cup of coffee.

I think that lots of things can move performance on tests up and down. Earlier posts have already mentioned that scores on IQ tests are correlated to race. They are also correlated to socio-economic status and to amount of education received. I do think that the tests are getting at underlying neurological variables in an extremely fragmentary fashion. But it's going to be awfully hard to identify and then to correct for all of the other non-neurological variables that are very likely skewing the scores.

I personally would be looking at iq scores in bumps of ten to even raise an eyebrow. Maybe atheists have a higher value towards intelligence tests and try harder. Maybe believers have to use part of their brains to approach ideas atheists aren't "wasting their time" on, so they have a few points less to spend on other ideas. If some guy sits around all day working on sports scores or whatever, and then i say, hey what do you think of something that is actually important, and he doesn't know, did he have less raw mental power, or did he just spend his time deciding who was the best indy driver that week, or on some other (to me) stupid thing?

I've met a number of people, typically above-average intelligent but rarely the kind of people who profoundly impress me, who were very proud of being Mensa members. My impression is that they were extraordinarily good puzzle-solvers, but not always intelligent people in the way that I think of intelligence. They just weren't very thoughtful or philosophical. Many of them didn't seem to be successful at much in life except getting into Mensa and maybe playing video-games. Many of them had a rather schizoid-style ability to focus obsessively on trivialities, while largely missing the big picture.

That gets me back to my earlier point about intelligence perhaps consisting of a wide variety of cognitive skills what might not be highly correlated to one another. In fact, some intellectual skills might even be inversely correlated to other skills. We see that happening in exaggerated fashion in the 'idiot-savant'. There are people out there who are almost super-human mathematical calculators, but who finish in the 'retarded' range for other skills.

And finally, there's another kind of intellectual skill that IQ tests don't even begin to measure, the managerial ability to focus and to put all of these diverse cognitive abilities to work in successfully identifying and then performing significant and important life tasks.

Many of them had a rather schizoid-style ability to focus obsessively on trivialities, while largely missing the big picture.
Yes, that synthesis of ideas is, to me, a large part of what makes someone truly "intelligent". The difference between someone with skill, and someone with vision and skill is a giant leap.

IOW, while there are things for which it seems we must make claims, there are also many things for which, even though someone might request of us to make a claim, there isn't actually the need to make a claim.
I've heard that one of the shooters at Columbine asked a student, pointing a gun at her, before shooting her: "Do you believe in God?"
Per your reasoning, she should have claimed one way or another. But should she really?
No. You don't owe someone with a gun anything, that is a madman's idea of fun. Pretty weak connection to my ideas.
I do feel you owe it to yourself to never stop searching for things to claim ideas about. I don't care what they are. I am not saying you have to "pick a side" on EVERY topic. This is all fun talk, but i never said you had to do what I do, you just have to do what you do. If "maybe" is what you want to claim about certain things, i would call that smart.
It's not possible? How would you know?
You can't test who is correct about flying a plane into a building, at least right now, so yes I do know you can't know. I can say, "whoever wants people to fly planes into buildings is not my kind of people", or "that type of God isn't worth worshipping", but i can't prove they are wrong. If extremists like that are right, i don't want to be right. I'm not forced to say "maybe i will accept that," just because i can't prove it wrong.
For the concepts of karma and reincarnation to show their explanatory worth, they have to be considered in their traditional form, ie. as being something that spans over many lifetimes and many body forms.
perhaps the reason a person isn't coming back again is that they stop believing they are coming back again. from your link - "5) The fact that the Buddha suggested that his contemporaries drop their metaphysical assumptions about personal identity if they wanted to practice the path suggests that he would make the same suggestion to people in the modern world." Ok, so drop them then.
What is the point of even saying "i came back" if it is not my consciousness, just my karmic burden? Morality? Are you really going to tell me you know what this means? Sounds like you are claiming something. Aha!

"Have to keep believing" - that is so strange to me. Almost as if you're forcing yourself to keep up a pretense.
No, no, no. I tried to explain that, KNOWING somebody was going to jump on that. I don't have to believe in God. I personally can't force myself to believe something i don't believe, I am not power of positive thinking enabled. I said, I have to believe THAT God being good is not just God being evil, and, since he is the biggest gorilla in the forest, we call it good. That is a simple cognitive pragmatism. I have to believe i can trust my reality, otherwise i may as well just give up on making sense, or thinking at all.
Like I said above, for the concepts of karma and reincarnation to show their explanatory worth, they have to be considered in their traditional form.
In these matters, one either believes there is only this one lifetime to act, or one believes that there are many life times, or one believes in neither in particular.
...or one believes it is true in a different sense. Can you show me i am wrong, and not only claim an idea, but go even further and defend it, or are you just going to state your opinion?
If one defaults to the first belief, ie. that this life is the only one there is (such as mainstream Western culture holds), or that this life is the decisive one, after which it will be too late to act and that thus, our eternal fate is sealed with what we do in this lifetime (which the usual Christian perspective), then this has important consequences for the way one goes about one's daily life.
a vague threat of punishment, easily dismissed as superstition, isn't going to have decisive effects. A strong threat of punishment might just cause a lot of tension that causes people to act in bad ways. Metaphysical carrot and stick isn't going to change what people really want to do. It takes more than that.
Holding the third belief, namely, that one doesn't know for sure whether there is a next life or not, is, IMO, actually quite difficult, because so many of our common beliefs imply one or the other definitive stance.
i don't have a problem with it. I don't necessarily believe that my ego consciousness is going to partake of union with God anyway. I feel that i will probably move on to the "next phase", and i really am not worried that this consciousness will end. "I" may not even find out. Or i will go to the heaven realm, where saved people get to keep their consciousness. Or maybe Allah will send me to hell, there is nothing i can do about it if that is the case, because i can't just believe whatever i choose.
A good argument can be made (as the paper I linked to earlier does) that "epistemic autonomy" is an internally inconsistent concept to begin with, so it is suspicious to build on it in any way.
I am not sure what part of that paper contains the good argument. It seemed to focus a lot on what she calls "extreme epistemic egoism", which consists of a person not accepting anybody else's idea for anything at all. Who does that? The thing i appreciate is someone like Descartes who can say, "nothing is true", or whatever, he takes a long trip through everything and ends up at ,"I feel like i am here." Then, because it seems logical to him, as it does to me, says "i don't believe somebody out there is just screwing with me, and i don't seem to be crazy, so i guess i have to accept what i think." And then he can build up all kinds of constructs, INCLUDING other people's facts and ideas, no problem. He sees the problem with epistemic democracy, and then he accepts that there is stuff he doesn't know, and then he goes on with his life. Can you tell me what in the paper attacks a reasonable epistemic position? i mean i accept a lot of things i can't prove, some just from people who know more math then i do, others because they have a perspective i don't. But i don't have to accept things i think are wrong, without even getting an explanation.

Yes, that synthesis of ideas is, to me, a large part of what makes someone truly "intelligent". The difference between someone with skill, and someone with vision and skill is a giant leap.
I think an important part of intelligence is also drive. Yes you need a base-line intelligence start (the physical side) that is conducive to the development of higher processing, but it is more than that. One needs to think deeply, beat down the door of every possibility to sum new approaches no one else can think of. A 2+2=10 approach. Fill in gaps and create new gaps (to sculpt a mind that thinks of/on the edge). The speed at which this is done is less important than an ability to think really deeply itself. Persistence is a large component, alongside talent. A mental acuity with a mental adaptability (adaptability being quite key).

?

I think an important part of intelligence is also drive. Yes you need a base-line intelligence start (the physical side) that is conducive to the development of higher processing, but it is more than that. One needs to think deeply, beat down the door of every possibility to sum new approaches no one else can think of. A 2+2=10 approach. Fill in gaps and create new gaps (to sculpt a mind that thinks of/on the edge). The speed at which this is done is less important than an ability to think really deeply itself. Persistence is a large component, alongside talent. A mental acuity with a mental adaptability (adaptability being quite key).

?
ahh intellectual creativity.. perhaps

I woud say that willingness to work hard is a big variable in the outcome of tests, but that may or may not be classed as intelligence. It could be classed the opposite way, meaning the easier it is for a person to learn x, the more intelligent they are. I guess IQ tests specifically try (whether they succeed is questionable) to avoid a person's exposure to certain information becoming the factor they are testing for?
This is just an analogy, but say we get a bunch of lab-raised rats that have no social factors, nutrition, mothering differences, and put them in mazes or whatever to see how smart they are. Do we call the rat that has learned the maze and gets put back in more intelligent, because it can do the maze in ten seconds, if it took it countless tries to succeed the first time, or do we call the rat that learns fastest more intelligent although it takes 2 minutes to run the maze???
Also, there is perceived pleasure in learning which is powerful in some people, and influenced by various experiences at a young age, that would skew the tests away from "raw brain processor power".

I woud say that willingness to work hard is a big variable in the outcome of tests, but that may or may not be classed as intelligence. It could be classed the opposite way, meaning the easier it is for a person to learn x, the more intelligent they are. I guess IQ tests specifically try (whether they succeed is questionable) to avoid a person's exposure to certain information becoming the factor they are testing for?
This is just an analogy, but say we get a bunch of lab-raised rats that have no social factors, nutrition, mothering differences, and put them in mazes or whatever to see how smart they are. Do we call the rat that has learned the maze and gets put back in more intelligent, because it can do the maze in ten seconds, if it took it countless tries to succeed the first time, or do we call the rat that learns fastest more intelligent although it takes 2 minutes to run the maze???
Also, there is perceived pleasure in learning which is powerful in some people, and influenced by various experiences at a young age, that would skew the tests away from "raw brain processor power".

With my last post I was seeking to move away from IQ, and try to move closer to some kind of hard-to-test "true intelligence" or "intellectual creativity" as Quantum Quack kindly suggested.

IQ tests are like specifically measured mental gymnastics which often work off the speed one completes a task too.

I would add to what you are saying: the fact that we can sculpt the brain as we grow and learn through determination is of regard. I would suggest that raw processing power can be increased by pushing the boundaries; I'm not disagreeing with you but just recognising that the mind develops very quickly through childhood so obsessive tendencies can drive the mind to excel, also the mind continues to change its structure throughout adulthood (at a reduced rate) so new talents can be nurtured even later in life.

If there is biomolecular advantage that can be inherited or mutated towards (before birth or even during life) within the physical structure of the brain in a bottom-up sense, like the speed of neurons, synapses etc. (or a quantum genetic background we can't measure (speculative)) then this would be harder if not impossible for any individual to surmount, though I have no personal knowledge of such things.

The structure of the brain, as in the connections and maps (pathways) as it were, are more easily adapted through learning. I just believe that the whole picture of intelligence is more complex than we necessarily think. The extent to which the brains overall mapping could be changed over a short time frame is unknown (like a matrix-style download). But lifetime funneling like the obsessive tendencies of an autistic child for instance, can form great talents. Have you heard of the boy who had an epileptic seizure which damaged his mind and gave him the new ability to see the shape of numbers?

I find that when I am tired I struggle to think straight, but at other times my mind is capable of things that surprise me (once I was ill with scarlet fever and found after three days without sleep I was doing more complex than I could do whilst healthy muliplication etc.); so for someone who is not of a healthy disposition I would imagine that if their body is unhealthy in a biomolecular way, then how can their mind excel?

I have read that the bacterial and other invaders that enter the mind at different times through childhood (and adult life?) can have a significant impact on brain development (and brain health I would imagine?). Conversely, some bacteria may actually have evolved to imbue the human mind with advantages to allow the host to spread the bacteria more widely some how? Like a sexually transmitted disease affecting the brain to cause an individual to become more sexually promiscuous, or another bacteria making someone more sociable so they spread the bacteria over a wider area. The HIV virus is less virulent due to less virulent strains having longer time to spread themselves, whereas more deadly strains die with their hosts.

Sorry, moving off-piste.

Just trying to present the mind, not as a fixed measurable entity, but as a constantly developing/evolving construct (not just structurally but also genetically (through mutation)) and through seemingly hard to control incursions.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are condemning IQ tests.

We know that the majority of scientist have high IQ's and are non-believers. Studies have Shown that religious belief decreases where education rises. The Higher your IQ, the more reasonable it is to assume that you will likely be a non-believers.

Studies also indicate that the people in science do not become non-believers because of their science, but through there ability to study, and use critical thought.

The majority of scientists can easily be considered the smartest people on this planet, because their knowledge reaches depths that other disciplines don't. Although the statistic may change from one scientist to the other, based on his or her field of expertise.

The lowest percentage of scientists in a field that are non-believers is among social scientists (psychologists, anthropologists, etc.) and the highest percentage (which is about 60% in some fields) is among earth scientists (microbiologists, geologists, astrophysicists, etc.).

Usually when your in a scientific field, you literally only believe what you can touch, feel, and of course prove using the scientific method.

A recent survey in 2009 of U.S. scientists shows that the general scientific community has a different view of God, than everyday society. 33% believe in "God" and 18% believe in a spirit or higher power.

In different scientific fields the data changes.

Biological/Medical Field: 32% believe in God, another 19% believe in a Higher Power.

Chemistry: 41% believe in "God", and 14% believe in a Higher Power.

Geoscience: 30% believe in "God", and 20% believe in a Higher Power.

Physics/Astronomy: 29% believe in "God", and 14% believe in a Higher Power.

http://www.pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Scientists-and-Belief.aspx

So returning to the point of this post the higher the IQ, show us who has the capacity for higher critical thought. IQ tests are not redundant tests.

It does appear that the majority of people who do condemn them are either those of a low/average IQ or of a religious affiliation.

Last edited:
We know that the majority of scientist have high IQ's and are non-believers.
43%-55% are believers according to the study you posted. Only one field listed actually has a majority, one equal, the other two a minority of unbelievers. The model for truth is not that which the most people believe anyway, but wtf? At least don't provide a link to the study that shows you are not representing it accurately, if you are going to represent it inaccurately.
Usually when your in a scientific field, you literally only believe what you can touch, feel, and of course prove using the scientific method.
well, 43% to 55% of scientists in that study apparently believe in things they can't touch, feel, or prove. Seriously though, did you look at those numbers before you put that up? not that it matters if the crowd were to disagree with someone, but seriously how do you make that jump? I think very, very, very few people believe only in what they can see touch and prove. It is a very tiny percentage who have to prove their relationships, which rarely offer ACTUAL proof of much, but when it comes to God, people THEN begin to say they don't believe what they can't prove. It is not logical to insist on the one and not insist on the other for pragmatism's sake. Those numbers may reflect a bias on the part of the general public to spout out any random crap and say it is meaningful or true without having even gone through any process of figuring out what they actually think, which i think scientists would do less freely. If you sat that extra 40% of people down and confronted them with specifics and issues the numbers would probably be lower for them too. If you said, would you put your house up as collateral that you are correct, most (EDIT-many, not most)would back down. Some of that difference is that non-scientists and non-philosophers have a less strict labeling process.
So returning to the point of this post the higher the IQ, show us who has the capacity for higher critical thought. IQ tests are not redundant tests.
It does appear that the majority of people who do condemn them are either those of a low/average IQ or of a religious affiliation.
so a person with a higher IQ, who sleeps all day and works in a garbage factory, will have a higher capacity for critical thought than a person with 5 points lower IQ who studies all day and builds models of organic computers or whatever. Preposterous. A person with a higher IQ who has to leave school will have more capacity for higher critical thought than somebody with a ten point lower score who goes through his doctorate level studies? Ridiculous. If anyone wants to talk about ACTUAL intelligence there are factors involved, IQ tests being an important indicator but far from the whole picture.

Geeser said:
We know that the majority of scientist have high IQ's and are non-believers.Studies have Shown that religious belief decreases where education rises. The Higher your IQ, the more reasonable it is to assume that you will likely be a non-believers.
43%-55% are believers according to the study you posted. Only one field listed actually has a majority, one equal, the other two a minority of unbelievers. The model for truth is not that which the most people believe anyway, but wtf? At least don't provide a link to the study that shows you are not representing it accurately, if you are going to represent it inaccurately.
Aren't you the miserable so and so. The study I linked to was an American study, a country 70/80% religious. and only then because it was more graphic. But in England and possibly the rest of the world the figure would be different. Hence why I said the majority, because Europe and England who are much more secular, have a much lower religiousity. Thus the scientist here are less likely to be peer pressured to conform, or at least to pretend to be religious, for fear of retribution.

Cole grey said:
IQ tests being an important indicator but far from the whole picture.
Exactly my point, therefore they should not be thrown out with the bath water.

I can't believe people are condemning IQ tests.

I'm skeptical about whether there's any single cognitive quality that corresponds to the word "intelligence". It seems to me that 'intelligence' in the abstract is more of a rough average of any number of cognitive skills and abilities, some of them probably innate and hard-wired, but others probably learned and perfected by practice. And I'm even less convinced that IQ tests succeed in measuring all of these cognitive variables.

We know that the majority of scientist have high IQ's and are non-believers.

And we know that the majority of religious theologians have high IQ's and they are significantly more likely than the general population to be believers. I expect that philosophers have high IQ's too, and that they fall somewhere in the middle of the religious belief range.

Studies have Shown that religious belief decreases where education rises.

According to the 2008 American Religious Identification Survey, 27% of Americans over the age of 25 were university graduates in 2008. Among those with no religious affiliation, the percentage of college graduates was 31%. That's slightly better than the national average.

But... those who identified their religious affiliation as 'Jewish' had 57% college graduates. The top spot was occupied by adherents of 'eastern religions', mostly Buddhists here in the US, with 59% university graduates. 'Mainline protestants' (such as Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans and Presbyterians) had 35% university graduates. Even 'new religious movements' like wicca and new-age turned in a respectable 33%, fractionally better than those who reported no religious affiliation. The Mormons came in at 31%, the same as the 'nones'.

The source of these numbers is Table 11 on Page 16 of the ARIS 2008 pdf available here:

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/publications/aris-2008-summary-report/

Aren't you the miserable so and so. The study I linked to was an American study, a country 70/80% religious. and only then because it was more graphic. But in England and possibly the rest of the world the figure would be different. Hence why I said the majority, because Europe and England who are much more secular, have a much lower religiousity. Thus the scientist here are less likely to be peer pressured to conform, or at least to pretend to be religious, for fear of retribution.
maybe in england and the rest of the world the split is less wide, until i see the numbers i can't say. I am just saying a study shows x and your conjecture of y is not necessarily wrong, it just isn't shown by that study. Clearly you are correct if the majority in a country is secular and the scientist is even slightly more secular, then it is safe to assume the majority of scientists is secular.

Exactly my point, therefore they should not be thrown out with the bath water.
hey, as long as someone is deciding on a limited spectrum of intelligence to test or correlate, that doesn't make the idea useless, it just has to be taken as incomplete until a wider interpretation of intelligence can be agreed upon and tested.

And we know that the majority of religious theologians have high IQ's and they are significantly more likely than the general population to be believers. I expect that philosophers have high IQ's too, and that they fall somewhere in the middle of the religious belief range.
A persons religious affiliation or your lack of belief in god doesn't have anything to do with your IQ, but it is common amongst scientist to have High IQ's.
All studies aside, some Religious persons are quite intelligent and some atheists are dumber than a box of frogs.
However all of the intelligence in the world is of little use if judgement is clouded by primitive superstition.
A genius be he religious or not, who lacks common sense. Doesn't use his intelligence.

Having freedom of thought, and a high IQ must account for something.

A persons religious affiliation or your lack of belief in god doesn't have anything to do with your IQ, but it is common amongst scientist to have High IQ's.
All studies aside, some Religious persons are quite intelligent and some atheists are dumber than a box of frogs.
However all of the intelligence in the world is of little use if judgement is clouded by primitive superstition.
A genius be he religious or not, who lacks common sense. Doesn't use his intelligence.

Having freedom of thought, and a high IQ must account for something.
assuming atheism is a logical consequence from common sense is a good example of a poor argument (IOW the statement is built on self-referential logic)

I would argue that atheism (at least the adamant cerebral/political/ideological variety commonly encountered on forums like these) is more a consequence of a poor fund of knowledge and/or over reliance on weak arguments.

assuming atheism is a logical consequence from common sense is a good example of a poor argument (IOW the statement is built on self-referential logic)

Actually, I would think common sense is precisely what brought about theism. "Neighbor gave me a dirty look, then crops went bad, therefore neighbor's look must be responsible." Atheism is a logical consequence of education. That is, the more one learns about the history of religion--and of the world, really--the less evidence they have to support a theistic viewpoint.

I would argue that atheism (at least the adamant cerebral/political/ideological variety commonly encountered on forums like these) is more a consequence of a poor fund of knowledge and/or over reliance on weak arguments.

An example?

Actually, I would think common sense is precisely what brought about theism. "Neighbor gave me a dirty look, then crops went bad, therefore neighbor's look must be responsible." Atheism is a logical consequence of education. That is, the more one learns about the history of religion--and of the world, really--the less evidence they have to support a theistic viewpoint.

An example?
You just gave us one with your brief analysis on the origins of religion.

It appears you still have quite a bit to learn on the subject ....

It appears you still have quite a bit to learn on the subject ....
You too it seems you have been here six years and learnt f**k all. You automatically equated atheism to high IQ's and science, whereas my statement, wasn't saying anything of the sort. And then you went on to condemn atheism for the assumption you made.

I said " A persons religious affiliation or your lack of belief in god doesn't have anything to do with IQ, but it is common amongst scientist to have High IQ's."

An article for all
What is Intelligence

For centuries, people have been trying to define intelligence. However, a universally agreed upon definition proves to be elusive so far. To some, intelligence is the ability to acquire new information and to adjust to new circumstances, while others regard the skills to solve complex problems as more important. Thus, many contrasting theories have emerged. The four theories with the largest number of followers are the theory of general intelligence, the theory of primary mental abilities, the multiple intelligences theory, and the triarchic theory of intelligence.

General intelligence

The oldest theory is that of British psychologist Charles Spearman, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, proposed the existence of general intelligence. He observed that people’s scores on different IQ tests tend to correlate. In other words, somebody who received a high score on one IQ test usually scored high on all other IQ tests, and vice versa. Therefore, he concluded that intelligence tests all measure one common factor, which he called general intelligence or “g". In addition to that, Spearman argued that each test also measures some specific ability, which he termed “s" - vocabulary knowledge or mathematical skills, for example. However, what was of real importance to Spearman was general intelligence, which he believed to be the basis of all intellectual activities.

Crystallized and fluid intelligence

A similar theory by R. Cattell and J. Horn argues that there are two types of intelligence - fluid intelligence (gf) and crystallized intelligence (gc). Fluid intelligence is one’s biological ability to reason and acquire new information. On the other hand, crystallized intelligence is the set of specific knowledge and abilities that an individual has acquired by learning and experience throughout his life (1).

Primary mental abilities

In 1938 American psychologist L. Thurstone suggested, that intelligence is composed of seven independent factors, which he called primary mental abilities:

1) verbal comprehension;
2) verbal fluency;
3) mathematical ability;
4) memory;
5) speed of perception;
6) reasoning skills;
7) spatial visualization (2).

Multiple intelligences

Similar to Thurstone’s theory is that of Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner. In 1983, he proposed the existence of multiple intelligences, which are independent from each other. According to him, everybody possesses a certain combination of the following:

1) Linguistic intelligence;
2) Logical-mathematical intelligence;
3) Spatial intelligence;
4) Musical intelligence;
5) Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence;
6) Interpersonal intelligence;
7) Intrapersonal intelligence (3).

The Triarchic theory of intelligence

Finally, there is the Triarchic (three-part) theory of intelligence by R. Sternberg. According to him, there are three different types of intelligence. The first one is analytic intelligence, which is the ability to reason. It resembles the notion of general intelligence. The other component of intelligence, as defined by Sternberg, is creative intelligence or the ability to draw upon previous experience in order to solve new problems. The last part of intelligence, Sternberg argues, is practical intelligence, which reflects one’s ability to deal with everyday situations (4).

In conclusion, no unified theory of intelligence has been proposed yet. Until that happens, the debates on what intelligence really is are bound to continue.

References:
1. Jensen, Arthur R. Straight Talk About Mental Tests. New York: The Free Press, 1981. 62-63.
2. Intelligence. Encarta Reference Library 2003. Microsoft Corporation, 2002.
3. Armstrong, Thomas. 7 kinds of smart: identifying and developing your multiple intelligences. New York: Plume, 1999.
4. Sternberg, Robert J. How practical and creative intelligence determines success in life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996.
With thanks to Alexander Roulinski.

Alexander Roulinski is a member of MENSA and founder of IQScoreNow.com. His site offers online IQ tests and other interesting articles on human intelligence

it would be interesting to see scores based in tests for "multiple intelligences". I think we could still have plenty of arguing on sciforums about which components are "real" intelligence, and which are social skills etc. Looking at all the lists gives an indication that intellect could be borrowed from one skill set and applied to another, or opposing that, that the skills build on each other, or both of those ideas are in action. It is easy to logically believe that a religious person takes 2-5 points (a small number) out of one (or more) segments of intelligence, and puts them into some other areas of intelligence, that are less directly measured by the IQ test.

Back