An Atheist on Judgement Day

@ antifreeze

I never mentioned anything about morality or leading a good life so what are you talking about?

The will of the Father is not that man should perish, but that all may come to Him.

§outh§tar said:
Matthew 7
2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

-§outh§tar

Matthew 18:31 - 35
"Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?' And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."

~Raithere

spidergoat said:
There is only one truth? I suppose I can accept that hypothetically, but none can describe it, since in using language to describe reality, something must always be left out.
§outh§tar said:
Could you explain that for me plz?
Truth in this case refers to the current situation, which, if we try to describe completely in language, is infinitely complex. Language is symbolic, it reduces reality down to managable packets, averaging phenomenon that could also be broken down further. There may be something out there, but the attempt to define it will always be incomplete. Any complete description of the universe must be as complex as the universe itself, and thus is incapable of being processed and understood within the context of this universe. So, the bible may be true about some things, but cannot be Truth.

Also, since we can only describe the thing from one point of view, which is always governed by the reducing valve of our own perception, any notion of a reality apart from one's perception is theoretical.

Raithere said:
Matthew 18:31 - 35
"Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?' And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."

~Raithere

John 7
24Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

spidergoat said:
Truth in this case refers to the current situation, which, if we try to describe completely in language, is infinitely complex. Language is symbolic, it reduces reality down to managable packets, averaging phenomenon that could also be broken down further. There may be something out there, but the attempt to define it will always be incomplete. Any complete description of the universe must be as complex as the universe itself, and thus is incapable of being processed and understood within the context of this universe. So, the bible may be true about some things, but cannot be Truth.

Also, since we can only describe the thing from one point of view, which is always governed by the reducing valve of our own perception, any notion of a reality apart from one's perception is theoretical.

To tell you the truth, I had to read through this a couple of times.. :eek:

But isn't that beginning with the presumption that the bible is not inspired by "something out there"?

antifreeze said:
then please do tell me what exactly the "will of the father" is.

What the Father wants man to do. I shan't try to explain it any further lest it turns into yet another discussion on free will..

§outh§tar said:
To tell you the truth, I had to read through this a couple of times.. :eek:

But isn't that beginning with the presumption that the bible is not inspired by "something out there"?

I'm saying that it could be inspired by something out there, but the presumption of the bible is that a part can reflect the whole, that the universe can be explained symbolically, and futhermore, that this symbolism is whole and complete. Science explains things symbolically, too, but they are very careful to point out that the symbols only make sense within a defined frame of reference. There is no frame of reference for the infinite. So we are asked to have faith in a thing that cannot be contained within the net of language.

Because we cannot go into someone else's mind and experience their thoughts, we never know for sure if they are experiencing the same reality that you are. There is no objective position that we can call Truth, there is only a consensus opinion. I'm not so sure there is such a thing, perhaps our perception creates the world, not that there is really a world to percieve. So, I am willing to accept a single reality (called Truth for lack of a better term) hypothetically, for the purposes of argument and practicality, but I don't trust this idea completely.

§outh§tar said:
John 7
24Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.

~Raithere

You are missing the point. I gave you the text so that you could interpret it for yourself. I try not to explain it as such, but rather just give the scripture with little explanation as possible so that you are not forced to see it through my "viewpoint" or interpretation or whatever.

You're missing the point. I own a bible, and this isn't bible class. Further to which, your text here isn't exactly accurate - because on your post you said:

"this should accurately describe them however"

Which shows that you have concurred with the biblical statement. I understand you're weak, but lying in attempt to get out of it is simply pathetic. Take responsibilty.

Seemingly this diplomatic way of presenting Scripture is construed by many to me being ignorant, narrow minded and so on.

No but your attempt to 'cover up' after with false claims is.

Perhaps I should be like most others and feed you lines about what I personally think it means, but alas, eitherway I am condemned.

You already did. However, if you had no intention of giving your personal thoughts to anything on this forum, I would ask why you're even here. Just to spam bible quotes?

Star, the fact M*W's frequently an idiot doesn't excuse the fact that basically every argument involving you quickly degenerates into you quoting the Bible. I have no problem with you being Christian, but at least try and find some other sources ... Anslem, maybe, or perhaps Aquinas.

StarOfEight said:
Star, the fact M*W's frequently an idiot doesn't excuse the fact that basically every argument involving you quickly degenerates into you quoting the Bible. I have no problem with you being Christian, but at least try and find some other sources ... Anslem, maybe, or perhaps Aquinas.

Guess who/what Aquinas based his stuff on? ;)

SnakeLord said:
You're missing the point. I own a bible, and this isn't bible class. Further to which, your text here isn't exactly accurate - because on your post you said:

"this should accurately describe them however"

Which shows that you have concurred with the biblical statement. I understand you're weak, but lying in attempt to get out of it is simply pathetic. Take responsibilty.

No but your attempt to 'cover up' after with false claims is.

You already did. However, if you had no intention of giving your personal thoughts to anything on this forum, I would ask why you're even here. Just to spam bible quotes?

Did you at all read what I said? :bugeye:

Yes I did. Sorry, was "Did you at all read what I said?" your only attempt at debating my return comments?

Said what 3 times?

To reiterate my point for you: It was simply to show my shock that anyone would concur with the text that claims atheists are all murderers, thieves, liars etc etc etc.

Last edited:
What the Father wants man to do.
so then stoning gay people, eh? i can't say it requires faith in god for a person to stone a homosexual. so then, agnostics, atheists, polytheists, etc. can do "the will of the father" as well as any christian. :p

Back