Any atheists here who were once believers?

I think it does require faith, though: faith in the sense of daring to think in new ways, the faith of going beyond one's comfort zone.

A word that in this context is synonymous with "faith," but carries less baggage, is "courage."

What have I said that could be categorised under ''daring to think new ways?

jan.

wynn do you see yourself as a weak agnostic. Do you virtually accept there is a spiritual realm, but still a little uncertain? So don't you have any paranormal experiences? Or do you rationalise them away?
How are the holy books written in your view?
Sorry about all the questions.

What have I said that could be categorised under ''daring to think new way's?

Your focus on asking "Are you your body?" Then, questioning whether she really was a theist or not. Or noting how Darwinian evolution is at odds with theism.

I heaped on it from the beginning on by pointing out that Christianity isn't the alpha and omega of religion.

Etc.

For the OP, those things were new, and challenging, and she has often perceived them as insulting. Even though no insult was intended.

No. You don't seem to get what she is saying.
Wynn is never clear cut. She is deep thinking multi levelled language.
What do you think she meant then?

Quote Originally Posted by Balerion
I'm perfectly capable of understanding what it is that makes him believe. All he needs to do is share.
Wynn "That is so only from the perspective of strong atheism."

So can Balerion know what it feels like "to know God" if he is an atheist?

Can an atheist convert to religion then? (I was going to say to Christianity but I not sure what wynn is)
It would need a miracle really.

It depends on what that person who identifies themselves as an "atheist" means by "atheism", and by all the terms in his particular definition of "atheism."

I think a strong atheist cannot convert, but a weak atheist may.

wynn do you see yourself as a weak agnostic. Do you virtually accept there is a spiritual realm, but still a little uncertain? So don't you have any paranormal experiences? Or do you rationalise them away?
How are the holy books written in your view?
Sorry about all the questions.

In regard to theism, a "weak agnostic" is someone who believes he doesn't know God, but that God may be known.
A weak atheist is someone who doesn't believe God exists, but believes that evidence may emerge in the future that would prove God's existence.

For myself, I am in roundabout a mixture of the above, but leaning more into atheism in the sense that I don't act in daily life as if God exists. It's complex.

Do you virtually accept there is a spiritual realm, but still a little uncertain? So don't you have any paranormal experiences? Or do you rationalise them away?

I have no issue with these things.

What argument can you make to change their minds. You should dust off you magic wand, and do some miracles. The apostles were able.

Arguments for and against are meant to make people think about a topic, not to change their minds.

It depends on what that person who identifies themselves as an "atheist" means by "atheism", and by all the terms in his particular definition of "atheism."

I think a strong atheist cannot convert, but a weak atheist may.
Like if Jan raised someone from the grave they might.

Wynn is never clear cut. She is deep thinking multi levelled language.

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but whatever. It's not deep thinking, it's lazy thinking. It's also not something she applies to herself, since she claims to understand everyone else in spite of not sharing their views or beliefs.

What do you think she meant then?

What she meant was that I'm not capable of understanding what makes Jan a believer because I'm not a believer myself, which is a ridiculous assertion countered quite well by Seattle's home run analogy.

So can Balerion know what it feels like "to know God" if he is an atheist?

Being an atheist simply means that I don't believe in any gods. That's all.

Wynn likes to play semantic games, retreating from any criticism of her position by saying something like "It's all about which definitions you work with." But this is a disingenuous position, because it assumes that all definitions are valid, as well as assuming that one's belief system has any bearing whatsoever on the existence (or not) of an actual deity.

Why would it need a miracle?

In a world where theists feel personally responsible for changing other people's minds, miracles can be seen as a tool, sometimes a necessity.
But key is the idea of changing other people on one's own terms, overriding their free will. And in regard to making people believe in God, also overriding God's will.

"I'm the theist, and I will make you believe in God, regardless whether you want to or not, and regardless whether God wants to or not!"

In regard to theism, a "weak agnostic" is someone who believes he doesn't know God, but that God may be known.
A weak atheist is someone who doesn't believe God exists, but believes that evidence may emerge in the future that would prove God's existence.

For myself, I am in roundabout a mixture of the above, but leaning more into atheism in the sense that I don't act in daily life as if God exists. It's complex.

I have no issue with these things.
So you don't need "God" to accept paranormal experiences? What do you put them down to?

Robbitybob1:

There may have been a time in human evolution when murdering was considered a good thing to do.

People throughout history have managed to find ways to justify murder to themselves, even mass murder.

Part of the problem is that people all have ideas of "us" and "them". We're supposed to act morally towards members of our own group, but actions that would be regarded as impermissible against members of our in-group can be considered quite acceptable when committed against outsiders. This usually involves rationalisations, such as regarding the other as less than human, or as a threat to our existence.

There might have been a time like with Chimps that neighbouring groups were there to be fought and murdered if you could get a chance.

Such disputes are usually competitions for resources, including territory and in some cases mates. Where resources are scarce it can be the case that "we must kill the other group or our group will die from lack of food".

So to stop this behaviour did it require some story as dramatic as Moses to change people? What calmed us down?

Civilisation calmed us down, somewhat. But mostly it's about less competition for resources. Look at the most war-torn regions of the world right now. Mostly, they are also among the poorest regions of the world, or the most affected by land degradation, desertification and other hardships.

wynn:

What you're saying applies only in regard to a demigod, but not God.

What's the difference?

Back