Are believers less intelligent than Atheists? Discuss

perhaps the religions were just a little messed up too, and the adherents weren't at fault for being sub-standard. I mean, modern people think women are equal, basically, so isn't catholicism sub-standard in some way?

Back to the definition of what "religion" means. And it means many things, to many people.

Lightgigantic -

When Arjuna went to kill people, was that due to a religious motivation (given that he was instructed to do so by God Himself), or was it an economical/political/social/psychological motivation?

On the grounds of what can we posit that while Arjuna had divine justification, the Crusaders, the Holy Inquisition, etc. didn't?

If God Himself established the varna system, and people are supposed to act according to their varna (and for soldiers that means going to war and killing people), and acting according to one's varna makes for righteous, religiously-motivated action -
then why say (like you do) that the motivation for the Crusades etc. was economical or political, but not religious?

Sexual Slavery is strangely enough called "Sexual Slavery", the most common of which type is Prostitution. Why do pimps run multiple whores? Why are girls trafficked? For money.

Back to the definition of what "religion" means. And it means many things, to many people.

Lightgigantic -

When Arjuna went to kill people, was that due to a religious motivation (given that he was instructed to do so by God Himself), or was it an economical/political/social/psychological motivation?

On the grounds of what can we posit that while Arjuna had divine justification, the Crusaders, the Holy Inquisition, etc. didn't?

If God Himself established the varna system, and people are supposed to act according to their varna (and for soldiers that means going to war and killing people), and acting according to one's varna makes for righteous, religiously-motivated action -
then why say (like you do) that the motivation for the Crusades etc. was economical or political, but not religious?
You don't understand BG.

Arjuna gives economical/political/social/psychological reasons not to fight. Krsna rejects them to show a course of duty that is beyond varnasrama, or acts for personal or collective gain. The fact that the dialogue happens on a battlefield with a fighter is incidental.

You don't understand BG.

Arjuna gives economical/political/social/psychological reasons not to fight. Krsna rejects them to show a course of duty that is beyond varnasrama, or acts for personal or collective gain. The fact that the dialogue happens on a battlefield with a fighter is incidental.

By that logic then, the Crusades, the Holy Inquisition, witch burning, religious bullying in the family, at school and in the workplace, etc. are also acts on a course of duty that is beyond varnashrama.

So, for example, if a group of Muslims come to destroy your Hare Krishna temple, these Muslims will be acting on a course of duty that is beyond varnashrama; them destroying your temple and killing devotees will be divinely sanctioned, it will be a religious action.

And thus you have been misleading us, by saying that the Crusades etc. were politically or economically motivated.

!

you are like an english speaker telling a spanish speaker that when an "hombre" is at the door, the man's whole life is called into question, whether he is a "real man" or not , etc etc, and not just that there is someone at the door.

You'll need to explain why the analogy supposedly applies.

While I have fundamental issues with people who declare belief in God, I have no issues with people who speak linguistically different languages.

(It's usually people who aren't very good with words that distrust them. Lol.)
words are limited, and even a master usually can't use them to say certain things to certain people. I think it is similar to a classical violinist's level of criticism versus a layman, the criticism just keeps going up as the facility with words goes up. Or it should.

I think you still underestimate what words can do.

A particular sequence of words can change another person's mental state.

In fact, in Hinduism, they have the concept of vedic sound.
And, as the saying goes, listening to sabda (ie. the sacred sound) can change a person, while listening to a mere ipse dixit argument does not.
It's not the words that are somehow inherently faulty; it's all just about what people say, or don't say.

anybody who wants to be my disciple should be prepared to be considered an idiot for following a guru.

Pfft. There's nothing wrong with developing a helpful relationship with a teacher.
It's probably because it is so difficult to develop a helpful relationship with a teacher that the whole guru process has gotten such a bad reputation.

I guess they could just be helpless. A guru distinguishing someone as a helpless or idiotic should say something about the guru's ability to see the inner light in all people. Hence they are just deluded bodhisattvas, grinding out bones on the karmic wheel. Nothing worth following about a person like that.

You do realize there are some major problems with the idea of "the inner light in all people" or "Buddha nature", don't you?

there is a pretty ox cart outside, we should all go outside and ride in it, because the smoke in here is getting to me. (i'm sure you know that one)

As a matter of fact, I don't know this one.

my point is that "contempt" is usually the wrong word to use to describe the theistic team mentality.

Like I said: I usually feel contempted, despised by theists.
But somehow, in theist/non-theist exchanges, only the stance of the theists is to be considered?

In japan they have a business term for "insider" and "outsider". i feel that those terms may express actual contempt in a way, but then again i can't speak for them.

Again, this is a mundane analogy. You will need to explain how it applies when talking about things that are above and beyond the mundane.

I am the first to point out the necessity of deferring to authority, especially in religious matters - and this primarily on the grounds that trying to play it solo is solipsistic insanity.
depending on who you ask scientology is either solipsistic insanity spread to others, or true, or a communal give and take, mostly take, of ideas. I mean are all prophets solipsistically insane? As far from being a scientologist as I am, i still see much of it as sensible, and i am not going to call ron hubbard solipsistically insane (assuming he actually believed himself) - the idea that drugs pollute the body is probably in general correct, although I admit i come to that from a view based on things i have seen, and not from medical expertise. And some things in moderation seem to be beneficial. I mean i would avoid prescription drugs if possible, for example.

Read this -
"Epistemic and Ethical Egoism and the Ideal of Autonomy" (scroll down the page and there is a link to download the word file)
and get back to me.
The "solipsistic insanity" I am referring to is another concept for epistemic autonomy. Esp. in Western culture, epistemic autonomy is considered an ideal, often implied, but upon closer inspection, it turns out to be very problematic. I've posted on this at the forums before.

I am all for you changing your original dubiousness and conceding the point. Shame you haven't got the balls to admit when you're wrong.
:) I'm not conceding anything. I remain as dubious as ever that economics was "THE driving factor" behind slavery. It was A driving factor. Sometimes it may have been dominant, sometimes maybe not.

By that logic then, the Crusades, the Holy Inquisition, witch burning, religious bullying in the family, at school and in the workplace, etc. are also acts on a course of duty that is beyond varnashrama.

So, for example, if a group of Muslims come to destroy your Hare Krishna temple, these Muslims will be acting on a course of duty that is beyond varnashrama; them destroying your temple and killing devotees will be divinely sanctioned, it will be a religious action.

And thus you have been misleading us, by saying that the Crusades etc. were politically or economically motivated.

!
I'm not sure you understand.

I said "The fact that the dialogue happens on a battlefield with a fighter is incidental."

IOW its about spiritual activity that happens to be on a battle field (as opposed to establishing the battlefield, witch burning, burning a mosque/temple/church or bullying at school or whatever .... all of which, btw, seem quite obviously acts for personal or collective gain ..... as the ultimate context for spiritual activity).

IOW its not a treatise on violence or the use of civil force in civilization (or even bullying or whatever). Its a treatise on spiritual action in the material world (set on the stage of a battlefield).

If you still don't understand this, just try and make statements about bullying or witch burning or whatever on the strength of the BG.

:shrug:

I'm not sure you understand.

I think I understand, it's you who keeps misrepresenting me.

I said "The fact that the dialogue happens on a battlefield with a fighter is incidental."

Sure, I'm not disagreeing.

IOW its about spiritual activity that happens to be on a battle field (as opposed to establishing the battlefield, witch burning, burning a mosque/temple/church or bullying at school or whatever .... all of which, btw, seem quite obviously acts for personal or collective gain ..... as the ultimate context for spiritual activity).

The Crusaders believed they were fighting for the greater glory of God. Religious bullies at school claim to be acting for the greater glory of God. And so on.
The Westboro Baptist Church believe that they are doing God's will when they hate homosexuals.

Whether something is "quite obviously an act for personal or collective gain" is very disputable. This is the part you keep ignoring.

You don't fancy the Abrahamists to begin with - so it seems easy to you to dismiss them and claim they were "quite obviously fighting for personal or collective gain."
But the Abrahamists don't think so. They think they were divinely justified and beyond seeking personal or collective gain.

IOW its not a treatise on violence or the use of civil force in civilization (or even bullying or whatever). Its a treatise on spiritual action in the material world (set on the stage of a battlefield).

If you still don't understand this, just try and make statements about bullying or witch burning or whatever on the strength of the BG.

Any self-appointed theist can use (and many do use) any scripture to justify anything as being done in the name of God.
Whether it is an act of blatant violence, like killing people, or whether it is about picking flowers.

And that, I think, is the problem. Religions simply seem to be a matter of "anything goes" in the name of God.
Apparently, all one needs is either divine inspiration, or egregious hubris, and one can go off and claim to be divinely justified. And nobody, except those who are actually more supremely divinely inspired, or those with even more hubris, can dispute that.

The rest of us just gets to sit there in confusion and fear of being refused by God. I don't think this is a fair arrangement.

Why do some of us have to be left to doubt as to whether what we do is indeed pleasing to God or not, while others get to walk around boldly proclaiming they know for sure they are doing God's will and have God on their side?

I think I understand, it's you who keeps misrepresenting me.

Sure, I'm not disagreeing.

The Crusaders believed they were fighting for the greater glory of God. Religious bullies at school claim to be acting for the greater glory of God. And so on.
The Westboro Baptist Church believe that they are doing God's will when they hate homosexuals.

Whether something is "quite obviously an act for personal or collective gain" is very disputable. This is the part you keep ignoring.

You don't fancy the Abrahamists to begin with - so it seems easy to you to dismiss them and claim they were "quite obviously fighting for personal or collective gain."
But the Abrahamists don't think so. They think they were divinely justified and beyond seeking personal or collective gain.

Any self-appointed theist can use (and many do use) any scripture to justify anything as being done in the name of God.
Whether it is an act of blatant violence, like killing people, or whether it is about picking flowers.

And that, I think, is the problem. Religions simply seem to be a matter of "anything goes" in the name of God.
Apparently, all one needs is either divine inspiration, or egregious hubris, and one can go off and claim to be divinely justified. And nobody, except those who are actually more supremely divinely inspired, or those with even more hubris, can dispute that.

The rest of us just gets to sit there in confusion and fear of being refused by God. I don't think this is a fair arrangement.

Why do some of us have to be left to doubt as to whether what we do is indeed pleasing to God or not, while others get to walk around boldly proclaiming they know for sure they are doing God's will and have God on their side?
since you agree that BG is not a treatise that deals exclusively with the issue of violence/bulling/burning, your argument is essentially about people who claim to do anything (from burning witches to picking flowers) on the strength of the authority of god. BG deals specifically with that question - ie karma yoga ... The only way a person can say this equates to "anything goes" is if they have not read it (or don't understand it).

since you agree that BG is not a treatise that deals exclusively with the issue of violence/bulling/burning, your argument is essentially about people who claim to do anything (from burning witches to picking flowers) on the strength of the authority of god. BG deals specifically with that question - ie karma yoga ... The only way a person can say this equates to "anything goes" is if they have not read it (or don't understand it).

You're speaking as an insider, I am speaking as an outsider to religion.

From my perspective, theistic religions indeed simply seem to be a matter of "anything goes" in the name of God.

Sure, accuse me of not reading or not understanding. You know, the Christians do that too, and the Muslims, etc. - all theists. Theists all make the same kind of accusation, and demand nominally different results, but essentially the same results: that I would believe that their version about God is the one and only true one.

And the vocal atheists have the same kind of approach: For example, they believe that if I would read, say, Dawkins' work, I would believe it, and that the only reason why I don't agree with Dawkins is because I haven't read or haven't understood his work.

And the vocal atheists have the same kind of approach: For example, they believe that if I would read, say, Dawkins' work, I would believe it, and that the only reason why I don't agree with Dawkins is because I haven't read or haven't understood his work.

What I don't understand is why you feel this is such a ridiculous proposition. I mean, you take a position on something without reading the foundational or relevant texts, and then cry foul when people say you don't know what you're talking about. This applies to anything--religion, science, literature, criticism, whatever--so why is it that you find it so outrageous? I would think after a while of everyone saying the same thing to you, you'd at least consider, if only for a moment, that maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

I mean, think about how absurd it is that you have an opinion of Dawkins without actually having read him. What exactly are you critical of? His sense of fashion? His haircut? No, you seem to view him as something of a shepherd for atheists, yet you have no earthly idea of what he stands for or how he arrived at those conclusions.

What I don't understand is why you feel this is such a ridiculous proposition. I mean, you take a position on something without reading the foundational or relevant texts, and then cry foul when people say you don't know what you're talking about. This applies to anything--religion, science, literature, criticism, whatever--so why is it that you find it so outrageous? I would think after a while of everyone saying the same thing to you, you'd at least consider, if only for a moment, that maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

I mean, think about how absurd it is that you have an opinion of Dawkins without actually having read him. What exactly are you critical of? His sense of fashion? His haircut? No, you seem to view him as something of a shepherd for atheists, yet you have no earthly idea of what he stands for or how he arrived at those conclusions.

I have read those relevant texts that I am referring to. I just didn't end up being convinced by them.

I'll give a stark example: At the end of the Book of Mormon, there is the instruction that one ought to pray to get an answer whether this book is telling the truth or not.
I've read the book cover to cover, and I prayed at the end. I didn't get any answer; or perhaps the closest I have come to "receiving an answer" was an awareness that from a certain perspective, within some particular context (ie. provided that one already believes everything said therein; or when there is no consideration for any other source of information), the BofM is true, while from some other perspective, in some other context, it isn't.

Many people who've read a book, a religious or an atheist one, simply became convinced by what it said while reading it.
I've never had that experience with any book or or any other text.

Oh well. Some would call me a critical reader, others would accuse me of willful ignorance and idle rejection.

actually it only shows that THAT particular act of violence was dharma or whatever, not all violence. Perhaps this idea was twisted to condone other acts of violence, in a similar way as some country saying "god is on our side" when theologically they may be completely out of step with what God would want them to do.

if you knew of a famous christian writer, would an atheist have to read his books to have an opinion, or should they just say, c.s. lewis is as likely to be correct as incorrect? yeah, that is what i thought. essene mirror activate.

actually it only shows that THAT particular act of violence was dharma or whatever, not all violence. Perhaps this idea was twisted to condone other acts of violence, in a similar way as some country saying "god is on our side" when theologically they may be completely out of step with what God would want them to do.

Who's to say that someone is "theologically completely out of step with what God would want them to do" ??

If someone knocks on your door, and threatens you with a gun, or offers you flowers, claiming to be doing what God wants them to do, who are you to dispute their motivation?
Do you know what God wants that person to do?

You'll need to explain why the analogy supposedly applies.
i am just saying that people use the term "christian" or "believer" differently than you do. Unless you are the final word you aren't the final word, just one voice among many. Popular use is usually the way to go, although i admit, not always.
I think you still underestimate what words can do. A particular sequence of words can change another person's mental state.
usually nobody understands anything they aren't already primed to understand.
It's not the words that are somehow inherently faulty; it's all just about what people say, or don't say.
it's not the hammer that was at fault, i just wasn't skillful enough to unscrew that bolt with it? No seriously i understand that, but it is not a complete truth, it is just one part of a complex idea. It isn't "all" just about what people say or don't say.
Pfft. There's nothing wrong with developing a helpful relationship with a teacher.
except for the fact that
it is so difficult to develop a helpful relationship with a teacher
like there is nothing wrong with surfing when sharks are out hunting seals, you just have to get lucky and find sharks that know you aren't a seal. And the statistics on shark attacks seem to favor swimming with sharks over having a guru, but that may just be my american, pro-freedom, perspective showing.

You do realize there are some major problems with the idea of "the inner light in all people" or "Buddha nature", don't you?
i don't have a grasp on this but the gurus seem to claim to. The roshi has enough sense to say, "you sit there, and i am going to have someone hit you with this stick, and tell you you don't understand, until you are enlightened". haha
As a matter of fact, I don't know this one.
for some reason i always thought they were just saved from the house and didn't get a ride in the cart, hahaha. I guess that isn't how the story goes.
http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/buddhism/parable_burning_house.html
Like I said: I usually feel contempted, despised by theists.
But somehow, in theist/non-theist exchanges, only the stance of the theists is to be considered?
again, you have to be willing to have your ideas disrespected, if the person is otherwise respectful. Maybe that is western too and you weren't born far enough west in the west to feel that way. I was just listening to someone on the radio talking about the muslim idea that our government MUST have promoted the ideas in the film that was just rioted against. They just assume the government controls what people put up and don't understand that we let people say pretty much whatever they want here.
Again, this is a mundane analogy. You will need to explain how it applies when talking about things that are above and beyond the mundane.
just saying there are places where the word "contempt" is appropriate and, you may be wrong about your generalization. Maybe they react very negatively to your ideas if they are opposed to theirs because they are afraid, and i am just projecting my feelings onto what all these theists i have known would think. But i don't think that is the case.
The "solipsistic insanity" I am referring to is another concept for epistemic autonomy. Esp. in Western culture, epistemic autonomy is considered an ideal, often implied, but upon closer inspection, it turns out to be very problematic. I've posted on this at the forums before.
Well there are societal norms, etc etc. I think solipsism is an extreme version of epistemic autonomy that is not celebrated here. One problem with that paper is that i DO have a reason to believe that i am the authority, mainly that eventually the ideas i have that i feel are important are going to get evaluated by me, and i will be the one who has to be satisfied. Someone else's satisfaction with my ideas isn't useful. So epistemic autonomy is just something i have to deal with as best i can, knowing i will probably be wrong some or much of the time. Other people may be more trusting. I mean if Nietzsche says some amazing stuff and some bullshit, who has to sort it out? Me. It is unhelpful if you sort it out and then tell me which of his ideas are crap, because i will always wonder what i think.

Who's to say that someone is "theologically completely out of step with what God would want them to do" ??

If someone knocks on your door, and threatens you with a gun, or offers you flowers, claiming to be doing what God wants them to do, who are you to dispute their motivation?
Do you know what God wants that person to do?
I dispute their motivation based on historical evidence for people using theology in a twisted way that is LOGICALLY inconsistent. If the bible says, don't kill, and the pope says "go kill infidels because God wants you to", and the reason why is that God told some jews to kill some infidels long ago, I have a problem with that. War is a necessary evil sometimes, it isn't God's work. Perhaps there was a time when it was, although i have a hard time understanding that unless i put my buddhist philosophy hat on.

:) I'm not conceding anything. I remain as dubious as ever that economics was "THE driving factor" behind slavery. It was A driving factor. Sometimes it may have been dominant, sometimes maybe not.

Nearly exclusively economic gain; very occasionally other factors may perpetuate it but only as part of a decline. But I still hold to the fact keeping slaves saves money if done sensibly.

This is where you are getting it wrong. Economics was "THE driving factor" (I didn't say "only" for every single situation. I was referring to all slavery; I think you were referring to some specific situations which by no stretch represent a more than small proportion of total slavery, and in fact represented a decline because where any economic driver flails, breakdown is sure to follow). Any thing else was an add-on to this overarching thrust. Shame you can't counter my points . . .

You think that by saying "white slave owners perspective" or somesuch that this gets you out of jail? No way, white slave owners were buying and selling and working slaves for a long time for profit. It was like breeding race horses, or work horses. When they reproduced they were sold off or used to increase the workload of the endeavour, bringing more profit.

So in conclusion, the indubitable driving factor of slavery has and always will be economic gain (the initial buying and selling of humans as property for profit, and the subsequent free labour end-game once the intial price is recouped).

You can keep insisting on something you can't backup as long as you like, but it doesn't get you any kudos out of this debate.

You're speaking as an insider, I am speaking as an outsider to religion.

From my perspective, theistic religions indeed simply seem to be a matter of "anything goes" in the name of God.

Sure, accuse me of not reading or not understanding. You know, the Christians do that too, and the Muslims, etc. - all theists. Theists all make the same kind of accusation, and demand nominally different results, but essentially the same results: that I would believe that their version about God is the one and only true one.

Actually I am speaking about the BG. If someone wants to speak about doing something on the strength of some other authority (be it a religious idea or a notion of transport on public roads) it behooves them to cite it. If someone is talking about how "anything goes", its difficult to see how they could do that on the authority of BG.

If someone insists on being helpless and being capable of doing nothing but sitting on their brains, then I guess one is already at the end of rational discernment so all further discussions become pointless.

I dispute their motivation based on historical evidence for people using theology in a twisted way that is LOGICALLY inconsistent. If the bible says, don't kill, and the pope says "go kill infidels because God wants you to", and the reason why is that God told some jews to kill some infidels long ago, I have a problem with that. War is a necessary evil sometimes, it isn't God's work. Perhaps there was a time when it was, although i have a hard time understanding that unless i put my buddhist philosophy hat on.
From the Crusaders' point of view, the motive wasn't that God told some jews to kill some infidels, but rather, Turkish aggression against European Christianity. After perhaps 200 years of attacks on bands of pilgrims the aggression peaked:

In the tenth century, just when the political and social order of Europe was most troubled, knights, bishops, and abbots, actuated by devotion and a taste for adventure, were wont to visit Jerusalem and pray at the Holy Sepulchre without being molested by the Mohammedans. Suddenly, in 1009, Hakem, the Fatimite Caliph of Egypt, in a fit of madness ordered the destruction of the Holy Sepulchre and all the Christian establishments in Jerusalem. For years thereafter Christians were cruelly persecuted.

There was even a belief that the Turks or Saracens would circumcise pilgrims and sprinkle their blood on the altars.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04543c.htm

Back