Are believers less intelligent than Atheists? Discuss

What a silly thread... It is absurd to try to relate religion to intelligence. What this all comes down to is the individual claiming that what they believe personally is evidence that they are more intelligent than a person that believes something else.

It is like trying to prove that people who think blue is the prettiest color are less intelligent than people who think green is. By the way green is the best color.

You're right. But I doubt that is the intention behind these exercises.
I think these ideas are perpetuated to imprint a stereo-typical ideology on the mind, so it becomes ''normal''
to accept that ''maybe'' atheists are more intelligent. In this way the possibility of the idea takes up residence unbeknown to the person.

Much like when we think of ''terrorism'' and ''terrorist'', most of us will automatically think of ''Islam'', ''muslim'', middle-east, or something like that.

jan.

You're right. But I doubt that is the intention behind these exercises.
I think these ideas are perpetuated to imprint a stereo-typical ideology on the mind, so it becomes ''normal''
to accept that ''maybe'' atheists are more intelligent. In this way the possibility of the idea takes up residence unbeknown to the person.

Much like when we think of ''terrorism'' and ''terrorist'', most of us will automatically think of ''Islam'', ''muslim'', middle-east, or something like that.

jan.
Actually I thought the whole purpose of the thread was to flame those who were of a theistic persuasion.

Do you understand what the buddha meant? Please claim something so i can make my point from pages back about it being an ideal to claim something. i can assume from my limited understanding that the buddha was saying, "it is harder for a man with egoic baggage to get into heaven, than for a camel to go through a very small gate." Why is most everything you posit the extreme of any idea? Like it can't be, "get rid of attachment as is humanly possible for you in this lifetime", it has to be "have no personal identity". I actually do think we will go through a phase where we will quite possibly not get to keep even .01 % of our identity, but it won't likely be before dying.

Since you have referred to Buddhism several times and expressed an aspiration toward Buddhism, I took it that it goes without saying that you know that one of the central tenets of all official mainstream Buddhist doctrines is that the Buddha taught there is no self, no separate personality, no individual personality, and that these, at best, are merely an illusion.
And also, that since you have referred to Buddhism several times and expressed an aspiration toward Buddhism, I took it that it goes without saying that you know that this tenet is controversial in the Buddhist community itself, and actually difficult to support with the Pali Canon. The essay that I linked to on the importance of belief in karma and rebirth was written by a Buddhist teacher and scholar who maintains that the Buddha never taught there is no self, but only that he said that the things we usually identify with (body, feelings, thoughts) are not the self.
So I asked you "Do you understand this to mean that the Buddha told them to maintain the stance "I have no personal identity"?" to see which side of the controversy you are on.

No, i am saying that what i can't believe is that God would be so totally insane as to intervene somehow in this material realm only to tell us the opposite of what is true. If i did, i could become a gnostic or kabbalist, but i don't. I can understand a lot of the message may have been lost in translation, but i don't think it makes sense to turn the whole thing upside down and say, "God sucks because he hates almost everyone, so let's worship. By the way god is love." I don't "have to" do anything other than breathe and eat etc., but i don't believe something that is evil or even half-decent, deserves to be worshipped. Feared maybe, but not worshipped. I "have to" believe what i believe until the belief changes. I don't understand where you are getting all the gritting of teeth and maintenance it takes to have a simple belief that white is white, and if the christian God is anything sensible, then it can't be something not sensible. It is actually a lot easier to believe that than in some God you "have" to call "good" when it doesn't seem good, and you don't think the word applies. I don't have to grit my teeth and try to force a cognitively dissonant idea to be used in my ideology.

It's interesting how in this, you never question your own values, only God's - you believe to know what is true, and if it is should turn out you're wrong, you're willing to go to hell, rather than change your sense of right and wrong.

no, a pure epistemic egoist would, not a normal, reasonable person who feels they may have something to learn.

Frankly, now I think you are arguing just for the sake of arguing with me, and/or to appear good.

I wonder what it feels like to know you can never be wrong again?

I would presume you already know that, given that you believe that it is clear to you what a reasonable epistemic position is.

no. christianity, as generally understood, is basically a religion deeply influenced by western philosophy. So martin luther didn't sit around waiting for someone to ok his ideas - he was told by his predecessors in the west (starting with plato's cave maybe) that the group is not always more correct than the individual. Were Luther's ideas "divine inspiration, irrefutable words from God," or were they just something that made more sense than some other interpretation? I mean someone saying, "the pope isn't always right," doesn't have to be taking every bowel movement for God when he says it, for it to be the truth.

Speaking of Luther - some believe that Luther was suffering from scrupolosity, and that his turning away from Catholicism was actually a misguided attempt to manage the scrupulosity.

I find that in some schools of Hinduism, for example, they don't have this problem: all apparent evil of the world is explained away with karma and reincarnation; and God, even though He is the one making this horrible world ruled by karma and reincarnation possible, is good anyway, because this world is not the alpha and omega of existence, instead, it is only a virtual reality in which living entities are allowed to play out their desire for enjoyment that would be independent from God.
that's great, i just don't happen to believe in it because it doesn't make sense to me that we shouldn't respect our feelings and ideas, and instead look at it all as "false".

Where did anyone say that you should not respect your feelings and ideas and instead look at it all as false?

This is real. It may not be everything that is real, or even the most important thing that is real, but it deserves some respect and honor anyway.

If only you'd respect and honor other people's feelings and ideas ...

i was asking you to show me i am wrong about using reincarnation as "past and future", instead of "past and biological lives". I really don't claim to be an expert on buddhism, but it seems like a useful interpretation, even if it is only a metaphor. That link you posted doesn't do it for me without a better explanation.

I don't understand. Could you restate the problem, or point me to the post where you first brought it up, please?

Descartes started with the idea that a demon was tricking him, so he can't start with "god is true", or any other catholic idea, otherwise his "proofs" would be invalidated.

I said:

I think Descartes is an extremely poor example. Note that all along, he had full conviction in the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
He did not arrive at this conviction by following the steps he worked out in his philosophy!

In his philosophical works, he indeed tried to f work out reasons for belief in God. But IRL, for himself, he did not use those. He did not have to rely on his philosophy for his belief in God. At the end of the day, he could blow out the candles on his writing desk and go to bed, and sleep peacefully, sure of the Catholic doctrine. Which is not the case of those who are not already theists/Catholic and who are trying to follow the steps he worked out in his texts: they don't arrive at the same conclusions Descartes did.

i am not relying on descartes philosophy anyway, i am just saying that he understood epistemic independence and epistemic interdependence are good to use together, not to pick one or the other as a pure position. First you accept that you are thinking, that you can't but do otherwise and nobody else is going to do it for you, then you accept that you may not think everything correctly, then you try to make sense of what you think along with what other people may think. It isn't that difficult.

Again, these philosophical games can be peacefully played by people who are already sure, like Descartes, of some basic premises, the validity of which they never establish in their texts, but take them for granted.

unintelligent to act that way. If someone says, "do this" and doesn't provide a way for you to do that, perhaps you just can't do it, but if you can do it and want to do it, and you are just too unintelligent to realize you can kill two birds with one stone that is too bad. I think this has more to do with manipulative communication http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_Communication than anything else. People want to teach the other person that they can't be told what to do, and since they can't communicate well, they do it by hurting themselves, instead of just saying, "i'm not doing this because you told me to, i wanted to anyway."

Interesting interpretation, sounds very American.
I don't think this is what goes on in psychological reactance.

What is so difficult about trusting yourself enough to know what you need to do? I am not even saying it is easy doing it, but knowing it shouldn't be that hard.

The difficulty is not about "trusting yourself" (that's a problematic term anyway).
The difficulty is in not knowing whether something is indeed a need, or a mere desire.
The difficulty is due to knowing, based on past experience, that there is no guarantee that acting on a desire will lead to happiness.
The difficulty is in figuring out what a worthy goal is.
The difficulty is in not knowing what will lead to true happiness, and what will not.

What a silly thread... It is absurd to try to relate religion to intelligence. What this all comes down to is the individual claiming that what they believe personally is evidence that they are more intelligent than a person that believes something else.

It is like trying to prove that people who think blue is the prettiest color are less intelligent than people who think green is. By the way green is the best color.

Just for the record, are you religious or atheist?

Origin is absolutely correct, it is absurd to relate religion to intelligence. The two are mutually exclusive.

Actually I thought the whole purpose of the thread was to flame those who were of a theistic persuasion.

By asking a question?

I doubt it. They just keep putting these ideas out there.
Notice how it's always a question of whether believers step up to the mark, not the other way round.

Are atheists as intelligent as theists?
You'll be hard pushed to find this question out there.

jan.

It's not absurd to relate religion to intelligence. It's not absurd to relate any behaviour, thoughtpattern, conviction, idea, opinion or worldview to intelligence.

I didn't find an old thread presenting an argument or evidence to spark the question "are atheists less intelligent than believers". But if I had the thread's title would have been reversed.
So:
Are atheists less intelligent than believers? Discuss

Does that make y'all feel better? Why not open your own thread with this new, improved title and link it to some surveys presenting supportive evidence?

I can make one concession here. Gnostic atheists are just as bad as believers; both believe in a maybe . . .

I didn't find an old thread presenting an argument or evidence to spark the question "are atheists less intelligent than believers". But if I had the thread's title would have been reversed.
So:
Are atheists less intelligent than believers? Discuss

Does that make y'all feel better? Why not open your own thread with this new, improved title and link it to some surveys presenting supportive evidence?

I can make one concession here. Gnostic atheists are just as bad as believers; both believe in a maybe . . .

Just making an observation.

''Are atheists less intelligent than theists''?

Just as some religious folk make an effort to become righteous human beings, due to their religious leanings,
atheists make an effort to increase their smartness. This can be construed as ''increasing their intelligence'' because smartness is related
to IQ.

But there is an overall intelligence which is not concerned with collecting unrelated information.
In this playing field the atheist generally tend to lack, by putting forward their smartness, instead of
thinking things out for themselves. Whereas a theist is more likely to draw from experience. If there is no data for his particular
experience, the smart atheist tends to be at a loss, and if he is proud, there goes any chance of a constructive discussion or debate.

In social living, theists tend to run better societies than atheists, as atheist societies must become very authoritarian in order to control
a free thinking society. Theists usually have a heirachical system where everyone naturally falls within a particular level. Of course this can go
horribly wrong depending on who has the reigns. But the idea is, in my mind, natural to human life and therefore superior.

jan.

In social living, theists tend to run better societies than atheists, as atheist societies must become very authoritarian in order to control
a free thinking society. Theists usually have a heirachical system where everyone naturally falls within a particular level. Of course this can go
horribly wrong depending on who has the reigns. But the idea is, in my mind, natural to human life and therefore superior.

jan.
now there's a controversial opinion...almost as controversial as the thread title....hmmmmmm :)

One thing is sure, we all have our own beliefs in life. It doesn't matter now what your religion is or what group organization for believe you are in. At the end of day it is still your own understanding that will drive you to your senses. What we need to learn is to respect others as well as their own beliefs. Learning and understanding is the key to be a better person.

One thing is sure, we all have our own beliefs in life. It doesn't matter now what your religion is or what group organization for believe you are in. At the end of day it is still your own understanding that will drive you to your senses. What we need to learn is to respect others as well as their own beliefs. Learning and understanding is the key to be a better person.

Interestingly, the result (ie. a respect for others and productive exchanges with them) is the same if one simply minds one's own business.

now there's a controversial opinion...almost as controversial as the thread title....hmmmmmm :)

Why controversial?
There is no atheist society, only societies who lack theism, and societies who irradicate theism
never prosper, always ending up in a bloody state.

The danger, is not really atheism, as that merely takes on theism. It's ''materialism'' of which atheism is an off-shoot, that
does the real damage. Humans aren't supposed to live like animals, pure and simple. There IS a difference.

jan.

Why controversial?

It's certainly controversial as far as rat psychology goes. "Rat psychology" is a derogatory term for an old trend in Western psychology to do experiments on animals (especially on rats) or to observe and study animal behavior, and then based on those findings make conclusions about all animals and humans, and consider those conclusions normative.

Even though many people nowadays find the principle behind rat psychology to be preposterous, they nevertheless sometimes make claims about what "natural" behavior for humans is supposed to be, based on selective consideration of some animal behaviors. For example, claiming that the sexuality of bonobo chimpazees is to be taken as the norm for humans.

Humans aren't supposed to live like animals, pure and simple.

Like which animals, in what aspects?

Sure, it would be counterproductive for a human living in human civilization to roll in the mud like pigs, for example. For pigs and some other animals, taking mud baths is essential for their hygiene, as this way, the dangerous parasites on their skin get removed. Even people resort to this practice when no other means are available (for example, in rural parts of Africa they still treat head lice with the application of mud to the scalp).

Many animals are extremely frugal with their food, engage in intercourse only when they are able to provide for the offspring, they have great courage and endurance, patience, they care for their fellow group members and have many more admirable qualities. Humans often lack these admirable qualities.

So I think "Humans aren't supposed to live like animals" is a very ambiguous and loaded statement.

wynn,

It's certainly controversial as far as rat psychology goes. "Rat psychology" is a derogatory term for an old trend in Western psychology to do experiments on animals (especially on rats) or to observe and study animal behavior, and then based on those findings make conclusions about all animals and humans, and consider those conclusions normative.

Fine. But I'm not talking about ''rat psychology'' in anyway, shape or form. In fact, this kind of experimentation is very much a part of the materialist/atheist societies I'm refering to. It could be said that this kind of behaviour is a symptom of such societies.

Even though many people nowadays find the principle behind rat psychology to be preposterous, they nevertheless sometimes make claims about what "natural" behavior for humans is supposed to be, based on selective consideration of some animal behaviors. For example, claiming that the sexuality of bonobo chimpazees is to be taken as the norm for humans.

Well, would you agree we currently live in a ''rat psychology'' world?
And would you agree that the majority of the human population are living in dire conditions?
Do you think those humans want to live like that, or do you think they are forced to?

Like which animals, in what aspects?

Animals who lack the capacity to enquire about their true nature, and the origin of that nature.

So I think "Humans aren't supposed to live like animals" is a very ambiguous and loaded statement.

All statement can ''loaded and ambiguous'' if you want them to be.
Stick to the points I make, and let's discuss those for more clarity.

jan.

There is a vast difference between the "lesser animal world" and humans...IMO
One of the key normalitive difference between say a rats' behaviour and that of a normal human is that we humans have the capacity to deny our instinctive feelings. We have the ability to say no to our sexual urges and we have the ability to say no to our violent tendancies. It is this key ability to say no to our instinctive selves that affords us the ability to reason and rationalise...our existence and nonexistence.
we also have the ability to "live like anmals" too...

Yeah, there's probably some of that. But I think that the talk that one often sees on atheist discussion boards about atheist intellectual superiority is mostly atheists just talking to themselves.

Feeling superior is a way for people to feel good about themselves, by defining themselves as being members of an elite, above all the inferior others that they've defined as being beneath them.

People enjoy thinking that they are smarter (or better looking, more popular or powerful) than other people, even when they aren't. (And especially when they don't have to actually do anything to demonstrate it.) Feeling superior makes people feel good and gives them an opportunity to throw their little chests out and strut around like roosters.

Religious people do the same thing in reverse in their own congregations, making equally unlikely remarks about the atheists outside the walls - telling each other that atheists are psychologically unsatisfied and unhappy relative to people like themselves, or that atheists lack a sound moral foundation and are prone to crime and to dissolute and disfunctional lifestyles. That kind of talk is common among religious believers.

I'm skeptical about these kind of assertions both ways.

Even if somebody succeeds in producing a so-called "study" that purports to show that there are slight differences in the averages for the respective groups on some measure of some variable, we still can't conclude that a randomly selected member of the ostensibly "superior" group is individually going to be superior to a randomly selected member of the opposing "inferior" group. There's going to be way too much overlap in the distributions to conclude anything like that.

Back