Are believers less intelligent than Atheists? Discuss

You too it seems you have been here six years and learnt f**k all.
Translation : You are not an atheist so you are not as smart as me
:shrug:

You automatically equated atheism to high IQ's and science, whereas my statement, wasn't saying anything of the sort. And then you went on to condemn atheism for the assumption you made.

I said " A persons religious affiliation or your lack of belief in god doesn't have anything to do with IQ, but it is common amongst scientist to have High IQ's."

An article for all
Don't know what you are talking about.
You condemned theists for lacking common sense.
I condemned atheists for providing weak arguments and/or having a poor fund of knowledge on the subject (eg engineering strawmen prototypes of god and religion and then clapping each other on the back when they knock them down).

I don't see how over-reliance on fallacious arguments bears an intrinsic connection to high/low IQ

It tends to be more a subset of unbridled political ideology.

I think that's often the case. The rigidity of one's world-view probably is inversely correlated with the crudely-defined variable that we call "intelligence".

But not absolutely. I think that people exist out there who hold very tightly to a particular view of things, probably for emotional reasons. Then they will exert extraordinary creativity and intelligence towards crafting arguments designed to justify that unshakeable view.

Obviously people like Christian theologians or Islamic jurists often fit that description. I think that many of the louder and more aggressive atheists probably do too.

So you think a high level of aggression also indicated high IQ? That really goes against the mainstream opinion, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

To hold on to something stupid for emotional reasons is not smart. :D But ok, if you're slightly autistic and lack the common knowledge about the world you can still be extrememly mathematically gifted, if that's what you meant, or variations on the theme.

I suppose there has to be a balance between strong conviction and open worldview to reach the ultimate level of intelligence. If you doubt everything then life becomes practically difficult to handle, and being rigid as in religion or extreme ateism is also a challange if one aims to pursue progress in life.

You just gave us one with your brief analysis on the origins of religion.

It appears you still have quite a bit to learn on the subject ....

Unsubstantiated claims do nothing for your argument except cast it in a negative light. If you care to explain to me how I have it wrong, then perhaps we can have an enlightening conversation. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air, as usual.

So you think a high level of aggression also indicated high IQ? That really goes against the mainstream opinion, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

To hold on to something stupid for emotional reasons is not smart. :D But ok, if you're slightly autistic and lack the common knowledge about the world you can still be extrememly mathematically gifted, if that's what you meant, or variations on the theme.

I suppose there has to be a balance between strong conviction and open worldview to reach the ultimate level of intelligence. If you doubt everything then life becomes practically difficult to handle, and being rigid as in religion or extreme ateism is also a challange if one aims to pursue progress in life.
I agree with you...
It all seems to come down to how intellectual vanity stands in the way of genuine intelligence.
A religious devotee for example could be said to hold his beliefs typically with a significant emotional investment, vanely used to determine his own sense of self value thus identity.
Like wise with those who are strongly Athiestic also holding to an identity that is of nacissistic origin.
For the mind to be able to function free of emotional hubris generated by vanity these identity orientated beliefs have to be diminshed somewhat to the point where identity is not equated with belief but more as a complete person instead.
One of the greatest lessons of life for me occurred when after sitting through a lecture for 2 hours on "new fangled" Electronic Fuel Injection systems the old coot professor "what's his name" announced to the students that "it was all bullsh*t any way" as we only will ever be replacing and not repairing.

So needless to say most students walked out of the lecture not taking any of it too seriously.

So knowledge is often equated with power, Yet if knowledge [power] is held with vanity, the intelligence is diminished. A degraded intelligence due to vanity makes the knowledge useless.
If the intelligence is vanity driven then it will fail to reach it's full potential regardless of what those beliefs held so tightly may be...

just thoughts...

I agree with you...
It all seems to come down to how intellectual vanity stands in the way of genuine intelligence.
A religious devotee for example could be said to hold his beliefs typically with a significant emotional investment, vanely used to determine his own sense of self value thus identity.
Like wise with those who are strongly Athiestic also holding to an identity that is of nacissistic origin.
For the mind to be able to function free of emotional hubris generated by vanity these identity orientated beliefs have to be diminshed somewhat to the point where identity is not equated with belief but more as a complete person instead.
One of the greatest lessons of life for me occurred when after sitting through a lecture for 2 hours on "new fangled" Electronic Fuel Injection systems the old coot professor "what's his name" announced to the students that "it was all bullsh*t any way" as we only will ever be replacing and not repairing.

So needless to say most students walked out of the lecture not taking any of it too seriously.

So knowledge is often equated with power, Yet if knowledge [power] is held with vanity, the intelligence is diminished. A degraded intelligence due to vanity makes the knowledge useless.
If the intelligence is vanity driven then it will fail to reach it's full potential regardless of what those beliefs held so tightly may be...

just thoughts...

Knowledge is always a tricky business, since we can only have knowledge limited to a particular area or subject, and often very basic and simple. As soon as that knowledge aspires to expand questions regarding its reliability always follows. And as you say, the vanity will try to uphold status quo and claim the knowledge is equally valid, pointing at prior agreements of what is known that still stands strong in the mind of others, when the true pioneer will question and gain more knowledge and is in the long run seen as more intelligent.

Unsubstantiated claims do nothing for your argument except cast it in a negative light. If you care to explain to me how I have it wrong, then perhaps we can have an enlightening conversation. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air, as usual.

You miss the point

Its more that you are making unsubstantiated claims about the origins of religion (and, as an added detail, all for the sake of driving home a personally favored ideology) ... IOW you certainly require quite a lot of hot air to explain how you have it right (which is kind of the length and breadth of fallacious arguments derived from a poor fund of knowledge)

This is all fun talk, but i never said you had to do what I do, you just have to do what you do.

Oh.

perhaps the reason a person isn't coming back again is that they stop believing they are coming back again. from your link - "5) The fact that the Buddha suggested that his contemporaries drop their metaphysical assumptions about personal identity if they wanted to practice the path suggests that he would make the same suggestion to people in the modern world." Ok, so drop them then.

Do you understand this to mean that the Buddha told them to maintain the stance "I have no personal identity"?

"Have to keep believing" - that is so strange to me. Almost as if you're forcing yourself to keep up a pretense.
No, no, no. I tried to explain that, KNOWING somebody was going to jump on that. I don't have to believe in God.

Read again: I didn't suggest that you were talking about having to believe in God. I took issue with the idea of having to believe. Which was, apparently, your focus to begin with:

I personally can't force myself to believe something i don't believe, I am not power of positive thinking enabled. I said, I have to believe THAT God being good is not just God being evil, and, since he is the biggest gorilla in the forest, we call it good. That is a simple cognitive pragmatism. I have to believe i can trust my reality, otherwise i may as well just give up on making sense, or thinking at all.

That is what I find awkward.

It is sometimes said that a neurotic person is someone who tries to mimic the normal person, and thus develops mental and bodily behaviors that normal people don't have.
Ie. a normal person (in contradistinction with a neurotic one) would simply trust their reality, and wouldn't have to make an effort to do so.

Arguably, a Christian has to go through a considerable philosophical ordeal and a tour of will in order to perceive their God as good; A Christian's God's goodness seems first and foremost a construct, and one that takes a lot to maintain. (Which could be a reason why there are so many Christian denominations and so many Christian books.)

I find that in some schools of Hinduism, for example, they don't have this problem: all apparent evil of the world is explained away with karma and reincarnation; and God, even though He is the one making this horrible world ruled by karma and reincarnation possible, is good anyway, because this world is not the alpha and omega of existence, instead, it is only a virtual reality in which living entities are allowed to play out their desire for enjoyment that would be independent from God.

Like I said above, for the concepts of karma and reincarnation to show their explanatory worth, they have to be considered in their traditional form.
In these matters, one either believes there is only this one lifetime to act, or one believes that there are many life times, or one believes in neither in particular.
...or one believes it is true in a different sense. Can you show me i am wrong, and not only claim an idea, but go even further and defend it, or are you just going to state your opinion?

Wrong about what?

I am not sure what part of that paper contains the good argument.

"If the problem with trust is that it leaves us epistemically insecure, given that many people are untrustworthy, why should I be any more secure if I rely upon myself? I do not have evidence that I am more trustworthy than all other people. For one thing, *it is impossible for me to obtain evidence of my trustworthiness as a whole since I have to use my faculties and previous beliefs in order to gather and evaluate the evidence, so it is in principle impossible for me to have evidence that as a whole I am more trustworthy than all other people. By relying upon my powers, I do have evidence that many other people are untrustworthy, but why should that lead me to fall back on my own powers? Using those same powers, I also have evidence that I am sometimes untrustworthy, and I have evidence that in some domains some other people are more trustworthy than I am."

It seemed to focus a lot on what she calls "extreme epistemic egoism", which consists of a person not accepting anybody else's idea for anything at all. Who does that?

People generally don't do it, arguably, because it is impossible to do it, and those who do attempt it, tend to end up in white padded cells.

Nevertheless, epistemic autonomy is, on principle, a much desired state, as evidenced by bits of popular wisdom such as "Don't let anyone tell you what to do," "Be yourself," "Be your own person," "Find out the truth for yourself," etc.
But actually working out the details of this autonomy - what it would consist of - is another matter.

The thing i appreciate is someone like Descartes who can say, "nothing is true", or whatever, he takes a long trip through everything and ends up at ,"I feel like i am here." Then, because it seems logical to him, as it does to me, says "i don't believe somebody out there is just screwing with me, and i don't seem to be crazy, so i guess i have to accept what i think." And then he can build up all kinds of constructs, INCLUDING other people's facts and ideas, no problem. He sees the problem with epistemic democracy, and then he accepts that there is stuff he doesn't know, and then he goes on with his life.

I think Descartes is an extremely poor example. Note that all along, he had full conviction in the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
He did not arrive at this conviction by following the steps he worked out in his philosophy!

Relying on Descartes (and, arguably, most theologians of most religions) is backwards.

Can you tell me what in the paper attacks a reasonable epistemic position?

It doesn't. And it's not clear what a "reasonable epistemic position" would be.

I myself am of the opinion that the self vs. other dichotomy is sometimes useful, and sometimes not. And it's not easy to figure out which is which.
(The concept of epistemic autonomy usually works out of presuming the universal validity of the self vs. other dichotomy; without this dichotomy, the concept of epistemic autonomy collapses.)

But generally, people seem to default to this dichotomy as always being valid, and, moreover, they seem to subscribe to the "person over principle" position.

This can be well seen in the phenomenon of psychological reactance: It occurs in a person who feels reluctant or refuses to do something, even if it is something they desire to do, if the same thing is advised to them by another person; this is because they default to thinking that they would do it because the other person suggested it, which they would experience as a lessening of their personal freedom.

Another example is the way people sometimes evaluate principles depending on who mentions them - as if a principle is only as good as the person who suggests it. For example, a smoker who is reluctant to seriously consider the advice to stop smoking, if they are advised so by a doctor who himself smokes.

Again, it's not clear what a reasonable epistemic position would be.
Obviously, it is inevitable that we learn and take from others. But it's not clear what role the self vs. other dichotomy plays in all this, or how to helpfully conceive of it.

You miss the point

Its more that you are making unsubstantiated claims about the origins of religion (and, as an added detail, all for the sake of driving home a personally favored ideology) ... IOW you certainly require quite a lot of hot air to explain how you have it right (which is kind of the length and breadth of fallacious arguments derived from a poor fund of knowledge)

We've had these discussions before. You know the evidence is with me on this. Where's your evidence? What's your claim, aside from the wrongness of mine? All you're doing is spouting rhetoric to support your worldview. There's no substance there at all, otherwise you wouldn't rely on shrugs and vagueness to make your (obscure) point.

Do you understand this to mean that the Buddha told them to maintain the stance "I have no personal identity"?
Do you understand what the buddha meant? Please claim something so i can make my point from pages back about it being an ideal to claim something. i can assume from my limited understanding that the buddha was saying, "it is harder for a man with egoic baggage to get into heaven, than for a camel to go through a very small gate." Why is most everything you posit the extreme of any idea? Like it can't be, "get rid of attachment as is humanly possible for you in this lifetime", it has to be "have no personal identity". I actually do think we will go through a phase where we will quite possibly not get to keep even .01 % of our identity, but it won't likely be before dying.
Read again: I didn't suggest that you were talking about having to believe in God. I took issue with the idea of having to believe. Which was, apparently, your focus to begin with:
No, i am saying that what i can't believe is that God would be so totally insane as to intervene somehow in this material realm only to tell us the opposite of what is true. If i did, i could become a gnostic or kabbalist, but i don't. I can understand a lot of the message may have been lost in translation, but i don't think it makes sense to turn the whole thing upside down and say, "God sucks because he hates almost everyone, so let's worship. By the way god is love." I don't "have to" do anything other than breathe and eat etc., but i don't believe something that is evil or even half-decent, deserves to be worshipped. Feared maybe, but not worshipped. I "have to" believe what i believe until the belief changes. I don't understand where you are getting all the gritting of teeth and maintenance it takes to have a simple belief that white is white, and if the christian God is anything sensible, then it can't be something not sensible. It is actually a lot easier to believe that than in some God you "have" to call "good" when it doesn't seem good, and you don't think the word applies. I don't have to grit my teeth and try to force a cognitively dissonant idea to be used in my ideology.
That is what I find awkward.
the paragraph above is what i find NOT awkward.
It is sometimes said that a neurotic person is someone who tries to mimic the normal person, and thus develops mental and bodily behaviors that normal people don't have.
Ie. a normal person (in contradistinction with a neurotic one) would simply trust their reality, and wouldn't have to make an effort to do so.
no, a pure epistemic egoist would, not a normal, reasonable person who feels they may have something to learn. I wonder what it feels like to know you can never be wrong again? The ONLY believer i can imagine would feel that way is someone like greatestiam who can say they ARE god (and i could be wrong about even those people). Isn't there a balance between thinking for yourself, and finding people who may have some information on the subject you don't have? Sometimes you trust what someone else says, even though it seems weird, like the whole relativity thing sounds cool, but i can't say i can look at the math and accept it, that it is all just as easy to believe as the roof will stay up. So sometimes you have to trust people and sometimes you don't. In certain areas i will say "most of the time I don't". Other areas I would say "most of the time i do". It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.
Arguably, a Christian has to go through a considerable philosophical ordeal and a tour of will in order to perceive their God as good; A Christian's God's goodness seems first and foremost a construct, and one that takes a lot to maintain. (Which could be a reason why there are so many Christian denominations and so many Christian books.)
no. christianity, as generally understood, is basically a religion deeply influenced by western philosophy. So martin luther didn't sit around waiting for someone to ok his ideas - he was told by his predecessors in the west (starting with plato's cave maybe) that the group is not always more correct than the individual. Were Luther's ideas "divine inspiration, irrefutable words from God," or were they just something that made more sense than some other interpretation? I mean someone saying, "the pope isn't always right," doesn't have to be taking every bowel movement for God when he says it, for it to be the truth.

I find that in some schools of Hinduism, for example, they don't have this problem: all apparent evil of the world is explained away with karma and reincarnation; and God, even though He is the one making this horrible world ruled by karma and reincarnation possible, is good anyway, because this world is not the alpha and omega of existence, instead, it is only a virtual reality in which living entities are allowed to play out their desire for enjoyment that would be independent from God.
that's great, i just don't happen to believe in it because it doesn't make sense to me that we shouldn't respect our feelings and ideas, and instead look at it all as "false". This is real. It may not be everything that is real, or even the most important thing that is real, but it deserves some respect and honor anyway.
Wrong about what?
i was asking you to show me i am wrong about using reincarnation as "past and future", instead of "past and biological lives". I really don't claim to be an expert on buddhism, but it seems like a useful interpretation, even if it is only a metaphor. That link you posted doesn't do it for me without a better explanation.
"If the problem with trust is that it leaves us epistemically insecure, given that many people are untrustworthy, why should I be any more secure if I rely upon myself? I do not have evidence that I am more trustworthy than all other people. For one thing, *it is impossible for me to obtain evidence of my trustworthiness as a whole since I have to use my faculties and previous beliefs in order to gather and evaluate the evidence, so it is in principle impossible for me to have evidence that as a whole I am more trustworthy than all other people. By relying upon my powers, I do have evidence that many other people are untrustworthy, but why should that lead me to fall back on my own powers? Using those same powers, I also have evidence that I am sometimes untrustworthy, and I have evidence that in some domains some other people are more trustworthy than I am."
i don't care about that, because i already know you can't go around arguing with the judge about the law, or with the structural engineer about the posts that hold your house onto the hill. Or with the astronomer about which stars are more than x million light years away, or with someone who says, "i feel x, don't tell me what i feel".
Nevertheless, epistemic autonomy is, on principle, a much desired state, as evidenced by bits of popular wisdom such as "Don't let anyone tell you what to do," "Be yourself," "Be your own person," "Find out the truth for yourself," etc.But actually working out the details of this autonomy - what it would consist of - is another matter.
like i said earlier in this post, it doesn't seem that complicated to me.
I think Descartes is an extremely poor example. Note that all along, he had full conviction in the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
He did not arrive at this conviction by following the steps he worked out in his philosophy! so you are
Relying on Descartes (and, arguably, most theologians of most religions) is backwards.
Descartes started with the idea that a demon was tricking him, so he can't start with "god is true", or any other catholic idea, otherwise his "proofs" would be invalidated.
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/descartes/section2.rhtml
Most of meditation II is devoted to discovering whether there is anything about which Descartes can be absolutely certain. First he decides he can be certain that he exists, because if he doubts, there must be a thinking mind to do the doubting. He does not yet accept that he is a thinking mind inside a body. After all, the demon could have convinced him that his body and the physical world exist. He moves to another question: what is the �I� that is doing the thinking?
i am not relying on descartes philosophy anyway, i am just saying that he understood epistemic independence and epistemic interdependence are good to use together, not to pick one or the other as a pure position. First you accept that you are thinking, that you can't but do otherwise and nobody else is going to do it for you, then you accept that you may not think everything correctly, then you try to make sense of what you think along with what other people may think. It isn't that difficult.
And it's not clear what a "reasonable epistemic position" would be.
yes it is.
This can be well seen in the phenomenon of psychological reactance: It occurs in a person who feels reluctant or refuses to do something, even if it is something they desire to do, if the same thing is advised to them by another person; this is because they default to thinking that they would do it because the other person suggested it, which they would experience as a lessening of their personal freedom.
unintelligent to act that way. If someone says, "do this" and doesn't provide a way for you to do that, perhaps you just can't do it, but if you can do it and want to do it, and you are just too unintelligent to realize you can kill two birds with one stone that is too bad. I think this has more to do with manipulative communication http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_Communication than anything else. People want to teach the other person that they can't be told what to do, and since they can't communicate well, they do it by hurting themselves, instead of just saying, "i'm not doing this because you told me to, i wanted to anyway."
Another example is the way people sometimes evaluate principles depending on who mentions them - as if a principle is only as good as the person who suggests it. For example, a smoker who is reluctant to seriously consider the advice to stop smoking, if they are advised so by a doctor who himself smokes.
this is a perfect example of someone who doesn't understand what a doctor is. the doctor is not a role model, but rather an information and healthcare provider. Assuming the doctor is not lying about the dangers of smoking, the only reasonable idea is that doctors also do stupid crap. Since it has been shown historically that people of all professions do stupid crap (even presidents,kings, and religious leaders), it is quite reasonable to infer that this doctor is telling the truth since it is his job to do so about your treatment, and that the doctor just doesn't care or is terribly addicted to smoking.
Again, it's not clear what a reasonable epistemic position would be.
Obviously, it is inevitable that we learn and take from others. But it's not clear what role the self vs. other dichotomy plays in all this, or how to helpfully conceive of it.
it is to me. Run everything through the only filter i have. Things that pass through with no indicators don't need to be studied further. Things that pass through and set off the "that is cool" light, should get more attention when possible. Things that set off the "that is wrong" light need to be studied to find out why, perhaps i am wrong, perhaps they are wrong. They can't think my thoughts for me though. What is so difficult about trusting yourself enough to know what you need to do? I am not even saying it is easy doing it, but knowing it shouldn't be that hard. And sometimes you know that you don't know and maybe nobody knows. Sometimes you can even know that what you are thinking is incorrect, not because someone is saying something else, but just because lack of sleep has pushed you into a temporary negative place or whatever.

We've had these discussions before. You know the evidence is with me on this. Where's your evidence? What's your claim, aside from the wrongness of mine? All you're doing is spouting rhetoric to support your worldview. There's no substance there at all, otherwise you wouldn't rely on shrugs and vagueness to make your (obscure) point.

so let's get this straight - Are you making a claim about the origins of religion?
If yes, please provide evidence.

Thanks in advance .

So you think a high level of aggression also indicated high IQ? That really goes against the mainstream opinion

No, I didn't say that. (You seem to be reacting to my phrase "louder and more aggressive atheists".)

I was suggesting that very intelligent people sometimes do grasp very tightly to unshakeable beliefs and belief systems, typically for emotional reasons. They will be very reluctant to seriously consider the possibility that they might be wrong. What these people will do instead is devote extraordinary creativity in rationalizing the things that they already believe, and sometimes in attacking those who think differently.

We see this all the time in partisan politics. (Think of Hannity and Maddow on Fox and MSNBC. Think of looney-tunes Marxist university professors with PhDs.) It's common among religious believers. (My examples of very smart people with unshakeable religious beliefs were highly educated theologians and Islamic jurists.) And yes, we sometimes see intelligent people with closed minds among atheists too, people who will never budge from their emotional belief that religion totally sucks, and who love to argue against religious people who they think of as being far more stupid than themselves.

To hold on to something stupid for emotional reasons is not smart.

I totally agree with that, but the fact remains that very intelligent people do it all the time. The thing is, people are rarely just Spock-style pure-intellects. They are passionate as well. They have their insider 'Us' things (and people and causes) that they love, and there will often be outsider 'Them' things that they hate... for emotional reasons that have little or nothing to do with their brains.

I guess that that what I'm saying is that highly intelligent people don't always behave in smart ways.

Yeah, I certainly agree with that. It isn't always easy finding the right balance though. It's possible to become too skeptical, doubting every thought and idea to the point of nihilism. And it's possible to be too confident and trusting of ideas that need improvement or replacement.

What many people seem to do is grasp onto a core of beliefs that they will never question, and then they use their brains to evaluate everything else in terms of that core-faith.

My own practice is basically to weight things in terms of plausibility and believability. I think that some of my beliefs are very basic and well-founded, and while I'm not totally reluctant to modifying them, it would take a lot of persuading to bring me around to doing it. (An example might be the independent objective reality of the world around me.) And others of my beliefs are loosely held hypotheses, little more than shots in the dark, and I might change those beliefs whenever new information comes along. (My views on the Eurozone crisis, perhaps.)

But while my different beliefs possess different weights and hence require more or less intellectual force to budge them, I try to remember that every belief is fallible and might ultimately turn out to be wrong.

Translation : You are not an atheist so you are not as smart as me
Now! Now showing your childish side.

LG said:
Don't know what you are talking about.
You condemned theists for lacking common sense.
Where! Do you have a reading problem. I said "However all of the intelligence in the world is of little use if judgement is clouded by primitive superstition.
A genius be he religious or not, who lacks common sense. Doesn't use his intelligence." You are either ignorant or being purposely dishonest. Or dare I say " you're as dumb as a box of frogs ".

What a silly thread... It is absurd to try to relate religion to intelligence. What this all comes down to is the individual claiming that what they believe personally is evidence that they are more intelligent than a person that believes something else.

It is like trying to prove that people who think blue is the prettiest color are less intelligent than people who think green is. By the way green is the best color.

No, I didn't say that. (You seem to be reacting to my phrase "louder and more aggressive atheists".)

I was suggesting that very intelligent people sometimes do grasp very tightly to unshakeable beliefs and belief systems, typically for emotional reasons. They will be very reluctant to seriously consider the possibility that they might be wrong. What these people will do instead is devote extraordinary creativity in rationalizing the things that they already believe, and sometimes in attacking those who think differently.

We see this all the time in partisan politics. (Think of Hannity and Maddow on Fox and MSNBC. Think of looney-tunes Marxist university professors with PhDs.) It's common among religious believers. (My examples of very smart people with unshakeable religious beliefs were highly educated theologians and Islamic jurists.) And yes, we sometimes see intelligent people with closed minds among atheists too, people who will never budge from their emotional belief that religion totally sucks, and who love to argue against religious people who they think of as being far more stupid than themselves.

I totally agree with that, but the fact remains that very intelligent people do it all the time. The thing is, people are rarely just Spock-style pure-intellects. They are passionate as well. They have their insider 'Us' things (and people and causes) that they love, and there will often be outsider 'Them' things that they hate... for emotional reasons that have little or nothing to do with their brains.

I guess that that what I'm saying is that highly intelligent people don't always behave in smart ways.

Yeah, I certainly agree with that. It isn't always easy finding the right balance though. It's possible to become too skeptical, doubting every thought and idea to the point of nihilism. And it's possible to be too confident and trusting of ideas that need improvement or replacement.

What many people seem to do is grasp onto a core of beliefs that they will never question, and then they use their brains to evaluate everything else in terms of that core-faith.

My own practice is basically to weight things in terms of plausibility and believability. I think that some of my beliefs are very basic and well-founded, and while I'm not totally reluctant to modifying them, it would take a lot of persuading to bring me around to doing it. (An example might be the independent objective reality of the world around me.) And others of my beliefs are loosely held hypotheses, little more than shots in the dark, and I might change those beliefs whenever new information comes along. (My views on the Eurozone crisis, perhaps.)

But while my different beliefs possess different weights and hence require more or less intellectual force to budge them, I try to remember that every belief is fallible and might ultimately turn out to be wrong.

I get your point, quirky personality traits are common among the very intelligent, but when it goes to extremes as in holding on to irrational fix ideas for no logical reason than emotional attachment then I would define those people as having a limited intelligence to a particular area and unable to see the big picture and these type of people are imo unsuitable to be in leaderpostitions because of that, but as you say they are unfortunately found among fanatic religious leaders and in fanatic atheist groups and other similar postitions. They should be kept in restricted closed areas. :D

I don't think my IQ is very high, since I get bored with IQ tests...well it was a long time ago since I did one and then ended up with 130 , but at that point I was constantly stoned, so the result could vary now, for the better or the worse? But I have a lot of common sense.

What a silly thread... It is absurd to try to relate religion to intelligence. What this all comes down to is the individual claiming that what they believe personally is evidence that they are more intelligent than a person that believes something else.

It is like trying to prove that people who think blue is the prettiest color are less intelligent than people who think green is. By the way green is the best color.

It isn't silly to ask a question. The onus is on the contributors to take their own conclusions from the interactions here. It would be silly to say believers ARE less intelligent than atheists without comprehensive data. But to just pose a question is perfectly legitimate.

Your analogies are flawed. Blue is a verifiable colour experience. God is unverifiable. (if we take an empirically sourced axiological stance).

Saying, someone believes an empirically verifiable fact, is equatable to believing an unverifiable maybe, is silly . . ?

I am aware that a liking for a certain colour is a personal opinion. And believing in god is a personal experience. But one verifiably exists, the other does not . . .

No. Purple is the best color. That's obvious because they ration it. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to order, say, a purple Chevrolet? You can walk into any Chevy dealer in America and drive home in a blue or green one two hours later!

I don't think my IQ is very high, since I get bored with IQ tests...well it was a long time ago since I did one and then ended up with 130 , but at that point I was constantly stoned, so the result could vary now, for the better or the worse?
In my observation and that of rather a lot of friends, marijuana seems to impair left-brain processing. That's logic and linear thinking, which IMO is primarily what IQ tests cover. My crowd was all computer programmers, engineers, scientists, statisticians, attorneys, etc.: people who practice logic and linear thinking for a living. Even though none of us ever joined Mensa we all took the self-administered test (sober) and our average IQ was 140.

When stoned, these people still had enough IQ points to make rational decisions about cooking, driving, not jumping off the roof, etc., but their left hemisphere was no longer lording it over their right. They'd compose music, write poetry, paint, and do other creative right-hemisphere things that they couldn't do under normal circumstances because the other hemisphere seized control and demanded more Fortran, nuclear physics, case law and differential equations.

So if the size of my sample (a couple of dozen people over forty years) is large enough to validate the experiment, I'd suggest that your IQ when not stoned is ten or twenty points higher.

Unless, like me, you've spent several decades working in civil service. That lowers your IQ by one point per year. And it does NOT increase creativity!

No. Purple is the best color. That's obvious because they ration it. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to order, say, a purple Chevrolet? You can walk into any Chevy dealer in America and drive home in a blue or green one two hours later!

In my observation and that of rather a lot of friends, marijuana seems to impair left-brain processing. That's logic and linear thinking, which IMO is primarily what IQ tests cover. My crowd was all computer programmers, engineers, scientists, statisticians, attorneys, etc.: people who practice logic and linear thinking for a living. Even though none of us ever joined Mensa we all took the self-administered test (sober) and our average IQ was 140.

When stoned, these people still had enough IQ points to make rational decisions about cooking, driving, not jumping off the roof, etc., but their left hemisphere was no longer lording it over their right. They'd compose music, write poetry, paint, and do other creative right-hemisphere things that they couldn't do under normal circumstances because the other hemisphere seized control and demanded more Fortran, nuclear physics, case law and differential equations.

So if the size of my sample (a couple of dozen people over forty years) is large enough to validate the experiment, I'd suggest that your IQ when not stoned is ten or twenty points higher.

Unless, like me, you've spent several decades working in civil service. That lowers your IQ by one point per year. And it does NOT increase creativity!

Interesting study! Thanks for giving me hope that all my braincells may not have been burnt away, allthough the two past year my life has mostly evolved around hospitals and arranging funerals, which could have had a negative impact same as civil service.

Now! Now showing your childish side.

will the irony never end?

You : You too it seems you have been here six years and learnt f**k all.
Me : Translation : You are not an atheist so you are not as smart as me

Where! Do you have a reading problem. I said "However all of the intelligence in the world is of little use if judgement is clouded by primitive superstition.
A genius be he religious or not, who lacks common sense. Doesn't use his intelligence." You are either ignorant or being purposely dishonest. Or dare I say " you're as dumb as a box of frogs ".
If you were trying to establish "primitive superstition" and "lack of common sense" as existing in a relationship other than effect and cause with that paragraph, you certainly failed.

OMG!!!... we actally agree.... unintentional of course....except mine is not green.

Back